• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taul Passi: Black Myth Wukong not coming to Xbox due to an exclusivity deal

So all of this still could very well be what I said that the devs contacted Sony and Xbox they could use some help and only Sony offered help and the devs literally just set the Xbox version aside to finish the Playstation version?

Because I have seen those people say they don't think money was involved and clearly it wasn't about marketing because Sony hasn't done that yet
But still a deal? You can see this isn't quite as straightforward as was initially suggested especially around Gaf.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
So all of this still could very well be what I said that the devs contacted Sony and Xbox they could use some help and only Sony offered help and the devs literally just set the Xbox version aside to finish the Playstation version?

Because I have seen those people say they don't think money was involved and clearly it wasn't about marketing because Sony hasn't done that yet
And if there was an exclusive situation Sony has had 2 months to prepare a marketing campaign aka more than enough time so we should've seen it since.

Skifi28

Thank you, someone who's actually open to discussion instead of posting abuse or GIFs.
Oh, poor you being abused. You've always been so open for discussion and hearing different opinions in this thread.

Im not sure you're playing with a full deck mate
Wait I'll get you a shovel.
only a moron would think otherwise.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Oh, poor you being abused. You've always been so open for discussion and hearing different opinions in this thread.
But I sent a gif dude, do you have any idea how agressive it was?
Animated GIF

That we can agree on, but have they done that?Since then you have to remember that they totally changed their tune ...So why believe the rumor of people backtracking ?
A twitter post is not re-editing an article, if information was found to be false that would have to be done.
Ok, I am guilty of being an ass sometimes.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
But still a deal? You can see this isn't quite as straightforward as was initially suggested especially around Gaf.
Oh I 100% can not rule out a deal though I think its pretty narrow in scope and not as nefarious as some make it out to be

Personally still leaning with what I was told that Xbox just didn't send help and GS just stopped working on the Xbox version while Sony helped with the PS port

Now did Sony say something like "Hey we will only help you if you delay the Xbox port"

I guess thats possible but one would think Sony would be yelling at every mountain top a timed exclusive

Its hard to know what to believe since several other insiders have disputed what Jez and Tassi and IGN and DF have said

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
A twitter post is not re-editing an article, if information was found to be false that would have to be done.

Ok, I am guilty of being an ass sometimes.
Great so your conclusion is that a rumor is a rumor ?So you do agree that they backtracked but are just dismissing that because it hasn't been published (yet?)...Do you believe every wrong article that hasn't been corrected? Do you know that there is still a video from df saying that the PS5 has no ray tracing capability?Maybe it hasn't the article hasn't been corrected since...
You just want the news to follow the stories that have changed at least 3 times from Tassi and Corden, do you think it would just be smarter for them to just let the story unfold before updating?

Mr Moose

Ok, I am not too familiar with Jez or Tassi right, so maybe it's bullshit from them, but Richard Leadbetter has been in the industry a very long time and has many contacts within the industry. If he is saying he's heard things himself irrespective of those two then are we just burying our heads because it's not what we first thought?
Guess where Richards info would be from? Same place as Jizz and Tassi. From MicroSoft, and we know how trustworthy they are, they would never lie and spread FUD.
You should ask HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 about Digital Foundry.

Guess where Richards info would be from? Same place as Jizz and Tassi. From MicroSoft, and we know how trustworthy they are, they would never lie and spread FUD.
You should ask HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 about Digital Foundry.
If you know where this information comes from then maybe you should write an article? The fact is you don't and nor does anyone barring Jez, Tassi (Forbes) IGN and Richard (Digital Foundry).

What we do know is there is more than one source relaying the same information, and that's why this story is gaining traction.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
If you know where this information comes from then maybe you should write an article? The fact is you don't and nor does anyone barring Jez, Tassi (Forbes) IGN and Richard (Digital Foundry).

What we do know is there is more than one source relaying the same information, and that's why this story is gaining traction.
One admitting it was speculation, the other admitted he didn't know and the others are vague as fuck...But extas1s, Grubb and the studio don't count for reasons...

Tsaki

No matter what happens, Xbox players are in a tough spot either way.

If Sony didn’t do much beyond assisting the developers with the port, it could suggest a few possibilities:
  1. Microsoft might have believed the game wouldn't be a hit or wasn't worth any investment, reflecting a lack of interest in markets outside the Anglosphere.
  2. The Xbox Series' install base might be too small to make the platform attractive for Day 1 porting, leading to it being deprioritized.
  3. There could be technical challenges in porting the game to Xbox (Series S?), which is the only clear explanation we have from the studio at the moment.
If Sony did make a deal to exclude Xbox, then:
  1. Xbox players might not get the game until much later, long after it's lost relevance.
  2. Sony would be reinforcing its strategy of securing third-party exclusives to strengthen its platform, at the expense of Xbox players—something that's been common practice among platform holders since the beginning of consoles.
  3. This could diminish the hope of Xbox fans who believed that, now that Microsoft has started porting their games, Sony would do the same.
  4. It's being bankrolled by MS
AnUOaVS.jpeg

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I explained to you about zero retractions in any of those articles.
Yeah but your denial ain't my problem, you just want to believe them when it suits you.But if you want to go with official source let's go with it...
The studio said in an interview that sony helped without demanding any form of exclusivity, the studio later said that they needed more time to optimize xbox version(s)...What tassi pulled is called a rumor so please enlighten us about your scale of reliability.Because so far it looks like this:
Rumor from "journalists
|
|
| The studio statement about their own game, twice.
|
|
|
|
|The same journalists backtracking on twitter
|
|
|
|Logic

Crazy how an official public statement by the studio ranks lower than rumors....

Yeah but your denial ain't my problem, you just want to believe them when it suits you.But if you want to go with official source let's go with it...
The studio said in an interview that sony helped without demanding any form of exclusivity, the studio later said that they needed more time to optimize xbox version(s)...What tassi pulled is called a rumor so please enlighten us about your scale of reliability.Because so far it looks like this:
Rumor from "journalists
|
|
| The studio statement about their own game, twice.
|
|
|
|
|The same journalists backtracking on twitter
|
|
|
|Logic

Crazy how an official public statement by the studio ranks lower than rumors....
You don't get it, don't worry about it.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
We're about two pages away from implicating involvement from the CIA and the illuminati 🤣.
Don't forget pizza ovens, they're at the center...
You don't get it, don't worry about it.
Powerful rebuttal there.Packed with ironclad points, the classic tassi's school of denial.Maybe it seems possible there's a good point in that post?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They have a confirmed source, these articles are written only if that source has been checked and verified, that's how it works.
And what if that confirmed source for all is just one person in Xbox who is spreading lies?

We don't even know the name or designation of the person.

None of these "journalists" even mention who did they talk to in Xbox. There is no reason for anonymity here.

Darsxx82

Oh I 100% can not rule out a deal though I think its pretty narrow in scope and not as nefarious as some make it out to be

Personally still leaning with what I was told that Xbox just didn't send help and GS just stopped working on the Xbox version while Sony helped with the PS port

Now did Sony say something like "Hey we will only help you if you delay the Xbox port"

I guess thats possible but one would think Sony would be yelling at every mountain top a timed exclusive

Its hard to know what to believe since several other insiders have disputed what Jez and Tassi and IGN and DF have said

Anyway, the reality is that, at this point, what we have is a lot of noise and what we could understand as an "accusation" to the Studio and SONY and yet no one has come out to deny it.

And no, the justification of :"the Studio has already manifested itself"..... because nothing prevents Game Science from making a clarification and more so when it did not have problems in making one for the : "nobody cares about that platform" in the supposed event in CHINA where, among other things, a strong marketing and promotion agreement of Wukong by SONY throughout Asia was affirmed. Couple this with the suspicious situation where the announcement of the cancellation of the XS version for day one is made less than 2 months before and live at the most important event of the year followed by millions of viewers ..... What better advertising than that??

ournalists attending the ChinaJoy exhibition were able to communicate with representatives from Game Science and S-GAME studios, where they addressed the issue of exclusivity for the PS5. According to the developers, they are indeed working closely with the PlayStation games division. The company offers comprehensive support in promoting games in China and abroad. In a way, Sony is the publisher of Black Myth: Wukong and Phantom Blade Zero, the authors note. However, this collaboration imposes no obligations on the teams. The developers decide independently which platforms they will release their games on and, at the moment, the most promising for release are PC and PS5.

Personally, from the first moment I made my assessment of what could have happened. The most logical and one that would fit with all the arguments is that, at some point, SONY proposed to Game Science to support the development and promotion of the game if the STudio committed to having the PS5 version ready for day one along with the PC version. Then the Studio seeing its limitations to comply decided to suspend the development of the XS version and would inform MS. MS can perfectly say that it was due to an agreement between SONY and GS (although that doesn't leave MS in a good place in terms of its commitment to Xseries users)

If you move away from the different manifestations and interpretations and focus on what MS says, you will see that the MS manifestation focuses more on denying the information or idea that the delay in the release of the game in XS was due to technical problems and more specifically to problems developing the XSS version which is what the entire XBOX hater community embraced.

Zacfoldor

I explained to you about zero retractions in any of those articles.
You know what the people who wrote those articles are doing? Praying they were correct.

At this point, it is up to them to prove it. Xbox will not be allowed to get a win out of this without proof and if it turns out to have been just Sony helping team Monke figure out how to port it to PS5 but Xbox not doing that for their console(which is what this feels like to me), then this will end up flipping back on everyone who reported it, in a way that forever hurts their credibility.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Anyway, the reality is that, at this point, what we have is a lot of noise and what we could understand as an "accusation" to the Studio and SONY and yet no one has come out to deny it.

And no, the justification of :"the Studio has already manifested itself"..... because nothing prevents Game Science from making a clarification and more so when it did not have problems in making one for the : "nobody cares about that platform" in the supposed event in CHINA where, among other things, a strong marketing and promotion agreement of Wukong by SONY throughout Asia was affirmed. Couple this with the suspicious situation where the announcement of the cancellation of the XS version for day one is made less than 2 months before and live at the most important event of the year followed by millions of viewers ..... What better advertising than that??

Personally, from the first moment I made my assessment of what could have happened. The most logical and one that would fit with all the arguments is that, at some point, SONY proposed to Game Science to support the development and promotion of the game if the STudio committed to having the PS5 version ready for day one along with the PC version. Then the Studio seeing its limitations to comply decided to suspend the development of the XS version and would inform MS. MS can perfectly say that it was due to an agreement between SONY and GS (although that doesn't leave MS in a good place in terms of its commitment to Xseries users)

If you move away from the different manifestations and interpretations and focus on what MS says, you will see that the MS manifestation focuses more on denying the information or idea that the delay in the release of the game in XS was due to technical problems and more specifically to problems developing the XSS version which is what the entire XBOX hater community embraced.
That's a post that makes sense and seems in line with what *shrugs* shpeshal nick said.Except the promotion part since sony has not promotted the game but that is anecdotal in your post.
Xbox probably thought that the game wouldn't live to the hype, which let's be fair was very probable considering the skepticism(myself included) there was about this game.I'm not talkingt about dei sweet baby or shit like that, just that they hit fucking hard for a 1st game.And that gives me some hope about Phantom blade 0 because a lot of what was shown seemed too good to be true but if they manage to pull off a game as good as BMWK, then damn we're in for a treat.
But yeah you're right sony sending a team to help the game releasing on time may be one of the if not the reason that the xbox version got pushed back, maybe Ms sent their teams to other games they deemed more interesting too.Because I don't think that MS support teams sit on their asses doing nothing, maybe just a bad bet that X game would sell more than Y game (and it may not be a bad bet too, maybe there's a game that will come out and be a major success that would've otherwise been delayed.

You know what the people who wrote those articles are doing? Praying they were correct.

At this point, it is up to them to prove it. Xbox will not be allowed to get a win out of this without proof and if it turns out to have been just Sony helping team Monke figure out how to port it to PS5 but Xbox not doing that for their console(which is what this feels like to me), then this will end up flipping back on everyone who reported it, in a way that forever hurts their credibility.
Agreed.

demigod

Xbox fans love transparency from ms, yet there's no word from phil, aaron, booty and bond why one of the best selling games this year isn't out yet on their platform. You guys need to go ask your overlords and stop trying to ask Sony which has nothing to do with the xbox platform.

SONY proposed to Game Science to support the development and promotion of the game if the STudio committed to having the PS5 version ready for day one along with the PC version. Then the Studio seeing its limitations to comply decided to suspend the development of the XS version and would inform MS. MS can perfectly say

No, they can't. This allegation is not only false but made in bad faith. It's an outrageous interpretation of the facts. Prioritizing the version with the biggest sales prospect and technical assistance is basic business sense, nothing to do with exclusivity deals behind the curtains.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

The problem here is IGN, Jez and the likes really don't care about credibility with how infantile they have acted in the past, its all about clicks for them

As far as DF goes most here know why I don't trust them in situations like this

I have not seen enough of Tassi's work to comment on

Darsxx82

No, they can't. This allegation is not only false but made in bad faith. It's an outrageous interpretation of the facts. Prioritizing the version with the biggest sales prospect and technical assistance is basic business sense, nothing to do with exclusivity deals behind the curtains.

Well, it's clear that we're all speculating here. I don't know if you will have the same energy in discussing the theory of "XSS is the problem" that maybe you think it is more feasible but it is really just as speculative.

That said. There is an agreement between partners. If the Studio agrees with MS to release its game day one on XSeries and less than 2 months before the release it communicates to MS that it postpones the release on XS because need all the means for fulfill a commitment signed with SONY by which the PS5 version has to be released day one..... clearly MS comes out to affirm and deny that the cause of the cancellation was not technical problems nor cause of XSS and rather contractual obligations of the Studio with other platforms (although as I say, for me this "excuse", as real as it could be, almost leaves MS in a worse place in front of its users who want examples of compromises and not of neglect that give rise to these situations).

akira__

The problem here is IGN, Jez and the likes really don't care about credibility with how infantile they have acted in the past, its all about clicks for them

As far as DF goes most here know why I don't trust them in situations like this

I have not seen enough of Tassi's work to comment on
I do trust DF, I trust whatever the situation is. They'll discuss the event as if they are official MS spokespersons.

Det

Neo Member
Does not respond to emails from indie developers seeking approval of their game.
There is no support for third party partners.

It's because there are no people to meet these demands, all of them generated by someone who has "his own platform"

Why would you have people working in these areas if you intend to finish the platform?

cireza

Gold Member
Xbox fans love transparency from ms, yet there's no word from phil, aaron, booty and bond why one of the best selling games this year isn't out yet on their platform. You guys need to go ask your overlords and stop trying to ask Sony which has nothing to do with the xbox platform.
I don't give a shit about Wukong. Getting both Capcom Collections is what was important.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think everybody is ignoring the most obvious question here:

Why isn't Microsoft allowed to say that Sony has a timed-exclusivity deal for Black Myth Wukong? 🤔

They have mentioned about Sony's exclusivity deals multiple times in the past. They did it in courts as well. Why can't they do it now?

Funny how people keep ignoring Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 here. So, why can't MS openly say it was an exclusive deal set in place by Sony? Why isn't Phil allowed to say it out loud?

Venom Snake

You know what guys, ultimately everyone should believe in what allows them to sleep at night.

I think Paul and Jez went overboard, but maybe that's how it was meant to be. It starts with a small suggestion from above that paves the way for a new narrative, let the social media cannon fodder take over the burden of the idea and go with it to the very bottom, like a leaky boat. People are more susceptible when angry, even bullshit doesn't taste that bad. Pathetic tactics if you ask me, but if some want to eat it, let them eat it.

For those who are already playing Black Myth Wukong, this doesn't change anything. For this reason, i wouldn't give two shits about Sony's secret dealings.
Whoever should be asking any questions here, it's not us. This should be done by those who didn't get their own version of the game, just a bunch of unreliable nonsense from a few unreliable Twitter personalities, now quoted by everyone hoping for some traffic while the topic is hot.

Let them listen to whoever they want, if it is their ego that decides where their money goes, then no arguments are needed here.

I can't understand how you can put a post with a part that you consider useful to prove your opinion to the point that you decide to make it bigger while letting the next part who said exacly the opposite. Just please read your article. It is said twice that the devs had no obligation to be exclusive to Sony.
I will put the first part of the article, where there is a clear affirmation:
Last week, China hosted the huge ChinaJoy 2024 gaming expo. Local developers showcased their most exciting new titles, with the action games Black Myth: Wukong and Phantom Blade Zero particularly catching the attention of gamers. PlayStation was the official partner of both games, which caused some discontent among gamers who prefer to play on Xbox. However, the developers themselves quickly cleared up the confusion by stating that they have no exclusive agreements with Sony.
For me maybe Sony asked them to work hard on the Pro. But beyond that there is no reason for the studio to lie because they a leaving millions of sales that Sony would be hard pressed to pay for if they do not have the benefits that go with it(marketing). It seems clear that Sony helped them and others studios in China. Good for them. It it now Microsoft time to step up and do the same.

Darsxx82

I can't understand how you can put a post with a part that you consider useful to prove your opinion to the point that you decide to make it bigger while letting the next part who said exacly the opposite. Just please read your article. It is said twice that the devs had no obligation to be exclusive to Sony.
I will put the first part of the article, where there is a clear affirmation:

For me maybe Sony asked them to work hard on the Pro. But beyond that there is no reason for the studio to lie because they a leaving millions of sales that Sony would be hard pressed to pay for if they do not have the benefits that go with it(marketing). It seems clear that Sony helped them and others studios in China. Good for them. It it now Microsoft time to step up and do the same.
Rather, you have not understood what was responding to what statement...... I was responding to the statement that "Sony has not done any promotion or marketing of the game"...and according to that article it is quite the opposite.

Of course, I don't know where you get that I was referring to an exclusivity agreement, especially when, as you have seen, I highlighted and assumed the opposite.

NEbeast

They are on published gaming sites. I agree that it shouldnt be Microsoft that is being trusted here with commentary.

When sources leak information, its a journalists job to go directly to the source. In this case Sony and GS and ask them for a clear comment on the claims. THere is multiple sites reporting this now, claiming to have multiple people with knowledge on the subject confirming that there is some sort of strange deal in place.

It needs clarification from the people that would know about the deal and the details of it. If they come out and absolutely claim there is nothing going on after this then I would side with them.
Aren't you a PC gamer? Why tf do you care so much, buy it on Steam.

Ebrietas

Neo Member
Some people really need to get used to the idea that even without any exclusivity deals, many devs are just not going to prioritize an Xbox version, especially Asian devs. Doesn't mean an Xbox version won't be made; it's just not top priority. It's a small userbase full of people who don't even like buying games. And this is before considering the technical hurdles with the Series S. The vast majority of money is made on PS, Switch, and PC. So why spend too many resources on some small platform with limited sales potential. We're not in the 360 vs PS3 days anymore. The only leverage MS has these days is their checkbook, and that seems to be drying up fast with Satya and the top brass wanting to see returns on their investments.

To think of it another way, ask yourself why Larian was ok releasing the PS5 version of BG3 even though the Xbox version wasn't ready, and why they didn't just delay it instead. Ask yourself if Rockstar would delay GTA6 on PS5 if Series S were causing them problems. I guarantee in the opposite scenario they would delay the game until the PS5 version were ready. They know where their bread is buttered.

demigod

An exclusivity deal ? Damn. That would be the first time I see Sony doing this.

This is a bit like telling you believe in the power of generations, to then release only cross-platform games. Or not disclosing an exclusive as temporary from the beginning. Pretty shady communication amirite ?

I don't give a shit about Wukong. Getting both Capcom Collections is what was important.
You don’t give a shit about Wukong yet you’re in the 2nd page of this thread. Keep lying to yourself. Still believing this fake rumor? No communications from the 4 loudmouths, who is shady now?

Rather, you have not understood what was responding to what statement...... I was responding to the statement that "Sony has not done any promotion or marketing of the game"...and according to that article it is quite the opposite.

Of course, I don't know where you get that I was referring to an exclusivity agreement, especially when, as you have seen, I highlighted and assumed the opposite.
I can get your point. But if you accept the idea that there is no deal, and that Sony helped Game science bur Xbox did not, why begin your post by being critical of them when there is affirmation once again of no exclusivity deal at the event. How many times must Game science repeat themselves? Until the game is out on Xbox?

Darsxx82

I can get your point. But if you accept the idea that there is no deal, and that Sony helped Game science bur Xbox did not, why begin your post by being critical of them when there is affirmation once again of no exclusivity deal at the event. How many times must Game science repeat themselves? Until the game is out on Xbox?
Let's see,

Point one. Where have I criticized someone's ? 🤷🏻 In any case, I have criticized MS because, even if it were telling the truth, it is still bad in terms of negligence and lack of commitment to its users for not doing everything to avoid situations like this.

Point two. I think what we are trying to do here is clarify what could have happened and what is true and what is a lie. That some here have decided that the only possible reason is XSS and technical problemas and that MS is lying is not my problem.

Then, the fact that there is no exclusivity agreement is not incompatible with the fact that there could be a legal agreement or contractual commitment between GS-Sony that was the trigger for the suspension of the XSX version.

That is to say, GS is committed to having the PS5 version on day one on the market in exchange for technical support and help in the promotion and marketing of the game (Sony has done promotion and marketing of the game and in Asia it has been quite strong). When the time comes, they see that they do not have the means to have any console version finished and they obviously decide to suspend the one with which they have no contractual obligation.

We then have to:

-MS's response would make sense. In fact, MS's intention is not to point out and "blame" the supossed Sony-GS agreement, it is to deny that the reason is technical problems or the problems with the XSS version that many have embraced and had spread rapidly through social networks. .

-GS's answer would also be true. If they had to focus their time on optimizing the PS5 version (which on the other hand left a lot to be desired in that regard), the XS version was certainly far from being ready to be released. Surely they decided to avoid a Calisto Protocol case.
Of course, with so much noise generated and seeing how they have had no problems answering other rumors, I am sure that if MS was lying they would have responded something.

-Sony's non-response. It's not that Sony is going to change its modus operandi that it has always used

I don't know, I think it's a coherent, even neutral, relationship of facts that would make everything fit.🤷🏻

Top Bottom