• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 15: Two Guys Play

I've actually had to use trig because it comes up when you are calculating things like Power losses and various other things as an electrician but they have been pretty rare.

I don't know why I said basic math. I meant math in general.

I didn't learn any important writing skills until I got to college and everything else I've done in HS was just a joke. Then again, I still use some spanish when I talk to coworkers, so I guess that's been more useful than all the science I learned in HS.

Get a job
jobies-job-land-always-sunny.gif

youre talking to someone who cant even get a job at mcdonalds.

USAA has great fraud detection, but you either have to be in the Military, or have a military parent or guardian to get them.

Also, my debit card doubles as a credit card. It's awesome.

Mine does as well but lots of places will not accept it.

I had one in High School. That class is what led me to my current degree.

Knowing this information is key to surviving in a modern world where credit scores are a necessity to access certain financial tools.
Ironic, taking an accounting course is what made me say "fuck this, I'm learning a trade".
obviously the not the same thing but it is almost a funny parallel.

Hahahaha holy shit, I'm not even surprised if that's real.

Most Christian rock I grew up on was basically poor genre/band covers with Christian lyrics layered on top,

It's from South Park.

Christian Rock is poop. It's like they took the worst elements of rock music, and slapped some corny lyrics about Jesus, and shipped it for the edgy Christians.

USAA has great fraud detection, but you either have to be in the Military, or have a military parent or guardian to get them.

Also, my debit card doubles as a credit card. It's awesome.

That is pretty awesome. My credit card has a 300 dollar limit :(

Trying to apply for a credit card on your own is tough. Had to have my dad help me get one just because my bank kept denying me because of some dumb ambulance thing a few years ago. Luckily Capital One came through for me.

I didn't learn any important writing skills until I got to college and everything else I've done in HS was just a joke. Then again, I still use some spanish when I talk to coworkers, so I guess that's been more useful than all the science I learned in HS.
The idea of general education to raise competency overall isn't terrible, but it is largely irrelevant in some areas.

I had good English teachers in HS, and Calculus is useless if you're not in a major that needs math, and I always just found Science shit the fucking coolest cause I'm a big nerd.

Oh yeah, the years I spent learning biology and chemistry mean nothing now. Physics at least works into the math I need to use at work sometimes.

The idea of general education to raise competency overall isn't terrible, but it is largely irrelevant in some areas.

I had good English teachers in HS, and Calculus is useless if you're not in a major that needs math, and I always just found Science shit the fucking coolest cause I'm a big nerd.

I hate all science but physics. And that's just because I've played games that have applied real life physics to explain their insane plot twists and that was the sickest shit.

Oh yeah, the years I spent learning biology and chemistry mean nothing now. Physics at least works into the math I need to use at work sometimes.

Yeah, but physics is basically just math applied to real life situations. HS chem and biology are just dumb unless you're taking like AP stuff that's actually on a higher level and important.

(Government pays for the majority of your education as long as you actually finish it).

Is that what heaven is like?

It's really not rock anymore. Whole genre's called ccm now. Contemporary christian music if you don't know.
Heh. I didn't know that. Faaaantastic.
I hate all science but physics. And that's just because I've played games that have applied real life physics to explain their insane plot twists and that was the sickest shit.
I took AP Bio and loved that shit. Chem wasn't fun, but I didn't hate it.

The attitude "Even if it's not useful, this is basic stuff" is pretty damn debatable.

Get your ass out that door looking for a job
Literally fuck you taco, what the fuck do you think ive been fucking doing, ive been applying to anywhere I fucking can, like seriously fuck you, no one has fucking even called me you fucking asshole. Its not as easy as just going in and giving an application.

Call them saying what? "Hey I applied for a job, please give me this job even though I have zero job experience." Getting a job these days isnt as easy as you make it s

"Hello, i recently applied here. I was wondering if you had a chance to look at my application yet."

It shows that you have initiative, and willing to go the extra mile.

Call them saying what? "Hey I applied for a job, please give me this job even though I have zero job experience." Getting a job these days isnt as easy as you make it sound.

It's called inquiring for a job, it makes you look really good.

Basically you call the placed you applied to asking them if they had a chance to look over your application.

It makes you look like you're really interested in the job.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Call them saying what? "Hey I applied for a job, please give me this job even though I have zero job experience." Getting a job these days isnt as easy as you make it sound.

As someone who was in your situation I agree. The only way to get that 'first job' is through connections and the only reason I have mine is due to crazy coincidences.

As someone who was in your situation I agree. The only way to get that 'first job' is through connections and the only reason I have mine is due to crazy coincidences.

I got mine from just applying to places, and again inquiring about those applications.

It's not hard, you just need to persevere and not give up.

"Hello, i recently applied here. I was wondering if you had a chance to look at my application yet."

It shows that you have initiative, and willing to go the extra mile.
Guess what theyll probably say? "Oh ill look at it when I can" no one in my town wants to hire I have no qualifications, I have nothing to put on a resume, I have no sort of references, or anything. Again youre being really insensitive right now, do you really think its that easy?

360pages

Ugh, got a part time job and I can just open up my availability once school is done.

Also, still awful at math, I know I can't give up. But still, this is way too hard. All I have to do is pass both of these classes and I'm home free. But it's just hard, which is why I'm going to study soon.

Guess what theyll probably say? "Oh ill look at it when I can" no one in my town wants to hire I have no qualifications, I have nothing to put on a resume, I have no sort of references, or anything. Again youre being really insensitive right now, do you really think its that easy?

When i was 19, i was in your same position. No car, no job, no references. I applied everywhere. I've been working at the same place for the last 5 years.

"Hello, I submitted an application _____ days ago. I would like to know if a manager has reviewed it yet."

Everyone starts somewhere and there are jobs that are literally no experience required.

Find a construction site, ask the GC if he needs someone to sweep up debris. That's a no experience required job.

In other news, RIP to one of my Fire Emblem soldiers. Lost one ;_;

Who cares if they dismiss it? It's not going to hurt in anyway and it shows that you have an interest in the job. Volunteer somewhere if you need references and something to put on a resume.

Getting a first job is bullshit I agree with you but the only thing you can do is keep trying.

It's absurd. Everyone is asking for experience, but you can't build up experience without getting hired first. It took me a bloody year to find a horseshit job, just so I could slowly build up my still pitiful resume.

It's insanely hard to find a job, even more so if you haven't built up experience at a very young age. I wish you the best of luck, man. But actually yeah, call them and inquire about the job.
This is pretty much why teachers push you to get some work experience from a part time job at the age where you can start.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I got mine from just applying to places, and again inquiring about those applications.

It's not hard, you just need to persevere and not give up.

Where you live has a lot to do with it too. I got a job at an independently owned coffee shop because I knew someone who knew the owners and only because someone had just quit.

I was 16 when I got that job, and unless you build early you are put in a really difficult situation.

When i was 19, i was in your same position. No car, no job, no references. I applied everywhere. I've been working at the same place for the last 5 years.

I get that getting a job is rough, it took me about 5 months to get my first one when I was 18 (parents wouldn't let me work in high school)

Just keep a positive attitude and keep applying, inquire to some places, just call and ask if they had a chance to look over your application, it doesn't matter what they say at that point because they're going to mark down that you called and the manager who whoever is holding interviews is going to notice that.
Where you live has a lot to do with it too. I got a job at an independently owned coffee shop because I knew someone who knew the owners and only because someone had just quit.

I was 16 when I got that job, and unless you build early you are put in a really difficult situation.
I live in Ohio, my first job was a third shift stock boy at a grocery store <.<

Who cares if they dismiss it? It's not going to hurt in anyway and it shows that you have an interest in the job. Volunteer somewhere if you need references and something to put on a resume.

Getting a first job is bullshit I agree with you but the only thing you can do is keep trying.
No I understand that but taco saying that im not trying at all is whats pissing me off.

I get that getting a job is rough, it took me about 5 months to get my first one when I was 18 (parents wouldn't let me work in high school)

Just keep a positive attitude and keep applying, inquire to some places, just call and ask if they had a chance to look over your application, it doesn't matter what they say at that point because they're going to mark down that you called and the manager who whoever is holding interviews is going to notice that.

I live in Ohio, my first job was a third shift stock boy at a grocery store <.<

I've been working at a grocery store for 5 years. I hate it. its the worst.

Top Bottom