• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

Cheerilee

It was a completely stupid piece of filler they added to the anime that made no sense.

Goku trains with King Kai for 3 months and increases his power like 15-20x.

Tien, Yamcha, and Chiaotzu train for less than a week and they go from Saibaman-level power to Ginyu Force level. That's like, 25x the rate of progression of Goku.

Fuck, Tien took on both Jeice and Burter at the same time.
Goku was much lower than a Saibaman when he died, while Yamcha and Tien were much higher than Saibamen.

And Goku learned the Kaioken and the Spirit Bomb techniques from King Kai directly (after running long distance, and then learning to run in high gravity), while Yamcha and Tien appeared to have just spent the time sparring with each other (in high gravity). Chiaotzu doesn't matter because his opponent was a weakling whose only power was stopping time.

And DBZ is all about multiples. It doesn't matter if Goku got 20x benefit from Kai's training and Yamucha got 40x, because all it means is that Yamucha squeezed in one more 2x multiplier.

Sirius

Best episode in a while, - the writing and timing was impeccable.

"Can't you take a joke?" ....

Lost it at "Did you just hold a grudge?" .. took me a while.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Goku was much lower than a Saibaman when he died, while Yamcha and Tien were much higher than Saibamen.

And Goku learned the Kaioken and the Spirit Bomb techniques from King Kai directly (after running long distance, and then learning to run in high gravity), while Yamcha and Tien appeared to have just spent the time sparring with each other (in high gravity). Chiaotzu doesn't matter because his opponent was a weakling whose only power was stopping time.

And DBZ is all about multiples. It doesn't matter if Goku got 20x benefit from Kai's training and Yamucha got 40x, because all it means is that Yamucha squeezed in one more 2x multiplier.

I know everything yo usaid.

It's really more like 20x vs 450x. That's what it would be after 3 months of training.

Put this way to illustrate how ridiculous the filler scene was: It means that Yamucha and Tien were more powerful than Vegeta, until Vegeta got healed by the Senzu Bean after getting beat up by Recoome. (Chiaotzu only fought Guldo).

Ambitious

Watched it a second time just now and noticed that I overheard the
microwave sound of the spirit bomb and Friezas "kthxdie" at the end. Lol'd

I watched through the entire series last night and then, pleasant surprise! New episode today!
:D
Amazing stuff. Love everything about it. Just high quality work.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
When the Ginyus get kicked down to hell, was that the smash brothers home run bat sound effect I hear?

And LOL at the "Om nom nom" when the genki dama eats Frieza's red ball attack.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
eh, thought it was one of the weaker eps honestly. Wasn't bad though.

Lack of Vegeta hurt it for me. But I know they can't help that.

Ammish

Banned
Wonder if they will give SS Goku a different personality, goes from a moron to a genius or something.

In the Lord Slug Abridged movie TFS did, SSJ Goku still has the same personality as he normally would (just more... angry because he's been told Christmas is getting destroyed), so by that example, Goku's personality wouldn't change much.

GaimeGuy

eh, thought it was one of the weaker eps honestly. Wasn't bad though.

Lack of Vegeta hurt it for me. But I know they can't help that.

I went into the ep expecting one of the worst, since there really isn't much to work with.

Ha, wasn't expecting a new episode so soon.

Not as great as the last one, but the whole "did- did you hold a grudge?" line was amazing.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
sololnpukq.gif

SOOOOOOOO GOOOOD.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Whats up with the new shitty Goku voice?

Edit: Same actor as always, but it sounded different. I haven't watched in a long time.

Yeah, it's still MasakoX.
Yamcha however has a different voice. His original voice actor, Vegeta3986, left because it turned out he was a dick, I'm not sure who his replacement is since the description credits don't mention him.
He also voiced Kami (now voiced by WeeklyTubeShow, another person that makes DBZ parodies) and the second Raditz (the first was voiced by Lanipator but was hijacked because he used the original attack name "Double Sunday" instead of the dub name "Keep Your Eye on the Birdie". In Kai Abridged, Lani reclaimed the character).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Tien sounded really different for me, for this ep that's the one that stood out the most.

Cheerilee

I know everything yo usaid.

It's really more like 20x vs 450x. That's what it would be after 3 months of training.

Put this way to illustrate how ridiculous the filler scene was: It means that Yamucha and Tien were more powerful than Vegeta, until Vegeta got healed by the Senzu Bean after getting beat up by Recoome. (Chiaotzu only fought Guldo).

Goku was around 400 when he went to King Kai, and came back over 9000 (20x improvement).

Tien was around 2000 when he went to King Kai, and was seen as being over 90,000 (40x improvement). You're using funny math to say it was 450x.

Basically, they just let Tien and Yamcha reach a level that Goku (and Vegeta) had already passed, which isn't that crazy when you consider that right before they died they were tossing around Raditz-level opponents that were previously impossible by Goku/Piccolo standards.

I love that they've kept the Goku VA they used for the Abridged Saiyan Saga instead of doing the rounds of going through three VAs like the original dub did.

Malajax

Power level arguments? Dear God... I've time traveled 10 years into the past!

Episode was great. The only abridged series worth crap.

GaimeGuy

Goku was around 400 when he went to King Kai, and came back over 9000 (20x improvement).

Tien was around 2000 when he went to King Kai, and was seen as being over 90,000 (40x improvement). You're using funny math to say it was 450x.

Basically, they just let Tien and Yamcha reach a level that Goku (and Vegeta) had already passed, which isn't that crazy when you consider that right before they died they were tossing around Raditz-level opponents that were previously impossible by Goku/Piccolo standards.

... You're not accounting for the time difference.

Goku trained for 3 months.

Tien wasn't even there a week.

Do I need to spell it out for you? -_-

jaxword

Yes, you need to spell out the magical power levels in filler in an abridged comedy version of a fantasy story that was literally made up as it was being written. No one else has ever done this on the entire internet, so this will be VERY enlightening.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yes, you need to spell out the magical power levels in filler in an abridged comedy version of a fantasy story that was literally made up as it was being written. No one else has ever done this on the entire internet, so this will be VERY enlightening.

Stop being rhetorical, it's not helping!

Cheerilee

Goku wasted a bunch of time on Snake Way, and then the show skipped over the part where he learned techniques. Does holding your arms in the air until you learn to feel the universe give you a fighting power boost equal to nonstop sparring with Tien/Yamcha?

Also, you're assuming the Z fighters would keep improving, while they might have hit a wall around the time the Ginyu arrived.

It does seem cheap to me to have the Z fighters reach that level so quickly, but it doesn't seem cheaper than having Goku and Piccolo combined getting completely owned by this mighty Saiyan (by which I mean Raditz, and them only surviving due to a fluke weakness), only to have Yamcha tossing that level of opponent around three months later as if it were nothing (and then getting himself killed due to a fluke suicide attack).

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ah, the joy of power level inflation.

Seriously, I still can't believe you guys are having this kind of a conversation.

Look, I know you all have this unnatural nostalgia towards the show. I do too. But you still have to accept that the show was really terrible in a lot of ways. The power level madness is one of those things. Remember how the nearly useless Tien somehow was able to continually pound Cell into the ground by yelling with his hand in a triangle? Remember how Trunks and Goten became Super Saiyan like it was nothing?

Remember that stupid plot device where a Saiyan becomes stronger every time they nearly die? And yet nobody tries to take advantage of that? Except for Vegeta, that one single time?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Seriously, I still can't believe you guys are having this kind of a conversation.

Look, I know you all have this unnatural nostalgia towards the show. I do too. But you still have to accept that the show was really terrible in a lot of ways. The power level madness is one of those things. Remember how the nearly useless Tien somehow was able to continually pound Cell into the ground by yelling with his hand in a triangle? Remember how Trunks and Goten became Super Saiyan like it was nothing?

Dragon Ball in general is very nostalgia fueled. I won't deny that it set a major standard for all Shonen manga and anime and it does have some pretty badass moments, but there's a lot of things wrong.
Of course, a lot of the inconsistencies in the show can be blamed on the massive amount of filler placed in to avoid overtaking the manga. Like the massive power level issues. One Dragon Ball example I can think of is that after killing King Piccolo, Goku went to train with Kami who somehow sent him back in time to meet Roshi's sensei. Despite dying in order just to seal (an already old) Piccolo, he still managed to beat Goku. Errr what?

jaxword

Yeah. I loved Dragonball Z growing up--and still do, it's my favorite beat 'em up anime of all time. And I enjoy talking and reading about it with geeky pleasure. I love little details and references, and Abridged is totally up my alley.

But let's not pretend; Toriyama was just making stuff up as he went along, and that the anime studio filler is even LESS consistent.

I had power level arguments when I was 10, and now it's a decade later and literally the same things are being said. May as well start arguing about which Buu is the most powerful.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
May as well start arguing about which Buu is the most powerful.

Uh, Super Buu with Gohan absorbed obviously. Mystic Gohan was obviously stronger than SSJ3 Goku and Gotenks but SSJ3 Goku held his own against Kid Buu for a long time.

OMG I think I fell into the trap.

Just watched episode 29. It was a lot funnier than episode 28!

I'm sad the Krillin Owned counter didn't hit infinity or just blow up along with Krillin

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Best line in episode 29:

"Ha! Nice try jackass! Next time give it your A game."

BHZ Mayor

Remember that stupid plot device where a Saiyan becomes stronger every time they nearly die? And yet nobody tries to take advantage of that? Except for Vegeta, that one single time?

Not to mention how Future Trunks pretty much did this for half his life against the androids and somehow still couldn't become strong enough to beat them until after the Cell saga.

I had this thought while I was peeking at the "definitive" DBZ thread on the ot the other day. It's nuts how DBZ Abridged really is the best way to watch the series. It's pretty unprecedented that a fan dub could bring that level of additional value to an already enjoyable series.

"It's time to get in there and throw down." "Really, Krillin?" "HAHA FUCK NO"

Top Bottom