• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I still can't believe they actually decided that they should continue Bardock's story like... that.

People who haven't followed DBZ in years, get ready for a total mindfuck.

What the hell is this shit?

edit: oh wow just read it. What the shit?

McNum

There was an animated version of the new Bardock story?

Good to see TFS do what they do best with it. That story really needed to be mocked. Mercilessly.

About a year or two ago they released a comic where Bardock got sent back in time by Frieza's Death Ball (what) discovered that the ancient Planet Vegeta/Plant was inhabited by creatures called Plants (what) who invented the healing tank goo (what) and then he fought Frieza's ancestor, the space pirate Chilled (what) and became a Super Saiyan (what) and killed him, but then Chilled before dying told his men to warn his family about a race called "Saiyans" that can turn into "Super Saiyans," meaning that Bardock is responsible for Frieza's fear of Saiyans (what)

Then they made an anime adapation of it

The amount of times you said, just sold how stupid this is. lol
Is this cannon?

Cheerilee

The amount of times you said, just sold how stupid this is. lol
Is this cannon?

I think the basic definition of Dragonball canon says that Toriyama's manga is canon, and that the anime is usually close enough to the manga not to make a difference (although then they recut it as DBZ Kai, saying that a less-drawn-out version was closer to what Toriyama would have intended, so maybe the anime isn't canon anymore), and filler that was made up by the animation team is not canon (not even if Goku and Piccolo were learning to drive).

Episode of Bardock is weird because it was based on a manga that was made by one of Toriyama's top assistants because Toriyama was feeling too old to do it himself.

Maybe that makes it canon, but it's not very good, and there's some wiggle room because it's technically not Toriyama, so maybe that means it's not canon. Although denying it's entry into canon by that technicality might set a bad precedent. Or... would it set an awesome precedent? Maybe we can wait and see.

Takao

Banned
Indeed it is;

5RtXY.jpg

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=COS-4312BL

You may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, I dunno.

Anth0ny

I still can't believe they actually decided that they should continue Bardock's story like... that.

People who haven't followed DBZ in years, get ready for a total mindfuck.

10 year old me would have been shitting bricks regarding some of the stuff they've been doing.

Super Saiyan Bardock? Super Saiyan 3 Trunks, Vegeta, Broli and Gogeta?

All that's left is Super Saiyan 5 Goku.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This can be canon or not canon and have little to no impact on the timeline, so the debate is really moot.

Isn't Bardock going Super Saiyan suppose to be how Frieza learned about Super Saiyans?

Seda

Isn't Bardock going Super Saiyan suppose to be how Frieza learned about Super Saiyans?

That's how this episode makes it out to be. I don't think there was a specific reason why he was scared of Saiyans (and the super saiyan) before, at least in the Funi dub, other than he noticed Saiyans getting stronger and stronger under his rule, which is why he decided to kill the race.

More importantly, since Bardock and all of his offspring became Super Saiyans, does that mean Raditz had the potential to be a SS as well? I'm thinking yes. I mean Goten just sort of fell out of bed one day and transformed.

And what's this I'm hearing about SSJ3 Trunks, Vegeta, and Brolie?

Seda

More importantly, since Bardock and all of his offspring became Super Saiyans, does that mean Raditz had the potential to be a SS as well? I'm thinking yes. I mean Goten just sort of fell out of bed one day and transformed.

I don't know the origins, but I know SS3 Broly and Vegeta where in the Raging Blast games. SS3 Trunks is in some Japanese arcade game.

jman2050

The whole Buu Saga was a borderline parody of the entire series before it. I still don't know even now if that's what Toriyama was going for or not.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It was like a Super Saiyan bargain sale!

"When was it that the transformation to the Legendary Warrior of the Saiyan Race was reduced to a child's plaything?"

It's like they knew exactly how stupid the whole thing was.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The whole Buu Saga was a borderline parody of the entire series before it. I still don't know even now if that's what Toriyama was going for or not.

GokuSuperSaiyanIIINV.png

It's on the other side of that border.

Look at that with the eyes of someone who wasn't 12 when it was coming out. That shit is anime action bullshit to the extreme. It's a joke, the series ended with Cell and Gohan is the new Goku.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110223222160/dragonball/images/7/71/GokuSuperSaiyanIIINV.png[IMG]

It's on the other side of that border.

Look at that with the eyes of someone who wasn't 12 when it was coming out. That shit is anime action bullshit to the extreme. It's a joke, the series ended with Cell and Gohan is the new Goku.[/QUOTE]

Scoff. Myes. *sips wine*

Takao

Banned

It's trading card stuff. The whole Episode of Bardock mini-manga, and special were just in promotion of the trading cards. Some of these transformations are included in the home console games.

VrAsD.png

MFvs3.jpg
KBegt.png

lbJQul.jpg

(Yes, that is Gogeta in the back)

Which certainly ties up the entire series given Dragon Ball started out as a gag manga.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
they're working on season 3

however, they have released two specials:

revenge of cooler abridged
episode of bardock

The Cooler special was great, Goku completely forgets he can transform until a bird dies. I still think Bardock transforming from the sheer stupidity of the plot of his special is the best though.

Cool, are they just slowing down the pace they are making them at or are they starting season 3 with a big episode / multi episode?

There's usually a wait since they have to figure out what scenes they need and how bets to abridge to plot. A lot of work goes into something like this.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
An update was posted last week. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU4l3vdbkdA
New t-shirts along with info about the site (including "Two Saiyans Play").

They also posted a YouTube bulletin implying that Season 3 will begin with Garlic Jr. Hopefully it's done in one extra-long episode, no need to waste jokes on filler.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You know, Garlic Jr really could be done in one (abridged) ep, and that makes me realize just how lame it was.

Levyne

Banned
You know, Garlic Jr really could be done in one (abridged) ep, and that makes me realize just how lame it was.

I remember on rewatch actually liking the little Garlic Jr bit more than I originally did. I'm not going to call it great or even good, but it was a nice to have something other than Super saiyen super saiyen super saiyen goku goku goku

Top Bottom