• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

Are we allowed to send gifts early? I thought we had to wait until Christmas

I ordered my gift immediately after being getting my name, if they want to open it early that's their prerogative, I only hope they enjoy what I got them.

I was gifted it digitally so leaving it on the "digital shelf" like the rest of my games felt contrary to the holiday spirit.

Xiraiya

If only the Elder scrolls had good combat. It would improve the game so much

I don't really mind it in first person, but 3rd person is god awful in skyrim, needs to play like Dark Souls in 3rd Person.

But then again TES has always primarily been a first person series.

I don't know much about the systems in USFIV, but I think I'll join. When does it start?

npGYbOd.png

there you go

Xiraiya

but then you'd have to change the first person gameplay to dark souls too.

No you wouldn't, by playing like Dark Souls I mean add lock-on targeting that lets you auto circle around, change the camera angle to not be so high up and weird, done.

Wouldn't need to change first person at all, you don't need to lock on an enemy in first person.

croten

I don't really mind it in first person, but 3rd person is god awful in skyrim, needs to play like Dark Souls in 3rd Person.

But then again TES has always primarily been a first person series.

The it's the limpest shit. All you do is swing your weapon in front of you repeatedly until you or the other thing dies. There is very little depth there. It's why I love Fallout because nearly every gun is at least somewhat different.

The it's the limpest shit. All you do is swing your weapon in front of you repeatedly until you or the other thing dies. There is very little depth there. It's why I love Fallout because nearly every gun is at least somewhat different.

The WItcher has better combat than TES
and the first games combat is bad(still playing it)

Xiraiya

I think it's fine, there is always room for improvement but it's quite an aggressive over exaggeration to call it the limpest shit. My biggest gripe with the combat is the fact there's no hand to hand skill in TES anymore, because those finishing moves with your fists are rad as shit, but unless you wear unarmed damage buffing gear, they aren't amazingly useful.

I enjoyed both Skyrim and Fallout about the same, frankly.

Okingjrr

Yooooo, new LP HYPE!!

Also, I just came back from a cold ass rainy day at Disneyland Paris. It was free, so I'm not complaining.

croten

I think it's fine, there is always room for improvement but it's quite an aggressive over exaggeration to call it the limpest shit. My biggest gripe with with the combat is the fact there's no hand to hand skill in TES anymore, because those finishing moves with your fists are rad as shit, but unless you wear unarmed damage buffing gear, they aren't amazingly useful.

I don't think I'm exaggerating at all, there are very few games I have played that have worse melee combat.

I think it's fine, there is always room for improvement but it's quite an aggressive over exaggeration to call it the limpest shit. My biggest gripe with with the combat is the fact there's no hand to hand skill in TES anymore, because those finishing moves with your fists are rad as shit, but unless you wear unarmed damage buffing gear, they aren't amazingly useful.

Same. They serve their own purposes.

People easily forget how dog shit combat in Oblivion is by comparison. But then again, just about everything in vanilla Oblivion is dog shit by comparison.

Xiraiya

I don't think I'm exaggerating at all, there are very few games I have played that have worse melee combat.
Oh I know you don't think you are.

I agree it could be improved on, but in a series like TES don't really know how much more in depth you could want first person combat to be, you can swing in different styles, stagger enemies, knock them down, bash them in the face with shields, kill them with different finishing movies, assassinate people, different weapon types do different kinds of hits and so on, then you have all the magic stuff.

Aside from the natural progression of making things more detailed through later releases, I don't really know how much more one could want, animations are probably the biggest issue I can think of, but if you play Dark souls in first person with a mod, you're still just swinging a weapon until a thing dies.

Same. They serve their own purposes.
People easily forget how dog shit combat in Oblivion is by comparison. But then again, just about everything in vanilla Oblivion is dog shit by comparison.
Except the Dark Brotherhood, which was fantastic. (I miss attributes though)

croten

Oh I know you don't think you are.

I agree it could be improved on, but in a series like TES don't really know how much more in depth you could want first person combat to be, you can swing in different styles, stagger enemies, knock them down, bash them in the face with shields, kill them with different finishing movies, assassinate people, different weapon types do different kinds of hits and so on, then you have all the magic stuff.

The different finishing moves are nothing, they're just different animations for an instant kill, nothing special there. The different weapon types change almost nothing, you swing a mace the exact same way you swing an axe or sword which is dumb, the only thing that changes is the animation speed and damage output. Swinging an Iron sword feels exactly the same as swinging a Deadric mace. It's bad.
Some of the late game magic is pretty varied I'll admit but it usually boils down to spray or bolt with different elements.

Top Bottom