• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stealth Fox

SephCast said:
I made you an avatar, but I can't do transparency.

3BqNP.png

I didn't know you hated Rose enough to call him a shithead.

J2 Cool

Jeff-DSA said:
Boozer is a puddy. That's all there is to it. Stop trying to figure out what is wrong with him...he's just broken.

There's some real lack of confidence or something with him, that he tries to hide with overconfidence. Even the yells sound like compensating for every foul or mistake he makes. There's just something real weird about him, I don't know. Physically, if he was a hustle player he should be well into 20/10 categories, probably 25/10 in the playoffs.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
SamuraiX- said:
So Dwight just admitted the reason he blocks all his shots out of bounds is because it's for the fans.

In the book Scorecasting (great book), they talk about the value of blocks, meaning that some NBA shotblockers are better than others when it comes to the quality of blocks. The researchers assigned values to the blocks (e.g., 1 for a block to yourself, 0.5 for a block that goes out of bounds to the other team, etc). It ended up that Dwight was one of the "worst" shotblockers when it comes to value (with Duncan often near the top).

I had a lot of issues with their argument (e.g., doesn't take into account the value fo intimidation, altered shots, etc, which they readily admit), but I thought it was interesting. Some of the worst shot blockers by value including Dwight, Dampier, and Dalembert.

The Stealth Fox

commish said:
In the book Scorecasting (great book), they talk about the value of blocks, meaning that some NBA shotblockers are better than others when it comes to the quality of blocks. The researchers assigned values to the blocks (e.g., 1 for a block to yourself, 0.5 for a block that goes out of bounds to the other team, etc). It ended up that Dwight was one of the "worst" shotblockers when it comes to value (with Duncan often near the top).

I had a lot of issues with their argument (e.g., doesn't take into account the value fo intimidation, altered shots, etc, which they readily admit), but I thought it was interesting. Some of the worst shot blockers by value including Dwight, Dampier, and Dalembert.

Where was LeBron in the list?

The Stealth Fox

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
ESPN has him over Russell.

I didn't ask what ESPN thought. I'm actually trying to have a serious discussion here, because that scoring system seems interesting.

Also, I'm curious about how they value Mutombo or Olajuwon's blocks.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
commish said:

I'm gonna check that out. I need a good non-fiction read. Need to take a break from ASoIF.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
dIEHARD said:
A "monster" block that goes out of bounds has some unmeasurable side effects, pumps up the crowd, demoralizing.. ect.

Right, I thought the same thing, and there's no way to account for that.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
commish said:
Right, I thought the same thing, and there's no way to account for that.

I guess you can trend the next 4-5 posessions following the "monster" block to see if it did anything vs. the norm. I wish that type of thing was my job.

The Stealth Fox

Don't get me wrong, if a PG is getting an excessively high amount of assists, that CAN indicate something about court vision and quality of the player, especially if the player isn't known for turning the ball over.

If Nash/CP3 get 20 assists in a game on occasion, that's amazing, and just vouches for their exceptional play. But it's only useful when the stat is excessively high.

But the fact that scoring guards with poor court vision can still land 8 APG really shows how overrated of a stat it is.

Jeff-DSA

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
The other Celtics tried to save it and got credited for the turnover.

Seriously? That's ridiculous.

Also, I still wonder how that game in OKC would have played out if Perk was called for the basket interference. Home teams got some ridiculous breaks this past weekend.

The Stealth Fox

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
icwutudidther

My post is an assault on all undersized shooting guards (also known as scoring pgs) that everyone pretty much drafts now.

Since you get mad when anyone slights your boy, I'd say Rose is an average passer but he's still mainly a scorer.

The rules favor scoring guards and speed, because being a free-throw generator does wonders for a team.

The Stealth Fox said:
My post is an assault on all undersized shooting guards (also known as scoring pgs) that everyone pretty much drafts now.

Since you get mad when anyone slights your boy, I'd say Rose is an average passer but he's still mainly a scorer.

Not mad but it hurts my brain a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom