• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

Zubz

Banned
I'm hoping they find a way to incorporate Dumplin into the series.

I always had a crazy theory that they'd test the waters with animation by editing Nappa into the Cell Games as Mr. Satan's agent. Maybe they could give Dumplin a cameo, too?

zeemumu

I always had a crazy theory that they'd test the waters with animation by editing Nappa into the Cell Games as Mr. Satan's agent. Maybe they could give Dumplin a cameo, too?

I wonder if they'll do that movie where Nappa actually came back and was promptly killed by Vegeta.

Zubz

Banned
Nappa's not dead though. He's in Hollywood.

I still found that a weird choice at the time, since they had to redraw him in a suit for both of his cameos after that. It gives me hope that he actually will be Mr. Satan's agents during the Cell games, though!

I mean, they already said they had the Cell games drafted by the time they showed that scene, and movie producer seemed like a weird career choice when they could've picked literally anything else that'd keep Nappa far away from the Z Fighters. Animating him in as a regular character is a pipedream of mine, but they can have him take a call from Nappa before a fight, or Vegeta commenting on Nappa's choice of clients, or something. It's all I'd need.

Azure J

I don't know how I keep missing this thread, especially with some of the discussion on Abridged's direction when new episodes drop. After marathoning the older episodes through where we are currently, it's so crazy seeing how much more has been done with everything versus where they started. Even crazier still is how the series has seemingly moved into the realm of being a "catch all alt dub" as someone mentioned before without going crazy about details or exposition. They way they just slyly slip in some phrase or line in between everything leading to a Easter egg hunt for me is great. I still remember Trunks finding the android/cyborg's names on the design document and going "this is a setup for some big joke right" only to briefly google it and find out that they were actually named prior to their modifications.

Neoxon

and miss out on Krillin finally going Super Human? No. That's pretty much the only reason for even doing that movie.

And Broly's ruined singing voice, of course. I would suggest tenor and opera, but oh well.
I'm actually a tenor with musical theatre & voice acting training. ;-)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't know how I keep missing this thread, especially with some of the discussion on Abridged's direction when new episodes drop. After marathoning the older episodes through where we are currently, it's so crazy seeing how much more has been done with everything versus where they started. Even crazier still is how the series has seemingly moved into the realm of being a "catch all alt dub" as someone mentioned before without going crazy about details or exposition. They way they just slyly slip in some phrase or line in between everything leading to a Easter egg hunt for me is great. I still remember Trunks finding the android/cyborg's names on the design document and going "this is a setup for some big joke right" only to briefly google it and find out that they were actually named prior to their modifications.

The reveal of 17 & 18's true names was actually really recent. Japan re-released the Dragon Ball manga in color (not very good color but that's besides the point). One of the features was a Q&A section where Toriyama revealed their names were Lapis and Lazuli, and that 16 was designed after Gero's dead son.

You have to give the writing team props for the research and for being current. Like that "I was having a Ninja dream, but it ended" line.

Lost it at Vegeta's speech after he got out of the Time Chamber: "
Blah blah blah blah blah blah pride. Blah blah blah Prince of All blah blah blah Super Saiyan blah blah blah.
"

Nordicus

Wow, bravo Takahata101, I honestly thought they'd have to switch VAs for Semi-perfect Cell but I clearly underestimated his range. At times I thought it was Antfish

Was there something up with Gohan's voice? The first few times he talks he sound much lower and then the high pitch kind of kicks back in. I thought it was a different person for just a minute.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good stuff as usual.
And yeah, Taka's vocal range is incredible. I wouldn't be surprised if gets a lot more professional roles (I have heard Lani is getting them)

Was there something up with Gohan's voice? The first few times he talks he sound much lower and then the high pitch kind of kicks back in. I thought it was a different person for just a minute.

I wonder if they're trying to emulate that he's going through puberty. He is around that age.

Toxi

Banned
I'm already missing the Imperfect Cell voice, but I'll eventually get used to the newer voices.

Tien's moment was just as awesome as it should have been.

Luigi87

Great episode as per usual. Tien's shining moment in the original series was done fantastically here, lol

Goku was such an unintentional ass throughout, lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I wonder if they're trying to emulate that he's going through puberty. He is around that age.

I always felt like his current voice wasn't right for post-hyperbolic time chamber Gohan. I kinda hope there's a ball dropping joke in there once he hits super saiyan.

Goku's line is actually pretty funny when you consider that, if he didn't have any kind of boost after recovering from the illness (and he shouldn't have), then at this particular point he's actually weaker than Trunks, Vegeta, Cell, Android 16, Android 18, and Piccolo.

I'm reminded how Toriyama did Trunks and Vegeta dirty by having Goku achieve their ascended forms super casually, just so Goku could explain how useless they were.

Top Bottom