• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh god, I'm flipping foils now.
Buy low, sell high!

What have you done to me, lord Gaben...

Well, at least you're going to learn how bad it is to be a speculator in a chaotic market that has no intrinsic value.

The good news is that it's low stakes. It IS low stakes for you, isn't it?

Yeah, giving it 24 hours at most, if they don't sell, I'm relisting them for a price that gets me my cost back.

Classic.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Which may work for longer games, but what about the shorter 'indie' games? Thomas was Alone took me about 3 hours i think...could power through that in a night borrowed from someone else w/o buying my own copy.
Yeah, I don't know how they are going to prevent that. I'm sure you won't get cards from a borrowed game, but with their prices being lower and lower, that may not be enough incentive to purchase your own copy.

Chronoja

I'm selling all my Brutal Legend cards, even if they go for 30 cents. I have faith that the people collecting these things will run out long before the idiots who will keep undercutting prices until they go down to 3 cents (market minimum).

This is hilarious. Since everyone was so happy gouging the market prices and making a quick buck off the idea the moment the prices start crashing and the market flooded with cards it's suddenly panic stations for everyone looking to sell. Now with booster packs they are no longer a time limited commodity and should fall in price accordingly. I for one can not wait until they hit rock bottom prices.

Turfster

Well, at least you're going to learn how bad it is to be a speculator in a chaotic market that has no intrinsic value.

The good news is that it's low stakes. It IS low stakes for you, isn't it?

Classic.

Hey, I've done this professionally with real markets, but the steam market is just too crazy to really go for it. And like you say, it's pretty low stakes.

I'm selling all my Brutal Legend cards, even if they go for 30 cents. I have faith that the people collecting these things will run out long before the idiots who will keep undercutting prices until they go down to 3 cents (market minimum).

I've dumped all of my cards on the market for this reason. I figure in the not too distant future that I'll be able to buy all of the cards needed to craft a badge for 3-10 cents a piece.

Overdoziz

Banned
I have a crazy amount of input lag while playing Witcher 2.

--

Is there a limit to the amount of cards you can get for a game? I know you can only get half the cards for a game by 'playing' it and you have to buy the rest, but what happens if you sell all your cards? Will you just keep getting them? Is there a way to see if you've reached the limit?

allansm

I looked at the price history of Trine 2, FTL and They Bleed Pixels cards and it seems that there is a huge decrease in price in the first two days, then prizes increase a little and stabilize. Some Trine 2 cards are selling for more now than what I sold them last week. I usually sell my cards as soon as I get them, but with the race to the bottom that's going on right now, I might as well wait and hope I can sell them for a few cents more in a few days.

I don't get it. Can anyone explain?

996ab8ebbdbf962c095423b8f949d5ea.png

I ne\/er recie\/ed a card in-game before but Steam says I ha\/e none remaining?

(using \/ cause my proper key isn't working)

Joe Danger PC trailer reveals entire cast of Team Fortress 2 as playable, Minecraft stages included

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/19/joe...ress-2-as-playable-minecraft-stages-included/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KbGmbEAx32Y

Throwing my money at the screen right now.

Can't wait for this.

Rufus

For DOTA2 and TF2, you need to have spent money in those games to be eligible for drops (so that people don't create hundreds of accounts just to idle for drops). In DOTA2 the limit is 9$ I think.

edit: Too slow, bla.

Macka

What is all the fuss around Arkham City and BioShock 2 both testing builds? What are people expecting to come from this?

Tenrius

So, how much did you make off cards? I made at least $50, probably $60 in total. About $25 of those were from two Brutal Legend foils.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Science complete: Monaco left open 8 hours, no booster drops. I wonder if they're in for all games or if they have to be put in by the creators. I'll have to try this with a game that has confirmed boosters later.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Has anyone run the numbers on how much they're making on cards vs. the cost to acquire the cards?

Like, how much they're using in electricity, wear and tear on the machine, etc.?

Science complete: Monaco left open 8 hours, no booster drops. I wonder if they're in for all games or if they have to be put in by the creators. I'll have to try this with a game that has confirmed boosters later.

I got my booster pack yesterday from Bit.Trip while I was playing FTL and I've read about other people getting their drop while not even online in Steam.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely. It'll give me something to work towards!

I play as well if you guys want some more competition

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jakehandy

Still working on the last achievement, getting pretty close though.
Great! I'll accept/add you when I get internet back. Which may take a while... Ugh.

Can't wait for this.
Dude, why write like that? If you're V key isn't working, you can always find a post where it's written and use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to... Oh, I see.

You should get a new keyboard as soon as you can.

Knurek

Dude, why write like that? If you're V key isn't working, you can always find a post where it's written and use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to... Oh, I see.

Actually, you can use Shift+Insert and Ctrl+Insert for those as well, so there's really no excuse.

ArjanN

I made a Twitter account.

JIUd50d.png

Interesting.

And Securom too.

Also it sets an interesting precedent where we might see GFWL removed from other games as well.
And the possibility of a Halo Steam release, though this is quite a stretch.

There were also these two:

On August 31, 2012, Gotham City Impostors became free-to-play and dropped Games for Windows – LIVE in favor of Steamworks.

On October 10, 2012, the Steam version of Toy Soldiers is fully using Steamworks, although still gives the option of use GfWL.

Zia

Has anyone run the numbers on how much they're making on cards vs. the cost to acquire the cards?

Like, how much they're using in electricity, wear and tear on the machine, etc.?

Being the, um... embarrassingly stereotypically stingy person that I am, I haven't run the numbers, but I've rationalized it this way: our apt is somehow tied into the "house" electricity (don't tell my landlord), so we don't pay for that and I'm idling for cards for both the BF and I on my iMac, which I plan on replacing next refresh.

So, I've (unfortunately) put more thought into it than most.

That would be quite interesting. Maybe Steam and the energy industries have an agreement to make us use more time our PC's

Received a Trine 2 booster pack while Steam was running in the background.

Now, to sell or to unpack and hope for a foil...

that is the magical question. I guess check the card prices on a worst case scenario and see what the different between selling the pack or selling the 3 cards individually.

Screw games....Valve should just turn into a full on card-stock market. Sick bastards.

We must go Deeper Lower!

Eh, especially if you leave it on a static start menu and idle it, I am sure the costs are negligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom