• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democrat Debate 7 [CNN] But...the electorate refused to change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makai

I actually think Obama would be getting smacked in this debate. He's so out of practice and he'd be talking really slowly trying to find the right words like he always does in interviews.

pigeon

Banned
So this actually represents a pretty notable break from Obama here -- Obama was an education modernist, pressuring teacher's unions pretty hard for performance-based measures and other actions that would hurt union power in education, and Clinton is going the other way, siding with the unions and saying that the solution is just to pump up the budgets.

I tend to think that Obama is correct but it's definitely a topic that admits of multiple approaches.

Good on Anderson for specifically levering that question out and calling out the distinction between Clinton and Obama, though he didn't specifically say it was a difference.

Gruco

Banned
Bernie again demonstrating his mastery of the issues.

Moderator: This is a question about K-12 education.

Bernie: I support free college tuition!

OMFG.

"would be easier than tearing it down and starting all over again" This would NOT FUCKING HAPPEN.

Yes, maybe wasting political capital on healthcare is not efficient, but you would not tear it down and start over.
The political capital and realistic argument are fair.

Single payer would replace it. There would be no tearing down and starting over.
cmon gaf, let's stay honest here.

That is exactly what would happen. Do you remember 2010 and how horrible the ACA role out was? How many people gave up on the process and the entire program's reputation was hurt to this day? Now imagine rolling out a program literally 20x more complicated, because that's what single payer would be. Even if the phase-in period is years, the first steps are going to be a clusterfuck that would piss off tons of people who currently like their healthcare. That's why adding a public option to the existing framework is a better idea.

boiled goose

good with gravy
He'd waste a ton of political capital then and he wouldn't be able to do it anyway. I don't know if all Democrats would even be on board with it enough to pass even if they had a supermajority. They couldn't even make it work in Vermont and they WANTED it bad.

Yes. that is fair. Hillary could say, yes, I am pro single payer, but I need to focus my energy on something else. Sanders could say the same. The focus questions are fair.

But the "tear it down and start over" is extremely dishonest framing . That was my strong objection.

Come on now. We can do better.

params7

Banned
Bernie is worse than Trump at debates. Clinton is too good at formulation while I feel Bernie is more genuine but just lacks the art of speech skills to get his point across as purposefully and completely as Clinton.

Sanders is essentially the Democratic party's Trump without the racism. Motivating the voters who feel they are ignored and if he doesn't want to get specific on a policy he goes back to his Populist roots and talks about another topic.

Valhelm

contribute something
Because Clinton and Sanders compliment each other so well, I really wish we could be like Rome and have co-presidents. Despite their disagreements, they both have very reasonable answers to our problems. Each of their blind spots are countered by the others strengths.

It would be kind of unfortunate for the first woman president to have to share her position with a man, though.

Honestly the evidence may be anecdotal but 3 of my least favorite teachers have, on separate occasions, actually said out loud to the classes I was in some variant of "I have tenure, I don't have to do shit."

So yeah fuck that.

pigeon

Banned
Hillary missing the easiest opportunity yet to jump back to Flint! THAT WAS A LAY UP

(But seriously, I'm glad she didn't take it this time, most of America is not in Flint.)

zoozilla

I just realized that Hillary is Intel and Bernie is AMD.

I want AMD to do well, and I think good competition makes everyone better, but when it comes to what I actually want to power my PC? Hard to argue with Intel.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Bernie seems to shift to corporations for most answers.

Gruco

Banned
Because Clinton and Sanders compliment each other so well, I really wish we could be like Rome and have co-presidents. Despite their disagreements, they both have very reasonable answers to our problems. Each of their blind spots are countered by the others strengths.

It would be kind of unfortunate for the first woman president to have to share her position with a man, though.

I've seen the distinction described as a choice between a visionary and a tactician. In Obama, we were spoiled and got both.

Gutek

I just realized that Hillary is Intel and Bernie is AMD.

I want AMD to do well, and I think good competition makes everyone better, but when it comes to what I actually want to power my PC? Hard to argue with Intel.

For a moment there I forgot this is a gaming forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom