• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
When it comes to generic nouns, you definitely need a pretty good reason to leave something untranslated. Not that it's out of the question, because English is a promiscuous language to begin with, but when there's already a word that works perfectly fine you should really just use that word. Proper nouns are a different subject.
Yes, but whenever this thread gets bumped I mostly assumed rightly that there was a new episode. You know? Now, it's SSJ this and kaoken that and kioken this. :p (I don't know any of the phrases.)

AniHawk

I just made that connection the other day.

And yes, this series jumps dramatically once they hit Namek. Go back and watch the first 5 or so episodes. For every good joke there's at least one cringer. Episode... I want to say 3 or 4... is probably the only just plain bad episode of DBZA because it relies on that bane of Internet comedy: "'Wacky' voices and repeating shit makes things funny!"

EDIT: Oh and someone says something strange and the response is someone else saying "Oooooooooookaaaaaaaaaay" like they're confused! that's funny right guys

for me the series is pretty cringeworthy until episode 5. episode 5 doesn't have the editing down just right, or a lot of the background music and sounds that make the series feel richer, but the jokes landed pretty much every time. then it's kinda forgettable until the saiyans show up on earth (which is really just episode 6 and 7).

when it was originally being released, i didn't care for the zarbon stuff, but seeing it all together, i thought it kinda worked despite being a really simplistic joke.

also, loved the callbacks to previous episodes, like goku holding a grudge, 'only the same but on fire!', and the kaioken stuff (i can't believe they got away with the same joke in so many ways). even the more serious stuff works pretty well ('my mother's dead' 'i know').

the frieza saga is my favorite in dbz. the focus on just a handful of characters and it not being 'the super saiyan show starring goku and the super saiyans' made it feel uh, focused. plus, frieza was a pretty good villain to have- he was already established as a greedy, arrogant tyrant, but also being responsible for the death of goku's parents and best friend was another nice touch. he's a little asshole you kinda love to hate.

as awesome as it was to see gohan and everyone take down cell, cell didn't feel like that much of a threat. he just wanted to be like strong and stuff. i don't remember. either way, i think the dbza guys have their work cut out for them moving forward.

Lamel

Banned
Only if you like things that aren't the best.
falcouner's music reminds me of motherbaugh's music on rugrats.

tumblr_m3y1tmn8CS1qiqegzo1_500.gif

AniHawk

to be fair, i like some of falcouner's stuff in a nostalgic way, it just doesn't have the same flavor as the stuff i've heard in dbza (which i'm assuming is the japanese dbz).

still love rock the dragon.

and mothersbaugh didn't start getting bad until rugrats came back from its hiatus, because it was then that someone said he had to put music everywhere and it just started bleeding all over the background. fucking awful.

if you want to see a really awesome show, you should watch all grown up. i guess it's something i enjoy ironically, but i do genuinely look forward to watching it with friends.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
When your planet is in ashes you have my permission to die.

The sun grows his food and kills his enemies, totally worth the skin cancer.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've got a fever
the only prescription is Ikaris
Dragon meat is yummy
and I really want it in my tummy.

EDIT: Also Nail was killing it.

1stStrike

Banned
The Bane line was the best part. I had a few chuckles, but nothing as awesome as Vegeta's stuff (especially the "thwartin' my plans" parts).

KevinCow

Banned
Were the movies done by a completely different studio than the show or something? Because aside from clearly not fitting into the show's canon, they feel completely different in terms of the tone and focus. Also characters' powers seem completely inconsistent with the show. Why was Goku damaged at all by a cave exploding? And why was Gohan riding Icarus instead of flying?

Were the movies done by a completely different studio than the show or something? Because aside from clearly not fitting into the show's canon, they feel completely different in terms of the tone and focus. Also characters' powers seem completely inconsistent with the show. Why was Goku damaged at all by a cave exploding? And why was Gohan riding Icarus instead of flying?

I learned years ago while watching DBZ; it's best just to let go of logic and common sense while watching anything DBZ related, the movies especially. The Icarus thing can be explained though. Gohan didn't want his power level sensed, so he suppressed it, but since he can't fly with his power level suppressed he rode icarus instead.

Takao

Banned

The movies are made up nonsense created by Toei. The TV anime is an adaptation of Toriyama's manga. You see Toei do a lot of weird things with GT as well, since once again, no Toriyama or his editors.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
The Bane line was the best part. I had a few chuckles, but nothing as awesome as Vegeta's stuff (especially the "thwartin' my plans" parts).

Every time I find myself saying "I'm just sayin'," it inevitably turns into me imitating Vegeta, saying "I'm just...Saiyen."

know what I'm Saiyen?

jaxword

The best way to understand the movies is to imagine them as the END of the series AT THAT POINT WHEN THEY WERE MADE. They're "what if?" the series ended at that point, or at least took a different direction where that saga's villain was defeated early.

I.e. Broly takes place before the Cell games, which doesn't really make a lot of sense unless Cell stopped being a threat for some reason, i.e. Vegeta decided to kill his Semi-perfect form. That would explain why they're all happy to be singing Karaoke when a walking person of Mass Destruction is happily killing off Earth's armies.

Or, say, Android 15 and friends. Doesn't really fit with the emergence of Cell. But if 17 and 18 were killed by, say, Krillin, then Gero's computer doing a last-ditch attempt would fit THAT universe.

I generally just accept that the movies are canon with the other movies because you can pretty much copy past them over where the major fights were and the plot would be fairly competent.

KarmaCow

"I feel like we're both missing some context here." That was way funnier than it had any right to be.

And Cooler's voice was so good. I'm always blown away by how good the voices and direction are in these videos.

Cooler's voice was phenomenal. I'm consistently impressed with how much the voice acting has improved over time. Can't wait to see how they tackle Garlic Jr. Saga.

Raxus

I hope they keep Nail for the rest of the series. He adds so much to Piccolo as a character and gives him something more than his 'DODGE!' joke.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
He was riding Icarus to avoid being detected by the scouters. In the full movie Gohan nearly rides Icarus to death to get those senzu beans.

That makes more sense than getting beaten up by Cooler until a dying bird finally reminds Goku that he can transform.

I think my favorite running gag in DBZA is anytime a character is ranting or screaming in the background while something else is talking. I still crack up thinking about Krillin screaming during Vegeta's scene when they first land on Namek.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Yeah, I think they rushed this one. The jokes weren't as good as Slug. Slug has lots of one-liner quotables, this one...not so much.

Hopefully Season 3 is going to pick things up.
I was really impressed that they made Lord Slug as enjoyable as they did. The original movies always seemed to be all over the place.

That makes more sense than getting beaten up by Cooler until a dying bird finally reminds Goku that he can transform.

It's understandable because when it was written and produced, IIRC, they hadn't yet shown in the manga or anime that Super Saiyan was an "unlockable" thing as opposed to something that could only come out when you're angry.

KevinCow

Banned
The best way to understand the movies is to imagine them as the END of the series AT THAT POINT WHEN THEY WERE MADE. They're "what if?" the series ended at that point, or at least took a different direction where that saga's villain was defeated early.

I.e. Broly takes place before the Cell games, which doesn't really make a lot of sense unless Cell stopped being a threat for some reason, i.e. Vegeta decided to kill his Semi-perfect form. That would explain why they're all happy to be singing Karaoke when a walking person of Mass Destruction is happily killing off Earth's armies.

Or, say, Android 15 and friends. Doesn't really fit with the emergence of Cell. But if 17 and 18 were killed by, say, Krillin, then Gero's computer doing a last-ditch attempt would fit THAT universe.

I never really watched past the Frieza saga, so I don't really know what any of this means.

But I get the general idea of what you're saying.

Jaroof

This was amazing...
My favorite parts:
Ohhh no... no no no no! No n-no no no! No no no no!! Nooo!!

and

Not going anywhere for a while?
...Grab a snickers.

I laughed pretty hard at this one.
Great job once again, Team Four Star..

Top Bottom