• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Normal Raid is definitely not an issue for me anymore. I only fear death from those long jumps/gaps and the Gorgons only. Gawd, they make my hands sweat.

patchday

the more i play this game and the more i read about it, the more i wish bungie didn't make it.

perhaps that's kinda unfair to say, but i just feel like they're hopelessly inept when it comes to understanding what they made and how to make it better.

-they're clueless about the loot system
-clueless about writing a story
-clueless about map design

-clueless about sandbox/class balance
-clueless about social features
-clueless about netcoding
-clueless about patches
-clueless about weekly updates

the two things they've gotten right - arguably more than most games - are the art direction and the soundtrack. am sure there are developers that could do everything else better though, including halo-era bungie. it doesn't help either that they're with money money money activision

I bolded all the parts I fell ya pain on. I was worried this game was going to lack a story when I saw all the previews. only reason I bought this game was to play with my brother-in-law (which burned out soon as he hit 20 and saw all the grinding that awaited)

Normal mode only so far, but yeah this is it. I pop Golden Gun right away and put two shots on the Minotaur (I'm pretty sure it's legit not a Praetorian) and plant the third shot on whatever Oracle is current (usually the second, sometimes the third).

Hawkmoon is stellar at taking down oracles, but by this point I've switched exotics to Gjallar; The Devil You Know is adequate for the task in normal as well.

Side note: You were right about TDYK. It's badass. I'm honestly not sure it's any less effective than the Hawkmoon. I have a fully-upgraded Hawkmoon and a stock TDYK (one night of bounty XP in, very close to that crowd control perk which is going to be a game changer for the gun I am hoping), and I'm shocked that TDYK holds up as well as it does in comparison. I still give the slight edge to the Hawkmoon because of its damage output but TDYK hangs right in there with it.

LiK

Sprinting buggy for anyone else? I thought it was my controller but I keep reading more and more guys having the same issue. It's seriously fucking me up.

You need a new relic holder if they can't take out the adds themselves, just sayin. You can throw a grenade at the praetorian before that first oracle spawns to help out but you shouldn't be shooting the adds at all. That's a waste of precious time.

Wasting time doing what? Standing there waiting for the first Oracle to pop with their gun up their butt? Both top guys should toss a grenade in the middle and one of them should help you down the Pretorian while the other works the first Oracle. After the second Oracle pops, then the guy helping with adds needs to get to work on Oracle duty.

darkwing

Firefly in PvE, explosive rounds in PvP

Problem with explosive rounds in PvE is that they take away from your initial shots damage to provide that same amount in an AoE explosion. For most mobs this is alright but for higher level content you'll want your precision shots to crit for the full amount and not waste the rest on explosion. Hobgoblins are a good example of this. You'd rather one shot them with the crit than have a weaker shot and an explosion afterwards (when they are immune).

Explosive rounds in PvP are fun because they shake the screen of whoever you hit with them, making it harder for your enemies to aim under fire.

ohhhh thanks for the info

Sprinting buggy for anyone else? I thought it was my controller but I keep reading more and more guys having the same issue. It's seriously fucking me up.

Yeah, it's a bad mechanism to begin with. They have this built-in cool down that ends up just making things really clunky. On top of that, there's some odd bug with it that kicks in every once in a while. Can't describe it but I know when it's happening.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
if gameplay extends to stuff like bullet sponge enemies, clunky vehicles, ridiculous auto aim and bullet magnetism, jumping inaccuracies, weapon and class balance, and hit detection delay, then i'd disagree. the "shootbang" is polished but the philosophies behind the rest consistently contradict one another.

In a FPS, the "shootbang" is what matters most, imo.

realcZk

Yeah, it's a bad mechanism to begin with. They have this built-in cool down that ends up just making things really clunky. On top of that, there's some odd bug with it that kicks in every once in a while. Can't describe it but I know when it's happening.

Its stupid. It's like some CD/stamina system that triggers after a while and won't let you sprint again. Usually you can melee/jump then sprint again right away. I have no idea why it's in the game and it serves no purpose whatsoever. I think it's just there to slow down farming.

patchday

Haaaa I forgot guys... I have the Hard Atheon checkpoint if anybody wants to try new cheeses lol

I'm all for exploits normally. I am not the guy that takes a moral high road in games

But really I hope Atheon cannot be cheesed anymore

It was not fun watching people try to cheese him. In all that time we coulda killed him straight up. Maybe I was just playing with nooblets but they seemed to spend like 30 mins trying to cheese. And I mean no disrespect to those guys I appreciated coming along for the ride.

But last night was the most fun I had in that raid due to no cheeses. And it was done in record time. Granted, maybe I cheese the jumping platforming section? Cause I dont follow all those stupid platforms. I just run down the hill and jump on one platform to get across.

I appreciate the platforming section but if I wanted to hop around I'd play Mario :D

hydruxo

Wasting time doing what? Standing there waiting for the first Oracle to pop with their gun up their butt? Both top guys should toss a grenade in the middle and one of them should help you down the Pretorian while the other works the first Oracle. After the second Oracle pops, then the guy helping with adds needs to get to work on Oracle duty.

Oracles are easy as hell. Sorry but its not even hard to take out that minotaur with the relic. I stand there everytime and activate GG then one shot the first three oracles. Works like a charm.

Throwing a grenade before the first one is exactly what I said. But there's no need to even have a second guy helping with adds if the relic holder is half way competent with it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
the base gameplay is good but stuff like inaccuracy when jumping and overall weapon and class balance are holding it back.
meh. It is a best-in-class shooter, very likely my favorite one of those to utilize ADS.
The question is will people stick around or come back later or just find a new "crack" to play?
how many people have to stick around for it to be considered "people sticking around"?
point me toward any other game that scratches this same itch and I'll start playing it tomorrow. personally I have to go back multiple console generations to recreate this feeling. Be warned if you suggest diablo 3 I will make fun of you. what release is even on the horizon that aims to be addictive in the same way? What's the true competition, not just releases along its timeline but games that aim to deliver the same kind of experience? Might have forgotten something, but I can't think of any in the near future.
Side note: You were right about TDYK. It's badass. I'm honestly not sure it's any less effective than the Hawkmoon. I have a fully-upgraded Hawkmoon and a stock TDYK (one night of bounty XP in, very close to that crowd control perk which is going to be a game changer for the gun I am hoping), and I'm shocked that TDYK holds up as well as it does in comparison. I still give the slight edge to the Hawkmoon because of its damage output but TDYK hangs right in there with it.
It's pretty much the perfect stand-in in PvE. Hawkmoon does more same, sometimes way more damage with the bonus rounds, overall- but Crowd Control is great, 12 rounds is quite close to 13, having your exotic slot is great. It's a lovely gun that rarely leaves my side for long.

LiK

Oracles are easy as hell. Sorry but its not even hard to take out that minotaur with the relic. I stand there everytime and activate GG then one shot the first three oracles. Works like a charm.

Throwing a grenade before the first one is exactly what I said. But there's no need to even have a second guy helping with adds if the relic holder is half way competent with it.

I think anyone who's level 29-30 with Relic In Normal should be able to ground pound to victory.

Tovarisc

It's not bugged. Bungie has put cooldown into sprinting so you can't toggle it on and off multiple times in short-ish period of time.

Why? I don't know, it doesn't make sense. Destiny is only arcade FPS like this that has CD in sprint.

That said I think they should also remove "Teammate to Teammate collision mapping" from the PvP or at least disable players ability to push each other around. Nothing is more annoying than some frag hungry tool that sprints into you at full speed and in process pushes you into enemy fire / shoves your aim off / makes your nade fly to who knows where etc.

commish

Hmm I think it's pretty hard to consistently take out the praetorian solo on hard with the relic.

In a FPS, the "shootbang" is what matters most, imo.

the shootbang is one reason i played it for so long, but all the problems on top of it that bungie either doesn't know how to fix, wont fix, or will end up making worse have me concerned.

i was thinking about the classes earlier today and just shaking my head after spawning into 3 different supers for 3 deaths.

patchday

ohhhh thanks for the info

yeah I got a rare handcannon (Cheif something) that rocks in pvp due to the explosion. he speaks the truth. Was doing some skirmish and made one opponent so angry she teabagged me when she finally took me out. After that I made it my mission to ruin her day. No teabagging from me. Just pure business and maybe a little happy dance

Are we talking hard or normal? It felt like it took a good 5 or so hits to down him with the relic on hard. Way too long for the third guy to be doing nothing but stand around and just watch everyone else work.

Just finished my Nightfall run. Picked up this little guy...

oz2O4Lr.jpg

LiK

Its stupid. It's like some CD/stamina system that triggers after a while and won't let you sprint again. Usually you can melee/jump then sprint again right away. I have no idea why it's in the game and it serves no purpose whatsoever. I think it's just there to slow down farming.

It's not bugged. Bungie has put cooldown into sprinting so you can't toggle it on and off multiple times in short-ish period of time.

Why? I don't know, it doesn't make sense. Destiny is only arcade FPS like this that has CD in sprint.

That said I think they should also remove "Teammate to Teammate collision mapping" from the PvP or at least disable players ability to push each other around. Nothing is more annoying than some frag hungry tool that sprints into you at full speed and in process pushes you into enemy fire / shoves your aim off / makes your nade fly to who knows where etc.

Seriously? Did they stealth adjust the stamina? I don't remember this issue that much when I was lower level. That's so idiotic especially without a bar to show your stamina.

realcZk

I agree, fireteam collision is pretty pointless as well and causes more harm than good. Rocket suicides, pushing people off ledges, hitting people midair and screwing up their jumps, etc

commish

Seriously? Did they stealth adjust the stamina? I don't remember this issue that much when I was lower level. That's so idiotic especially without a bar to show your stamina.

It's annoying but it's always been there... at least as far as I can remember. Other games have it too.

blackflag

It's totally unnecessary to leave the relic holder to kill all the mobs by himself. The oracles aren't that hard to kill so taking 2 or 3 seconds to help with the mobs is better than over-killing the first few oracles.

Uneccessary and dangerous especially if your relic holder is 29 in the hard mode raid.

Content. That is this games main problem. Or lack thereof, I should say. When players have to do the same things over and over again for months on end of course the game is going to be scrutinized to hell and back. Hopefully the expansions help. It just sucks they're behind a pay wall. Not to mention Xbox owners getting shafted.

Strider

Lets take guesses guys: Will the Mythoclast patch come out before or after MCC launches?

They'll rush it out before to keep us from switching over :p

But MCC until the expansion for me. I need to fill up my XB1 friendlist now that I think about it...

milkham

i agree with you for the most part, i can easily handle the minotaur with the relic even on hard, but sometimes those guys are spread out enough that one leftover little guy can finish me off while i'm dealing with the minotaur or the sprint bugs out and i cant even close on the last guy before he shoots me to death. I do appreciate a nova bomb dropping on them as i'm running down with the relic though. sometimes having people help with the adds is even detrimental, like the hobgoblins on the left portal, they shoot them and they do their shield thing and my ground pound doesn't kill them.

Is anybody Normal raiding tonight, at say 9pm EST? My friend and I (28 Hunter and 30 Titan) are looking for a group that's familiar with the raid, want to get it done in one night.

blackflag

Got that God of War shader from Cryptarch level up....hnnnng sooooo good. He also gave me a legendary helm but I have them for every class already.

Tovarisc

Don't you just love hanging about an area for 6 minutes only for the event not to show up?

I raise you with idling for event for good time over from when it was supposed to start, then getting darkened sky and notification that event is about to start, see shit spawns, but then instantly despawn.

Event never happened.

Deku Tree

Flawless run perfect to Atheon.

One person ported.

Game over.

Fucking Bungie.

Yup. It happens almost every time you do encounter... there is one of several bugs that very frequently pops up that forces a wipe. I would never try to get the Flawless raider trophy until they fix the bugs that they introduced with the latest "patch".

E92 M3

When does MCC launch?

11/11

They'll rush it out before to keep us from switching over :p

But MCC until the expansion for me. I need to fill up my XB1 friendlist now that I think about it...

What is your GT? Not sure if I have you or not.

I'm guessing mid-late November, maybe even after the DLC at this rate. I love surprises though.

I love surprises too, unfortunately. I thought the latest patch would have had nice surprises =/

Considering how slow their patch cycle is I would say they wrap this "major patch" into DLC or just post-DLC release it.

That would be possibly be the worst thing ever lol. They been promising us certain fixes for a very long time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom