• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah I don't get it. Those games don't scratch the same itch at all. I love the old Halo games, not a fan of COD really but regardless I wouldn't be sending my friends a group text every week to do challenges and continue building my persistent character.
Ding. again, I'm struggling to even name an upcoming release that I'd classify as direct competition to this game. It really is a bit of a unique beast in this generation.
My Halo 1-3 hayday has passed. MCC collection cannot recapture the magic of playing Halo 2 after school with my friends. It's amazing these games will be online again and I'll want to play them again. But no way will it consume my gaming time like Destiny does... a game that made me stop playing Dark Souls/2, which I thought would never happen. Dark Souls and Destiny aren't comparable from a gameplay perspective, but they are the same to me for the "slot" they fill in my gaming time. They're the main games. I can't play both at once because they occupy the same mental space. An old Halo collection or COD game won't usurp that slot for me.
I'd love to play Halo 2 again in 60fps, but I'm not buying an Xbox One for it.

I haven't beaten Dark Souls 2 yet either. And oh god, Shadow of Mordor is really good too :-[

We need to send that video to Bungie and demand that they give us that fucking trophy. Not only was only one person teleported, but the portals immediately dropped after we had intentionally kept them up before the teleport just in case some bullshit glitch happened. By the time the portal came back up the Oracles were already wiping us.

So much rage.

I'm uploading mine, can the player who got teleported upload his video too?

I heard a juicy rumor that after the reception to Destiny and the bugs/issues they fired their entire Q/A department.

yep, i heard it from a friend of someone who was hired as a tester.

actually wanted to post this a while ago but i know i'd have been shit on without a source.

Not on the previous run we had done just before that.

Both portals were open, it said Atheon did the teleport but nobody teleported. Both gates stayed up the whole time. He "teleported" 0 people three times in a row while standing stationary in the middle. As soon as one person went inside a portal to see wtf was up, it said that the oracles were wiping us.

It was literally a different game breaking glitch on 3 consecutive flawless runs to Atheon. But every time after we wiped Atheon worked perfectly fine and we could burn him down no problem. It seemed like a wipe/reset was required between GKeepers and Atheon for it to work properly... which is great for the "no one can die" trophy.

There are actually a lot of "new things" in the raid since the patch. See above for an example.

Okay, but those glitches aren't related to the portals not staying open. Clearly they stayed open that time because no one got teleported.

GhaleonEB

Vanguard rep is the "default" Rep you get from Vanguard bounties, Strike playlists, beacon missions on patrol, etc- your Vanguard for your class (i.e. Cayde-6 for Hunters, Ikora Rey for Warlocks) will sell you armor when you get to Vanguard rank 2, and the Vanguard Quartermaster will sell you weapons when you get to rank 3. The currency used at these vendors is Vanguard Marks, best earned by doing Public Events and the Level 24 (Tiger) Strike playlist.

Bounties are by far the quickest way to rank up. But if you equip a faction item, the Rep will go to them instead- so yep, ditch the cap.
Got it, thanks. My armor shader matches the FWC colors so it's a great looking get up, but I'll grab a new cape and ditch it. I might grab a screenshot for posterity.

(Note to self: figure how to take screenshots...)

X-Frame

Mass Effect 4 is the game I'm looking at.
If ME4 meets ME3's measure then I would drop Destiny in a heartbeat. I'd miss raids and PVP, but not enough. Let's start with the grind. Mass Effect multiplayer's freemium model is built around getting good at the game and speed running. Destiny's MMO grind is just that. I need 48 Helium Filaments for my boots to reach light level 28. If raid boots drop then I'll be happy and hate it at the same time. Similarly I really miss Mass Effect's weapon and power variety. Many things in Destiny play like a really boring version of its Mass Effect counterpart. Suros is a Harrier without the ammo limitations. Voidsinger is the really slow and boring Adept. The emotes can be fun and useful, but compare it to a Krogan headbutt. Some would say even ME3's very limited shader options compare favorably.

I still like and will continue playing Destiny, but I'm hard pressed to see myself purchasing anything beyond my poorly thought out Guardian Edition preorder.

ps I am pro nerf and Atheon changes. Balance is what keeps the game interesting and the raid is supposed to be challenging. Yes I want to see bugs fixed, but random teleporting was a good change.

Remember the WEEKLY balance changes? Wow, how we were spoiled.

Tovarisc

Friend of a friend. It's all just hearsay though, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bungie management made some 'organizational changes' to their Quality Assurance staff.

In the end QA can do only so much. It's up to development teams to address issues flagged by QA testers.

Just now, it did 1460 crit damage to vex goblins. I'm in love.

It's wonderful thing when many of those damage boosts can proc into single shot. Total of 3 boosts and all of them can proc into one shot.

Just now, it did 1460 crit damage to vex goblins. I'm in love.

Haha. That sounds about right.

I'll be taking mine through the raid tonight. I'll pair that with my void 77 Wizard (hey Hawkian, I finally got the void version) and my raid RL and clean house. Man, normal mode... rolling through that now is like cake.

Jito

Banned
I raise you with idling for event for good time over from when it was supposed to start, then getting darkened sky and notification that event is about to start, see shit spawns, but then instantly despawn.

Event never happened.

Wait what? My heart weeps, sounds painful.

Now that you know he spawns back there is it just execution you're having issues with? Have someone watching for him and once he spawns call it out on the mic and all 3 of you focus fire on him. Eventually you'll get the timing down where you don't need someone watching for him and you can just peek back when you feel he's coming.

Plus the boss will have aoe attacks at the ledge so it's not like you can spam against him the whole time, so you should with 3 of you have plenty of time to look back for him.

Use void weapons on him and all 3 of you should be able to get him down easy enough. Use supers and rez each other as fast as you can.

It's still tough up top but take your time.
It's what I know we'll struggle with, the execution, yeah. This is only our second Nightfall and we only tried this one once last night before people had to leave. Mostly, I wanted to solicit advice to reduce any time spent banging our head against the wall in advance. So thanks for replying.

We'll try it up top this time and keep an eye out for the Praetorian.

To add to what Hoodbury already answered: if you want you can also have one of you three chill back in the zone just before the Minotaur spawns (but not too close so as not to provoke his aggro). If the two others "inside" both die, they can quit and rejoin.
A bit of a hassle but still better than having to restart from scratch.
I like that idea; we did something similar for Summoning Pits when facing the wizards, and it helped immensely.

Do you know how far back someone can go/steady without causing issues? I once went too far back in Summoning Pits, don't want that happening again.

Nope, not Xur. The faction vendors (New Monarchy, Future War Cult, etc). You can buy a class specific item from them and all the XP that would go towards Vanguard and Crucible will go towards that one faction instead. If you're only playing a bit, and mixing between PVP and PVE it's a decent way to rank up.
Ah I didn't realise that, thanks for the advice

Snicky

Remember the WEEKLY balance changes? Wow, how we were spoiled.

If they are going to release DLC every two months, it does not even appear they can fix the bugs in existing content before they release the new content. It is crucial that they balance, fix exploits, and eliminate cheese on a weekly basis if they want to stick to their existing release schedule.

We have just over 1 month until the first DLC drops and (anecdotal) my experience in the raid last night was the buggiest I've had. This did NOT include disconnects or connection problems, but bugs with Atheon.

I LOVE the gameplay in this game but I don't know how much staying power it will have for me, personally.

If ME4 meets ME3's measure then I would drop Destiny in a heartbeat. I'd miss raids and PVP, but not enough. Let's start with the grind. Mass Effect multiplayer's freemium model is built around getting good at the game and speed running. Destiny's MMO grind is just that. I need 48 Helium Filaments for my boots to reach light level 28. If raid boots drop then I'll be happy and hate it at the same time. Similarly I really miss Mass Effect's weapon and power variety. Many things in Destiny play like a really boring version of its Mass Effect counterpart. Suros is a Harrier without the ammo limitations. Voidsinger is the really slow and boring Adept. The emotes can be fun and useful, but compare it to a Krogan headbutt. Some would say even ME3's very limited shader options compare favorably.

I still like and will continue playing Destiny, but I'm hard pressed to see myself purchasing anything beyond my poorly thought out Guardian Edition preorder.

ps I am pro nerf and Atheon changes. Balance is what keeps the game interesting and the raid is supposed to be challenging. Yes I want to see bugs fixed, but random teleporting was a good change.

The Mass Effect series is my favorite series of all time. I couldn't get enough of ME2. My now-ex gf used to hate it when I'd wake up early on the weekend and start playing. Pretty sure I gave up morning sex a few dozen times for that game.

Anyone else using the vision of confluence find that the auto fire keeps cutting out despite never releasing the trigger?

It can be after 9 shots, just 2, or even 1 without going auto.

It's really annoying.

With HM dropping for me in NF and you guys talking about it like this...I'm getting even more excited. Pants are getting a bit tight.

It's my favorite gun in the game (along with the Mythoclast). It pounds enemies like a drunk lineman pounds a prostitute AND sounds cool as shit while doing it.

I hope they buff the Mytho at some point. That gun sounds and looks even cooler but the damage output is weak. I use it on mobs and out on patrols etc just to hear it.

Tovarisc

Anyone else using the vision of confluence find that the auto fire keeps cutting out despite never releasing the trigger?

It's really annoying.

Yeah it can crap out at random.

And yes I'm holding trigger all way down!

Namikaze1

I forgot about Hawkmoon's perks. No wonder I did 1700 crit damage. I'm in love with this gun. Fuck you, Fatebringer!

I still want you though...

It's really annoying.

Happens with some of the other guns too. I have a Bad Seed Down pulse rifle (that I hate and never use anymore) that has the full auto perk. I notice the same cut out and it also happens after 5 or 2 or 1 shot. Extremely annoying.

Go get yourself a Shadow Price with the field scout perk and the problem will take care of itself.

It's my favorite gun in the game (along with the Mythoclast). It pounds enemies like a drunk lineman pounds a prostitute AND sounds cool as shit while doing it.

I hope they buff the Mytho at some point. That gun sounds and looks even cooler but the damage output is weak. I use it on mobs and out on patrols etc just to hear it.

HAHAHA omg I almost spit water all over my keyboard. I can't wait to get back online and take it for a test run.

Edit: I really want Fatebringer too. Would let me keep Gjallarhorn or IB in the exoctic slot.

Deku Tree

Thanks for the answers!

I don't think I'm going to do the hard raid anymore unless they fix the glitches. It's just too time consuming for too little rewards. I can live without a mythocast and helm from the first RAID.

On Dec 9 the VoG RAID helm is going to become obsolete anyway IMO.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's a really unexpected answer, haha. But really, if we want to get into this, it's not the "game that would make me give up on Destiny" but the game that most closely fills the same niche and thus competes directly for the same customers. I think there are plenty of people who have no desire to play a true/traditional MMO, along with plenty of people who have no desire to play military shooters, spending dozens and dozens of hours in Destiny. Design decisions to appeal (even subconsciously) to that group is textbook market differentiation if you look at the console space right now. Unless a game can be said to really aim for the same players, it can't be "the new crack," so to speak. And ultimately, for all our chatterwhining, this is why Destiny has been so inexplicably successful. Huge swaths of very disparate gamers are getting hooked by at least one aspect or another, and often more than one. I'm saying there's a reason we're on page 60 of this game's ninth OT and that reason is not incompetent design. It's a success that will probably see attempts to be recaptured, I just don't know when the first contender will even be, because we need to identify another entrant in its "subgenre."

So what we'd look for would be:
-Customizable/player-created characters with "lite-RPG" progression
-Action gameplay (note: this a very different story from even the most action-oriented MMORPG, even those with native gamepad support like TERA)
-Heavy emphasis on playing with friends/in-groups
-Emphasis on loot/itemization
-Business model is an upfront purchase, no subscription, and minor content additions/timed events, plus paid DLC packs
-High degree of replayability/emphasis on repeating content on a daily/weekly basis for rewards to be saved up over time
-Inclusion of both ranked competitive multiplayer (e.g.: Crucible) and difficult, novel cooperative multiplayer (e.g.: Raids)
-Console-only, but multiplatform

What upcoming releases even go on the list?
Got it, thanks. My armor shader matches the FWC colors so it's a great looking get up, but I'll grab a new cape and ditch it. I might grab a screenshot for posterity.

(Note to self: figure how to take screenshots...)
They don't look too great, but if you just hit the share button and post directly to Twitter you can link the pic from there.

Sullichin

Is anyone happy with the amount of content that's going to be in the first DLC? I knew what to expect so I had tempered expectations, and unfortunately it seems just as underwhelming as I expected.

I play on PS4 but the missing content on Xbox is really bothersome. There's not enough strikes on PS as is, and the strike playlist on Xbox is even more repetitive and lacking one of the best weapons in the game (Hawkmoon). Two new strikes for PS4 doesn't impress me much either based on the strikes we already have. One new strike is just a joke. Timed exclusives are never a good thing, but usually this shit is stuff that doesn't matter. The game doesn't have enough content for anything to feel like a bonus.

I don't really have faith in Bungie that the story missions will be interesting or different or worthwhile. It sounds like they'll be multi part missions where you go back to a vendor and hear one line of lifeless dialogue and get the next part of your quest.

No new sub classes is a bummer, but I guess that might be for DLC#2. I can deal with that. No new planets. Who knows if these story missions will even be on new land masses in existing planets or just some unused patrol area.

I'm being cynical about this but I think I have reason to be. I kind of hate that I'm still buying it, but that's my fault.

About to try the raid for the first time. I'm nervous as shit.. Hope I don't screw this over and they kick me out. I'm scared of the platforming sections the most.

Holy shit they wanna play it on Hard. I'm so screwed I'm 29 though. This is gonna be so fantastic. I'm really really scared. Why? Why?

Ran the normal raid last night with a pick up group from here. Got Praedyth's Revenge and a second Vision of Confluence from it, so that was nice.

I was also able to go without dying once, save for the Gorgon maze, where we were spotted running for the chest, and Atheon where we had issues working out roles. I think I have a decent shot at Flawless Raider, if I can find a group. It'll probably only get easier as the level cap is raised anyway.

dengatron

regular goblins on hard have somewhere between 1209(un upgraded fatebringer crit) and 1290(maxed icebreaker noncrit) health. anything that hits that hard can one shot them, and fatebringer certainly is effective after a couple damage upgrades.

Okay, but those glitches aren't related to the portals not staying open. Clearly they stayed open that time because no one got teleported.

Please explain to me the details of what the glitches are and are not related to; it would really help us out. Why did it work fine after a wipe every time? Why did entering a portal after no one was teleported cause oracles to wipe us when there were no oracles or even a relic inside? How does raising the portals after beating GKeepers relate to the glitches of how many people are teleported?

Nobody understands a damn thing about these glitches, least of all Bungie. But posting "that's not a new thing" in response to a clearly irritated post-- when you have no idea what you are talking about-- is a lame thing to do.

blackjaw

how many people have to stick around for it to be considered "people sticking around

For me, at least two real life friends so we can make a fireteam and enough raid GAF to fill a XB1 raid per week. My real life friends are dipping out for various games so that number is dwindling. We will see how long the GAF players stick around as well.

I love the game, wouldn't have put 6 days worth of time into it if I didnt, I just wish there was more content (especially for XB1). I agree. With you, there are maybe a handful of games that I've played since I started gaming in the early 80s that have hooked me like this but, to use a golf analogy, Bungie was lined up to make a birdie putt back in September and has been putting around the green ever since. I'm just waiting for them to figure it out and sink the ball, for everyone's sake.

Is anyone happy with the amount of content that's going to be in the first DLC? I knew what to expect so I had tempered expectations, and unfortunately it seems just as underwhelming as I expected.

I don't really have faith in Bungie that the story missions will be interesting or different or worthwhile. It sounds like they'll be multi part missions where you go back to a vendor and hear one line of lifeless dialogue and get the next part of your quest.

No new sub classes is a bummer, but I guess that might be for DLC#2. I can deal with that. No new planets. Who knows if these story missions will even be on new land masses in existing planets or just some unused patrol area.

I'm being cynical about this but I think I have reason to be. I kind of hate that I'm still buying it, but that's my fault.

Nah, I completely agree. It is extremely underwhelming... kinda regretting that I purchased the LE for the season pass a bit. I know I'll still play it but yea. Hopefully the 2nd DLC has more but I don't have much faith in Bungie either anymore.

EL CUCO

If they are going to release DLC every two months, it does not even appear they can fix the bugs in existing content before they release the new content. It is crucial that they balance, fix exploits, and eliminate cheese on a weekly basis if they want to stick to their existing release schedule.

We have just over 1 month until the first DLC drops and (anecdotal) my experience in the raid last night was the buggiest I've had. This did NOT include disconnects or connection problems, but bugs with Atheon.

I LOVE the gameplay in this game but I don't know how much staying power it will have for me, personally.

Yeah I think I'll hold off on Raiding until the weekend. My friend at work just told me he was part of a Raid last night that 5 of 6 people didn't get rewarded for. It just so happens that last night, I DIDN'T get a reward for Nightfall. I posted about it here yesterday.

I had to do the Nightfall over again this morning. Thankfully it worked. But this is getting ridiculous.

GhaleonEB

Are you on PS4? Tap the Share button.

A couple weeks ago I tried to figure out how to save a clip of some Defense Grid 2 gameplay. 20 minutes of fumbling later I gave up. I'm sure it's dead simple but I sure couldn't figure it out from within the UI and haven't taken the time to look it up. I'll do that tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom