• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothars

The biggest criticism I have about Challenge Mode is the way Bungie hyped it. The way they positioned Challenge mode, it sounded like it was the third version of the raid. Normal, Hard, Challenge. Only recently did the communication on that change.

That really is my main gripe with Bungie overall. The way they communicate things prior to delivering is piss poor sometimes. Vague statements that involve a bunch of guess work, prefacing the refer-a-friend program as a way to reward sherpas, etc..
They never said that at all, This is a case of some people reading more into something and than pretending that they were told something they were not.

flkraven

I read all Bungie talk about Challenge and in no way they said anything close to a new mode but they were fair saying it was specific tasks to kill raid bosses.

That is what happened.

Challenge mode is what I expected with better loot table (yeap I didn't expect Bungie doing this good in the loot table... it amazes me yet)

Maybe not a whole new raid, but maybe something a bit more than just the exact same way of doing it? I assumed you would fly into the challenge mode separately and it would be a one off boss encounter that rotates every week. That way the boss could be tweaked to at least make the encounter different. I mean, they said ages ago that the new thing would be a 'twist' on the normal/hard:

http://gamerant.com/destiny-taken-king-new-raid-twist-726

“We developed Hard mode first this time, then scaled to Normal. And we have one more thing we’re not talking about yet that’s pretty special. It’s a twist I’m excited about"

What is twist-y about completing it the normal way.

GlamFM

Banned
330 is a lie

uxur-locate1.png

I remember that guys post, and I remember trying to figure out just what the hell he was talking about. There is 1008 hours in 6 weeks, playing Destiny for 40 hours makes up 4% of that time frame. It's literally nothing.

This is true, if you're dedicated enough to post on a games subsection then you are not a casual player of that game. The argument is essentially the Hardcore vs the slightly more Hardcore.

irony is the spice of life

E92 M3

I finally got my Sleeper to 310, it took a while, but I am dedicated on maxing it out. Weapon is very much a beast.

Would suck so much if Bungie increased the light level cap as soon as we just started getting good loot.

I know, it just got me thinking about mimic lol.

Besides, we ready had kotr. It was called ghallahorn

Gjallarhorn was the Shockwave Pulsar, a true KoTR is yet to be shown :p

spyder_ur

The biggest criticism I have about Challenge Mode is the way Bungie hyped it. The way they positioned Challenge mode, it sounded like it was the third version of the raid. Normal, Hard, Challenge. Only recently did the communication on that change.

That really is my main gripe with Bungie overall. The way they communicate things prior to delivering is piss poor sometimes. Vague statements that involve a bunch of guess work, prefacing the refer-a-friend program as a way to reward sherpas, etc..

I really don't understand this perspective - they weren't misleading at all.

Luke Smith said:
In Hard Mode, all of the boss fights have a new mechanic, a new element. There's also Challenge mode - a particular way of killing a raid boss that gets you a special emblem and a reward.

Which is exactly what we got. That's from October 27. Any hype is generally the fault of the community, IMO. It's OK to want more and I get that perspective, but Bungie didn't mislead everyone on this one. And they gave out fantastic loot on top of that.

Out of curiosity, does 'Challenge mode' have a specific meaning in other raid/MMO settings? Just curious if that's the source of some of the confusion.

Would suck so much if Bungie increased the light level cap as soon as we just started getting good loot.

I would love to hear that as it would probably mean new content. But I never really cared about getting max level or that close, really. I really expected to hear more about the game's plans by this time.

GlamFM

Banned
data mined stuff is pretty much irrelevant

there is no way bungie is letting us go beyond 320 when hm oryx is set to 320. over level a current raid boss, not on bungie's watch

They will eventually. it wont be 320 forever.

A 10 LL increase along with some minor content in early 2016 seems like a no brainer to me.

flkraven

If you break it down, the only thing that this raid does is remove/strip away the optional ways of doing things until there is really only 1 way to successfully accomplish something. It's basically 'my way or the highway'. That is this raid's biggest flaw:

Normal Mode WP: You can keep aura holder dynamic or you can make it a specific person. It doesn't matter which totem you destroy first second or third since he doesn't get powered up. If 1 or 2 people die, no big deal. Juggle the aura, think quickly on your feet, and figure out a way to reset in 30 seconds.

Hard Mode WP: You can keep the aura holder dynamic or you can make it a specific person. You should probably plan out which totems you want to destroy in order, so you can control the power-ups. If a person or 2 dies you can survive, but it will be tough and isn't ideal. There is no resetting and scrambling, so better off just wiping.

Challenge Mode WP: Aura holder must be dynamic and different. Once again, you want to destroy the totems in a specific order. If a person dies and the aura transfers to the wrong person, start again.

I said this on reddit, but I love how difficult Skolas was. The rewards were complete shit, but IMO nothing has ever matched up to how challenging that encounter was. And there were revives! And that was only a 3 man activity! The key is that there wasn't 1 rigid way to beat him, but a variety of strategies, and if 2 people died and everything was going to shit, there was still a way to pull off something clutch and survive.

Strider

I still have the Warpriest checkpoint if any one needs it or would be kind of enough to help me complete the challenge tonight. Idk how long that Uncharted 4 beta lasts but I'll probably be busy with that for the rest of the week.

Namikaze1

I finally got my Sleeper to 310, it took a while, but I am dedicated on maxing it out. Weapon is very much a beast.

Gjallarhorn was the Shockwave Pulsar, a true KoTR is yet to be shown :p
Let's be honest for a second here, remake KoTR will not be as good or as OP as old KoTR. Just you wait and see. Square is gonna fuck it up somehow for the remake. It'll be visually stunning but not as OP as the original.

Nightz

Is LL 305/306 good enough to run HM Warpriest? I've only run NM twice, but I'd like to run the challenge mode stuff.

spyder_ur

If you break it down, the only thing that this raid does is remove/strip away the optional ways of doing things until there is really only 1 way to successfully accomplish something. It's basically 'my way or the highway'. That is this raid's biggest flaw:

I said this on reddit, but I love how difficult Skolas was. The rewards were complete shit, but IMO nothing has ever matched up to how challenging that encounter was. And there were revives! And that was only a 3 man activity! The key is that there wasn't 1 rigid way to beat him, but a variety of strategies, and if 2 people died and everything was going to shit, there was still a way to pull off something clutch and survive.

I totally agree with this. I hate the cycle of hard mode - start encounter, someone has a legit or bullshit death, restart encounter. I know you can save WP or Golgy or even daughter or Oryx with 5 or even 4, but never have I died or had a teammate die and thought how fun it was to be a man down with no recourse.

data mined stuff is pretty much irrelevant

there is no way bungie is letting us go beyond 320 when hm oryx is set to 320. over level a current raid boss, not on bungie's watch

Except we don't really directly attack Oryx. The Light Bombs do.

Like, in year 3, if we're running Oryx, it doesn't matter if we're LL 750, Oryx is still going to require the same amount of coordination due to how the mechanics of the fight work.

The only difference is making him flinch will be easier.

lt519

Sadly had no desire to do the challenge last night. I really don't want to miss out on that calcified fragment, but I'm also interested to see the rewards and how bat shit insane Oryx is and whether I even want to attempt it. Going from 316 to 320 doing the challenges really isn't worth it unless new high end content releases. Been enjoying other games and had been eagerly awaiting challenge mode but I'm not going to jump back in for just a calcified fragment when as of now it's just the same content.

E92 M3

Let's be honest for a second here, remake KoTR will not be as good or as OP as old KoTR. Just you wait and see. Square is gonna fuck it up somehow for the remake. It'll be visually stunning but not as OP as the original.

I think they will nerf it by not allowing summons to be mimed.

Hey, quick question. Has anyone seen an exotic be awarded to a player in Crucible since TTK?

You know that old post game messages: "Such and Such has found Monte Carlo"

I swear I haven't seen an exotic drop in Crucible since TTK launched.

flkraven

If we use the my-way-or-the-highway metric, then Oryx will probably need to be completed in 4 cycles and/or the Ogres will need to be killed before Oryx is staggered. Golgoroth will probably need to be killed before losing his gaze x amount of times (3?), so gaze juggling+multi orb.

And thus I will never beat remake Ruby. That's the only way I beat the fucker in FVII. Still haven't beaten Emerald yet.

45 straight minutes to beat emerald. I had max mime and kotr on all three characters. Just hit the button and watched for half that fight. The animations are loooong.

Even then you also needed the final attack revive combo. That boss fight was a test of endurance

ethomaz

Banned

Normal Mode WP: You can keep aura holder dynamic or you can make it a specific person. It doesn't matter which totem you destroy first second or third since he doesn't get powered up. If 1 or 2 people die, no big deal. Juggle the aura, think quickly on your feet, and figure out a way to reset in 30 seconds.

Hard Mode WP: You can keep the aura holder dynamic or you can make it a specific person. You should probably plan out which totems you want to destroy in order, so you can control the power-ups. If a person or 2 dies you can survive, but it will be tough and isn't ideal. There is no resetting and scrambling, so better off just wiping.

Challenge Mode WP: Aura holder must be dynamic and different. Once again, you want to destroy the totems in a specific order. If a person dies and the aura transfers to the wrong person, start again.

Just to add this week Warpriest Hard has more Knight than last week Hard.

Daemul

I agree. Arc Burn Skolas was the most challenging PvE fight in all of Destiny, it was rough, but beating him was so satisfying and I managed to do it 3 times that week. Then of course people complained and the burns were removed and we were left with a bullet sponge :(

Lets not also forget Qodron, I'm still mad about his nerf. So many damn scrubs in this community man.

E92 M3

Hey, quick question. Has anyone seen an exotic be awarded to a player in Crucible since TTK?

You know that old post game messages: "Such and Such has found Monte Carlo"

I swear I haven't seen an exotic drop in Crucible since TTK launched.

Nope, seems like they completely took it out.

And thus I will never beat remake Ruby. That's the only way I beat the fucker in FVII. Still haven't beaten Emerald yet.

You have to get on that before the remake releases!

LTWood12

Ah shit wish I'd ordered the hand cannons from the Gunsmith. Some really good rolls today.

Skolas burns were removed because people were killing him before the fight even started.

Because you pretty much HAD to do it that way on Solar & Arc Burn weeks. Chances of survival once ads came out w/ those two burns were astronomically low. I don't know anyone that did it 'legit' on solar or arc burn week ever.

Except we don't really directly attack Oryx. The Light Bombs do.

Like, in year 3, if we're running Oryx, it doesn't matter if we're LL 750, Oryx is still going to require the same amount of coordination due to how the mechanics of the fight work.

The only difference is making him flinch will be easier.

Yes, correct; but all the adds are 320. They are not going to allow us to be over leveled for that encounter.

They just gave us the chance to grab a 320 artifact, almost 10 weeks after TTK came out. We still don't have any 320 exotics.

I don't believe 330 loot is a thing, at least not for another 2-3 months when they may end up adding some more content.

Ah shit wish I'd ordered the hand cannons from the Gunsmith. Some really good rolls today.

Because you pretty much HAD to do it that way on Solar & Arc Burn weeks. Chances of survival once ads came out w/ those two burns were astronomically low. I don't know anyone that did it 'legit' on solar or arc burn week ever.

Haha. Of course. I got rid of all my HC packs because I was running out of space. Ho hum.

Namikaze1

45 straight minutes to beat emerald. I had max mime and kotr on all three characters. Just hit the button and watched for half that fight. The animations are loooong.

Even then you also needed the final attack revive combo. That boss fight was a test of endurance
It took me 3 hours to beat Ruby. I was under leveled. Used the most popular strat online. Went and plugged in my psp and left it alone while I played on the ps3.

Nope, seems like they completely took it out.

You have to get on that before the remake releases!
Sony needs to bring ps1 classics to ps4 and let me use the save file I uploaded to their ps plus cloud system for me to continue where I left off. don't have a ps3 or psp/vita to play it.

True. I love the scale of Oryx and the battle can be a lot of fun (depending on who you're playing with) but it has the same problem as the other raid bosses in that they are targets instead of enemies. You run around managing the mechanics of the fight/killing enemies until you fire at the boss as a group.

To be fair, oryx has the homing missiles and the thunderdome, which is a step in the right direction but you still don't feel like you are fighting against a lot of the raid bosses. in that respect skolas is my favourite end game boss so far.

Oh no. We've officially reached the point of the sine curve where I have to remind everyone that arachnophobia is a real thing for some people so please don't post horrifying spider pictures.

Dark Destiny days indeed.

Yes, correct; but all the adds are 320. They are not going to allow us to be over leveled for that encounter.

They just gave us the chance to grab a 320 artifact, almost 10 weeks after TTK came out. We still don't have any 320 exotics.

I don't believe 330 loot is a thing, at least not for another 2-3 months when they may end up adding some more content.

Oh, sorry. I thought thats what we were talking about. I'm not expecting 330 items in the near future, just sometime before year 3.

Oh no. We've officially reached the point of the sine curve where I have to remind everyone that arachnophobia is a real thing for some people so please don't post horrifying spider pictures.

Dark Destiny days indeed.

I may have been avoiding the thread recently. >.>

Seriously though, are there pictures on this page? If there are, someone I'm lucky and my work filter is blocking them.

Namikaze1

Zoba, the third I can't remember, and myself did. It was Arc and we fucked up the initial dps so we ended up running around for 15 minutes playing hot potato, reviving folks, and damaging Skolas a bit.

I think I have a video of that run somewhere...

True. I love the scale of Oryx and the battle can be a lot of fun (depending on who you're playing with) but it has the same problem as the other raid bosses in that they are targets instead of enemies. You run around managing the mechanics of the fight/killing enemies until you fire at the boss as a group.

To be fair, oryx has the homing missiles and the thunderdome, which is a step in the right direction but you still don't feel like you are fighting against a lot of the raid bosses. in that respect skolas is my favourite end game boss so far.

That's why the two new dreadnaught strikes are so good. You actually get to fight the strike bosses, up close and personal.

ethomaz

Banned
Skolas encounter was a less than minute kill with burns... the fight is way better after they remove the burns.

Arc = Arc Efreddit (or any other sniper)
Void = Void Efreddit (or any other sniper)
Solar = Solar Efreddit (or any other sniper) or just Gally him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom