• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taul Passi: Black Myth Wukong not coming to Xbox due to an exclusivity deal

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I really doubt it. devs are completely in bed with Nvidia and Sony didn’t seem like they marketed it.
Or Nvidia was tied to the marketing so Sony couldn't. But they signed a deal to get console exclusivity last minute and Nvidia didn't care.

I'd just like to hear someone confirm it one of these days because no one knows either way.

Let me get this straight...

- The developers were paid to lie about this being a technical issue for the Xbox.
- Sony decided to go against everything they have done historically and not market this game.
- Xbox consoles were repeatedly listed whenever we got trailers or promotional material for the game yet Sony somehow screwed all that in the last few months...

This entire thing sounds stupid.
This is the same company who paid 3 billion for Bungie, they are stupid.

Or Nvidia was tied to the marketing so Sony couldn't. But they signed a deal to get console exclusivity last minute and Nvidia didn't care.

I'd just like to hear someone confirm it one of these days because no one knows either way.

This is the only possible thing I can see being plausible. Sony is trying to get into the China market and basically any market where console growth is possible.

With that said Game Science already gave their reason and I see no reason not to believe them. I need solid proof to think they are lying. Just like Paul I have a source with knowledge on the matter also and they said it was because of optimization issues. My source went on record for everyone to read. Pauls source is unknown and provided no proof.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Forbes article updated

Update (8/29): A source with knowledge of the situation has told me that contrary to previous reporting, and even departing from Game Science’s own statement, that the reason Black Myth: Wukong is not currently on Xbox is due to an exclusivity deal, not because of some sort of technical issue causing a delay in the release of the game.

Episode 8 Money GIF by The Simpsons
Andy Richter GIF by Team Coco
Blue Cat Want GIF by Cool Cats

Sheryl Lee Ralph No GIF by ABC Network
Do It Conan Obrien GIF by Team Coco

reinking

Gold Member
This is the same company who paid 3 billion for Bungie, they are stupid.
Then what does it make the competition that has all of the resources of the Microsoft Money Machine behind it that can't keep up with them? Maybe the whole industry is full of idiots or completely out of touch.

Punished Miku

This is the only possible thing I can see being plausible. Sony is trying to get into the China market and basically any market where console growth is possible.

With that said Game Science already gave their reason and I see no reason not to believe them. I need solid proof to think they are lying. Just like Paul I have a source with knowledge on the matter also and they said it was because of optimization issues. My source went on record for everyone to read. Pauls source is unknown and provided no proof.
I don't really trust one comment from Game Science if the communication isn't consistent. I just admit I don't know either way. We have sourced and unsourced comments and a strange MS public comment (twice) and that's all we get. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Someone explain why there has been zero marketing from Sony, unlike all their other deals. What make this one so special worth going stealth mode for?

To avoid the hypocricy label maybe? We've all heard the usual crowd defend Sony saying their deals are always "Organic" only when they're working closely with a developer do they step in and make deals for games that were naturally developed from Playstation, but never a sleeze ball move of money-hatting a game and negating an entire community of gamers (that were already supposed to get the game) from getting it. This one would be that sleezeball move if the rumor is true. The game already had the Xbox S|X logos on it during initial marketing and then mysteriously disappeared.

Last edited:

Skifi28

If it was a timed exclusive for Sony we would know

No way Sony would have spent that money and not tell people every chance they got for such a massive hit

I have no idea if there is indeed a deal or not, but it really doesn't make sense once you think about it and compare it to every single other exclusivity deal they've done before. Not to mention the devs keep mentioning it's coming to Xbox, when was the last time a timed exclusive kept mentioning it's coming to the competition on release date? Unless we get a credible source, I'd rather believe the devs on this.

Zacfoldor

1. Don't believe
2. Don't care
3. If true they sold a lot of PS5s in China and super bad press cycles for Xbox, Sony beating a dead horse at this point
4. Laughs in owns all consoles and gaming PC(except XSS)
5. Still hate XSS, even more than before*

*not because of this news, but because another day has passed with it existing

Esca

Sony would have advertised the fuck out this game if they had an exclusive deal. This game has had lots of hype since it's first reveal, they would of made sure everyone knows it's only on Playstation *and PC

Skifi28

To avoid the hypocricy label maybe? We've all heard the usual crowd defend Sony saying their deals are always "Organic" only when they're working closely with a developer do they step in and make deals for games that were naturally developed from Playstation, but never a sleeze ball move of money-hatting a game and negating an entire community of gamers (that were already supposed to get the game) from getting it. This one would be that sleezeball move if the rumor is true.

Why pretend their deals are organic now? At the start of the gen they had tons of timed exclusives and they didn't care about making it look organic. They suddenly fear being accused now that they dominate the market? Sounds like a weak argument.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Yet you stan for Xbox...
Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards
We tend to know more about what is going on with Xbox than anyone else. They do talk a lot. Frequently, and frankly. But we also get much more leaks about them as well. We knew almost immediately they were going multiplatform. We know about the PC hybrid thing. We knew about all of it.

To avoid the hypocricy label maybe? We've all heard the usual crowd defend Sony saying their deals are always "Organic" only when they're working closely with a developer do they step in and make deals for games that were naturally developed from Playstation, but never a sleeze ball move of money-hatting a game and negating an entire community of gamers (that were already supposed to get the game) from getting it. This one would be that sleezeball move if the rumor is true. The game already had the Xbox S|X logos on it during initial marketing and then mysteriously disappeared.

You're talking about when they purchase companies. They already did a deal like you're talking about with Stellar Blade. They had no issue advertising that.

I will continue to call bullshit until there is actual proof or confirmation outside of a "dude, trust me bro."

It would continue to make no sense. Sony marketed CONCORD more than WuKong. Just go look at there social media posts and the PS blog. The PS blog, for example, does not have a single mention of WuKong in over a month. WuKong also had Xbox on their trailer at the game awards back in December. We are suppose to believe within 7-8 months they came away with an exclusive deal? Also, WuKong wasn't even fucking shown at Sonys latest SoP, where it would have been a perfect timing to do so.

With all this said, is it still possible Sony made a deal? I guess so, but I would put that % at about less than 2%. Makes zero sense for anyone involved. Sony pays money to not market a game, game science now has less of a userbase to sell the game to and then of course Xbox customers can't play that game (at least for a stretch). Sorry, I just don't buy it.

Sony is heavily investing in China since Shu Yoshida got the deal with Mihoyo (deal that MS turned down lol). A deal with a first-timer that makes an AAA based on Chinese myths couldn't be any more organic and better marketing for Sony in that country. It would be peak stupidity not taking advantage of it just for posturing. We know there are lot of idiots at Sony but there are a few smart ones like Yoshida and he wouldn't miss the chance to easily promote the brand to an audience that couldn't care less for twitter brownie points.

Why pretend their deals are organic now? At the start of the gen they had tons of timed exclusives and they didn't care about making it look organic. They suddenly fear being accused now that they dominate the market? Sounds like a weak argument.
We have the Microsoft statement which is very specifically worded, we now have an independent source confirming what Microsoft stated twice and absolutely nothing from Sony to refute it. Come on buddy you can't be that naive.

StueyDuck

This thread got pretty conspiratorial pretty fast.

Which means this is absolute BS 🤣.

When you gotta jump through hoops and read things that no one is saying then you are probably reading too much into a situation.

No companies are saying anything because there is literally no need to. Why would Sony mention the game js multiplatform and send potential gamers to a competitor. Why would MS say anything and send their players to a competitors console because of a game they can't get on theirs.

And why would game science lie about technical issues when the game is selling like hotcakes even on one platform.

Everyone needs to take a step back and take a breath, It's pretty obvious that all the plastic toys will get this game. Jezzy poopoo and Paul tassi aren't the ones to die on a hill for.

These are just losers who crave attention.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I trust this guy more than Tassi personally

Translated

FYI and for those of you who ask me.Secret exclusives do not exist, when you pay for an exclusivity, you advertise it (obviously), you do not hide it.Of course I have total respect for my colleague, but I trust more in the people who have told me this first-hand.I don't want controversy so here I settle the subject, I still think the same about Wukong.

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

Perhaps PC gamers will revolt against Sony and stop playing their games and Sony will stop releasing on PC and make them exclusive to Playstation once again.

Or, alternately, perhaps nothing at all will happen and business as usual will continue.

For me personally, I'm great with either alternative.

Draugoth

Gold Member
This thread got pretty conspiratorial pretty fast.

Which means this is absolute BS 🤣.

When you gotta jump through hoops and read things that no one is saying then you are probably reading too much into a situation.

No companies are saying anything because there is literally no need to. Why would Sony mention the game js multiplatform and send potential gamers to a competitor. Why would MS say anything and send their players to a competitors console because of a game they can't get on theirs.

And why would game science lie about technical issues when the game is selling like hotcakes even on one platform.

Everyone needs to take a step back and take a breath, It's pretty obvious that all the plastic toys will get this game. Jezzy poopoo and Paul tassi aren't the ones to die on a hill for.

These are just losers who crave attention.

They are already popping out articles about this. Bullshit or not, Forbes still had weight in their words. The problem is that Black Science almost never replies to rumors.

I trust this guy more than Tassi personally

Translated

FYI and for those of you who ask me.Secret exclusives do not exist, when you pay for an exclusivity, you advertise it (obviously), you do not hide it.Of course I have total respect for my colleague, but I trust more in the people who have told me this first-hand.I don't want controversy so here I settle the subject, I still think the same about Wukong.

Leakers fighting lmao

Last edited:

Skifi28

We have the Microsoft statement which is very specifically worded, we now have an independent source confirming what Microsoft stated twice and absolutely nothing from Sony to refute it. Come on buddy you can't be that naive.
Yes, we have the Microsoft PR statement which is specifically worded to throw accusations without really saying anything and then the usual suspects having "sources" . I know that your bias compels you to pounce on any bone thrown your way, but I'd rather remain skeptical until we have some actual proof. This is too much like the baldur's gate exclusivity fiasco. Could there be a deal? Sure. Is there any actual evidence of it yet? I haven't seen any. When there is, I'll agree with you.

JackMcGunns

You're talking about when they purchase companies. They already did a deal like you're talking about with Stellar Blade. They had no issue advertising that.

Was Stellar Blade coming to Xbox Series X|S with announcement labels and all, then switched to PS only? I wasn't aware of that.

Something is not adding up here. Where is the marketing from Sony like they do for all their other timed exclusive deals? Like it's literally part of the deal every other time but not this time? Doesn't add up to how we know these kind of deals work.

Your telling me the devs themselves lied? Why would they do that? They could have easily just said they will talk more about the xbox release at a later date or not even mention xbox at all, but they lied knowing they could easily be refuted? Doesn't add up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom