• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

Turin

Banned
Have to be honest. That was a little bit underwhelming.

Edit:

KaizerNeko isn't involved in the writing so that might be why.

Zubz

Banned

The Moustache music video is out. Xander Mobius (Smash 4's announcer), Benjamin Diskin (Eddie Brock/Venom on The Spectacular Spider-Man), & Jon St. John (Duke Nukem) made special appearances in the music video.

I don't want to sound cynical, and maybe it's because I was never into any of the Final Fantasy's, but neither of these do anything for me. They're definitely well done, but neither of them were really that funny, in my opinion.

Oh well. I'm still excited to see where TFS' non-DBZ content takes them!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jeanlucbouchard/what-does-the-scouter-say#.itG1xpQba2
4. It can be smart to admire the very people who mock your work, such as Team Four Star and their Dragon Ball Z Abridged parodies.

CS: I absolutely know that we owe something to Team Four Star. For some of the actors, it can be a little frustrating to talk about Team Four Star after pouring blood, sweat, and tears into these roles, but there’s no denying that Team Four Star was instrumental in keeping Dragon Ball Z fresh and relevant when there really wasn’t new material coming out. And I was one of the people realizing that they were actually very positive toward the series and especially toward people who love Dragon Ball Z.

I know those guys personally, and I know that they do everything they do out of genuine love and respect for the series and for the people who make it. And their sincerest form of flattery is the amazing imitation of our voices they pull off. The first time I heard their Piccolo, my jaw dropped. It is REMARKABLY close to my voice.

I think a majority of us who work on Dragon Ball Z think that the Team Four Star guys have been a really positive influence on the series, and I’m so happy with the creative work they put out.[

Neoxon

Christopher Sabat & the guys at FUNimation have the right idea. TeamFourStar basically kept my love of the Dragon Ball universe alive until Akira Toriyama & Toei Animation brought us new stuff (*glares at the people who manage Attack on Titan in Japan*). I'm glad the official crew openly supports TFS. Though the fact that Christopher Sabat did some voice work on Hellsing Ultimate Abridged, & the fact that FUNimation actually have some of the TFS guys on their payroll, says a lot. I'm just glad that FUNimation openly supports TeamFourStar.

Shy

Christopher Sabat & the guys at FUNimation have the right idea. TeamFourStar basically kept my love of the Dragon Ball universe alive until Akira Toriyama & Toei Animation brought us new stuff (*glares at the people who manage Attack on Titan in Japan*). I'm glad the official crew openly supports TFS. Though the fact that Christopher Sabat did some voice work on Hellsing Ultimate Abridged, & the fact that FUNimation actually have some of the TFS guys on their payroll, says a lot. I'm just glad that FUNimation openly supports TeamFourStar.
He also did a Voice in the legend of Bardock.

Stuart444

So...

FFVIIMA Ep 1

and

FFVIIMA Ep 2

are up on the TFS website. just about to watch the second one but I found the first one kinda funny. Especially near the end, explains why no matter what, the place always explodes at the end even if there is LOTS of time left on the timer lol.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Haven't watched the second one but I didn't care much for the first. All the jokes felt really... obvious.

Turin

Banned
Taka =/= Kaizer as a writer. Not feelin some of voices for the characters either.

Still, I might keep up with it anyway. Or not. I don't know.

Edit: Finished episode 2. Nope. Not doing it. We're done here.

totowhoa

Banned
Didn't care for it but I'll give it 5-8 eps. It took DBZA about as many to find its groove. There were a few good jokes across those 15 minutes. Barret sounded better in the second too.

The gaaarbage hand drawn art isn't helping anything, that's for sure.

Neoxon

Antfish also helped with writing FFVII Abridged. Seeing as I'm a fan of his work with Jojo Abridged, I'm sure that the show will get better as time goes on (though I did enjoy the first two episodes).

Turin

Banned
Cloud's characterization really aint working for me. He's like some schmuck out of a 90's sitcom.

Tifa and Barret were okay.

Neoxon

Cloud's characterization really aint working for me. He's like some shmuck out of a 90's sitcom.

Tifa and Barret were okay.
That's because Tifa's voiced by Peacock. Hopefully Sarah Anne Williams also does stuff for DBZA (her as Videl would be awesome).

Conan-san

Yeah, this is on the happy side of "cautiouly optimistic" IMHO. There's some really good moments and hopefully it'll get in a groove.

Tifa needs some work, though. Too much of an arsehole and I really hope "SOLIDER Recruit goes MIA - Does anyone care?" doesn't hint at a major change in script there.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
You know a thought just occurred to me. Not to be cynical or anything, but does anyone else think that TFS is intentionally taking long periods of time to make episodes? Think about it. TFS exists as long as Dragonball exists. Once they reach the end of the Buu saga, it's all over.

I know, I know. Part of it is cause it really does take a while to make, what with getting all the actors together and editing and everything and etc. And also, when DBZ runs out they can focus on other animes. But given their less than stellar efforts on things like Attack on Titan and this FFVII thing, well....it would seem like their 15 mins of fame would be over.

Cromat

They put a ton of effort into this show. Someone who didn't know better would think that this was actually Dragon Ball Z, because the production values, animation, voice acting and writing is superb. I'm not surprised at all that it takes several months to make each episode, and I highly doubt they will continue to the Buu saga unless there is a massive fan campaign (and funding) for them to do so. Even the end of the Cell saga is still very far off.

ReiGun

They've been doing this show for years now. They're all getting older, and I would not blame them at all if they want to move on to other things. Especially as I'm sure more opportunities for paid voice work are arising.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I searched "TeamFourStar Buu" and first result was a Reddit AMA with Lanipator. He said they want to at least get to Buu for all the stuff they can parody, but other events may have them end at the Cell Saga.

This AMA was conducted two years ago so things might have changed. I imagine with a third Abridged Series in the works (FFVII) they have no plans to stop. That and Hellsing will end in 2019.

Neoxon

I searched "TeamFourStar Buu" and first result was a Reddit AMA with Lanipator. He said they want to at least get to Buu for all the stuff they can parody, but other events may have them end at the Cell Saga.

This AMA was conducted two years ago so things might have changed. I imagine with a third Abridged Series in the works (FFVII) they have no plans to stop. That and Hellsing will end in 2019.
Exactly. They'll probably have time to finish the Buu Saga in the amount of time it takes to do all of Hellsing Ultimate Abridged & the FFVII Machinabridged series.

Cromat

Problem is by the Buu saga the show is pretty much a parody of itself anyway. It's gonna be much harder to write for than the Namek saga in my opinion (where they can do stuff like this because the tone is so serious).

Zubz

Banned

I know that they may just rush in the remaining Alucard-less episodes this year, but you're probably right. I mean, it sucks that the series is going to take a literal decade, but the whole idea of Hellsing is that it's TFS' Halloween Special. Plus, since DBZ's not wrapping up for a little while longer (Even if we do end with Cell) and if they're already starting a 3rd series, it's looking less and less likely that they'll spend extra time to give us several episodes to push us towards
the Walter fight

Speaking of which...

They spent like... 3 minutes of a rape joke...

I was willing to watch it despite not caring about Final Fantasy, and was even willing to give it a shot after the tepid trailer but... Seriously? I was planning on checking FFVII Abridged tonight, but I might just shotgun some more Bojack Horseman while I'm making/having dinner instead.

Cheerilee

You know a thought just occurred to me. Not to be cynical or anything, but does anyone else think that TFS is intentionally taking long periods of time to make episodes? Think about it. TFS exists as long as Dragonball exists. Once they reach the end of the Buu saga, it's all over.

I know, I know. Part of it is cause it really does take a while to make, what with getting all the actors together and editing and everything and etc. And also, when DBZ runs out they can focus on other animes. But given their less than stellar efforts on things like Attack on Titan and this FFVII thing, well....it would seem like their 15 mins of fame would be over.

DBZ Abridged takes a long time because Kaiserneko (co-writer on DBZ Abridged) insists on doing all of the editing by himself, because he wants to make sure it gets done right and doesn't trust anyone else to handle the editing.

Everyone else at Team Four Star does other things (like voice actors making "let's play" videos) because they're waiting around with nothing to do.

Takahata101 (co-writer on DBZ Abridged, and the voice of Nappa) made this FFVII Abridged thing without Kaiserneko's help. It suggests that Kaiser is a better writer than Taka, or that maybe they work well off each other.

If/when DBZ Abridged finishes, things will have to change, but they could easily change for the better.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Uh, not really. They could easily abridge the original Dragon Ball.

Top Bottom