• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
The whole thing with everyone being shocked that Goku died and came back to life, so unexplored in Dragon Ball. Brilliant.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
this is the best abridged series ever! of all time

It is thus far mostly flawless, however I remember that SMA was similar when it was at this episode count, and although it had begun to slightly falter around this time, YTAS was still quite good too. Point is, we'll see how long it lasts. I didn't really care for episode 27 myself.

McNum

Goku and Freeza are awesome together. I love how Goku repeatedly gets Freeza to just stare in disbelief.

So, how close are we storywise to the Super Saiyan? It's been a while since I saw the show.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Goku and Freeza are awesome together. I love how Goku repeatedly gets Freeza to just stare in disbelief.

So, how close are we storywise to the Super Saiyan? It's been a while since I saw the show.

Next ep, I remember their Twitter tweeted about someone recording Goku's SS scream or something.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
That 12 minute abridged episode covered five and a half episodes of the original series.

FIVE AND A HALF

jaxword

What's strange is that people offer to help the team but they completely refuse to accept anything. Not even just voice stuff, just genuine community help like getting the word out or something.

Strange, that.

What's strange is that people offer to help the team but they completely refuse to accept anything. Not even just voice stuff, just genuine community help like getting the word out or something.

Strange, that.

Maybe they want the minimal amount of exposure in order to keep TOEI/Funimation/whoever appeased.

Maybe they want the minimal amount of exposure in order to keep TOEI/Funimation/whoever appeased.

That's probably exactly it. If it gets too big, say goodbye.

There's no way that the content owners aren't aware of its existence, but it's small enough to not be much of a bother and just big enough to result in an unwanted potential shitstorm if they kill it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
That's probably exactly it. If it gets too big, say goodbye.

There's no way that the content owners aren't aware of its existence, but it's small enough to not be much of a bother and just big enough to result in an unwanted potential shitstorm if they kill it.

Yeah, honestly if anything Abridged is actually revitalizing interest in the series, so I'm sure Funimation isn't keen on squashing it, but they can't let it get so big that it threatens the copyright.

I'm sure TFS and Funimation have exchanged e-mails at least one.

Yeah, honestly if anything Abridged is actually revitalizing interest in the series, so I'm sure Funimation isn't keen on squashing it, but they can't let it get so big that it threatens the copyright.

There was a point in time where the Abridged show was sent a "cease and desist" order by Toei I think. There was a lot of drama then, but they somehow were able to get back to making it.

It's the main reason TFS refuses help from anyone.

I'm certain it is revitalizing interest. The content owners need as much help as they can get these days, with anime DVD sales down so much and continually dropping. Also, people on the internet love jumping on bandwagon "causes", so if DBZ Abridged gets shut down there will be a whole ton of people who have never heard of it suddenly aware of it and getting their hate on for whichever party pulled the trigger. Even a minor boycott may prove fatal for Funimation at this point.

There probably have been lawyerly exchanges between Funimation and TFS. One of which probably said "if we find evidence you're making even a penny from this we're shutting you down."

Jokab

Hadn't heard of this before so I decided to check the last episode out. Very disappointed in the comedy, I barely even smirked at anything. The cutting was well done I guess, but overall I wasn't impressed. I found the Yu-Gi-Oh-abridged series to be much funnier, and for them I hadn't even watched any episodes or read comics (I've read all the comcs for DB several times).

You really have to start at the beginning to appreciate DBZA. There's a whole line of running jokes and character traits that are established as it goes along.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Funimation at least know they exist. Christopher Sabat has done cameos for them so they don't seem to have an issue with them.

jaxword

Hadn't heard of this before so I decided to check the last episode out. Very disappointed in the comedy, I barely even smirked at anything. The cutting was well done I guess, but overall I wasn't impressed. I found the Yu-Gi-Oh-abridged series to be much funnier, and for them I hadn't even watched any episodes or read comics (I've read all the comcs for DB several times).

Yeah, you ruined it for yourself by starting now.

The series' comedy only works for people who have watched the DBZ Funimation series and can see how the abridged version plays off that gradually (establishing in jokes and such.)

Starting now would be painfully unfunny.

Yeah, you ruined it for yourself by starting now.

The series' comedy only works for people who have watched the DBZ Funimation series and can see how the abridged version plays off that gradually (establishing in jokes and such.)

Starting now would be painfully unfunny.

I barely saw any of the Funimation series and find it hilarious.

totowhoa

Banned
Loved it, though I'd say it was a bit weaker, but there's also not a lot to work with at this point. They are speeding things upon along nicely, though. This whole part of the series lacks a lot of material, so I've been pleasantly surprised with how funny it's been. I'm hoping Namek is done with in the next two episodes, but that might be a bit wishful.

Articalys

That was a fabulous way to handle the whole plot element of the Ginyu Force on King Kai's planet, even better than just skipping over it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
That was a fabulous way to handle the whole plot element of the Ginyu Force on King Kai's planet, even better than just skipping over it.

It was a completely stupid piece of filler they added to the anime that made no sense.

Goku trains with King Kai for 3 months and increases his power like 15-20x.

Tien, Yamcha, and Chiaotzu train for less than a week and they go from Saibaman-level power to Ginyu Force level. That's like, 25x the rate of progression of Goku.

Fuck, Tien took on both Jeice and Burter at the same time.

McNum

I love their sense of comedic timing. That very last thing before the credits. We all knew they were going to do that, it was most likely the entire point of that running gag to eventually do that. And it still made me laugh.

Episode 30 is going to be interesting. I wonder how they'll play Super Saiyan Goku.

Top Bottom