• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
More bullshit than that was the random boost of power the Namekian gave Porunga during the Buu saga so he could revive more than one person at once.

Pure bullshit.

People give GT shit for playing out like a bad fan-fiction, but I feel the Buu Saga is just as bad in that regard. People only lay off it because "it's canon". Just because something is canon, doesn't excuse it from being shit *points to Metroid Other M and that manga Western audiences never got*

Gohan becomes a superhero!
Goten and Trunks can become Super Saiyans without even trying!
There's a Super Saiyan 3, and Goku can access it!
Goten and Trunks can fuse and eventually become Super Saiyan 3!
Buu is so powerful he can kill everybody on the planet without even trying!
Goku and Vegeta fused is the most powerful thing in the universe!
Porunga can now revive everybody!

BY2K

Membero Americo
Gohan was useless in the Buu saga.

Abridged summed it up pretty well: "GOHAN IS THE STRONGEST IN THE UNIVERSE BUT STILL DOESN'T DO CRAP!"

Pretty much sums up Gohan in the Buu Saga.

Sciz

I was wondering how they were going to handle the filler, and as usual they did it by completely dodging my expectations in beautiful form. Love this show.

People give GT shit for playing out like a bad fan-fiction, but I feel the Buu Saga is just as bad in that regard. People only lay off it because "it's canon". Just because something is canon, doesn't excuse it from being shit *points to Metroid Other M and that manga Western audiences never got*

The entire Buu arc is Toriyama taking the piss out of his own series while making some quiet statements about what real heroism and power are.

Tizoc

This ep. was hilarious XD.
Poor ol' Krillin, did he at least manage to tap dat ass though?
I take it that's the Garlic saga all over and done with then...
...and now I'm starting to get what Pounding a Tuna is a euphism for...

jman2050

I dunno, I don't see a lot of people who try and defend the Buu saga. It wasn't as bad as GT but still.

Fortunately Buu Saga is ripe for so much satire that I can foresee many good episodes if the group gets that far.

That will be something to see when it happens.

They're clearly using the "repressed daddy issue" jokes with Gohan to set up the fight with Cell and it's going to be amazing once we get to the payoff.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Stupid, yes but was thankfully very short.

I thought that was explained by the fact that super saiyanism was genetic?

What's wrong with this?

Yeah, that was dumb.

Vegeta, when he first arrived on Earth was powerful enough to do that. :p

Also, what's so surprising about this?

Yep, definitely bullshit.

Not that I want to come off as a Buu saga apologist, but there was other, far more retarded stuff to complain about. Like what the hell was the deal with Mystic Gohan? Why couldn't he turn SS?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Look, you can't justify Mystic Gohan. At all. It was the absolute worst moment in the whole series. Spend the entire series hyping up Gohan as being a hidden badass, have basically the supreme god of the universe personally bring out his hidden poential, then toss him under a bus.

Why?

Because apparently it's better if Goku kills Buu using a spirit bomb instead.

Veelk

Banned
I'm not trying to justify mystic gohans use in the plot, just clearing up why he didn't go super saiyan.

Anyway, while the arc obviously had its problems, can we agree that vegeto was the best thing ever? Because I fucking loved that guy.

Anth0ny

What the hell?

It's really weird, but it seems like transforming Super Saiyan after becoming "Mystic Gohan" would just put an unnecessary strain on his body, without granting him additional power. Mystic maxed out Gohan's power, no golden hair transformations required.

I wasn't interested in DBZA at first but I watched the whole first two season last week and I loved it. Glad to see season 3 start and it was pretty damn funny.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Originally gathering the balls took a bit of effort, but with RPG progression all that's left is a year gap between allowed wishes.

They went from gathering balls to pounding Chichi's tuna.

Bitch you love it.

Cheerilee

Look, you can't justify Mystic Gohan. At all. It was the absolute worst moment in the whole series. Spend the entire series hyping up Gohan as being a hidden badass, have basically the supreme god of the universe personally bring out his hidden poential, then toss him under a bus.

Why?

Gohan got depowered. He beat Cell with SSJ2 because Goku let him do it (more like made him do it), because Goku wanted to give up the hero business, and he was fine with dumping that responsibility on his kid. But then Gohan went back to living a normal life after Cell.

While fighting Babidi's goons, Vegeta complained with disgust that Gohan was weaker than he was when he fought Cell.

Meanwhile, Goten and Trunks were capable of going SSJ3 while fused, and are an apparent match for whichever stage of Buu that was.

Old Kai apparently brings Gohan back into the fight by unlocking ALL of his power, leaving it all at his easy disposal without the need for transformations, which makes Gohan about equal to Buu after he absorbed SSJ3 Gotenks. Which means that Mystic Gohan's power is ~ 2x SSJ3 Gotenks. But Mystic Gohan lost the fight because Piccolo's mind gave Buu the edge.

SSJ3 Goku arrives with the intent to beat Buu by permanently fusing with Gohan, and Goku's SSJ3 power is about even with Buu, meaning 2x SSJ3 Gotenks, same as Mystic Gohan.

But then Buu's SSJ3 Gotenks power expires, which relieves Goku because he doesn't have to perma-fuse with his son, and lulls Goku into a false sense of security, which Buu exploits to absorb Mystic Gohan. Which sends Goku off to permanently join Vegeta as Vegito (forever doesn't last very long).

Vegito uses his advantage to save his friends from Buu's absorption.

The real throwing Gohan under the bus comes from Gohan not taking part in the next (and final) battle after being rescued, but it's possible that Buu's anti-magic innards undid Old Kai's magical unlocking, returning Gohan to SSJ2. From a story standpoint, I think I'm okay with that, because it says that Gohan is potentially every bit as strong as Goku, but Goku's about to be retired, and now the future belongs to Gohan, and he has room to grow.

It's DB GT that messed the rest of the story up for Gohan.

Why?

Blame the Japanese for that one. They hated that and wanted goku to beat buy not Gohan

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Super Candy and Vegeta's atonement were the only bright spots in the Buu saga.

Actually, fuck it. I liked Saiyaman.

Ditto, I'm ashamed but Gohan in HS was fun. In a really dumb way, but still fun. Him trying to solve his social problems in HS by screaming made me laugh. That portion of the Buu saga is ripe with shit for them to fuck with.

Anth0ny

I never understood the Boo hate. I'm wrapping up the series right now (again) and the Boo saga was fun. Goku vs. Kid Buu was possibly the best fight in the series. Vegeta was awesome the entire way through. Mr. Satan is a legend. It's good all the way through.

Great Saiyaman and Goten/Trunks going SSJ at such a young age might be silly, but by no means is the arc bad.

Dereck

Is it me or did the spirit bomb only work once. Vegeta and Frieza took that shit.
Spirit energy from a nearly desolate planet Namek won't do much.

Spirit energy from a planet filled with life was more than enough for Buu.

Also consider Goku's first Spirit Bomb was only a beta test for Vegeta.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The real throwing Gohan under the bus comes from Gohan not taking part in the next (and final) battle after being rescued, but it's possible that Buu's anti-magic innards undid Old Kai's magical unlocking, returning Gohan to SSJ2. From a story standpoint, I think I'm okay with that, because it says that Gohan is potentially every bit as strong as Goku, but Goku's about to be retired, and now the future belongs to Gohan, and he has room to grow.

Gohan's absence wasn't due to being depowered, it was due to being dead because he was unconscious like the rest of Buu's victims when he blew Earth up. He was only revived when the spirit bomb plan came into place.

Mystic Gohan wouldn't have done much against Kid Buu anyway, SSJ3 Goku just could keep up with him and it's shown in one of the movies that SSJ3 Goku is stronger than Mystic Gohan. (If they are canon, that is.)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

The whole thing of SSJ1 2 and 3 being discrete forms didn't seem to really exist until the Buu saga, either.

When Goku and Vegeta talked about reaching a level beyond that of a SSJ, even when they were in "ascended" forms, and even when gohan "transformed" into SSJ2, it didn't seem like a transformation.

Ascended form was just their muscles bulging out everywhere, and SSJ2 was just gohan being so powerful that his hair stood up on end and the air around him cracked with electricity constantly (which wasn't exactly a new thing to powered up kis, either).

Peff

Gohan's absence wasn't due to being depowered, it was due to being dead because he was unconscious like the rest of Buu's victims when he blew Earth up. He was only revived when the spirit bomb plan came into place.

Mystic Gohan wouldn't have done much against Kid Buu anyway, SSJ3 Goku just could keep up with him and it's shown in one of the movies that SSJ3 Goku is stronger than Mystic Gohan. (If they are canon, that is.)

Mystic Gohan would wipe the floor with SSJ3 Goku and Kid Buu (who is actually one of his weakest forms).

Craziest part about DBZ is that even as strong as the verse seems, it's still nowhere even in the same stratosphere as Marvel and DC when it comes to screwed up power levels, retarded plots, retcons, plot holes, etc.

Seeing someone explain THAT is a sight to behold.

The Buu parts are so convoluted. It was good until Buu came back to life, then it started to get weird.

To be honest the buu power level chart it pretty easy when you think about it.

Fat Buu<Kid Buu<Super Buu<Buff Buu<Super Buu Fused(Pic+trunks+Goten<Pic+Gotanks<Pic+Trunks+Goten+Gohan)

SSJ3 Goku was more powerful than fat buu, about even with Kid Buu, and he stated Buff Buu's power was higher than Super Buu's when he was reverting back to his kid form.

There is also Evil Buu in there somewhere but his power has to between Super Buu and Fat Buu.

Also Goku saving Hercule instead of his own sons was one of the stupidest things ever, full power Gohan would of wiped the floor with Kid Buu. That always bugged the fuck out of me.

Now understanding why Goten and Trunks became SSJ and SSJ2 was the writer pure not giving a shit.

Craziest part about DBZ is that even as strong as the verse seems, it's still nowhere even in the same stratosphere as Marvel and DC when it comes to screwed up power levels, retarded plots, retcons, plot holes, etc.

Seeing someone explain THAT is a sight to behold.
Having more than one writer on book seems to cause to many ideas to clash and contradict.

BatDan

Having more than one writer on book seems to cause to many ideas to clash and contradict.

This is why I prefer major storylines, things tend to be more self-contained in those. Or Elsewords stories.
Indie books are great too.
But yeah, the multiple writers putting in their own ideas tends to fuck with continuity. Especially Spider-Man *shudders*

I did hear that Ken Akumatsu prematurely ended his latest series, Mahou Sensei Negima, because of a planned law that would allow publishers the ownership of manga properties. Like how DC owns Superman and Batman. Meaning someone else could have been writing his work much like American comics. Haven't heard much since that.

GaimeGuy

To be honest the buu power level chart it pretty easy when you think about it.

Fat Buu<Kid Buu<Super Buu<Buff Buu<Super Buu Fused(Pic+trunks+Goten<Pic+Gotanks<Pic+Trunks+Goten+Gohan)

SSJ3 Goku was more powerful than fat buu, about even with Kid Buu, and he stated Buff Buu's power was higher than Super Buu's when he was reverting back to his kid form.

There is also Evil Buu in there somewhere but his power has to between Super Buu and Fat Buu.

Now understanding why Goten and Trunks became SSJ and SSJ2 was the writer pure not giving a shit.

No. Fat Buu / Majin Buu is the first form of buu we see

Good Buu / Mr Buu is the pure good buu that looks exactly like Fat Buu that we see after Evil Buu is expelled and during the fight against Kid Buu. He is weaker than Fat Buu / Majin Buu.

Fat Buu may actually be about as powerful or more powerful than Kid Buu, but because of the good nature of of Dai Kaioshin, he's playful and doesn't really take fighting seriously, even when someone blasts holes in him or blows him into a million pieces. If he took fighting seriously at all, do you really think Vegeta would have gotten one shot in on him, when he held his own against Goku in SSJ3 form?

Kid Buu is completely unhinged, and doesn't even care about blowing himself up along with the planets he destroys. That's why he's more dangerous than Fat Buu, even if he's one of the weaker forms.

Power wise, it goes:

Mr Buu < Evil Buu < SSJ2 Vegeta (I think) < SSJ3 Goku < Majin Buu <= Kid Buu < Super Buu = SSJ3 Gotenks < Buff Buu < Super Buu (Piccolo + Trunks + Goten) < Mystic Gohan < Super Buu (Gotenks + Piccolo) < Super Buu (Gotenks + Piccolo + Gohan) < Vegito.

BatDan

Good Buu / Mr Buu is the pure good buu that looks exactly like Fat Buu that we see after Evil Buu is expelled and during the fight against Kid Buu. He is weaker than Fat Buu / Majin Buu.

Fat Buu may actually be about as powerful or more powerful than Kid Buu, but because of the good nature of of Dai Kaioshin, he's playful and doesn't really take fighting seriously, even when someone blasts holes in him or blows him into a million pieces. If he took fighting seriously at all, do you really think Vegeta would have gotten one shot in on him, when he held his own against Goku in SSJ3 form?

Kid Buu is completely unhinged, and doesn't even care about blowing himself up along with the planets he destroys. That's why he's more dangerous than Fat Buu, even if he's one of the weaker forms.

Power wise, it goes:

Mr Buu < Evil Buu < SSJ2 Vegeta (I think) < SSJ3 Goku < Majin Buu <= Kid Buu < Super Buu = SSJ3 Gotenks < Buff Buu < Super Buu (Piccolo + Trunks + Goten) < Mystic Gohan < Super Buu (Gotenks + Piccolo) < Super Buu (Gotenks + Piccolo + Gohan) < Vegito.

I think I'll let TFS Vegeta handle this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PtbiUbhmaE

In the fight against Raditz, Piccolo's power level increases when he uses a powerful attack, same with Gohan. But later on, power levels are seemingly used to measure the strength someone has when they're scanned. Or maybe everyone but Frieza and the Z Fighters are morons who don't realize power levels can increase, and that's why they always trust their stupid scouters.

Lamel

Banned

Power wise, it goes:

See but how is SSJ3 Gotenks stronger than SSJ3 goku? How the fuck did those twerps manage to turn SSJ3?!?!?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
In the fight against Raditz, Piccolo's power level increases when he uses a powerful attack, same with Gohan. But later on, power levels are seemingly used to measure the strength someone has when they're scanned. Or maybe everyone but Frieza and the Z Fighters are morons who don't realize power levels can increase, and that's why they always trust their stupid scouters.
Thats because Earth developed the ability to sense Ki. So naturally given how there's some new over-powered big bad every month, the Z warriors had to learn ways to hide themselves and blend in; thus the ability to control your powerlevel according to what the situation merited.

Freiza's empire never discovered this ability, so everybody just assumed that the scouter always read a persons full potential at that given point in time. Vegeta realized how useful this was to exploit and figured out how to hide his power on the way to namek.

GaimeGuy

Pandaman: Well, Frieza and Ginyu had the ability to control their powerlevels, as did several of the namekians, but even fighters lke Zarbon, Dodoria, Jeice, Burter, and Recoome didn't have the ability control their power levels (although zarbon could to an extent through his tranformation)

Top Bottom