• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT8| DOTA Asian Championship (1/27-2/9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acinixys

I wonder when Battle Furry will actually get a rework pushed, there is evidence in the files that Icefrog has tried at least two different variations of it and shelved them before release. The item is super great on like 4 heroes and pretty mediocre on the rest of the pool.

Do you think it will get an interaction with ranged heros?

It like the only item in the game that is 100% worthless on a ranged carry

Maybe they can change it so it gives cleave to melee and something else to ranged

That would be cool

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Maybe they can change it so it gives cleave to melee and something else to ranged

That would be cool

I get the feeling Icefrog wants to maybe make it more combat focused and less farming focused, but thats just speculation. I mean, its called BATTLE Fury, but people mostly just buy it to farm creeps. Maybe the Cleave could be more potent, but only proc on heroes or something. Though that would leave AM in a tough spot if he lost his ability to quickly farm. But maybe Icefrog could just rework AM also, I can't think of a hero outside of Tinker who is centered around a single item so heavily.

Why is Ehome vs C9 at 5AM, why do you hate me China.

It should be determined if they they're rarely touched because they're weak...or if they're just not flavor of the month. We didn't see heroes like Warlock much until MVP brought sexy back. If not for MVP stylin on people with Warlock, he might have made your list because of being underplayed.

While I agree heroes like Slar need some love, I'm not convinced many of the others do. I think people would just rather play other heroes right now.

You're right, I was mostly focusing on usage. Out of the heroes I mentioned I definitely think CK, DK, KotL, Naix, Sylla, Pugna, Slardar, Tinker, Undying and Ursa are too weak though. Some of them(especially Undying) have been used but to no avail.

Undying is a slippery slope though since his early laning is incredibly strong so you can't just have him be good at everything, but he doesn't really do anything for a team late game unless he's massively farmed(in which case every hero is useful).

I get the feeling Icefrog wants to maybe make it more combat focused and less farming focused, but thats just speculation. I mean, its called BATTLE Fury, but people mostly just buy it to farm creeps. Maybe the Cleave could be more potent, but only proc on heroes or something. Though that would leave AM in a tough spot if he lost his ability to quickly farm. But maybe Icefrog could just rework AM also, I can't think of a hero outside of Tinker who is centered around a single item so heavily.

Why is Ehome vs C9 at 5AM, why do you hate me China.

bfury on am has been slowly going out of vogue for a while now that battlemage is back and people just get like vlads into yasha and shit

Falk

that puzzling face
Well, turning the cleave into an active would change it from a ricing item to a fighting one.

That sounds like a bad idea even on paper though.

Well, turning the cleave into an active would change it from a ricing item to a fighting one.

That sounds like a bad idea even on paper though.

Maybe the solution, then, isn't to force items to work for everyone. Maybe they just need to make a ranged item that buffs ranged farm in a reliable way. Maelstrom is the closest thing but it's proc-dependent, for example. So maybe it's time for a new item of similar price with a passive that only works for range units that is principally for increasing farming (while still being useful in team fights in a limited way like Bfury).

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I wonder when Battle Furry will actually get a rework pushed, there is evidence in the files that Icefrog has tried at least two different variations of it and shelved them before release. The item is super great on like 4 heroes and pretty mediocre on the rest of the pool.

pls no

Maybe the solution, then, isn't to force items to work for everyone. Maybe they just need to make a ranged item that buffs ranged farm in a reliable way. Maelstrom is the closest thing but it's proc-dependent, for example. So maybe it's time for a new item of similar price with a passive that only works for range units that is principally for increasing farming (while still being useful in team fights in a limited way like Bfury).

This. Dota has been like this for ages, plenty of items function like this: diffusal, radiance, shadowblade, etc... That's what makes dota fun, not every item needs to be useful on every hero. But I disagree on an item that buffs ranged farm. Many ranged carries have flash farming built into their skillset (Luna, SF, and Drow to name a few), and like you say, maelstrom already exists and can fill that particular niche.

passives are boring

passives r fun

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!

That would be cool

They could give it a toggle for split-shot or a passive Psi-blade style attack for ranged heroes.

shira

orboffire.gif

Make it like orb of fire, ranged splash damage ftw

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
My PA Scepter idea is that with scepter, each kill gives a permanent attack/move speed buff (Like +20). The idea is if you can farm up enough kills you can ditch your boots for more damage.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
ranged heroes don't really need their own special item because being a ranged hero is already an advantage

Hylian7

Agree with the sentiment that Battle Fury doesn't need a rework.

There doesn't need to be a "ranged Battle Fury" or active for it.

Part of the thing about being a ranged hero is that YOU HAVE RANGE. You have so many advantages a melee hero doesn't have, like kiting, being able to stand further back and have an easier time positioning yourself for optimal farming.

On top of that, for the heroes that do need some kind of flash farming, Maelstrom, Lifesteal, or both do the job pretty well. If Sniper could have a ranged cleave, wouldn't that be just a smidge absurd with his Take Aim attack range?

On top of that, people forget that Battle Fury can be a situational pickup on many melee heroes. Against a Broodmother or PL, and your team doesn't have enough AoE, it isn't usually a bad idea.

Madouu

ruh roh

Can't pretend to be Icefrog without getting the ban hammer. Let this be a lesson to you all.

He got banned for thread whining

Big Dog

Just caught the end of Demon's stream and I think he mentioned something about his team being in the next Summit tournament. I could be wrong on that, but I think I heard him say it. Can't even check the Twitch vod because the audio has been muted for music crap.

YtZH8Dc.png

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just caught the end of Demon's stream and he mentioned something about maybe his team being the next Summit tournament. I could be wrong on that, but I think I heard him say it. Can't even check the Twitch vod because the audio has been muted for music crap.
YtZH8Dc.png

Now to watch Demon end up on the bench.

DrPizza

Banned
I think plenty of non-illusion melee right clickers can use battle fury well enough. The overall stats are decent, giving both mana and health sustain, the damage is decent, and cleave is good for farming, good for summons, good for pushing lanes, and all round valuable.

To me, the item gets a bad rep because reddit hates it for whatever reason. It's like the old Bounty Hunter battle fury. "Oh but you should be farming heroes, not creeps" sure, except it has a win-rate that's decent, you can't farm heroes all the time, you benefit from the sustain... It's a useful item, in general.

It might not be FOTM, but it's still a decent item on PA, Juggernaut, AM, FV, Kunkka, Ember Spirit against any line-up, and additionally on Alchemist, Wraith King, even Lycan, Ursa, Doom, Bounty Hunter, Riki against illusion or summon line-ups.

Hylian7

I think plenty of non-illusion melee right clickers can use battle fury well enough. The overall stats are decent, giving both mana and health sustain, the damage is decent, and cleave is good for farming, good for summons, good for pushing lanes, and all round valuable.

To me, the item gets a bad rep because reddit hates it for whatever reason. It's like the old Bounty Hunter battle fury. "Oh but you should be farming heroes, not creeps" sure, except it has a win-rate that's decent, you can't farm heroes all the time, you benefit from the sustain... It's a useful item, in general.

It might not be FOTM, but it's still a decent item on PA, Juggernaut, AM, FV, Kunkka, Ember Spirit against any line-up, and additionally on Alchemist, Wraith King, even Lycan, Ursa, Doom, Bounty Hunter, Riki against illusion or summon line-ups.

But Bounty Hunter BF is still pretty garbage and you shouldn't build a 4k item on a hero that has an ultimate that is based around getting kills/helping get kills.

Hylian7

This thread is going places.

I'm going to talk about Dota now.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1215141677

Having teammates that communicate all over mics is nice. I think everyone on my team had a mic except for the Mirana, and even he was text chatting consistently. The coordination was beautiful. We attempted a Rosh at one point, and Lifestealer was in there by himself, with the other team coming for him, I zipped in, he infested, and I got out. God it was a good game. For some reason the other team's LC called GG at 10 minutes when they were one kill behind us. I have no idea why honestly.

Night_Hand

Neo Member
I don't understand how banning works here. Like Steve made an on topic post where most of us assume he is joking and he got banned, but there are half a dozen off-topic posts and they are just looked over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom