• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord real open beta is live

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I wonder if they're really going to launch this next month or subject it to a long delay.

Its well and truly fucked.
Anyone remember Hyenas that pulled these kind of numbers in their beta?

Real Housewives No GIF by Robert E Blackmon

fallingdove

How much do from soft games take to make? We don't need 150 million GTA games every year. In fact we don't need GTA or call of duty in this industry at all.
Some estimates were that Elden Ring cost as much as $200M to make. I imagine games like Sekiro and Armored Core cost less but From is an anomaly. Most games with big-ish budget graphics are approaching $100M in development costs; hence the alternative business models developers are exploring to try and make up shortfalls.

T-0800

Much to my surprise I'm loving this. I've settled on playing as Teo who I think is a great character for new players who don't know who to pick. Have had some really fantastic games today. That said I don't think I can buy it as I'm worried it won't find an audience. If it had a campaign I'd be all over it.

Just played till LVL 5. The game concept is surprisingly good: It has a core understanding of momentum in these games going from one killstreak to another. The battle is quick and dirty, and you'll find yourself respawning on and on. This encourages you to try different characters to try to change the flow of the game. Guns are snappy to shoot and the dodge movement is a welcome addition to the moment to moment gunplay.

However, there is an equal amount of design concerns here that just doesn't make sense. While the forward momentum, double jump feels great, there's a limited amount of verticality in this game. Likewise, horizontal movement is rigid and locked like most modern shooter games. It results in a really bad combat flow with very limited exit strategy once you get face to face. And the weapons...it feels like they were trying to go the rock/paper/scissors strategy but I don't see it. Their design is horribly imbalanced, it's clear the assault rifle and sniper rifle is the favoured choice since there's no real benefit to being a heavy or the character with rocket launcher - they take too long to kill a character and their reload speed is equally as bad.

Then there's the issue of heavy characters being a large target. Sure they have shields and higher HP, but because the horizontal movement is sluggish, you can leap over them and shoot them from behind. It's literally the worst characters to choose from.

Then there's also the maps.... Is this counterstrike? Why are they so small and symmetrical, which makes the levels boring and uninspiring, turning everything into a de_dust2 scenario.

I'd rather they use the Doom/Quake model where you can have more horizontal combat as well as vertical and do away with ADS(Aim Down Sights) give large spaces and more vertically. Change the damage output of weapons like (the rocket launcher) that not only needs to lock in target but barely does any damage.

It is clear this game is designed around focus testing rather playtesting. The constant numbers and stats you are trying to complete in every match. Eye catching completion bars and reward skins to encourage "max" out completionists. It's like the reward system defeats the purpose of the core game system of" unspecializing". But no, if you do that, your character won't get that magical XP to unlock new skins.

While it does result in a solid game, the gimmick will wear off once the users get all the unlockables but if they don't fix the gameplay issues, I don't think it's gonna last very long.

Shame.. the lore just feels like something that should've been a borderlands-type game instead.

Much to my surprise I'm loving this. I've settled on playing as Teo who I think is a great character for new players who don't know who to pick. Have had some really fantastic games today. That said I don't think I can buy it as I'm worried it won't find an audience. If it had a campaign I'd be all over it.

Yeah, this. And the beta already feels borderline unplayable at times due to players leaving, can’t imagine that getting better when the player pool narrows even further. Also hard to imagine them putting leave penalties into a game that few want to play in the first place.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just played till LVL 5. The game concept is surprisingly good: It has a core understanding of momentum in these games going from one killstreak to another. The battle is quick and dirty, and you'll find yourself respawning on and on. This encourages you to try different characters to try to change the flow of the game. Guns are snappy to shoot and the dodge movement is a welcome addition to the moment to moment gunplay.

However, there is an equal amount of design concerns here that just doesn't make sense. While the forward momentum, double jump feels great, there's a limited amount of verticality in this game. Likewise, horizontal movement is rigid and locked like most modern shooter games. It results in a really bad combat flow with very limited exit strategy once you get face to face. And the weapons...it feels like they were trying to go the rock/paper/scissors strategy but I don't see it. Their design is horribly imbalanced, it's clear the assault rifle and sniper rifle is the favoured choice since there's no real benefit to being a heavy or the character with rocket launcher - they take too long to kill a character and their reload speed is equally as bad.

Then there's the issue of heavy characters being a large target. Sure they have shields and higher HP, but because the horizontal movement is sluggish, you can leap over them and shoot them from behind. It's literally the worst characters to choose from.

Then there's also the maps.... Is this counterstrike? Why are they so small and symmetrical, which makes the levels boring and uninspiring, turning everything into a de_dust2 scenario.

I'd rather they use the Doom/Quake model where you can have more horizontal combat as well as vertical and do away with ADS(Aim Down Sights) give large spaces and more vertically. Change the damage output of weapons like (the rocket launcher) that not only needs to lock in target but barely does any damage.

It is clear this game is designed around focus testing rather playtesting. The constant numbers and stats you are trying to complete in every match. Eye catching completion bars and reward skins to encourage "max" out completionists. It's like the reward system defeats the purpose of the core game system of" unspecializing". But no, if you do that, your character won't get that magical XP to unlock new skins.

While it does result in a solid game, the gimmick will wear off once the users get all the unlockables but if they don't fix the gameplay issues, I don't think it's gonna last very long.

Shame.. the lore just feels like something that should've been a borderlands-type game instead.
So even the gatling gun fat chick cant deal weapon damage?

Every shooter that has machine guns or uber gatling guns should be able to rip apart enemies at short/medium range, with decent effectiveness at longer range (powerful spray and pray, but sheer number of bullets unleashed compensates).

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Very much enjoying the desperate social media posts from shills, PR people and bots trying to push this garbage on an audience that doesn’t want it. The usage of ‘cool’ gaming phrases is some proper Steve Buscemi holding a skateboard stuff.

“Found my main!”
”This slaps!”
“Game is sick!”
“So clutch!”

Oh God Reaction GIF

Fess

Very much enjoying the desperate social media posts from shills, PR people and bots trying to push this garbage on an audience that doesn’t want it. The usage of ‘cool’ gaming phrases is some proper Steve Buscemi holding a skateboard stuff.

“Found my main!”
”This slaps!”
“Game is sick!”
“So clutch!”

Oh God Reaction GIF
I’ve seen gaming media outlets push it, expect 9+ review scores.

Killjoy-NL

Fuck Sony, could have given us Socom, Resistance or Killzone but we got this dog shit instead. Highly concerning for their future library.
They have no studio for Socom though.

And there was a rumor about a Killzone mp-only titles
in the works (Killzone: Breach)

Last edited:

Roufianos

Just got £375 for my Ps5 on eBay. Which joins the £320 I got for my Series X.

Given the way the industry is going at the moment, that feels like two very good deals.
Been thinking of doing the same with Series X to be honest and putting the money towards a gaming PC. Even Game Pass will be cheaper. I'm still a sucker for Sony single player games so probably will keep buying their platforms until they do day one PC.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Just got £375 for my Ps5 on eBay. Which joins the £320 I got for my Series X.

Given the way the industry is going at the moment, that feels like two very good deals.
I’d do the same except my kids use it for Astro’s Playroom and Hogwarts.

Easily the worst and most pointless console generation ever, especially if you own a decent PC. Last game I bought on PlayStation was Final Fantasy XVI and it sucked.

FunkMiller

Been thinking of doing the same with Series X to be honest and putting the money towards a gaming PC. Even Game Pass will be cheaper. I'm still a sucker for Sony single player games so probably will keep buying their platforms until they do day one PC.

I wouldn't have sold my Ps5 if there was any indication that there was a new exclusive game coming out that I was interested in playing. There isn't. I may buy a Pro at some point if a game comes along that deserves the purchase, but frankly not holding my breath.

Xbox is utterly pointless by every conceivable measure if you have a competent gaming PC. I have a 4090 laptop, so zero point in me having one. This is the first generation for me where PC gaming is clearly the best option.

Last edited:

Every shooter that has machine guns or uber gatling guns should be able to rip apart enemies at short/medium range, with decent effectiveness at longer range (powerful spray and pray, but sheer number of bullets unleashed compensates).
Maybe I just suck using them but when I encounter them alone, I have no problem trying to take them out.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I hope Sony has an incredible 2 to 3 years lined up because sheesh.

I think spider man 2 is the only game I couldn't have played on my ps4 pro or pc. That's bobbins.

And this game is completely lacking of any kind of originality or design chops that you expect from a Sony studio.

Well, Astro bot will be brilliant but what a generation.

T-0800

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because I'm having a blast with this. I'm finding the combat incredibly satisfying. I see this game as a failure of marketing rather than execution and unfortunately people have made up their minds. Find a character you like and stick with it is my advice.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because I'm having a blast with this. I'm finding the combat incredibly satisfying. I see this game as a failure of marketing rather than execution and unfortunately people have made up their minds. Find a character you like and stick with it is my advice.
Well, you can only do that for certain modes.

Killjoy-NL

Well, you can only do that for certain modes.
You can do that for all modes.

The issue is that most people dont understand the crew-system.

If you have 3 variants of your favorite freerunner, you can put him/her in your crew 9x, so even with the no-respawn mode you can still pick your favorite freerunner every single round (7 rounds max, as it's first to 4 wins iirc).

Last edited:

Kikorin

Anyone with a working brain could have seen anything about this game from a mile and said it would have been a huge failure. I can't understand how Sony or the studio making it wanted to waste money on this.

She deals decent damage and absorbs a lot, but I feel like my movement options with IT-Z often makes it a breeze to kill the lumbering characters. But I also feel like they did some rebalancing between the betas, as I don’t feel as vulnerable anymore.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
My god can it be an even bigger flop than Concord? I guess we'll see. With these 2 garbage games sony will lose a bunch of money. I say good
Man it’s like we are experiencing a “lost generation” of games/movies/tv. Just this endless stream of super expensive, long delayed, DEI-infested, design-by-committee modern entertainment slop. So many talented people and studios squandering their efforts making these bombs.

I feel like the studio closures + layoffs are just getting started. This shit isn’t sustainable.

What do you mean? I pick the same character (Teo) every game. I have some backups I can switch to should someone beat me to him but that has only happened once in my last 10 games.
You have to unlock those variants. If you don't have them you are forced to play as other characters.

Shubh_C63

So if Suicide Squad would last 6 months, and Concord honestly seems a better game than SS, how long do we think this will live ?

I say they keep making changes in the game, make it f2p in 3 months, and it lives with a small dedicated crowd.

Top Bottom