• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are really overstating sniper AA. Most players suffer with sniping as it is.

Thats the thing. Bad players who suck at sniping, do slightly better with AA. Thats ok.

The issue is, great players who rock at sniping are puahwd over the edge with AA. Suddenly theyre quick scoping and taking you out when you revive and just generally unbearable. Its not fun at all.

Removing AA and making it a true weapon of skill would be ok woth me.

Strider

What about the opposite effect where non-casuals who have played the game since the Alpha want to stop playing because of how broken it is?

I can't wrap my head around a player wanting things to be broken so people "feel special and stick around" ... like wut lol

Population is not a concern. Not even on XB1... it'll still be more populated than almost every other fps out there.

Guys,

A Sword Reforged

Essential Elements step

Is "WE'VE WOKEN THE HIVE" the best spot for Solar Ability Kills? Warlock master race here. :p

Sky Walker

Done HM twice "Warlock+Titan". Got a 319 lock chest but most importantly ... a 319 gauntlet for my Titan "Was stuck at 311 piece"! Thus:

YneKl3g.jpg

nicolas_cage_breeze.0.gif

Lord Saladin can go to hell after his shitty rank 5 packages >:)

I don't feel special. :(

I feel like my sniping has gone to shit, actually. Maybe I'm just engaging people too much.

I think it will.

I´ve seen the game about a year ago. It was well into development.

It's expected December though, so even the slightest delay will push it back to 2017. And I wouldn't even really mind a delay after the last game.

zewone

Guys,

A Sword Reforged

Essential Elements step

Is "WE'VE WOKEN THE HIVE" the best spot for Solar Ability Kills? Warlock master race here. :p

I like Siege of the Warmind's first room myself.

Tons of enemies, lots of Thrall spawns and easy to jump off to reset the encounter.

You also don't have to listen to the ghost.

PuMa

Snipers is just the new thing to complain about since it's been a good outlet for many people to counter the long rang pulse rifles. Nothing has really changed with 2.0/2.1. Shadow of Veils had the same AA as Yasmine Bleeth.

Thats the thing. Bad players who suck at sniping, do slightly better with AA. Thats ok.

The issue is, great players who rock at sniping are puahwd over the edge with AA. Suddenly theyre quick scoping and taking you out when you revive and just generally unbearable. Its not fun at all.

Removing AA and making it a true weapon of skill would be ok woth me.

Add a delay to aiming down sights and slow down strafing would sort it out

I caved and played Iron Banner last night; I didn't get the ship like I wanted, but I did get a 318 ghost shell! I'm okay with that. I've made it to 307 without raiding, so I'm pretty happy with that. I'm satisfied with the PvP end game at the moment.

zewone

Snipers is just the new thing to complain about since it's been a good outlet for many people to counter the long rang pulse rifles. Nothing has really changed with 2.0/2.1. Shadow of Veils had the same AA as Yasmine Bleeth.
Sniper AA is literally no different in year 2 compared to year 1.

It's been confirmed they raised the AA for all sniper rifles by tying AA stat to the Range stat in 2.0.

Done HM twice "Warlock+Titan". Got a 319 lock chest but most importantly ... a 319 gauntlet for my Titan "Was stuck at 311 piece"! Thus:

Lord Saladin can go to hell after his shitty rank 5 packages >:)
318... nice

I did two runs earlier and the highest drop was 313. I got 2x 313 warlock chests on the same run.

KF is the fucking worst.

^yeah it is Darknyss. Last two weeks nearly half of my HM drops excluding Oryx have been "nothing."

Daaaamn. 318. Congrats. One of my guys might be able to sneak into 317 but I'm not sure. I'd probably have to infuse some stuff I'd rather not.

Shadow has less. Part of the problem is they've kept upping the ante. Even in HoW there were only a few very high AA snipers, now there are a lot of options.

I see a Sniper Rifle discussion going. Shotguns were definitely an issue but have been getting better as time goes on. The only issue I really have with them currently is Conspiracy Theory's range.

Sniper Rifles on the other hand are taking fun from the crucible for me. The main issue for me is the lack of de-scoping. If I come around a corner and get a burst into your head with a Pulse Rifle, you should not be able to blow my head off half before I can fire another burst. And when entire teams just dominate with sniper rifles it really makes the match and combat altogether unsatisfying. Because there isn't any. It just becomes getting shot in the head.

PuMa

“If your range is higher, your aim assist is gonna be better.” Snippet from the Crucible Radio podcast with Bungie's Senior Gameplay Designer Jon Weisnewski (https://twitter.com/sharkeatsman)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtkK9OagUnY

Are you sure he didn't just mean range will be directly tied to your AA in the sense that at optimal range, you will get 100% of the weapon's AA. Out of range, your AA will take a hit. That video is long, and I'm not sure if context is discussed.

Either way, it still doesn't feel much different from me. I think I was actually a better sniper pre-2.0, but that's mostly because I had my precious The Supremacy. Oh how I miss thee...

SonComet

Yup. If anything, it's the reason Pulse Rifles are everywhere. They're the only way to counter Snipers.
I'm terrible at clash. I can go positive in control and skirmish. But in clash... In iron banner I went negative for 10+ games. On my last game I pulled out my defiance of Yasmin instead of my invective. 3.6 kdr and on top of my team. I was in a fireteam of 6, so I don't think my scrubbiness matched me with easier opponents (everyone but me in the group goes flawless weekly). I think that will be my go to secondary until they nerf it...

I kind of wish they would leave them alone for PVE. I enjoy hitting my snipes in the raid and strikes for a change.

E92 M3

It's not hyperbole at all. I appreciate the fact that my teammates who may not necessarily be as skilled as me can still cover my back with Snipers. But I don't like that enemies who may not necessarily be as skilled as me can out snipe me with such ease. Most of my Sniper battles now end in trades because as soon as you see a player, it's too easy to swipe the reticle to their head. In a game with Shotguns and Fusion Rifles, the Sniper Rifles were once the weapon of finesse. I used to find it refreshing to be killed by a Sniper because they weren't this easy to use in Vanilla. But Bungie has been increasing the aim assist since The Dark Below and now with TTK they're dominating the game.

(Some people will tell you the aim assist values have not changed and they'd be incorrect according to the weapon charts. And even if the change isn't significant, the fact alone that snipers with high aim assist have increased in availability compared to Year One exacerbates the problem. The biggest contenders for Year One were Prudence and Supremacy - both of which weren't widespread enough to become part of the meta.)

They can still have "fun" snipers that aren't holding your hand, which is how they used to be. But sniper battles in TTK are not fun and I don't know what else to tell you. If anyone is having trouble with 1000 Yard Stare or Defiance, they just don't know how to snipe. There are days where my game is off, but more often than not I pull off impossible shots with 1000 Yard Stare that I wouldn't have pulled off with Baby Blue or even the LDR.

Would you be fine with how snipers were back when Destiny launched?

It has absolutely nothing to do with "who will win a 1v1?" Obviously the better sniper will. It has to do with the AA stat being so through the roof that it causes someone who is inherently bad at sniping to do much better than they should be doing. I don't give a shit about someone feeling special. I don't want broken/unbalanced things in the game.

Well, I'm glad you don't give a shit, but not every shooter has to be balanced towards the core. MW2 was one of the most fun games I ever played and it was relatively unbalanced with controlled chaos.

Thorn was fun. It made it really easy to get kills with. Getting kills is more fun than dying.

They should have left that alone too I suppose.

Also, an average PVP player can get sniper kills as easily as a good sniper was previously able to.

Good sniper winning a sniper duel consistently is not a fact. The AA will ensure the average player makes it a 50/50 coin toss.

It's not 50/50. I play with Cha a lot, and he essentially wins every sniper battle. AA helps beginners, but there is no way they can dominate a game. Sniping still takes effort - a lot more than shotgunning (the prominent choice).

What about the opposite effect where non-casuals who have played the game since the Alpha want to stop playing because of how broken it is?

I've been playing since the beta on Xbox and still love it. Don't really see anything "broken."

Yesterday while playing IB I was trying to snipe a titan across the map (sector 618). I was hiding behind cover, I jumped up, aimed a little above where the titan's head would be and fired. BOOM, headshot.

Honestly, I'm fine with the AA OPness, cause it gives average players a little more assistance. Pro's will always do well no matter what.

Exactly the point I am trying to make: pros will be pros no matter what. What we have now is just an easier sniper for beginners. I'd be okay with Bungie changing it to initial levels, but not because of the rationale presented here.

zewone

Are you sure he didn't just mean range will be directly tied to your AA in the sense that at optimal range, you will get 100% of the weapon's AA. Out of range, your AA will take a hit. That video is long, and I'm not sure if context is discussed.

Either way, it still doesn't feel much different from me. I think I was actually a better sniper pre-2.0, but that's mostly because I had my precious The Supremacy. Oh how I miss thee...

No, it means that the higher the range value, the higher the aim assist for any gun.

Since snipers have the highest range they have the most aim assist.

Snipers were absolutely fine in pre-2.0 and they screwed it royally in 2.0.

Looking at the weapon chart again and it looks like LDR has more aim assist than 1000 Yard Stare.

4780ae3a54a6c9180b930f5933945b91.png

18db5e15e9cf46b717d2845230b41e61.png

I know these charts are subject to revisions at any point (Her Benevolence was knocked down like 20 points in the summer after everyone started chasing it for having the best AA in House of Wolves), but that stat is hard to swallow given how much easier the 1000 Yard Stare is to use.

The way aim assist scales with range is probably the main cause for Snipers feeling stronger than they were before.

Would you be fine with how snipers were back when Destiny launched?

Think everyone in this thread already knows I want the game to revert back to 1.0.2.2 verbatim and go from there.

Lnkn52

Looking at the weapon chart again and it looks like LDR has more aim assist than 1000 Yard Stare.

I know these charts are subject to revisions at any point (Her Benevolence was knocked down like 20 points in the summer after everyone started chasing it for having the best AA in House of Wolves), but that stat is hard to swallow given how much easier the 1000 Yard Stare is to use.

The way aim assist scales with range is probably the main cause for Snipers feeling stronger than they were before.

Think everyone in this thread already knows I want the game to revert back to 1.0.2.2 verbatim and go from there.
This must be a meme by now.

PuMa

No, it means that the higher the range value, the higher the aim assist for any gun.

Since snipers have the highest range they have the most aim assist.

Snipers were absolutely fine in pre-2.0 and they screwed it royally in 2.0.

Hm, I dunno. I'm mostly fine with it the way it is now.

"The higher the range, the higher the AA" doesn't necessarily mean "over base AA"...unless they explicitly said that. I have no idea.

E92 M3

4780ae3a54a6c9180b930f5933945b91.png

18db5e15e9cf46b717d2845230b41e61.png

Yeah I know, it's just feels like the snipers stayed the same, but that was already looked at.

Afrocious

I'm having fun with sniper rifles as I'm using them like I'm on a bike with training wheels.

However, some snipers are ridiculous. The raid one for example.

This must be a meme by now.

PvP peaked for me last November and i'll take that to my grave.

Besides, even if Sniper aim assist hasn't gone up, that doesn't mean it shouldn't go down. They're clearly on top of the food chain right now and we all know what Bungie's favorite word is.

XenoRaven

All I know is playing IB forced me to move on from Praedyth's and use 1,000 Yard Stare and I feel I've entered some sort of sniping Renaissance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom