• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternia

So I decided to play Civilization V today and even though I've already played it, the message window popped up that it's performing first time setup and it apparently needs to install Direct 9(!) in 42 (!) steps, each taking 30-60 seconds. What a joke, even installing games on PS3 takes quicker. Valve should do something about installing all those APIs when downloading the game, not when activating it. And it could seriously make a simple check if I already have the required DirectX version installed, this is ridiculous.
They're not allowed to install them directly instead of running the installer.

HoosTrax

Final Fantasy VII on steam now and a perfect day to release it lol.
Gold_Saucer_outside.jpg

Indeed...

Cth

Anyone know if Thief Deadly Shadows has gamepad support? I'm fine with KB/M in 2D games, but 3D...haven't adjusted yet.

According to google.

Also, check out the page in the Steam store, if it's supported it'll have it noted.

EDIT: Google Thief Deadly Shadows Gamepad and Pinnacle

Alan Wake has such a great atmosphere, glad I finally got back to replaying it, stopped around April when I went on holiday and never managed to get back into it. Trading card incentives for the win!

Cth

Alan Wake has such a great atmosphere, glad I finally got back to replaying it, stopped around April when I went on holiday and never managed to get back into it. Trading card incentives for the win!

The collectors edition for the xbox had a hardcover book with more info/story tie-ins.

More people need to check that stuff out.. I wish more games did that sort of thing. Reminds me of the old days with Infocom.

According to google.

Also, check out the page in the Steam store, if it's supported it'll have it noted.

EDIT: Google Thief Deadly Shadows Gamepad and Pinnacle
Good to know, but someone on Steam Forums also said that it costs $$ for anything more than a free trial.

And so just plugging in my 360 controller wouldn't work?

smr00

Banned
I started playing earlier today thanks to user Buttonbasher and i absolutely love the game. I never picked it up when it initially released on xbox or PC because i always assumed it was some boring cheap scare horror game until i was told it's more like a psychological thriller and boy oh boy is it.

I can't wait to dive back into the game later. What i did find highly amusing about the game was when i initially started it, it said my computer was under the recommended settings yet i run it maxed out at way over 60fps.

Cth

Good to know, but someone on Steam Forums also said that it costs $$ for anything more than a free trial.

And so just plugging in my 360 controller wouldn't work?

Dunno just going by the very brief google search I tried.

Generally, unless they've added support natively, you need to use a third party program like Pinnacle or JoyToPad (among others) to get it to work.

smr00

Banned
New GMG 6 hour deals. There is also a 10% off voucher you can use with these:
What is the 10% off? Can you use it on multiple orders?

Thinking about getting them (prices before 10% off)

Overlord $1.69
Overlord 2 $2.49
Overloord Raising Hell $2.49

Wasn't I playing Alan Wake? This is Alan Wake: American Nightmare, not the same game, and it's 2GB, took 5min on my 100mbit connection
Yeah 2GB takes no time at all. I have like a 15mb connection and downloaded it by the time i used the bathroom and took a smoke break.

Chronoja

What is the 10% off? Can you use it on multiple orders?

Thinking about getting them (prices before 10% off)

Overlord $1.69
Overlord 2 $2.49
Overloord Raising Hell $2.49

Yes you can use the code on multiple games but only if you purchase them one at a time. It's an annoying little thing you have to do with GMG, the coupon can't be applied to a total of multiple games, yet.

Cth

I started playing earlier today thanks to user Buttonbasher and i absolutely love the game. I never picked it up when it initially released on xbox or PC because i always assumed it was some boring cheap scare horror game until i was told it's more like a psychological thriller and boy oh boy is it.

I can't wait to dive back into the game later. What i did find highly amusing about the game was when i initially started it, it said my computer was under the recommended settings yet i run it maxed out at way over 60fps.

They had a lot of ambitious stuff planned early on.. there should still be footage of some tech demos out there.. always fun to look back afterwards to compare.

IE::
(2005)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXwOgU4PeuY
(2006)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD3BfgPWTOA
(2007)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqT3YUr30_E

I was interested because of the Stephen King comparison.. later I found out there's a lot of Twin Peaks in the game too (which I still need to see)

I know which one it was, but it's ok, let's say it was Alan Wake and everyone will be happy.

I do understand your confusion. Alan Wake is indeed a 8GB game, but I already had it, and I did play it this afternoon (and got a couple of acheivments). But this one is not the same game (and from the stress test I just ran, it runs better than the original Alan Wake). This is not a full-blown retail game. Came out on Xbox Live Arcade for 15$, while the original was a full retail game.

Why would I want another one (may say to trade, bla bla, but come on...)

Divius

I was interested because of the Stephen King comparison.. later I found out there's a lot of Twin Peaks in the game too (which I still need to see)
Yeah, Alan Wake is basically a mix of Stephen King and Twin Peaks. I love the atmosphere, gameplay and story. Good stuff.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
What's the consensus on Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed? I have literally never heard of this game until the sale that started today.

Is it any good?

Salsa

Because people are willing to pay more. It has been the top seller since it was released.
I can understand most of the complaints, but the price is not one of them.

it's a 16 year old game and a 15 year old port (did they even do something to it?)

it's not an HD remake thing or anything like that as far as I know. $12 is too much.

HoosTrax

What's the consensus on Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed? I have literally never heard of this game until the sale that started today.

Is it any good?
Must-have if you're even remotely a SEGA (old-school that is) fan. Very enjoyable game even if you're not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom