• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth: PS5 Pro vs PS5 - A Vast Improvement At 60FPS

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
DLSS is God tier compared to this shite.
I didn't call Nvidia God Tier you did.
GFN4WseWgAAkwBh.jpg

sachos

Not all the power is being spent on PSSR, the game drops to near 50 on the base while holding a locked 60 on the Pro.
Plus its locked at 60, we dont know how much performance there is left and being capped by Vsync. I dont get this narrative that PSSR is using all the extra 45% gpu power. Maybe devs are just being lazy and changing upscalers and calling it a day.

Ronin_7

DLSS is God tier compared to this shite. This is what worried me reading about what PSSR was doing from an engeenering point of view. The most interesting thing will be now to see how it stacks up to software only brach of XeSS because if it is poor than that then this thing is a bit of a scam as PS5 surely could do some PSSR lite stuff. Basically the extra GPU power is doing the heavy lifting instead of PSSR which does not boad well for Unreal engine titles. It also means ML part of this custom APU is weak. Honestly this is not what I was expecting.
Congratulations, you're now a master of useless verbosity!

Go_Ly_Dow

Not true. I can see in the pictures that the game hasn’t changed. Looks much better, but still the same game.

These lies about the Pro need to stop.

:messenger_heart:

And this is why there are so many having emotional breakdowns. It's starting to bridge the gap between consoles and PC AI image scaling.

PSSR will only get better too. No doubt there'll be 2.0 in the PS6!

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

I like how at your convenient they become shill in other threads.
I think this thread has shown that you are an obvious troll. But keep going.

And if you are gonna try and call out someone, its best to at least be honesty and accurate. I never said I will stop posting in DF threads. This is what I said.
I have decided to stop making any commentary on anything Digital Foundry says. I mean, if the dude could arrive at that conclusion, from pixel counting 9 minutes of footage without ever having held the device and two months before the device has been launched... and these are supposed to be the thoughtful, knowledgeable, and professional ones...

Then what's the point?
And that was me speaking about Alex saying some dumb shit about how if you want 60fps games do not get the Pro... If you can't tell the difference between that and saying you will never post in a DF thread... actually, that you can't makes sense.

Kangx

Plus its locked at 60, we dont know how much performance there is left and being capped by Vsync. I dont get this narrative that PSSR is using all the extra 45% gpu power. Maybe devs are just being lazy and changing upscalers and calling it a day.
I would not call the dev lazy. I think that is adequate update mandate by sony. Plus They need time and man power to update other thing like texture quality. And If they update on the Pro they sure as hell update on the base ps5 or they will face backlash.

In the end, this is what most third party devs will do. I believe the Pro machine will shine more in the hands of first party dev compare to third party because of obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Kangx

Imagine paying $800 just to replay a game with higher resolution on the unlocked hard mode and going for your first platinum ever...

I'm imagining it. That's me.
Hey you forgot consistent or locked 60 fps. Most recent ps5 games released from elden ring to space marines, they all seem to have performance issue not just image quality..

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Until we see a game that has an uncapped fps that is using PSSR, measuring the cost of PSSR would be difficult. ANd while it will have a cost, at 2ms that cost would be easily quantifiable. What we are seeing here though, isn't saying all that 45% is going to PSSR. Especially when we can see that the base model, at 60fps, hit GPU bottlenecks sometimes that is mostly nonexistent on the PS5pro.

And if you ask me, this is a major win, not even for the PS5pro, but for where Sony's PSSR is at and what it's capable of reconstructing from 1080p/1180p > 4K. This likely would be reflective of most third-party game use case scenarios, as most third-party devs seem more likely to just slap PSSR on to the base model performance mode. And we know PSSR will get better in time.

I am curious if there is a system wide patch sony can use to replace new versions of PSSR into the games that are built to use it, or if every time its updated the devs have to patch in the new version of PSSR.
Well, we talked about this. 2 ms out of 16.6 ms is basically 12% so if that was the true cost then they wouldve been able to simply up the DRS resolution beyond the 1182p, target no? i think that 2ms number we saw was likely best case scenario. in my own testing on pc a few months ago, it fluctuated from game to game, engine to engine going up to 30% iirc.

remember, just because the cost of pssr is only 2ms, doesnt mean other effects that HAVE to render at 4k wont hit the GPU more.

regardless, its fine. looks almost as good as fidelity so it's doing its job. PSSR will indeed get better. DLSS took 2.5 years to get good and another year to get truly great so maybe by 2026, this thing will be better, but as someone who doesnt even like DLSS 4k performance, i was hoping for them to try and get to 4k pssr quality in every game like they do for tlou2.

bundylove

Hey you forgot consistent or locked 60 fps. Most recent ps5 games released from elden ring to space marines, they all seem to have performance issue not just image quality..
Whoo you just gave me a little pink tickle.

Thats right i can finally play elden ring with a solid framrate and great image quality.

I only out in 10 hours so this will be a great experience for me.

Xtib81

So its basically running 4K PSSR Balanced at 60FPS while looking better than the original fidelity mode, huge win for PSSR here (the temporal instability sucks but is way harder to notice during play imo).
LMAO i knew people would start changing their tune once DF could start doing comparisons. The difference with the original performance mode is MASSIVE.
It is indeed but the performance mode in this game is particularly bad on the base PS5, I think it doesn't even use FSR. We need to see what other games look like. I'm curious about Alan wake 2 or Hogwarts for example.

Last edited:

the_master

As a gamer who lived the progress from NES to Mega Drive to PlayStation to N64 to Dreamcast to Xbox... Seeing people be impressed by a little bit sharper image is weird.

Said so. Would pay big money for FF VII Rebirth

sachos

Ok i take my comment about "people changing their tune about the Pro once DF makes comparisons" back. Some serious people in denial on X, Reddit, YT comments lol.

Last edited:

BigLee74

If the Pro can generally take a 30fps game and turn it into a 60fps game, it’s definitely worth an upgrade. Nothing transforms a game more. Double worth it if you have something big enough to place in front of it to hide it from view.

If the Pro only proves capable of increasing the resolution, then I would suggest a waste of money.

Javi97

Neo Member
Its too early to assume PSSR is taking up the extra 45% compute. These are all old titles and the devs may not have the resources or encouragement to go back and do more.

The end of the video shows Pro has a locked 60fps in combat compared to low 50s of base PS5 witch means theres headroom but we dont know how much.
It's even possible that none of the PS5Pro's additional 14 GPU cores will be used.

Topher

Gold Member
If the Pro can generally take a 30fps game and turn it into a 60fps game, it’s definitely worth an upgrade. Nothing transforms a game more. Double worth it if you have something big enough to place in front of it to hide it from view.

If the Pro only proves capable of increasing the resolution, then I would suggest a waste of money.

I think if it were just a resolution bump then I and many others wouldn't even be talking about it.

Represent. Represent. would have a massive hard on though

TrueLegend

I think this thread has shown that you are an obvious troll. But keep going.

And if you are gonna try and call out someone, its best to at least be honesty and accurate. I never said I will stop posting in DF threads. This is what I said.

And that was me speaking about Alex saying some dumb shit about how if you want 60fps games do not get the Pro... If you can't tell the difference between that and saying you will never post in a DF thread... actually, that you can't makes sense.
Wow tell where I have added words in your mouth. I haven't......You do know we both have post history and it draws a far clear picture. I dont post gifs and I rarely even quote. I only quote if I have to reply to someone who quoted me first and thats my 1000 post history. Your history tells otherwise. So who is the troll here.

Tqaulity

i.e the PS4 Pro in a nutshell :pie_disappointed:

In general, this generation is interesting since almost all PS5 games have a 60fps mode already. So that wouldn't technically be a new innovation on the Pro. However, for the eagle eyed enthusiasts crowds, having that 60fps with much better IQ is a nice bonus that will elevate it over the base PS5. But that will effectively amount to what you just said: a resolution/detail bump.

Also, we may get some more games pushing 120fps as well (GPU bound cases at least).

bundylove

So when I buy one only 350 quid will leave my bank because Sony knows I own a PS5🤔
People keep saying upgrade for 700.

Sounds like you upgrade your ps5 for 700.

THe pro is 350 on top of a regular ps5 so if i would have to decide base or pro then i can say i can add 350 to the price of a base ps5 and get the pro making it a 350 upgrade.

If you buy brand new you dont upgrade anything . You buy a product thats 700.

Javi97

Neo Member
We have image rescaling by AI but where is my texture decompression and Files by AI Sony? I hope that for PS6 we will have negative loading times

Top Bottom