• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord real open beta is live

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
...and that's with free beta, shared codes. What happens when it goes retail with full price?
dead wink martindale GIF

nial

I would love to be a fly on the wall of Sony HQ to see their reaction when based Japanese Astro outsells this western dogshit live service slop.
A hit right after a flop? I would be happy with that.
I think they very well know which one has bigger appeal, people like to point out that Concord was the opener of the SoP, but it closed with Astro Bot, which has been marketed quite decently, and that's before the proper marketing time begins. Heck, the game's trailer was pinned on PlayStation America's Twitter account for some days too.
Concord on the other hand, was left forgotten up until now when they needed to promote the beta, and now it will stay forgotten again before it launches.
But honestly? My biggest bet is that LEGO Horizon outsells both, on PS5 ALONE.

Last edited:

Nydius

It's getting to be prime time on a Saturday, what the numbers looking like for what should be it's biggest day?

Not great. They’ll be lucky if it reaches the all-time peak of 2363 again before the beta ends.

Steamcharts numbers at time of this post:
1,422 playing an hour ago
1,535 24-hour peak
2,388 all-time peak

Last edited:

Nydius

I expect to see all you guys that complained about the price in there on day one when they make it free to play

It’s completely free to play right now and no one gives a shit. The price isn’t the only problem this game has, but keep up that optimism! (Edit: And I doubt they’ll ever go truly F2P on PlayStation, they’ll almost certainly keep it behind the PS+ tiered paywall.)

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Not going well then. What a waste of cost and time. Not sure putting it on Xbox would have it fair any better. Maybe move it to a free to play model to try and salvage something?

GHG

Gold Member
Not going well then. What a waste of cost and time. Not sure putting it on Xbox would have it fair any better. Maybe move it to a free to play model to try and salvage something?

Nah, take it off playstation and put it on Xbox.

I want to see Miku, Dench and the chicken guy, etc attempt to pump this hard. I want to see the 10/10's from the fansites. At least then we would get some timeless entertainment from all this, because the game certainly isn't providing it.

Neolombax

Why are you hoping for games to be DOA? You haven’t even seen them, let alone played them, so why wish for failure?
Because people seem to think that if these devs were forced by Sony to make GaaS games, and if it were up to devs, they'd revive older beloved Sony titles and the world would be a better place. While I understand wanting to make your own legacy, the Concord sonewhat pushing DEI messages is limiting its potential. I like the game, but with these numbers for the beta, i dont want to buy into a slowly dying GaaS. I do wonder how many players are on PS5 during the beta.

havoc00

I really don’t think the game is bad ,but the numbers don’t lie, so if you are Sony what do you do at this point?

Nydius

I really don’t think the game is bad ,but the numbers don’t lie, so if you are Sony what do you do at this point?

On PC, pivot to F2P and drop the PSN linking requirement. Leave PSN linking as an option for people who want cross-play/cross-progression.

On PlayStation, not so sure because unless they make it completely F2P without a PS+ requirement, its competitors will always have an edge. So maybe start off by dropping it as a “freebie” on all PS+ tiers, see how that pans out. If it still isn’t moving the needle, go full F2P without PS+ needed to see if they can get a boost.

But even these options feel like slapping a band-aid on an arterial bleed.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
On PC, pivot to F2P and drop the PSN linking requirement. Leave PSN linking as an option for people who want cross-play/cross-progression.

On PlayStation, not so sure because unless they make it completely F2P without a PS+ requirement, its competitors will always have an edge. So maybe start off by dropping it as a “freebie” on all PS+ tiers, see how that pans out. If it still isn’t moving the needle, go full F2P without PS+ needed to see if they can get a boost.

I said it before, but for new unproven GAAS shooters, they should always be F2P now. If it does great, look into maybe charging a price for the sequel, but as the first game in a series, the key is getting a solid sprawling user base that has spiderwebbed from people playing a free download.

Putting a new shooter behind a $40 (or even worse a $70 price) is going to be a hard slog unless it's really a groundbreaking new franchise. Other games can charge a price if it's been around forever and already charged a price for decades (COD).

Not sure what they were expecting or really going for here.

Honestly, the whole GAAS style trend is the worst. Like...you have Fortnite, Warzone, Apex, and arguably Overwatch(which has fallen off, but still).

Outside of those, you are not breaking into the market. Maybe a flash in the pan, but not long term.

You just can't; those games have it locked in and seemingly always will. And you're certainly not going to break into it with a game like this.
lol you say this while one of those gaas games is the best selling game this year. What are we doing here? Yes this game is mid and is going to fail. Sony themselves said they expected some of their gaas games to fail. No one makes 12 gaas titles with the expectation that they will all be hits.

I used to think the crazy doom and gloom on this site after any negative news was just for Xbox but I guess both companies get it around here.

They have no choice it just needs to go free to play. With heavy promotion on the store front they own. That’s the best option to save this game and the longer they take to get there the less likely it works.

clarky

Gold Member
They have no choice it just needs to go free to play. With heavy promotion on the store front they own. That’s the best option to save this game and the longer they take to get there the less likely it works.
Like Pokey said they can go free to play but you still need players to buy shit and considering the aesthetics of this game nobody will.

This is the publicly accessible open beta, not the one locked behind preorders?
Yup.

Last edited:
Top Bottom