• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 15: Two Guys Play

tsundoku

Why not? Hell, just get Matt to do it since he hasn't appeared in any of the RPG videos. It doesnt take long to skim over 5 hours of an rpg in an FAQ and go "ok use the lightning character in the next dungeon and look for a chest with a cool sword in it" or " the FAQ says X is the first town that sells Sprint Shoes and its a mandatory accessory"

Skrams

I'm so incredibly on the same page as Pat with the cheating thing. There's a point where you're playing a game and you don't care enough anymore to play it for real, but you just wanna finish it off.
It's surprising with the amount that he cheated in the game to level characters up or switch up their skills that he couldn't beat the final boss legitimately. I just can't imagine walking away from that game without a sour feeling in my mouth after doing that. Woolie and the gang were pretty right to shit on him.
Honestly I'd have done the same things they did having never played it. If you can get through an RPG with normal attacks and heals, I'd sure as hell do it. Is that good to watch? I dunno. Probably annoying if you really know the game. Being a double blind LP will do that.
Not very blind when they looked stuff up on gamefaqs half the time.

Welcome.

Anyone expecting high level play from them in all fields should find another channel.

Their value is in the commentary and in-jokes and chemistry these guys have that other gaming podcasts and their connection to the fighting game community.

People use this excuse a lot for LP channels, but I don't think it's a good one. It's not wrong to expect a certain amount of unscrubbery from them or them taking a game more seriously when it comes to certain games. Especially when it comes to RPGs which is one of Pat and Liam's favorite genres.

Don't tell me that you are actually being serious
Eh, it's not exactly a bad idea to talk to someone beforehand for tips. It'd be better than getting really obvious hints 2 weeks later after the episode is already recorded.

Also the whole thing with them laughing about Culex was them having a laugh over how much they broke the game. I doubt they look down on the game for it. They know they were breaking it and they liked that.

Them finding stuff out for themselves is half the fun, even though it's pretty frustrating sometimes when they're missing something very obvious.

General tips sure, but constant orders on how to play the game I do not approve of.

Ilvocare

Why not? Hell, just get Matt to do it since he hasn't appeared in any of the RPG videos. It doesnt take long to skim over 5 hours of an rpg in an FAQ and go "ok use the lightning character in the next dungeon and look for a chest with a cool sword in it" or " the FAQ says X is the first town that sells Sprint Shoes and its a mandatory accessory"

Matt gets bored by most lengthy RPGs. This is like asking him to be part of the Nuzlocke playthrough, but with even MORE things he's not enthusiastic about. The entire proposal is shaky at best.

croten

Eh, it's not exactly a bad idea to talk to someone beforehand for tips. It'd be better than getting really obvious hints 2 weeks later after the episode is already recorded.

Also the whole thing with them laughing about Culex was them having a laugh over how much they broke the game. I doubt they look down on the game for it. They know they were breaking it and they liked that.

I think it's a completely stupid idea. I don't know about the rest of you but I don't watch the SBF for 1337 gameplay. I also don't think they are terrible at games, I have never really cringed at any gameplay outside of the DS2 playthrough.

They record separately way ahead of time in huge chunks, so none of them are necessarily open to do stuff.

Though really, if you wanted that then they should just have a walkthrough on hand. Or they'd just do that before recording. Part of the point of a double blind LP is the reactions and blind part though.

My favorite LPs tend to be ones where one person is basically an expert/can guide the person playing. Ironically, what you're asking for in terms of "playing well" is best exemplified in doing RPGs as Chrono Trigger, since Pat plays the game well and is super completionist.

Also, yeah, I'm with croten, personally.

Skrams

I think it's a completely stupid idea. I don't know about the rest of you but I don't watch the SBF for 1337 gameplay. I also don't think they are terrible at games, I have never really cringed at any gameplay outside of the DS2 playthrough.

No one is asking for 1337 gameplay or some shit. I'm not saying they're terrible either. I'm saying I'd rather not see a playthrough being dragged to the finish line only because of gamefaqs. I don't even agree with the weird idea of hiring an unpaid person to play the game alongside them. I only think it would be fine to get basic tips for how the game is operated so at the second recording session we don't get a "So here's the thing we learned about because of the comments." Or learning about a run button after 7 parts even if it leads to a funny moment. Barkley was a fine playthrough and I can't even imagine what it would of been if there was an EXP booster now.

Blind LPs work fine when it's something like Revelaitons or Prison Break. The gameplay is simple in those games and little has to be discovered. Barkley also worked out pretty fine since it was a short game and they had to be half good to survive. I prefer the guiding hand approach with their LPs most of the time anyway.

I normally wait a day or 2 before listening to the podcast but now I'm eager to listen to it.
Non of their LP's have gotten me to act bitter or cringe yet only because they haven't played anything I absolutely love yet. But I'm sure if Pat or Liam start Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (which they never will) i'll probably be salty throughout the whole way through.

Ilvocare

I normally wait a day or 2 before listening to the podcast but now I'm eager to listen to it.
Non of their LP's have gotten me to act bitter or cringe yet only because they haven't played anything I absolutely love yet. But I'm sure if Pat or Liam start Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (which they never will) i'll probably be salty throughout the whole way through.

Oh god

the moment an SRPG LP begins on the channel is the moment the channel is FUCKED.

Seriously, there's an assload of downtime on the game screen all the time, no matter what game you're talking about.

(Also I'm surprised to see you defending Radiant Dawn, of all the Fire Emblem games. What makes that one in particular special to you?)

Metal Gear Rising, D4, Prison Break, Barkley, Killer is Dead are all pretty good double blind.
They finished all of MGR by themselves after the first recording session. They then acted as if it was their first experience upon coming back for the rest of the recording.
That's something I hate, and I appreciate Pat regrets it.

The DLC is blind though, too.

demidar

They finished all of MGR by themselves after the first recording session. They then acted as if it was their first experience upon coming back for the rest of the recording.

lol

For a second I thought they were announcing a new Tales anime called Tales of the Industry. It's even got a similar title style as a Tales game.

I think the likeness is intentional, or at the very least a subconscious inspiration.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

This was pretty funny, and a bit transparent. The first episodes of the LP felt a lot more genuine. This is also why the Sam DLC LP was soooo good.

In the end credits, they basically admitted to going back and finishing it themselves.

Still, it was great overall.

Skrams

Nice typo, but yes. Final Fight: Streetwise is the same thing and also amazing.
I'm perfectly fine with them hating or being bad at bad games because they're bad. Streetwise and hearing them slowly dying is great.
This was pretty funny, and a bit transparent. The first episodes of the LP felt a lot more genuine.

In the end credits, they basically admitted to going back and finishing it themselves.

Still, it was great overall.
It was great. It was just disingenuous and not at all a blind LP.

Skrams

He probably never made it past Matador.

We got our next thread title.

Pat's only beaten P4 and SMT4. Pat really just likes the number 4 you guys. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm hoping my tagline of "I guess Pat just doesn't like Persona as much as us" takes it.
At least they didn't do the same thing Max did during his MGR LP and use the fucking Murasama while pretending it was their first playthrough.

I heard about that and that is pretty disgusting. Not sure if that's worse or not than him playing through half of DMC4 while on automatic while calling the game easy.

Oberon

Banned
Metal Gear Rising was great. So was Barkley Gaiden and Prison Break.

Prison Break is (after Deadly P) my favorite best friends LP.
I have never actually finished watching the Barkley Gaiden Lp, and I sometimes even forget that it exists

And we all know how much he knows about Dark Souls anyway based on the DS2 LP.

Some of us are just bigger fans than him, I guess.

Pat knows as much about Dark souls as Liam about Pokemon

If I cared enough to PM Mrdeadfaultwil I'd probably put "Super Best Friends Thread 16: Pat never made it past Matador" so we can let all of NeoGAF know how casul he is.

Oh god

the moment an SRPG LP begins on the channel is the moment the channel is FUCKED.

Seriously, there's an assload of downtime on the game screen all the time, no matter what game you're talking about.

(Also I'm surprised to see you defending Radiant Dawn, of all the Fire Emblem games. What makes that one in particular special to you?)

Was the very first Fire Emblem game I got in to and one of the first Wii games I played at my cousin's house and I just love it. (Beat it 11 times and I still want to go back to it). I honestly don't know why I love it so much. I know a lot of fans really don't like it compared to other Fire Emblem games and say it's one of the most unbalanced game in the series, but I guess I just love how unbalanced it is. One thing I really didn't like about Awakening was the map and enemy unit layout. The enemy just seem to be dotted around evenly around the map while Radiant Dawn had better maps I feel. Like the end of part 1 where you had to climb up to the top for the boss. I also get an adrenaline rush in the harder chapters like the the 'defend for XX turns' chapters and the enemy throws everything they have at you and you really feel like you have to defend. It's also a Fire Emblem game where I'm proud of beating hard mode multiple times. There's more to while I like Radiant Dawn but I can't think of them right now.

Top Bottom