• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democrat Debate 7 [CNN] But...the electorate refused to change

Status
Not open for further replies.

boiled goose

good with gravy
That is exactly what would happen. Do you remember 2010 and how horrible the ACA role out was? How many people gave up on the process and the entire program's reputation was hurt to this day? Now imagine rolling out a program literally 20x more complicated, because that's what single payer would be. Even if the phase-in period is years, the first steps are going to be a clusterfuck that would piss off tons of people who currently like their healthcare. That's why adding a public option to the existing framework is a better idea.

How to do it and what are the risks of the transition are fair questions.

"tear it down and start over" is dishonest framing.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
If I were to be ONLY getting information via these debates I would think that the ONLY 'plan' Sanders has is taxing the rich. I can't believe how many problems will be resolved if we just did that!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I had the video alt tabbed and that voice took me a back.

Edit: FFS Clinton just come out against it.

So this actually represents a pretty notable break from Obama here -- Obama was an education modernist, pressuring teacher's unions pretty hard for performance-based measures and other actions that would hurt union power in education, and Clinton is going the other way, siding with the unions and saying that the solution is just to pump up the budgets.

Performance-based measures has been a horrible solution. My mom is a teacher so I hear about these things. There's a lot of issues with the school system, but a huge one is bureaucracy. Teachers spend so much time doing paperwork and trying not to get sued or fired over metrics that they can't actually focus on the students.

rtcn63

Because Clinton and Sanders compliment each other so well, I really wish we could be like Rome and have co-presidents. Despite their disagreements, they both have very reasonable answers to our problems. Each of their blind spots are countered by the others strengths.

It would be kind of unfortunate for the first woman president to have to share her position with a man, though.

Is Bernie VP material?

Bronx-Man

Banned
Uncle Lemon's Shack

I said:
891.jpg

If I were to be ONLY getting information via these debates I would think that the ONLY 'plan' Sanders has is taxing the rich. I can't believe how many problems will be resolved if we just did that!

I mean, he also mentioned demilitarizing the police and trying to end institutional racism, but sure.

Bernie is worse than Trump at debates. Clinton is too good at formulation while I feel Bernie is more genuine but just lacks the art of speech skills to get his point across as purposefully and completely as Clinton.

It's a weird situation we've found ourselves in. Bernie would be in trouble against Trump because he has trouble expressing himself correctly in debates, while Hillary will struggle because she looks too calculated and prepared which contributes to her negative perception personality wise.

I've seen the distinction described as a choice between a visionary and a tactician. In Obama, we were spoiled and got both.

Ehhh.. Obama's tactics when he didn't have a Congressional minority were pretty poor. He eventually got to the right place but after years of banging his head against a wall. Like the North in the Civil War.

pigeon

Banned
Big props to Anderson Cooper, by the way, for being the best debate moderator in America. We should make him the Debater General or something.

Actually super surprised that Hillary is coming out against fracking here. I must be privileged. Is fracking officially bad in the Democratic Party? THAT'S WHY GAS IS SO CHEAP GUYS

SaviourMK2

Bernie is worse than Trump at debates. Clinton is too good at formulation while I feel Bernie is more genuine but just lacks the art of speech skills to get his point across as purposefully and completely as Clinton.

Screaming lies doesn't make him a better debater than Sanders

Edit: Fraking got him a 1UP with the audience

boiled goose

good with gravy
These debates are why Hillary supporters should not want Bernie to drop out.

When she does well she shines, and we keep the focus on progressive issues. The more she is vetted now the stronger she will be in the general.

Steel

Banned
I hope people realize that even when we stop using oil for fuel we'll still need it for a shitload of other products. Something like a quarter of all oil produced today isn't used for fuel.

Hillary fixed her voice.

Dropped some cough drops during the break.

Diablos

Yes. that is fair. Hillary could say, yes, I am pro single payer, but I need to focus my energy on something else. Sanders could say the same. The focus questions are fair.

But the "tear it down and start over" is extremely dishonest framing . That was my strong objection.

Come on now. We can do better.
Excuse me but it's totally fair. Tearing down part = epic congressional battle that gets people riled up about the gov't fucking with their health care for the second time in 10 years and this time around Bernie's vision wouldn't even pass. Dems look like huge losers and the GOP runs against it. Republicans ran against the ACA at their peril post 2010 because despite its flaws it is a tangible benefit that is literally saving lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom