• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

if you think a 2-3 hour game is worth 60$ your an idiot unless it has a SHIT TON of unlockables as thats the only way id justify it

Not even close. I'd much rather spend 60 hours on something short, but amazing and satisfying than drop it on some shit like Skyrim. Probably because I'll only play those games for an hour or two before I throw it out my window.

Length is tied to quality in the eyes of reviewers though. It's a ratio of Quality+Time where one makes up for the other, to a point.
I get why, but a long, mediocre movie isn't something I find better than a short, awesome one.

As someone with a decent amount of spending money, but little time to do much with it. I'd gladly blow 60 on something short and amazing like Revengeance than the next 80 hour meh RPG. If the content that's actually in Destiny was really good, I couldn't care less if the content was lacking I'd be on that shit. But from everywhere I hear, the content is lacking and what's there isn't that fun outside the core shooting mechanics.

Length is tied to quality in the eyes of reviewers though. It's a ratio of Quality+Time where one makes up for the other, to a point.

I get why, but a long, mediocre movie isn't something I find better than a short, awesome one.

So you're saying game devs are making games longer to appeal to reviewers?

360pages

The Saiyan Saga was by far the best Arc in Z, it still had somewhat of a DragonBall feel left to it. Plus watching Gohan grow from a whiny little kid to somewhat of a fighter was very fulfilling.

Anyway I'm off to bed

Later~

Yeah, a really good story arc in that saga was..

Gohan being left alone with his training so he decided to try to find his way home he meeting a group of orphans run by a older kid. 16-18. Everyday social workers would come by their house and try to take the kids and they would be attacked and scared away by the kids.

The kids would steal food and Gohan decides to hang around for a while.

However the older kid realizes that he actually can't keep feeding them, and he ultimately decides it's for the best that the social workers take them even if the kids will hate him for it they would have a better chance of finding a good home. He then urges gohan to find his way home.

It was a pretty decent moment, and something you wouldn't expect from the kind of series Dragon Ball Z is.

So you're saying game devs are making games longer to appeal to reviewers?

They slap that "Over 80 hours of exciting gameplay!" tag all over the back of the box to appeal to people with no money, but lots of time. Which is arguably a majority of the casual gamers and the moms that buy them their games.

They slap that "Over 80 hours of exciting gameplay!" tag all over the back of the box to appeal to people with no money, but lots of time. Which is arguably a majority of the casual gamers and the moms that buy them their games.

That sounds like a lot of the Final fantasy games from the 90s... And xenogears...

Zenfalcia

It's an actual good appeal, but replayability should also be a bigger factor.
Everyone in this dub sounds super off to me and I don't know why.

Sub > dubs. that's why.

360pages

I will admit, I legit almost cried like a little bitch at the last episode of GT.
The show was terrible but that last montage tho... All those feels.

There was one episode that of Z that was cut...not because it was too violent, but because it was too sad.

During his training Gohan meets an old mining robot buried under some rubble, they talk for a bit and the robot recounts what he did and how he got into the situation. Gohan decides to try to dig him out, but the cave starts to collapse and the robot sacrifices himself to save Gohan.

It's an actual good appeal, but replayability should also be a bigger factor.

It certainly is. People need their 60 hour long games, even I need them sometimes. But if this 60 hour game has 50 hours of boring cutscenes/gameplay and 10 hours of a decent product, then I just wasted my time when I could have been playing a great 6-8 hour package. But I guess people just can't keep buying more games and they'd rather be bored for 50 hours in a game, than doing nothing.

That sounds like a lot of the Final fantasy games from the 90s... And xenogears...

Games still do that. I'm pretty sure Bethesda games and majority of JRPGs still have that stuff somewhere on the box.

Destiny, for as much as I hate the FPS MMO concept, is charging a fair market price for its content, the same way WoW charges for a subscription. My question is: why are there gamers bitching about one example and not the industry poster child of nickel and dining gamers? DLC on disc aggravates me, but it doesn't bother me with a game that is a cheaper yet high quality MMO.

WoW subscription models are terrible precedents for gamers.

I don't like any DLC being on disc because something like that means the whole package is done, but you're delibrately taking game content out after its done and selling it back later. But 60 dollars for what you're getting in Destiny is pretty decent. The problem with the game is that they tried to market it like its an MMO, but its clearly not and that's why the overcharging for the lack of content seems to piss everyone off. If the DLC in Destiny lasts about 2-3 hours (which it seems to do if you include the few missions and the strole), but it was a really good 2-3 hours, I wouldn't have minded its high price tag at all.

In Xenogears there's more content than game.

But his whole argument is about games that pad themselves out. Final fantasy games tend to do that with flashy shit that are not necessary to the core experience but make the game easier/cooler/questionably better.

I really like xenogears, mainly because of the complex story arc, but the second disc is pretty much a VN. I'd be upset if I bought xenogears expecting to play gears all the time.

True, and a lot of old games induced value through challenge as well. Castlevania 1 would be a 10-20 minute game if it was piss easy.

Liam brute forced the game in about a couple hours. Imagine paying 60 bucks or more for Castlevania in the 80s. Would you feel satisfied with Your money, nostalgia aside?

The bigger argument here is : what do people that identify as gamers buy video games for? What genre do they want? What kind of content in that genre would entice them to buy a 60-100 dollar product, because DLC tucked away on disc make a game a 80-100 dollar product.

Everyone sounds better in the sub, fuck it.

It's ghost in the shell btw

OG Ghost in the Shell movie or Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex? Considering its a 90's movie and dub, its actually pretty decent (please don't compare it to Bebop). Stand Alone Complex must be watched dubbed though. Mary Elizabeth Mcglynn is the only one who can do the Major justice. It is, in my opinion, the greatest dub ever.

Zenfalcia

It certainly is. People need their 60 hour long games, even I need them sometimes. But if this 60 hour game has 50 hours of boring cutscenes/gameplay and 10 hours of a decent product, then I just wasted my time when I could have been playing a great 6-8 hour package. But I guess people just can't keep buying more games and they'd rather be bored for 50 hours in a game, than doing nothing.

Different priorities. Some people like or have to get a long game due to budget or preference. For parents, it's a good way to distract kids with the most popular game. It also depends on the genre of the game and how it affects the length. Like a short rpg isn't unheard of but it wouldn't be reassuring.

OG Ghost in the Shell movie or Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex? Considering its a 90's movie and dub, its actually pretty decent (please don't compare it to Bebop). Stand Alone Complex must be watched dubbed though. Mary Elizabeth Mcglynn is the only one who can do the Major justice. It is, in my opinion, the greatest dub ever.

OG ghost in the shell. I don't have anything to compare it to since the only modern dub I've heard was gurren and that's like 7 years old

How does Stand Alone Complex compare to the original? I've only seen the original movie.

My biggest problem with Destiny is that for what it is marketed as, it falls desperately short. It should have marketed itself as a FPS RPG, with a great PvP counterpart. Everything about the game should be great: It has awesome shooting mechanics, feels wonderful to play, and is genuinely a fun game if you can get pass the glaring issues. And for $60, it's a radical deal, something a lot of games released this year can not say.

There are just so many issues, and that's bad. I still would like a PC release, tho.

Liam brute forced the game in about a couple hours. Imagine paying 60 bucks or more for Castlevania in the 80s. Would you feel satisfied with Your money, nostalgia aside?
I think challenge is a great lengthener, you can replay Castlevania 1 like crazy, and I do. As a kid I would be getting my shit kicked in consistently, and would keep trying. Plus, above all else, I really fucking love the game. I really do see games like movies or books. If the content is good, the price is whatever.

Plus, I believe games were between $40-70, even back then. Tons of kids played the game for that price.

OG ghost in the shell. I don't have anything to compare it to since the only modern dub I've heard was gurren and that's like 7 years old

They were pretty awful before Bebop came around and showed that anime dubs can actually be decent. OG Ghost in the Shell has mediocre dubbing so you can go either sub or dub, but they really fixed the characters who's voices really don't fit them in the series.

How does Stand Alone Complex compare to the original? I've only seen the original movie.

As the series goes on it has more of a political focus and less of a psychological one. Especially compared to the first GitS movie.

As for the quality of the show, its one of the greatest anime of all time. 52 episodes of near perfection. Its the Metal Gear Solid of anime.

Its soundtrack is also fucking amazing.

But his whole argument is about games that pad themselves out. Final fantasy games tend to do that with flashy shit that are not necessary to the core experience but make the game easier/cooler/questionably better.

I really like xenogears, mainly because of the complex story arc, but the second disc is pretty much a VN. I'd be upset if I bought xenogears expecting to play gears all the time.

The bigger argument here is : what do people that identify as gamers buy video games for? What genre do they want? What kind of content in that genre would entice them to buy a 60-100 dollar product, because DLC tucked away on disc make a game a 80-100 dollar product.

My comment was a jab at the second disc rather than commentary. :)

If I was in the 1980s and had no knowledge of the progress that would be made in the field I be very satisfied with picking up Castlevania 1, because it doesn't look all that different from the rest of the games being released at the time.

Yukiko's omelets taste like shit

tumblr_lnc3tkD9dZ1qe89lmo1_500.gif

I think challenge is a great lengthener, you can replay Castlevania 1 like crazy, and I do. As a kid I would be getting my shit kicked in consistently, and would keep trying. Plus, above all else, I really fucking love the game. I really do see games like movies or books. If the content is good, the price is whatever.

Plus, I believe games were between $40-70, even back then. Tons of kids played the game for that price.

Nintendo also used to operate a monopoly in the US and push around game devs.

Times change.

There were games that were 80-90 dollars at release.

Look here:

LhSbj.jpg

In today's dollars, those same games should be 90-100 dollars.

As the series goes on it has more of a political focus and less of a psychological one. Especially compared to the first GitS movie.

As for the quality of the show, its one of the greatest anime of all time. 52 episodes of near perfection. Its the Metal Gear Solid of anime.
Hmmm I need to go pick it up then.

My biggest problem with Destiny is that for what it is marketed as, it falls desperately short. It should have marketed itself as a FPS RPG, with a great PvP counterpart. Everything about the game should be great: It has awesome shooting mechanics, feels wonderful to play, and is genuinely a fun game if you can get pass the glaring issues. And for $60, it's a radical deal, something a lot of games released this year can not say.

There are just so many issues, and that's bad. I still would like a PC release, tho.
I'm playing a demo looking at it as a Borderlands competitor, and having played 80 hours of Borderlands with friends, this is WAY better, if just because of the core shooting mechanics being so much stronger.
Just saw your edit. The thing is, it's so individualistic, that trying to advise people is just brute force opinion. You'll see someone say "this game is shit" for every game ever, for every movie ever, etc.
In today's dollars, those same games should be 90-100 dollars.
Oh, if you take inflation into account, yeah. It's worth mentioning production costs on games today are through the fucking roof.

It's a bit of a misrepresentation of the prices of the games from the SNES/Genesis era because money had a very different value. Games these days would cost more than those given the same economic circumstances.

Just saw your edit. The thing is, it's so individualistic, that trying to advise people is just brute force opinion. You'll see someone say "this game is shit" for every game ever, for every movie ever, etc.

Oh, if you take inflation into account, yeah. It's worth mentioning production costs on games today are through the fucking roof.

More people in the cookie jar means more brains and mouths going into a project.

Hmmm I need to go pick it up then.

Its one of my personal favorites and I have an extremely hard time finding flaws about this show. Some episodes are just one big flashback or a just a dialogue session around a virtual round table and yet its easily some of the best episodes in the entire show. God, GitS is so good. I'd own the blu rays if it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

The episodes are also for the most part Stand Alone. Hence the "Stand Alone Complex"

Also I have been playing some Super Mario 3D World.

Its pretty good but I hope the challenge goes up. The first world was insanely easy
It stays low till about World... 3-3 or so? Then it's more like babby's first tricycle instead of learning how to walk in terms of difficulty.

Don't worry, the special stages after the main game are the real shit. I finally got through the last Challenge House with a friend the other day.

It's a bit of a misrepresentation of the prices of the games from the SNES/Genesis era because money had a very different value. Games these days would cost more than those given the same economic circumstances.

Economic circumstances were different I admit. Look at the console prices alone.

But we also didn't have journalism outlets, LPers, hobbyist chains, and a shared culture. Nowadays we have all of these things.

Zenfalcia

Every time a certain killer comes up in P4 it makes me reallly sad that i got spoiled about it..

And that i didn't finish it before p4u came out.

Top Bottom