• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taul Passi: Black Myth Wukong not coming to Xbox due to an exclusivity deal

Topher

Gold Member
I trust this guy more than Tassi personally

Translated

FYI and for those of you who ask me.Secret exclusives do not exist, when you pay for an exclusivity, you advertise it (obviously), you do not hide it.Of course I have total respect for my colleague, but I trust more in the people who have told me this first-hand.I don't want controversy so here I settle the subject, I still think the same about Wukong.

So we really just have a lot of conflicting information here.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

You mean .. we have ... some .. slimy platform things

laugh-anime.gif

XXL

We tend to know more about what is going on with Xbox than anyone else. They do talk a lot. Frequently, and frankly. But we also get much more leaks about them as well. We knew almost immediately they were going multiplatform. We know about the PC hybrid thing. We knew about all of it.
Xbox outright lies or (at best) twists the truth all the fucking time is my point and you have literally had emotional breakdowns on here attempting to defend them.

That's how you got that tag.

Let's be real here.

We have the Microsoft statement which is very specifically worded, we now have an independent source confirming what Microsoft stated twice and absolutely nothing from Sony to refute it. Come on buddy you can't be that naive.

We also have the developers themselves telling you the exact reason for the delay and Extras1 confirming the issues as well.

XXL

I have no clue and haven't been paying much attention to the drama surrounding this.

But it doesn't make sense why they (Playstation) would hide this from people. They would only be hurting themselves being silent about it, especially considering how insanely popular the game is right now.

SHA

So the exclusive deal is to solve technical issues behind the scenes and make it look it's nothing, that's half ass deal then.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

They are already popping out articles about this. Bullshit or not, Forbes still had weight in their words. The problem is that Black Science almost never replies to rumors.
I Think they realize there's 0 point in doing so, look at the conspiracies already. The game will come to Xbox In a few months or whatever and literally no one will remember any of this

And when it turns out to be complete bs, will the so called Journos apologize for their misinformation, my bet would go with no, they'll do the usual "mY SoURcEs WerE WrOnG, I HAve NeW OnEs noW I PwoMiSe" and try act like they are the victims.

People shouldn't give these online losers attention. There's barely a handful of people who you can definitely say have insider knowledge.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Xbox outright lies or (at best) twists the truth all the fucking time is my point and you have literally had emotional breakdowns on here attempting to defend them.

That's how you got that tag.

Let's be real here.
I don't believe what MS says point blank every time. I didn't believe them on the 4 games thing, because we had such an overwhelmingly convincing leaker here on GAF giving details about it constantly. But they still do speak very frankly a lot of the time, and far more than Sony and Nintendo do. And like I just explained to you, we do tend to get more reporting, more leaks from that side this whole gen. Sony does not maintain press contacts like they used to. So as someone who follows gaming news, combining all the available sources, I feel most informed in regards to what is going on with MS and it's not even close.

In this case, press were able to get comment from MS twice just on Black Myth Wukong. I don't know if they've gotten a comment from Sony on practically anything all generation. Now that doesn't mean you just believe MS point blank, but you take that with all other available info and try to see what's happening.

And even then, all along I've said I don't know either way. The crow is for the people here insisting they knew there is zero deal, which is something I never did.

My tag is from a joke.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Exclusivity deal with which company? It clearly isn't PlayStation. I know Sony has done a lot of retarded things in the recent years, but they have been very clear with theil deals. They would be shouting it from the rooftops, especially since it is one of the biggest games of the year.

Since when are marketing deals retarded? They are not here with their console to help their competition.

If this is true then what a stroke of genius from Sony.

Black Myth is probably the biggest game to come out of China and PlayStation now has its foot in the door in China.

Microsoft, on the other hand, don’t seem to care about countries outside the anglosphere.

XXL

But they still do speak very frankly a lot of the time, and far more than Sony and Nintendo do.
100% and them never just being quiet and letting the games do the talking is part of what got them into the mess they are in with Xbox as a brand. Most people don't believe a fucking word they say now.

skit_data

Gold Member
I mean it would make sense if they did something like this but if it's the case Gamescience really pulled the shortest straw (well, outside of Xbox of course) because Sony has done a pretty shit job at marketing/pushing the game on their channels/twitter for being a supposed console exclusive. The game doesn't seem to need much marketing to sell but still.

Last edited:
I mean it would make sense if they did something like this but if it's the case Gamescience really pulled the shortest straw (well, outside of Xbox of course) because Sony has done a pretty shit job at marketing/pushing the game on their channels/twitter for being a supposed console exclusive. The game doesn't seem to need much marketing to sell but still.
Well it's also a tech disaster on PS5 so why would they?

I don't believe anything that comes from their PR dept

Never forget "Its not Starfield or Indiana Jones"
When was the last time either Sony or MS made a comment like that before about an exclusivity deal with the other company before launch? They generally don't, this is clearly someone just trying to change the narrative about the Series S causing problems for some devs. This is also a dev who's never worked on these machines before so it's understandable that they'd have some problems.

skit_data

Gold Member
Well it's also a tech disaster on PS5 so why would they?
Of course they would push it if they've paid for having it exclusive.

You think whatever technical issues it has would trump the appeal of saying "PS5 console exclusive"? You really have high thoughts about their care for the players experience vs being able to sell boatloads of the game on their console if that's what you think is going on

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
I have no idea if there is indeed a deal or not, but it really doesn't make sense once you think about it and compare it to every single other exclusivity deal they've done before. Not to mention the devs keep mentioning it's coming to Xbox, when was the last time a timed exclusive kept mentioning it's coming to the competition on release date? Unless we get a credible source, I'd rather believe the devs on this.
Harrison Ford GIF

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Jez made up some bullshit, got flak. Tassi quotes Jez' bullshit and says its an anonymous source (really its just jez). Jez quotes Tassi and says he was right all along.

rofl.
Like I said, LaLa Land.

Topher Topher

In fairness to you (because you deserve it), I get your skepticism. But really, when looking at the full picture, we're dealing with known liars and a dev who has no reason to lie (and Sony would be screaming about this exclusivity if it existed). Seems pretty clear cut, I'd say. On top of that HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 has been pretty clear about this and he's certainly an Xbox fan to believe. :)

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
When was the last time either Sony or MS made a comment like that before about an exclusivity deal with the other company before launch? They generally don't, this is clearly someone just trying to change the narrative about the Series S causing problems for some devs. This is also a dev who's never worked on these machines before so it's understandable that they'd have some problems.
In regard to this game there's no verification that it's Series S holding it back, either. So it really just comes down to whether someone wants to believe it's an exclusivity deal or whether someone wants to believe Series S is holding it back. We've also heard that the Series X|S version of the game has a memory leak preventing it from passing certification, but I don't think that's been verified, either.

We probably won't ever know unless Game Science just comes out and tells people what's going on.

proandrad

If Sony paid to keep it exclusive, why wouldn’t they start marketing the game as a console exclusive? Are they stupid?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
In regard to this game there's no verification that it's Series S holding it back, either. So it really just comes down to whether someone wants to believe it's an exclusivity deal or whether someone wants to believe Series S is holding it back. We've also heard that the Series X|S version of the game has a memory leak preventing it from passing certification, but I don't think that's been verified, either.

We probably won't ever know unless Game Science just comes out and tells people what's going on.
We don't know the problem as the Dev statement was rather generic

"We are currently optimizing the Xbox Series X|S version to meet our quality standards," Game Science said, "so it won't release simultaneously with the other platforms. We apologize for the delay and aim to minimize the wait for Xbox users. We will announce the release date as soon as it meets our quality standards."

If Sony paid for this why would Game Science have even made a statement?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Jez has lied before and we have a dev with no such history. So, let's believe the liar...

:goog_tongue:
I just have no patience for defending something I didn't say. I didn't say I believed Jez. I said I didn't know, but would love to hear some confirmation. If you just assume I'm some caricature then it's not worth talking.

Wait .. what?

elaborate please?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Holy fucking shit. This is downright dirty as fuck.

How many deals could be made like this where they done even say it's due to an exclusivity deal. And saying it's a technical issue so it's also creating a negative perception of the hardware.

So much crow to be served here. Fuxk Sony for this dirty assed exclusive money hats.

At least have the balls to say you've done it.

Despicable.

He's probably lying. If the claim is true, surely he can provide some proof. Someone has to have a copy of the contract; just scan a part of it and upload anonymously. The internet can handle it from there.

In any case, it's no more egregious than the marketing deal MS has arranged with Atlus for Metaphor. These kind of deals are perfectly fine; ultimately it makes gamers with their finances in order be open to more choice. That's what we want, right? More choice for content?

Holy fucking shit. This is downright dirty as fuck.

How many deals could be made like this where they done even say it's due to an exclusivity deal. And saying it's a technical issue so it's also creating a negative perception of the hardware.

So much crow to be served here. Fuxk Sony for this dirty assed exclusive money hats.

At least have the balls to say you've done it.

Despicable.

So tell me how you feel about STALKER 2, Echo Generation, Replaced, The Gunk, and the Metaphor marketing that completely omits PlayStation out of mention even on the Atlus Youtube channels and social media?

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
We don't know the problem as the Dev statement was rather generic

"We are currently optimizing the Xbox Series X|S version to meet our quality standards," Game Science said, "so it won't release simultaneously with the other platforms. We apologize for the delay and aim to minimize the wait for Xbox users. We will announce the release date as soon as it meets our quality standards."

If Sony paid for this why would Game Science have even made a statement?
This is part of what I do not get, why would they say anything, especially a flat out lie when they could have just said something more generic?

Gamers: Trust him bro, he heard it from sources.
Also Gamers: The ultimate source (in this case the dev) is lying because it does not align with my beliefs.

I'm guilty of it too. Sometimes I just want to believe so hard I toss common sense out of the window for a few minutes.

Top Bottom