• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a booster pack (Triple Town) the moment I started Steam. Looks like you have chances of boosters dropping even when you are not online.

Also, level 10 -> 14 in one night. Dat Director of Acquisitions.

Binders have not hit yet. I assume they will when card prices hit rock bottom.

Also, SO MANY PEOPLE will get badges when prices hit rock bottom.

My only time listed in Brutal Legend is the time I loaded it up today to idle, but I noticed that game got me at least 5 random messages from people noting my playing it. I had to let them down and give them the real talk of what I was doing.

But anyway if my anecdotal experience is scientific, then start up Brutal Legend if you wanna break the ice with people.

Dreavus

I'm sitting at 4 Dota 2 cards (1 is a double), but I would need to finish the set before I am able to get any random boosters?

Seems counter intuitive. Why give more duplicates to people who have already finished the set? D:

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Huh, booster packs are tradable. Didn't realise that. See a few on the market. The Half Life 2 one is around £1.46 currently, although as the cards are only around 32-35p each anyway you may as well just buy the ones you want.

Edit: I meant marketable.

Wok

I'm sitting at 4 Dota 2 cards (1 is a double), but I would need to finish the set before I am able to get any random boosters?

Seems counter intuitive. Why give more duplicates to people who have already finished the set? D:

I am not convinced F2P games can get free boosters.

Oooh, so booster packs are marketable. Damnit, now I have to decide whether to sell the booster packs or gamble on getting a foil.

Are you sure you can get foil cards out of booster packs?

Hellix

Oooh, so booster packs are marketable. Damnit, now I have to decide whether to sell the booster packs or gamble on getting a foil.

GAMERG0D

Caerith

Wait a sec. Booster packs mean I have to idle games forever?
No, they're given out even if you're offline. Totally random, only requirement is using up all your card drops (for one game? for all games? who knows?) and using Steam at least once a week.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Foils went from $40 to $9-$4 in a heartbeat.

Replace "game" with "economy":
i-3RJ2qV5-950x10000.jpg

Tomodachi

No, they're given out even if you're offline. Totally random, only requirement is using up all your card drops (for one game? for all games? who knows?) and using Steam at least once a week.
That is an awesome idea, as expected. I would have felt obliged to idle everything in my library otherwise.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I at least expected the diehards to keep the economy going.

But nope.

There aren't that many of us and we only need a set amount of stuff, which (from what I've seen) we get pretty early on.

Normals and foils alike are gonna tank very hard. I purposely waited on foils and haven't bought a single one for this reason.

cicero

sure we get "some" money if we get on the market early (gonna be all 0.10 cents soon), and they get free promotion + a cut of the sales + bump in game sales from those who care about the fake number, etc.

I mean the rewards are backgrounds and icons that help promote certain games. It's all money and marketing.

It clearly has always been like this deep down but this just feels very apparent to me. I mean whatever, I was already ticked off when they did stuff like allow you to sell Beta access to things and take a cut from it, so I was bound to not like this a whole lot.

I obviously have the option to just not care about this and will continue to do so (and get some money for the summer sales by abusing it), but I dont think that makes my opinion invalid.

No, you are right, it doesn't make it invalid. I guess I just chose to see it as a more fun promotion than say a coal game that is exploited by a few and then ruined for most. I get card drops for games I already own or games that go on sale, I can sell or trade the cards for wallet credit or other cards I actually do want, and then craft badges for games I really like or to improve my level to get more showcases for my profile. I actually chose to spend a chunk of my wallet credit buying up FTL cards to create the full level 5 badge, simply because I love the game so much and wanted something FTLey on my profile. That is why I also paid for multiple cheap FTL profile backgrounds as well.

Everything I see from Valve is "apparent" to me in that they exist to make money and further and take advantage of the basic desires in their customers that make them more money. I can see that all in just a cynical light, or also take note of advantages it brings me. It isn't even costing me money to buy these trinkets, or even beta access, for my account, and what I don't buy I sell to purchase access to other games. I don't expect entirely altruistic motives or promotions from a private company, but I usually expect some benefit to consumers to come from profit based motives. Especially from a private company like Valve that seems to hold its ear closer to the ground when it comes to servicing and pleasing their customers/user base.

I do hope you end up having more fun with this whole thing than you seem to have had so far!

There aren't that many of us and we only need a set amount of stuff, which (from what I've seen) we get pretty early on.

Normals and foils alike are gonna tank very hard. I purposely waited on foils and haven't bought a single one for this reason.

Festive TF2 items still go for $40.

Salsa

No, you are right, it doesn't make it invalid. I guess I just chose to see it as a more fun promotion than say a coal game that is exploited by a few and then ruined for most. I get card drops for games I already own or games that go on sale, I can sell or trade the cards for wallet credit or other cards I actually do want, and then craft badges for games I really like or to improve my level to get more showcases for my profile. I actually chose to spend a chunk of my wallet credit buying up FTL cards to create the full level 5 badge, simply because I love the game so much and wanted something FTLey on my profile. That is why I also paid for multiple cheap FTL profile backgrounds as well.

Everything I see from Valve is "apparent" to me in that they exist to make money and further and take advantage of the basic desires in their customers that make them more money. I can see that all in just a cynical light, or also take note of advantages it brings me. It isn't even costing me money to buy these trinkets, or even beta access, for my account, and what I don't buy I sell to purchase access to other games. I don't expect entirely altruistic motives or promotions from a private company, but I usually expect some benefit to consumers to come from profit based motives. Especially from a private company like Valve that seems to hold its ear closer to the ground when it comes to servicing and pleasing their customers/user base.

I do hope you end up having more fun with this whole thing than you seem to have had so far!

I guess im just commenting on it from a different place. It obviously does nothing for me other than get me a couple bucks, when you get down to it, I just dont like it from a more general perspective on what they are focusing on and what it could mean as they move forward.

It's just getting weird and it strikes me as a bit iffy. I was all about them trying new things and ways to market/promote/play with f2p stuff and all that, but it's getting to a point where i'd just rather they focused elsewhere first. Steam is still so behind when it comes to other features that it just kinda rubs me to see them putting their efforts towards something like this. Then again who even knows how this all works internally.

I also dont wanna come off as someone who was all "valve magic!" before and didnt think these were all a money-driven company's decisions, just that this time around I feel it could have been implemented better and be more rewarding than just idling for money (for us and them).

I'll live, continue to use Steam like always and buying/playing games. Just a thought.

It'll be interesting what they do for the SUMMER SALE (and going by my badges, it's weird that the past sales didn't even start in Summer Proper) to keep interest. SUMMER SALE 2013 badge ftw!

Jørdan

Anyone know a way to remove a game from Featured Games in the Game Collector showcase? I know you can replace with something else yet I would like to remove some. Similar to the badges, initially you were unable to remove a badge until they added that ability later on.

cicero

Yeah I don't know what's up with some of the card values like Blocks That Matter, Brutal Legend and Anodyne. They're selling worse than freaking TF2.

I am not understanding Anodyne prices at all. I can understand how a huge 2,000 cards available would depress TF2 prices down to 30 cents, not 30 cents for cards that only have 60-70 available though. Unless people who were buying lots of cards to craft are no longer doing so like they were.

Jørdan;64726536 said:
Anyone know a way to remove a game from Featured Games in the Game Collector showcase? I know you can replace with something else yet I would like to remove some. Similar to the badges, initially you were unable to remove a badge until they added that ability later on.
I'm not sure you can just have blank spaces instead of games. Just replace the ones you don't want with games you do have and want on your showcase selection.

Hawkie

Jørdan;64726536 said:

As far as I know you can't remove a game "space" but you can have the general Steam logo in place of a game by selecting a piece of DLC/game that doesn't have an image available (Civ5 dlc for example).

Dawg

Got my first foil card while I was afk on FTL and chatting with a friend lol.

€3,65 average on the market, oh well. No idea what I should do next. Not like I will get the remaining 7.

Jørdan

I'm not sure you can just have blank spaces instead of games. Just replace the ones you don't want with games you do have and want on your showcase selection.

Ok thanks, that will have to do. Was toying around with the new profile (7>10) and found I couldn't remove unfortunately.

As far as I know you can't remove a game "space" but you can have the general Steam logo in place of a game by selecting a piece of DLC/game that doesn't have an image available (Civ5 dlc for example).

Ah, thanks I'll give that a try.

Forkball

Glad to see Skulls of the Shogun is coming. I felt sorry that the developer could only release it on Windows 8 related products.

You know, after seeing the :dealwithit: SMB icon I hope FEZ adds Steam Cards support soon.

I'd kill for a :chokeonit: or a :spreadsheets: icon!

Chronoja

wake up, have jumped 5 - 6 steam levels. Game industry guardian badge. feels good.

Have booster packs been figured out yet. There's conflicting reports everywhere between people saying you get them from playing after the card drops to others saying you get them just for using steam. I hope it's just for using steam in general....keep this meta game literally meta.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
wake up, have jumped 5 - 6 steam levels. Game industry guardian badge. feels good.

Have booster packs been figured out yet. There's conflicting reports everywhere between people saying you get them from playing after the card drops to others saying you get them just for using steam. I hope it's just for using steam in general....keep this meta game literally meta.

I just got a Booster pack for Trine 2... And I didn't play Trine 2 in like three days.
I don't know what to make of this.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Nice, i jumped from Level 12 to level 16 and i got this badge.
FxRtIqK.png

I'm back at level 0, what? I was like 5.
Now I have a "Level up" button.
How does it work?

Edit: Level 8 now. :lol

I've also got "Power Player" badge, 162 games owned.

Chronoja

My rarest achievement according to the Achievement showcase...is Worms Winner from Worms Revolution. 0.36% of people have "completed all the single player content" of this game. A simultaneously depressing and enlightening statistic.

theytookourjobz

I've got plenty of badges and maxed out my drops for plenty of games but no booster packs yet :(.

Valve did decide to be a bunch of stealth bastards overnight and give me a badge for my game collection though!

N5ZJN-660X3-VXGGY

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Festive TF2 items still go for $40.

They were a one time thing, only during the holiday, and required a key to get.

If cards keep dropping, they won't be worth nearly as much.

They'll get a boost for the summer sale depending on what they due, then continue to drop as long as they keep dropping.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
What's the deal with super meat boy cards? I've played 65 minutes an haven't had a single drop? Special criteria required for this?
Leave it idling while inside a level. When I did that, I got three cards in thirty-forty minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom