• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

belmakor

Thanks for the first Skolas run guys!

Wasn't quite as bad as I thought it was going to be! ♪( ´▽`)

Ooh, lucky. Ends up I did get the elder cipher.
Beginner's luck!

SnakeEyes

Banned
So why was everyone trippen about marks earlier today?
Because it was announced as part of the stream yesterday, that your Crucible and Vanguard marks will automatically convert to Commendations on day 1 of TTK, at something like a 50:1 conversion. So if you've got 3 characters that are full on all Marks, you're looking at 24 Commendations packs total (200 Vanguard, 200 Crucible, x3 characters.)

Even with the Nightfall Rep Buff, it's not all that much.

50 marks = 1 commendation package

One

ONE.
Heh, this.

amar212

Yes, but how much Marks will each (of 24) Commendation Package grant?

Or there is certainty that one Commendation package gives only 1 Legendary mark?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
50 marks = 1 commendation package

One

ONE.

Because it was announced as part of the stream yesterday, that your Crucible and Vanguard marks will automatically convert to Commendations on day 1 of TTK, at something like a 50:1 conversion. So if you've got 3 characters that are full on all Marks, you're looking at 24 Commendations packs total (200 Vanguard, 200 Crucible, x3 characters.)

Even with the Nightfall Rep Buff, it's not all that much.

Heh, this.
No not that part. I know that. Talking about the soft cap for legendary marks. meaning people were saying only specific activities give you marks now that are only once a week so there's still technically a cap on marks

NeOak

No not that part. I know that. Talking about the soft cap for legendary marks. meaning people were saying only specific activities give you marks now that are only once a week so there's still technically a cap on marks

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=13414

PURE BS said:
How can I earn Legendary Marks?
By completing Daily Story Chapters, Weekly Heroic Strikes, and Daily PVP Activities
By dismantling Year Two Legendary items – assuming you don’t have the maximum value of 200 Legendary Marks associated with your player account

Basically, daily/weekly cap.

42k glimmer later
CM5MRaYWgAMHyfc.jpg

ORS, Feeding Frenzy, hand laid stock, Reactive reload

I wanted the OES Sight but i'll take ORS over OAS anyday.

Hate to break it to you but, braced, always braced.

NoLikeThis.gif

I'm LTTP on this one, but that doesn't sound good. Looks like they really want to control the rate at which players advace. Is it really a bad thing for people to grind marks and hoard materials? Maybe I'm just not seeing the big picture. Are they worried about balance in the community?

for those LTTP it seems that Legendary Marks may not be as easy as they currently are to grind

What we know so far is legendary marks can definitely be acquired by doing the following

Daily Story Chapters
Daily PvP Activities
Weekly Heroic Strikes
Vanguard Ursa a list of random heroic strikes that earns you legendary marks and engrams (according to Gameinformer http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...ing-hands-on-impressions.aspx?PostPageIndex=3)
So at the moment it looks like we've lost the ability to grind marks from playing crucible beyond the daily game and playing vanilla or the new marmoset strike playlist

Hopefully its just bad communication on Bungies part but, it wouldn't surprise me if this was to be there gate to progression

ocean

Banned
The wording made it seem like only Daily Heroic Story, Weekly Heroic Strike and Daily PvP activity will pay out Marks. Since these are one per day / per week, it'd suggest that we can no longer grind Marks by just playing a Strike or PvP playlist all day.

This seems to contradict their assurance that "you can only keep 200 now instead of 1,200 like before but there's no weekly cap", because gating Marks behind single-use activities would effectively mean there *is* a cap, and a far less flexible one since efficient grinding would now be contingent on playing specific things every day.

Then there's the fact that the GameInformer guys said the new Strike Playlist would, in fact, pay Legendary Marks so there's a bit of contradiction in all of this.

Another point that isn't clear: the Crucible handler didn't seem to have a Mark / Planetary Material exchange. Coupled with Ghost perks to help actually farm these things on Patrol, I fear the worst. Maybe the Vanguard still has the exchange. Maybe they want to revert on the single best change they've made to the damn game and want us to go back to farming Iron on Mars like this is a AAA FarmVille. To be fair, we didn't get a look at the Vanguard Handler so I hope he still has the exchange. It would be so, so rough to lose the ability to buy materials... don't even wanna imagine it.

Last but not least: whatever Marks you do keep will turn into commendations. Sharding for 250 rep each, a full Mark cap across all characters at TTK launch would mean 24 Commendations, or 6,000 rep once discarded. With a Nightfall bonus, that'd be 7,500 rep (assuming we are strong enough to run NF right away, which I doubt). One faction rank is 2,500 so this is enough rep for 3.

Which means you have a decision of sorts to make. To wait for TTK with 1,200 Marks (200 V + 200 C x 3 characters) so you can grant yourself 3 Faction level ups (1 per character or splurge on your main)... or to spend them all before buying 600 of each Planetary Material in case Bungie is totally insane and won't sell them in the future.

They've given us a ton of info so far, and even then there's a lot of confusion. It goes to show how damn complicated this game is that there's so many rules and systems and lockouts and strange economy decisions.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Oh, seriously?! I hadn't seen this! So the discussion at 31:09 of the stream was misconstrued? Because Tyson says one thing, and then Mark confirms to DeeJ that there's no limit on the number you can earn in a week.

So you won't get marks for the strike playlist or normal pvp activities, just dailes/weekly.

Welp
That's not confirmed, it's what people are worried about. It hasn't been clarified yet.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The wording made it seem like only Daily Heroic Story, Weekly Heroic Strike and Daily PvP activity will pay out Marks. Since these are one per day / per week, it'd suggest that we can no longer grind Marks by just playing a Strike or PvP playlist all day.

This seems to contradict their assurance that "you can only keep 200 now instead of 1,200 like before but there's no weekly cap", because gating Marks behind single-use activities would effectively mean there *is* a cap, and a far less flexible one since efficient grinding would now be contingent on playing specific things every day.

Then there's the fact that the GameInformer guys said the new Strike Playlist would, in fact, pay Legendary Marks so there's a bit of contradiction in all of this.

Another point that isn't clear: the Crucible handler didn't seem to have a Mark / Planetary Material exchange. Coupled with Ghost perks to help actually farm these things on Patrol, I fear the worst. Maybe the Vanguard still has the exchange. Maybe they want to revert on the single best change they've made to the damn game and want us to go back to farming Iron on Mars like this is a AAA FarmVille. To be fair, we didn't get a look at the Vanguard Handler so I hope he still has the exchange. It would be so, so rough to lose the ability to buy materials... don't even wanna imagine it.

Last but not least: whatever Marks you do keep will turn into commendations. Sharding for 250 rep each, a full Mark cap across all characters at TTK launch would mean 24 Commendations, or 6,000 rep once discarded. With a Nightfall bonus, that'd be 7,500 rep (assuming we are strong enough to run NF right away, which I doubt). One faction rank is 2,500 so this is enough rep for 3.

Which means you have a decision of sorts to make. To wait for TTK with 1,200 Marks (200 V + 200 C x 3 characters) so you can grant yourself 3 Faction level ups (1 per character or splurge on your main)... or to spend them all before buying 600 of each Planetary Material in case Bungie is totally insane and won't sell them in the future.

They've given us a ton of info so far, and even then there's a lot of confusion. It goes to show how damn complicated this game is that there's so many rules and systems and lockouts and strange economy decisions.
i gotcha ocean. Thanks for the write up. I was unaware of the change to receiving marks. I know everything else. Thank you

maomaoIYP

Theres still no limit, it will just be a bitch to get them

*Sigh*, introducing no cap to the marks earned per week was rectify the feeling of the game telling us that we've played enough this week and should stop, except that with a soft cap they are totally telling us that we've played enough this week and should stop.
With a 200 max wallet size it is literally 1 step forwards, 2 steps back.

ocean

Banned
Theres still no limit, it will just be a bitch to get them
It is a limit. It may be higher than the cap, but it's a limit nonetheless.

Assume the Daily Heroic pays 25 Marks, the Daily PvP 25 more, and the Weekly Heroic, 50. That's damn generous. If these are indeed the only sources of Marks, you could only gain 400 Marks per Week per Character.

So basically we'd have twice the weekly cap we used to have in this super generous scenario, but with 1/6 the wallet size. And, more frustratingly, accruing Marks would no longer be something you did at your own pace. You can no longer say "ok I'll play PvP all afternoon to get these marks". If you only play weekends? You're screwed.

I'm thinking it's a misunderstanding though. That kind of super inflexible lockout which punishes players who can't play every single day seems to contradict their recent trajectory of actually understanding the player base and making the game less, not more frustrating.

Let's wait for clarifications :)

It is a limit. It may be higher than the cap, but it's a limit nonetheless.

Assume the Daily Heroic pays 25 Marks, the Daily PvP 25 more, and the Weekly Heroic, 50. That's damn generous. If these are indeed the only sources of Marks, you could only gain 400 Marks per Week per Character.

So basically we'd have twice the weekly cap we used to have in this super generous scenario, but with 1/6 the wallet size. And, more frustratingly, accruing Marks would no longer be something you did at your own pace. You can no longer say "ok I'll play PvP all afternoon to get these marks". If you only play weekends? You're screwed.

I'm thinking it's a misunderstanding though. That kind of super inflexible lockout which punishes players who can't play every single day seems to contradict their recent trajectory of actually understanding the player base and making the game less, not more frustrating.

Let's wait for clarifications :)

The bolded is whats annoying me the most about it (if true) As i'm at a good place with the game now, I can just login and do what I fancy.

The thought of logging in and feeling I have to do certain stuff like with the original grind, takes all the enjoyment out of the game for me

ocean

Banned
so if someone just owns the first expansion they'd have to pay $60 to get caught up?
Yeah. Either individually buying the second for US$20 and TTK for US$40 or buying the Legendary edition which includes the base game + every expansion up to and including TTK for US$60. This second option would at least allow you to trade in your current copy of it's physical.

The bolded is whats annoying me the most about it (if true) As i'm at a good place with the game now, I can just login and do what I fancy.

The thought of logging in and feeling I have to do certain stuff like with the original grind, takes all the enjoyment out of the game for me

Here's the thing, they've given us stuff to spend those on besides mats, so as long as we have stuff to spend it on its no issue. Right now I don't even care because I have nothing to spend it on, it's like I do it to do it. I'm stacking mats right now because it seems like a wise thing to do, but otherwise marks are of no value to me.

ocean

Banned

Assuming these daily things are generous enough (lol that 25 example I mentioned was surely too much though), someone like me, who plays this every day, would have *less* of a grind. But it still seems completely obtuse. Someone who plays only once or twice a week would not be able to binge and catch up.

This is why I'm fairly sure it was just sloppy wording. At the end of the day we just gotta wait for more info before raising pitchforks.

ocean

Banned
Here's the thing, they've given us stuff to spend those on besides mats, so as long as we have stuff to spend it on its no issue. Right now I don't even care because I have nothing to spend it on, it's like I do it to do it. I'm stacking mats right now because it seems like a wise thing to do, but otherwise marks are of no value to me.
We'll be needing a ton of them soon though :p

- Each Year 2 version of our current Exotics will be 120 Marks.
- New Monarchy armor had Solar buffs. I'm gonna go on a limb and assume the other factions will have buffs for the other elements. Efficient loadouts would include one of these sets per character.
- We've been spoiled by having vendors sell crap and Crucible/Vanguard Playlists randomly dropping the best gear in HoW. I have a strong feeling they'll flip that and it'll be like TDB where a ton of Vendor weapons are amazing (there was Saterienne Rapier, Against All Odds, LDR 5001, TFWPKY 1969, Badger CCL, 3 Little Words, Secret Handshake, Judgment VI etc). At 150 each, getting guns is expensive as f.

We probably won't feel like we've got all we want for several months, vs. a few weeks, tops, with HoW. Which is very much their intention of course :p

Based on what we know now...

- Should I bother upgrading my Exotics (weapons & armor)?
- Should I bother upgrading VoG/CE stuff (Black Hammers, Fatebringers, etc.)?
- What to do with Crucible / Vanguard marks at this moment (I know I should save up 200/200 right before Sep 15th), but I'm thinking what now? Buy materials? Something else? :/
- My Titan has yet to do HoW story content as well as some Eris quests? Should I rather do that than chase upgrading his newly-found Suros, Thunderlord, etc. ?

I have limited time with Destiny (on a daily basis at least) so I want to be the most prepared for TTK as possible. :/

TheRook

Based on what we know now...

- Should I bother upgrading my Exotics (weapons & armor)?
- Should I bother upgrading VoG/CE stuff (Black Hammers, Fatebringers, etc.)?
- What to do with Crucible / Vanguard marks at this moment (I know I should save up 200/200 right before Sep 15th), but I'm thinking what now? Buy materials? Something else? :/
- My Titan has yet to do HoW story content as well as some Eris quests? Should I rather do that than chase upgrading his newly-found Suros, Thunderlord, etc. ?

I have limited time with Destiny (on a daily basis at least) so I want to be the most prepared for TTK as possible. :/

I think you should not upgrade anything if you don't have to because it will ultimately be a waste of material. The Exotics that can go into TTK will need to be re-upgraded and that will take some materials to do so.

VOG/CE stuff will be useful for Year 1 stuff, like the G-Horn but outside of that...Bungie wants to tune that stuff out and have you use new stuff you acquire in TTK.

As far as spending your Marks, unless you want to hold onto legacy stuff, there is no point in buy or obtaining anything right now, just save up on materials and wait for the TTK.

You should finish any Story missions left incomplete, I'm sure you have already done your Moments of Triumph, but if not work on that.

If you care to, Level up each faction to at least level 5 to insure some good loot drops from your faction of choice.

Personally I'm stocking up on Exotic Shards, Motes of Light, Strange Coins and Ammo Synth(Faction Material Exchange) to get a head start on my TTK progression.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Mmm, dat thread lull before Xur.
I'm stuck at work for another 55 minutes and usually check Xur right before home time. Now that we know nothing can beat last weeks offering, people probably just don't give a shit. The Kerjiggerhorn was the last piece of the Exotic puzzle for a lot of people.

I think you should not upgrade anything if you don't have to because it will ultimately be a waste of material. The Exotics that can go into TTK will need to be re-upgraded and that will take some materials to do so.

VOG/CE stuff will be useful for Year 1 stuff, like the G-Horn but outside of that...Bungie wants to tune that stuff out and have you use new stuff you acquire in TTK.

As far as spending your Marks, unless you want to hold onto legacy stuff, there is no point in buy or obtaining anything right now, just save up on materials and wait for the TTK.

You should finish any Story missions left incomplete, I'm sure you have already done your Moments of Triumph, but if not work on that.

If you care to, Level up each faction to at least level 5 to insure some good loot drops from your faction of choice.

Personally I'm stocking up on Exotic Shards, Motes of Light, Strange Coins and Ammo Synth(Faction Material Exchange) to get a head start on my TTK progression.
Thanks. Seems reasonable.

I'll just do weekly stuff with my main and finish the whole story content with the Titan.
Need to do Skolas as well as those 3 trophies with my School of Hawk brehs! ;)

Bonus question: should I continue doing 1x Gold Public Event a day per character to stuck op on that?

glaurung

I killed Skolas!

That was a very quick attempt with two guys, one of them kept screaming at me for not doing things right. But we did it! And this concludes my quest for the year one triumph card. All done.

In other news, fuck the PvP exotic bounty steps. I literally went up to 21/25 with the Invective bounty yesterday morning and then had a streak of horrid games, bringing me down back to 4/25. I hate the random players who just fuck about, not even trying to go for the objectives. Tempted to delete this crap bounty again. Don't even get me started with Thorn.

Shito

I had TOTALLY forgot about the weekly update, too busy I was playing the SF5 beta yesterday. Even though I'm quite disappointed with its netcode at the moment, this will probably be the game to finally take me out of Destiny once it releases. :D

So, one commendation for every 50 marks?
This means I should either play a bit of crucible to make those marks a multiple of 50, or buy some mats, so as not to lose a bunch of them...

TheRook

Thanks. Seems reasonable.

I'll just do weekly stuff with my main and finish the whole story content with the Titan.
Need to do Skolas as well as those 3 trophies with my School of Hawk brehs! ;)

Bonus question: should I continue doing 1x Gold Public Event a day per character to stuck op on that?

Public Event Tracker helps, but yeah I think it's something worth doing if you have the time to, otherwise there are better 5K exp bounties to do that take far less time.

For those who pre-ordered the Collectors Edition of TTK.

Do you think the Red Bull Exp item, the EXP boosting class item, and the Nightfall Modifier will all stack together? If so, I'm going to try and power through these 6 annoying levels so I can actually use the new Exoitics....

bitsurugi

Sooooo....

... is this how my next month or so will be?

Get up, go to work...

.... find out i am 30+ pages behind, while i slept and spent the next 2 hours catching up the topic?

Thought it would be less, didn't find the weekly update that ''new'' or ''fresh'' or did i miss something?

^^

Kukawaki

I'm stuck at work for another 55 minutes and usually check Xur right before home time. Now that we know nothing can beat last weeks offering, people probably just don't give a shit. The Kerjiggerhorn was the last piece of the Exotic puzzle for a lot of people.

Hehe, indeed.

Virdix

Public Event Tracker helps, but yeah I think it's something worth doing if you have the time to, otherwise there are better 5K exp bounties to do that take far less time.

For those who pre-ordered the Collectors Edition of TTK.

Do you think the Red Bull Exp item, the EXP boosting class item, and the Nightfall Modifier will all stack together? If so, I'm going to try and power through these 6 annoying levels so I can actually use the new Exoitics....

I think they would, but will you be able to do the nightfall is the question, I have 10 5k bounties on my titan and im planing on having around 15-18 public event packages in my post master and popping my focused light.

10*5k + an extra 50% should be 75k experience.

I'm torn on waiting to get the sunbreaker subclass first to progress that nice and fast at the same time.

TheRook

I think they would, but will you be able to do the nightfall is the question, I have 10 5k bounties on my titan and im planing on having around 15-18 public event packages in my post master and popping my focused light.

10*5k + an extra 50% should be 75k experience.

I'm torn on waiting to get the sunbreaker subclass first to progress that nice and fast at the same time.

I'll try my best to complete it, I figure I have a few days to do the nightfall, and I have a handful of Focused Light so I think I can manage getting to 38 or 40 before Friday, Then I'll try and get full legendary gear or enough to reach near max light to take on the Nightfall the opening week.

I believe I can flow chart it.

-Install TTK

-Receive all pre-order and digital game content

-Do opening story missions and obtain Stormcaller subclass

-Proceed to farm Legendary Marks and Level up Factions to earn Legendary gear.

-Use Exotic Blueprint to upgrade Year 1 Exotic armor and Weapons to Year 2

If all else fails, I can fall back on Xur to help a homie out~

(edit) by anychance are you the youtuber Byf?

bitsurugi

About them marks and the planetary materials:

- imo 400+ mats per planet is way then enough
- since we will be doing 3x dailies for legendary marks (and thus get mats from planets)
- even if they were sold via vendor like now, i seriously doubt ANYONE would buy em, since legendary marks WILL BE USED a LOT for legendaries and no one sane of mind would spend em on mats, which can be easily found via ghost
- don't forget we will be doing patrols for quests

I wonder if the Dreadnought will have any kind of materials in the new patrol zone.

So all in all, i wouldn't be too bothered for the planet mats in TTK. Also, probably we will have less legendaries then mats, due to the mark restrictions.

In my SUPER ROUGH ESTIMATE, you can get:

- 30 marks for dailies (if 10 is for 1 character per daily - saw that in the teaser at the end you get 10 marks)
- 30 marks for daily pvp for all 3 chars (supposing you get 10 per char)
- 60 for weelkly heroic (this is a pure GUESS, but i hope we get at least double then for a daily, so 20 marks per char).

That's like roughly 500 per week?! Not much if you consider a primary exotic is 150, legendary from the cryptarch 100-150.

I am also curious how many marks you get for a dismantle (hope not just 1!).

I am really curious how this will work out.

Top Bottom