• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 15: Two Guys Play

SteveTR

Matt mentioned a game on today's podcast. He described it as a game where characters from different video games attack you. He called it "Your Game". I tried googling it but I couldn't find anything. Was he just joking?

tsundoku

Im relatively new to the cult because their Chrono Trigger gameplay turned me off of the best friends a really long time ago (so I don't know what there is to bitch about from that playthrough aside from the fact it took them like 50 half/full hour episodes to finish a really short RPG)

But i've seen Pat talk about ~5 RPGs thus far

In SMRPG and Parasite Eve he has absolutely zero inventory and battle awareness. With regard to what is doing more damage, experimenting with different weapon types and elements, taking 20 episodes to suggest Liam use an AOE spell with Geno or Mallow. And understanding what a status effect does.

In smrpg and in persona 4 mentioned in the smrpg videos he talks about how "great" it is to stack your exp boosting game breaking accessory (which liam tries to explain to him its bad) onto his main character so he can just have his party carried through the remainder of the game. Given his battle awareness i'm sure this combined with reading gameFAQs is how he beat every persona 4 and 3 boss

And then in Dark Souls 2 he forces his playstyle onto Woolie and has him switch from a mace/miracles strategy that was kind of working for him. Immediately shit talks his stunlocking cestii and convinces him to make his way through the game the first time with the greatsword which leads to countless deaths.

He ignores an obvious quest given to him in Baldurs and runs around the world looking up all these sidequests and doing them and heavily outlevels a useful party member and then just cheats at the game to give himself weapons he thinks are great or a massive chunk of exp he could have gotten naturally. He likes to look up things for SMRPG and Baldurs and Parasite Eve but he always half assedly looks them up. Instead of just asking someone who knows the game who can give him spoiler free hints and maybe hint at some things he would have missed in his FAQ checking / googling. He goes to look things up himself, finds the most basic of game exploits and then scares himself on "possible spoilers" and ditches the webpage. This leads to him and Liam sitting there complaining about how SMRPG is a game for babies when its easy and SLOW because they have the most powerful armor but didn't bother to look up anything about how to do the most damage or work it out because they were paying attention to the battles. So SMRPG is at minimum about 3 episodes of content of slowly plinking away at enemies with physical attacks when Mallow can screenwipe the entire ghost ship with a 2 FP spell.

Liam even tries to look at a spoiler free FAQ but doesn't bother checking "useful strategies" or anything that say "X character will be effective in this dungeon, use Mario's jump a lot to build up its damage, etc"

The best friends are pretty fucking bad at games
Thank the heavenly presence above that they have actual personalities. Are good at making jokes, keeping jokes going, having differing opinions and disagreements and shit and knowing when something is complete shit and editing it out.

Basically every other gaming show and podcast is 2-4 of the same dull voice describing experiences happening to them or onscreen.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I played DMC4 once. I got into the castle and got stuck.

I guess I had fun.

DMC4 suffers from severe pacing problems, so it can be difficult to new players to get into. It also, however, features the deepest combat in an action game.

DMC3, on the other hand, is one of the greatest action games of all time, from combat to pacing to story to characterization... it's a classic that stands up to the test of time, and was recently on GAF's top 25 of that entire generation of gaming. There are plenty of people in this thread that love it, and it has aged very well.

Matt mentioned a game on today's podcast. He described it as a game where characters from different video games attack you. He called it "Your Game". I tried googling it but I couldn't find anything. Was he just joking?
I think he was talking about Night Slashers, it's an arcade game. Matt and Woolie(I think) did it as a beat em up

Ilvocare

Don't know why anyone is even bothering with it. A bad game with a new lick of paint is still a bad game. Not supporting that trash.

Except the things advertised go way beyond a new lick of paint. Say what you will about the original release, but all the improvements touted in DE are significant. Really the story is the only thing that'll be consistent trash.

This all assumes, of course, that Ninja Theory held their word...

I played DMC4 once. I got into the castle and got stuck.

I guess I had fun.
This is my exprenice with dmc4
Im relatively new to the cult because their Chrono Trigger gameplay turned me off of the best friends a really long time ago (so I don't know what there is to bitch about from that playthrough aside from the fact it took them like 50 half/full hour episodes to finish a really short RPG)

In SMRPG and Parasite Eve he has absolutely zero inventory and battle awareness. With regard to what is doing more damage, experimenting with different weapon types and elements, taking 20 episodes to suggest Liam use an AOE spell with Geno or Mallow. And understanding what a status effect does.

In smrpg and in persona 4 mentioned in the smrpg videos he talks about how "great" it is to stack your exp boosting game breaking accessory (which liam tries to explain to him its bad) onto his main character so he can just have his party carried through the remainder of the game. Given his battle awareness i'm sure this combined with reading gameFAQs is how he beat every persona 4 and 3 boss

And then in Dark Souls 2 he forces his playstyle onto Woolie and has him switch from a mace/miracles strategy that was kind of working for him. Immediately shit talks his stunlocking cestii and convinces him to make his way through the game the first time with the greatsword which leads to countless deaths.

He ignores an obvious quest given to him in Baldurs and runs around the world looking up all these sidequests and doing them and heavily outlevels a useful party member and then just cheats at the game to give himself weapons he thinks are great or a massive chunk of exp he could have gotten naturally. He likes to look up things for SMRPG and Baldurs and Parasite Eve but he always half assedly looks them up. Instead of just asking someone who knows the game who can give him spoiler free hints and maybe hint at some things he would have missed in his FAQ checking / googling. He goes to look things up himself, finds the most basic of game exploits and then scares himself on "possible spoilers" and ditches the webpage. This leads to him and Liam sitting there complaining about how SMRPG is a game for babies when its easy and SLOW because they have the most powerful armor but didn't bother to look up anything about how to do the most damage or work it out because they were paying attention to the battles. So SMRPG is at minimum about 3 episodes of content of slowly plinking away at enemies with physical attacks when Mallow can screenwipe the entire ghost ship with a 2 FP spell.

Liam even tries to look at a spoiler free FAQ but doesn't bother checking "useful strategies" or anything that say "X character will be effective in this dungeon, use Mario's jump a lot to build up its damage, etc"

Thank the heavenly presence above that they have actual personalities. Are good at making jokes, keeping jokes going, having differing opinions and disagreements and shit and knowing when something is complete shit and editing it out.

Basically every other gaming show and podcast is 2-4 of the same dull voice describing experiences happening to them or onscreen.
Damn you wrote a lot. Anyway welcome to the thread unless you've been here before
That includes GiantBomb. In fact, GB's Brad Shoemaker reviewed the original release and openly admitted to never playing a DMC game before. Pretty embarassing.
I don't really have a porblem with that. I think you should just review the game itself and not care what the other games are like.

tsundoku

As an addendum I can't remember what video its in but i'm pretty sure Pat defended the bullshit Exp and money dlc maps in SMT4 and Fire Emblem 3ds

Ilvocare

As an addendum I can't remember what video its in but i'm pretty sure Pat defended the bullshit Exp and money dlc maps in SMT4 and Fire Emblem 3ds

Now this seems false. Mainly because why would Pat even delve into information for Awakening? He's not a fan of the series literally because it's too hard for him. He always gave me the impression that he never played it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I don't really have a porblem with that. I think you should just review the game itself and not care what the other games are like.

I have severe issues with it. And not just with DMC. A game within a series is not in a bubble and should not be reviewed as such.

You, as a reviewer, have a duty to your readership to evaluate a game based on certain expectations and standards. If you are not qualified to distinguish those standards, you have no place reviewing said game if you're getting paid to review.

I'll defend the Awakening exp/gold boosts too. Not for the main game, but when you're trying to min/max your characters you have to keep reclassing them to get the optimal skills and it takes a shitload of levels to do so, so the exp boost DLC helps a lot. Same idea with gold, not for main game but afterward.

I'll never be a fan of using gold/exp "cheats"/DLC for the main story/game though.

tsundoku

I'll defend the Awakening exp/gold boosts too. Not for the main game, but when you're trying to min/max your characters the you have to keep reclassing them to get the optimal skills and it takes a shitload of levels to do so, so the exp boost DLC helps a lot. Same idea with gold, not for main game but afterward.

I'll never be a fan of using gold/exp "cheats"/DLC for the main story/game though.
Yeah like a victory lap through a Tales game with an exp boost on or what-have-you

Pat would literally use those maps to boost his Jeigan and MC and then call it a day. Please look forward to SMT x FE spoilercast

This leads to him and Liam sitting there complaining about how SMRPG is a game for babies
That's a joke.

I don't really have anything to say about the rest of your comment to be honest.
I think he said something along the lines of "these are optional for babbies".

I'll defend the Awakening exp/gold boosts too. Not for the main game, but when you're trying to min/max your characters the you have to keep reclassing them to get the optimal skills and it takes a shitload of levels to do so, so the exp boost DLC helps a lot. Same idea with gold, not for main game but afterward.
Same here. That gold dlc's super helpful when you're gearing up for apotheosis.

Basically every other gaming show and podcast is 2-4 of the same dull voice describing experiences happening to them or onscreen

Welcome.

Anyone expecting high level play from them in all fields should find another channel.

Their value is in the commentary and in-jokes and chemistry these guys have that other gaming podcasts and their connection to the fighting game community.

Once that drops to a level that the podcast and videos become dull and boring, I'll gladly move on, but that hasn't happened yet.

Boooo, Pat getting downranked on the Zaibatsu tier list

Pat doesn't hate Persona. He just raves about a series he has never beaten in full :3

Pat never finished Persona 3.

tsundoku

That's a joke.

I don't really have anything to say about the rest of your comment to be honest.

I think he said something along the lines of "these are optional for babbies".
Yeah i took as them just messing around the first few times. They're dead serious about it after the first like 1-2 culex crystals go down

Not only is the game ACTUALLY a joke compared to fairly difficult rpgs like Persona and bullshit difficult things like DQ or FF1. They were beating it slowly and missing all kinds of exploits and so proud of themselves

sjay1994

2014-08-28_00045.jpg

I fixed my sleep schedule

Skrams

Removed hats and lighting on Dante then added butt grabbing on Kat. What an amazing visual upgrade.
Ryckert likes it alot
It's nothing new that Ryckert likes easy flashy things handed to him on a platter.

You're not wrong about Pat being pretty ambivalent to a lot of the actual gameplay mechanics going on in Super Mario RPG and Parasite Eve. If Woolie wanted to switch it up I think he would of spoken up. It would be unlike him to bend to Pat's whims. Chrono Trigger also only lasted as long as it did because they got practically everything in that game.

Besides that, I think they're actually pretty fine at games. It's just when they stop giving a shit and turn their brain off is when they start to become hard to watch.

Then something like DMC2 would be given a 3/5 by a normal reviewer and DMC4 would be given a 4/5 by another. If something is shitty compared to it's predecessor then it should be called out on it. It shouldn't be given a free pass because every game is independent.

I don't remember Fire Emblem, but I feel like I remember him talking about SMT4 DLC being alright on the podcast. At least he mentioned the good DLC and not the shit kind.

Yeah i took as them just messing around the first few times. They're dead serious about it after the first like 1-2 culex crystals go down

Not only is the game ACTUALLY a joke compared to fairly difficult rpgs like Persona and bullshit difficult things like DQ or FF1. They were beating it slowly and missing all kinds of exploits and so proud of themselves
They expected more from Culex, yeah.

Honestly I'd have done the same things they did having never played it. If you can get through an RPG with normal attacks and heals, I'd sure as hell do it. Is that good to watch? I dunno. Probably annoying if you really know the game. Being a double blind LP will do that.
Wait did he actually do this or is this hypothetical?
Hypothetical.

I'm so incredibly on the same page as Pat with the cheating thing. There's a point where you're playing a game and you don't care enough anymore to play it for real, but you just wanna finish it off.

demidar

They expected more from Culex, yeah.

Honestly I'd have done the same things they did having never played it. If you can get through an RPG with normal attacks and heals, I'd sure as hell do it. Is that good to watch? I dunno. Probably annoying if you really know the game. Being a double blind LP will do that.

That's why playing Tales of Graces f is so good. There's no such thing as a "normal" attack command.

tsundoku

Wait did he actually do this or is this hypothetical?
Predicting the future

Id like them to keep doing rpgs and keep "using guides"

Just grab someone from GAF or twitter and enter a working (unpaid) relationship w them to acquire spoilerfree game hints to make the rpgs go way smoother. Or so they dont miss the "> learn fire when it is first available in Bof4 for the mud elementals" kinds of things.

I didnt complain about the progression w ds2 because Pat keeps it at as good a pace as the difficulty / Woolie on controls will allow.

They could probably unironically do mother3 with Liam as the senpai.

Yeah the game is pretty easy even without the Lazy Shells, but Culex does offer a serious challenge if you try to beat him without them. Smithy also isn't all that easy.

The Mario weapon is one thing, but the Lazy Shell armor actually fucks up the game. You can't die with your healer that can revive teammates with just 2 FP, it's just not really fun anymore.

croten

Predicting the future

Id like them to keep doing rpgs and keep "using guides"

Just grab someone from GAF or twitter and enter a working (unpaid) relationship w them to acquire spoilerfree game hints to make the rpgs go way smoother. Or so they dont miss the "> learn fire when it is first available in Bof4 for the mud elementals" kinds of things.

I didnt complain about the progression w ds2 because Pat keeps it at as good a pace as the difficulty / Woolie on controls will allow.

They could probably unironically do mother3 with Liam as the senpai.

Don't tell me that you are actually being serious

That's why playing Tales of Graces f is so good. There's no such thing as a "normal" attack command.
That's super weird and really cool.

I think part of why I do love Press Turn is it heavily, heavily incentivizes using elemental attacks and buffs and experimenting as the way to win. Even Persona using One More feels better than straight classic Final Fantasy combat.

tsundoku

Don't tell me that you are actually being serious
Its been a while since I last played BoF4 and I just happened to check in on a friend in the middle of the Mud Dam if you're critiquing that particular example.

Pat would wander around on the overworld levelling up waiting for Rydia to learn •Fire before trying to climb Mt. Hobs

Its been a while since I last played BoF4 and I just happened to check in on a friend in the middle of the Mud Dam if you're critiquing that particular example.

Pat would wander around on the overworld levelling up waiting for Rydia to learn •Fire before trying to climb Mt. Hobs
He means the
Just grab someone from GAF or twitter and enter a working (unpaid) relationship w them to acquire spoilerfree game hints to make the rpgs go way smoother.
part.

croten

No I'm critiquing the idea of hiring an unpaid intern to tell them how to play the game.

Top Bottom