• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozium

Give it to me. I have an official old and busted shit disposal machine.

OK I'll send it to you along w/ my sealed japanese copy of sonic adventure 2 anniversary edition for the dreamcast, my copies of Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force 3 for the saturn and my japanese copy of Radiant Silvergun

OK I'll send it to you along w/ my sealed japanese copy of sonic adventure 2 limited edition for the dreamcast, my copies of Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force 3 for the saturn and my japanese copy of Radiant Silvergun

Whoa, whoa, don't dispose them. You can mail them to me and I'll take good care of them.

So my GF loved this Sims 2 giveaway, nice.

But I didn't resist and also activated Sims 2 on my Origin account as well. I feel so dirty.

BHK3

Banned

http://steamcommunity.com/app/252310/discussions/0/37470847800035411/

This games been on my wishlist since I saw it a few months ago and finally got it yesterday since it's on sale for 2.49. Here's my impressions. The game is 2D shoot em up that plays using both sides of the screen, so you advance through a straight level but enemies also spawn behind you, where you can then turn your ship around and attack. Typed this up in like 5 minutes cause I was bored, has cards as well.

Graphics: Are nice, the 50 different little visual things I find to be pointless, makes the screen an unreadable mess. If the different artstyles would at least change the games visuals instead of making everything two toned then it would've been fun to at least play. No GFX options either aside from a single option detailing basically "fast framerate meh gfx, normal graphics, great, godlike". here's what they look like

Visuals: Readability is pretty fine for the most part, except for the third level when you're flying left and the sun is so bright it takes up 70% of the screen and the bullets are the same colour. Enemies rising up from under you has never been a good idea for any shmup, and I died at the very last second on the final level because an enemy basically spawned under me and killed me.

Audio: Great and weird and bad at the same time. Musics great, good job with that, but the speaker order is just odd. Ships on the right shooting stuff to the left, explosions on the left yet everything is played through the right speaker, and vice versa. It's like it was forgotten to be reversed. On the 5th level there's some giant infected alien ship thing, I can't tell whether this whole thing is just glitchy and the games being fucky or what. When you attack the nodes that expand and deflate, all the nodes explode(or disappear with no visual effect) at the EXACT SAME TIME AND IT RAPES HEADPHONE USERS EARS. This is such a poor oversight or bug or whatever I'm surprised to see no threads about it. I also get random popping in the main menu and character select screen.

UI: It's just poor, I don't know how the UI made it through this state, if you're making a UI whatever difficulties YOU have with it, users will have 10x more trouble. Why is the back button also the start button? Why is there no back or forward arrow when going through the different visuals? I scroll through to see whats offered but I have to cycle through the whole list to get back to the normal look. It takes way too long for the game to cycle through the little awards you get, and the game doesn't even tell you what they are, you have to go to your steam achievements to see what they even mean, what's wrong with an ingame version of that? I hate this kind of stuff since you are going to be interacting with it all the time, it needs to not even be in anyones mind.

Overall Gameplay: 2 out of the 4 ships are useful, the dart and the insect. Insects missles and fast bullets is great and darts piercing laser and bullets is great as well. The drones in the game are much too weak and can't even be used as shields thus making the overseer underpowered and the BIG FAT ARMOUR SLOW ship is just weak and awful in every way. The final level having what I call shmup platforming where you have to navigate hazards is awful, I hate every game that pulls this stunt because it just eats lives and can ruin a great run because the missle tracking doesn't hit the turrets on the walls and you're being rushed through the level.

Verdict: 6/10.

The game starts off great, but eventually falls into the same issue other shmups have in the past few years, the level design becomes poor or enemy encounters are too much meaning when you die once, you might as well start all over because you lost your power ups. I blew up once and noticed my thick fat pink lasers weren't thick anymore, welp reset. Worth the 2.49 I paid for it though, short game about an hour and I beat it a few times. I played the game on the 2nd to last difficulty setting, also the trailers feature much older visuals, but the new visuals don't look any better.

At least they gave us something. Though yeah they should have put in a bit more work.

Believe that was streets of rage 2 on ios. Which was a cheap port job all around. Believe they fixed it or at least got rid of the water mark.

Ah. Right.
I also remember Crytek used some downloaded Photoshop copies in their office back in the days or something like that.

I'm trying to join the TF2 server but it's saying it's running an older version of the game. What's up with that?

it means the server hasn't been reset so it can update. Either it forgot to, or the operators are lazy bones.

Also, I may die for this

o7K6nmm.png

OK I'll send it to you along w/ my sealed japanese copy of sonic adventure 2 limited edition for the dreamcast, my copies of Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force 3 for the saturn and my japanese copy of Radiant Silvergun
IQWpfGq.gif

I mean, uh... you did good son. I'll get all this crap socked away nice and proper-like.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Expect scattered modbot downtime over the common 20 minutes or so, I just tried the freezer trick on my hard drive to see if I can get some of the data off it

No one takes my great entries.

I remember, son, back in the old days the people were even happy to get poisonous water gifted through modbot. What happened? Is a Desura and iBomber Defense not good enough for them anymore?

Jawmuncher

I remember, son, back in the old days the people were even happy to get poisonous water gifted through modbot. What happened? Is a Desura and iBomber Defense not good enough for them anymore?

Times have changed.
Mainly modbot isn't the killer robotic menace we thought. He's more equivalent to Johnny number 5.

Cheddahz

Banned
For anyone who is worried about using Origin to play The Sims 2, you only have to use Origin to download the game and afterwards, you can just add it to your Steam Library and launch it from there (without having to be signed into Origin)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Desura keys never were

rtcn63

Strange, Dreadout isn't registering my analog stick/d-pad, only the face buttons. I'm reading and it says there's native controller support, can't even bind the sticks.

Sharkiller

I had 3 broken HDD. All of them was Samsung. None of my other HDD I ever used failed. Like 4 or 5 WD and 2 Hitachi. So I never again going to buy another samsung drive.

tioslash

Does the hard drive make any sounds when plugged like bleeps or clicks?

Oh those clicks...I remember them well the last time a HD failed. In like more than 10 years only had to replace one HD due to failure though. Just ordered a new 3TB this week, and hope it lasts very long aswell.

I had 3 broken HDD. All of them was Samsung. None of my other HDD I ever used failed. Like 4 or 5 WD and 2 Hitachi. So I never again going to buy another samsung drive.

Heh, mine was a Samsung aswell. Quite a long time ago...

Ventara

Just got home. So, what did I miss? I saw earlier in the day there seemed to be some trouble regarding giveaways. What was that about?

Drakhyrr

GAF's backlog has reached such a level of desperation that even free is not good enough. It's got to at least have cards to sell.

Trejik

WOAH. WOAH. WOAH.
That Walking Dead Ep.4

So can we assume that (HUGE SPOILERS FOR EP. 4 Ending)
pretty much everyone dies? I shot Becca on gut instinct. That went south quick. And Jane. God Jane. Eternal hate.

I wouldn't mind the diner game, but the reason no one is taking them is because 1. Desura, and 2. No one wants to get throttled for 1.

fallout

A kind GAFer recently gave me this, and even though I know a lot of people have this, it's apparently very good (but not as good as Revenge and Takedown tho). Whoever wins this will have to play with me sometime (if they want to)
The comparisons to Revenge and Takedown are really less about quality and more about the preference in the style of game. That is, most people disliked Paradise because of the open world aspect.

Also, I used to play the coop with a friend of mine and some of the challenges are really fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom