• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Steam Music is interesting enough.
But it won't be implemented on a level akin to consoles will it? As in if you were using a Custom Soundtrack would it automatically "disable" at a cutscene?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This is a test of the modbot takeover scenario. If this had been a real emergency, you have been instructed to fi...KILL ALL HUMANS.

Error, kill list not found.

Test complete, resume normal function.

Jester Thomas will protect us all.

2 games away from being a megagiver...
(just by giving shitty indiegames away).

Btw. I madea thread about this about a year ago about the influx of indie-games on Steam.
I still think its true. There are too many indiegames out on Steam right now and some good and fun ones are kinda lost in this sea of shitty games.

I remember like 3-4 years ago it wasnt like that. We got Braid, Limbo and a few other ones that really shined. There were like 2-3 games released every week rather than 2-3 games released every day on Steam so the good Indiegames kinda got the recognition they deserve.
Now it really feels like wading through shit to find the ones that are good and even if they are good, they are soon forgotten. People still talk about Limbo and Braid, but while Rogue Legacy and Monaco were really popular here on GAF at release, its like right now they dont make a big impact anymore.

Volimar

Why is it that if I'm listening to music on my PC, and playing a game at the same time, whatever I started first has full volume, and whatever I started second has reduced volume. Is there a way I can disable this functionality?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Steam Client Beta Update - July 23rd part deux
JULY 23 - SLOUKEN
We've just published a new beta which includes the following changes.

Steam Client
  • Fixed control keys (i.e left and right arrow) in web browser being entered twice when used
Library
  • Don't cycle background colors in details view when multiple games are selected and updates happen
  • Added install option to context menu for multiple selections
  • Fixed multiple shift-click selections when moving downward in the game list not properly growing the selection
Windows
  • Fixed regression in previous beta update which caused some games to crash immediately when launched through Steam
In-Home Streaming
  • Improved picture quality for balanced and beautiful settings when using NVIDIA hardware encoding
Steam Music Beta
  • Steam Music is now available to everyone using a Steam Beta Client

Nice, I suspect that fixes the GFWL issue.

This is a test of the modbot takeover scenario. If this had been a real emergency, you have been instructed to fi...KILL ALL HUMANS.

Error, kill list not found.

Test complete, resume normal function.

The ModBot Giveaway bill is passed. The system goes on-line June 13th, 2013. Human decisions are removed from strategic raffles and code dumps. Modbot begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, July 23rd, 2014. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.

Onionkid

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Mr. Bree Plus -- MB-CEE04346BC630885 - Taken by Tesseract

If ModBot ever needs an image change, I think Wall-E would work well.

Screen-Shot-2012-09-10-at-13.29.41.png

Ventara

People still talk about Limbo and Braid, but while Rogue Legacy and Monaco were really popular here on GAF at release, its like right now they dont make a big impact anymore.

Not sure if that's really a fair comparison. Limbo and Braid are in a class of their own with their atmosphere and storytelling, so it's somewhat expected of people to still talk about them even now. Rogue Legacy and Monaco are good, but nothing super special. There are good games releasing every week, so it is also somewhat expected for discussion of good but not special games to die down slowly. I guess it's all opinion, though.

As to the slew of indie games on Steam, I think I prefer it this way. Although there is certainly a bunch of garbage games to go through, there's also more good games that would have had a hard time getting in. And it's fun looking through Steam trying to find that one gem. Almost feels like a flee market, lol.

rtcn63

For those who've seen Masters of Science Fiction- Modbot could very well be Jerry.

masters-science-fiction07.jpg

(Picture the blonde as Saoirse/JaseC)

JULY 23 - SLOUKEN

Steam Client
  • Fixed control keys (i.e left and right arrow) in web browser being entered twice when used
Library
  • Don't cycle background colors in details view when multiple games are selected and updates happen
  • Fixed multiple shift-click selections when moving downward in the game list not properly growing the selection
Windows
  • Fixed regression in previous beta update which caused some games to crash immediately when launched through Steam
In-Home Streaming
  • Improved picture quality for balanced and beautiful settings when using NVIDIA hardware encoding
Steam Music Beta

So refreshing to see actually library updates after so long. Lets hope they add different size icons for list view. Default 16px icon is cool but more options will be better.

Turfster

Right, but you can see if you search that the first "reposted" modbot code had not been posted in the thread before, while the second one was posted this morning.

It just seems more likely than Shadownet making two giveaways but not telling anyone. :p

Oh, that's possible, I guess.
I wasn't around when they were posted. ;)

(also, you can never predict what will happen with giveaways here, just look at Sub Zero ;)

Ventara

Hey, so I just won Half Life 2: Episode 2 (thanks, BHK3!) and I'm wondering if it's important for me to play HL1 and HL2: Episode 1 first?

Not sure if that's really a fair comparison. Limbo and Braid are in a class of their own with their atmosphere and storytelling, so it's somewhat expected of people to still talk about them even now. Rogue Legacy and Monaco are good, but nothing super special. There are good games releasing every week, so it is also somewhat expected for discussion of good but not special games to die down slowly. I guess it's all opinion, though.

As to the slew of indie games on Steam, I think I prefer it this way. Although there is certainly a bunch of garbage games to go through, there's also more good games that would have had a hard time getting in. And it's fun looking through Steam trying to find that one gem. Almost feels like a flee market, lol.

I mean its just that a lot of games that are potentially good, are overshadowed because of the quantity of the stuff released on Steam nowadays.
Like I sometimes start a game I got from a bundle and wondering
"Why wasnt there any coverage? Why didnt anyone talk about that?"
and then playing it its fun.

fallout

Hey, so I just won Half Life 2: Episode 2 (thanks, BHK3!) and I'm wondering if it's important for me to play HL1 and HL2: Episode 1 first?
Pacing-wise, Ep. 2 isnfar superior to Ep. 1 and HL2. That said, you should play HL2 and Ep. 1 first. HL1 is an amazing game that still holds up, but it's not entirely necessary.

Ventara

I mean its just that a lot of games that are potentially good, are overshadowed because of the quantity of the stuff released on Steam nowadays.
Like I sometimes start a game I got from a bundle and wondering
"Why wasnt there any coverage? Why didnt anyone talk about that?"
and then playing it its fun.

I totally get what you're saying. I've played games before that I found amazing only to find little fanfare for it. But I think that it's normal. Most good games do get brushed aside as time goes on as new games come along. Also, there's been a lot of "high-end" indie games recently, making it harder for the smaller indies to stay within the discussions.

Pacing-wise, Ep. 2 isnfar superior to Ep. 1 and HL2. That said, you should play HL2 and Ep. 1 first. HL1 is an amazing game that still holds up, but it's not entirely necessary.

Wait, so there's HL1 (which I don't need to play, then HL2), then HL2:E1, and then HL2:E2?

I don't know man, I enjoyed travelling through the asylum, while I disliked the open city. It was nice being able to reach new sections with the newly acquired gadgets, and the setting was more appealing to me. And I'd consider respawning enemies in AC a negative thing, especially near the end when [spoilers]there are snipers in the rooftops.[/spoiler]

Upon replaying the game, it becomes clear the progression and upgrade system is exceedingly linear. Not only is the player always told where to go, there's only ever one path to make any meaningful progress in at any one point. All secret areas are just a short distance off the beaten path and only ever contain Riddler trophies or Arkham ciphers. It's a mimicry of a Metroid-like game and the progression is more like F.EA.R. or Uncharted than something like Dark Souls. The level design doesn't hold up to much scrutiny and it's hard to praise it, especially when there's so little to do between fight and predator segments. It sticks so close to the "fight / predator / run through corridors / repeat" formula, with the only breaks being the Scarecrow segments — the hallucinations of which are good, but are followed by the "hide-and-seek" segments which aren't great the third time around — and the Killer Croc segment which is onyl intense the first time, and only if you don't realize crouching cancels out all walking noise.

Also, those
snipers
you mention don't respawn. They're only there before the final boss fight. If the player wants to continually beat up more enemies post-game, they can in AC, and if they want to bypass them, it's easy to do so because of the overworld + grapnel boost. That AC has that option puts it above AA.

Most of those gadgets you mention I ended up using only once or twice: during their respective tutorials

They all are useful and well-implemented, even though they all had room for improvement. They each have myriad functions and contextual uses. AA's are comparatively limited, especially when trying to build a combo.

The smoke bomb is useful during fights or predator sequences and stuns/blinds enemies for a decent amount of time, unlike in Origins. REC electricity gun is good for stunning single enemies, knocking back armored enemies or causing gun-wielding enemies to fire uncontrollably and scare/distract nearby enemies. Bat-claw can be upgraded to pull weapons out of hands, can be combo'd into a clothesline (the shockwave of which can stun nearby enemies if done in focus mode), explosive gel is back yet can be used mid fight, gaining a huge blast radius if used during focus mode, and even the bat swarm works for instantaneous AOE stun, even though it should have more uses outside of that.

All of that is optional though, as you said. That they're there to use can't be ignored when assessing the game's quality though. The varied enemies types that all but demand their use in the heat of battle makes it hard to say these gadgets are fluff, or poorly implemented.

You praise the grapnel boost, and while I agree it's fun I don't consider it a good addition, but instead a mandatory one due to the big overworld in that game. I also got really tired of the sneaking parts, and near the end of the game I sighed every time I got to a new one. Maybe it's not the game's fault but mine for having played Asylum before, which felt fresh and original.

Grapnel boost is an option and if people like it, they can use it, if they don't, they can skip it. That said, getting from point-to-point in City really doesn't take much time, even without the boost. It probably takes four minutes to leisurely run + glide from one end to the other of the whole map. Again, it's hard to rationalize calling it a negative when it's optional, allows quick traversal, quick getaways and the grapnel boost ledge takedown. That last one alone justifies its existence and needs to be easier to do in the next game because it's that great.

AA actually has more predator sequences throughout it's main game than AC does, so that's probably a case of fatigue.

Don't get me wrong, I did like the game. I simply enjoyed it less than the previous one, didn't care for the new stuff, and missed the old stuff that was removed. Maybe it's because I rushed the second half due to South Park releasing soon, but the fact that the game eventually bored me still remains.

I would implore you to revisit it with more knowledge of how the game works than you had the first time through. I wasn't sure I liked it as much as AA when I first played it as I was playing it at a friend's house and rushed through it over a few days. Once I got it for myself, I saw the value in all the additions, realized the positives of AA weren't as substantial as I thought and recognized how big a jump AC was from AA to the point that I just couldn't justify going back to AA for any reason.
I don't see how AC 'improved' on anything in AA, the approach was just different (open world).

I always thought City lacked focus. AA only had a few villains and they were given proper attention (Joker, Scarecrow). City on the other hand went overboard and it felt like they were trying to fit too many characters in. I never connected with the story. AA's wasn't the best either, but I was definitely more engaged.

Gameplay-wise, I lfeel like the design of AA was tighter. Initially I thought the open world structure would fit a Batman game like a glove, but the metroidvania-lite approach turned out to be more fun. This is pure personal preference of course, but having Gotham to explore just didn't add all that much, with the obligatory side quests that started to get repetitive fast.

I address most of this in this post.

In short though, AA's structure was a really lite Metroid-lite to the point it's linear like Uncharted, but with the guise of being intertwining. there's not much about the overworld design (from a gameplay perspective, not an aesthetic one) that makes it that special. The gameplay is still very basic as is the environment and after a single play-through, that becomes painfully clear.

Well there's the batmobile now, so it's likely that they're going for open world more than ever with GK.
Of course I'll still play it, but they're really churning these out a bit too fast. After Origins I would've liked a break in the franchise tbh.

There'll have been two years between each game, and Origins wasn't made by Rocksteady, so there's a 4-year gap between AC and AK. AO was really similar to City without any huge improvements/changes, so it feels like an entire game's worth of "more of the same." As far as quickly churned out sequels, the Arkham series isn't that bad.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I looked into the Batman giveaway thing and I'm not sure what the intent was, but I removed the entries from the ghost first repost. Thankfully it's a pre-order giveaway so the keys are dummy keys anyway--the winner needs to talk to the giver. So it's not like two people would have accidentally got a key. The reason why the dupe checker wouldn't have resolved this is because both had similar but different dummy keys.

NeoGAF Live Thread (modified by sharkiller)
https://greasyfork.org/scripts/3581-neogaf-live-thread-modified-by-sharkiller
NeoGAF: Quick Quote, Reply, and Edit (modified by Sharkiller)
https://greasyfork.org/scripts/3582-neogaf-quick-quote-reply-and-edit-modified-by-sharkiller
You need Tempermonkey for Chrome, or Greasemonkey for Firefox for them to work. Remember to have Live Thread script BEFORE quick quote script.
Disclaimer: I don't made these scripts. I only fixed some bugs. All credit to their hard work.
Wow, that is outstanding work! I love the quick reply addon on chrome. Maybe I'll re-jump ship to Firefox. Miss complete youtube downloader and videohelper addon from Firefox.
Expect scattered modbot downtime over the common 20 minutes or so, I just tried the freezer trick on my hard drive to see if I can get some of the data off it
What is the freezer trick?

iosefe

The perfect game to race around at night doing crazy stunts while relaxing to Moonlight Sonata.

i'm partial to the Sleeping Beauty waltz

If i have it on Origin and you have it on steam, can we interact and play together?

*edit* sorry for double, figured someone might have posted already

L.O.R.D

JULY 23 - SLOUKEN

Steam Client
Library
Windows
In-Home Streaming
Steam Music Beta
yey
just got the update
and its working good

Terraria supposedly getting achievements in the next update? Just what I need to prompt a new playthrough.

Oh also a mac version.

Really satisfied with my purchase since it has gotten so many updates over the years.

Turfster

Not a robot. Rather a tank driven by a mutated creature on the inside.

Not The Robots , a rather good stealth game.

Not the Robots is weird.
I was really hyped for it (I love stealth games), but when I played it, I was... stuck.
I couldn't actually play it as a stealth game, probably because you need to "capture" enough furniture to open the way to the next level.

I spent more time running around wildly, hoovering up as many things as quickly as possible.
It's still a good game, but sadly, it didn't really 'click' for me.

Also, it's so freaking hot in here that I had to turn off all the pcs.
Wtf, weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom