• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT8| DOTA Asian Championship (1/27-2/9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kade

The Year Beast will probably be like the statues and big dudes in Heroes of the Storm where you have to do something for it to respect you and it will work for the team it respects.

domstah

Can somebody pls help me with voice chat

I only really play with one person, so balls to paying for a Mumble server. Is there no Party Chat system on Steam? I don't want the team to hear everything we say, so I need a programme which lets us talk, without interfering with game audio.

Can Skype run as an overlap like that?

Pay for a mumble server? What is that nonsense? There are a million empty ones ... just borrow one of those.

Quesa

I just wanna say that "Big Goooooooood" is/was an incredible team name and I'm sad to see it go (assuming it disbands cuz of Burning/Xiao8 leaving).

Pay for a mumble server? What is that nonsense? There are a million empty ones ... just borrow one of those.

Aren't they password protected, or you can be kicked out by the owner, or someone else random can join at any moment?

Think I've figured out how to get Steam Voice Chat working, gonna try it later

Should hopefully make it much easier for teamwork.

abunai

If either a local mumble or GAF mumble doesn't suit, i have room on a smaller mumble server that my friends and i use for games.

same goes for anyone else in dotagaf (if gaf mumble goes down or whatever)

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The Year Beast will probably be like the statues and big dudes in Heroes of the Storm where you have to do something for it to respect you and it will work for the team it respects.
And everyone will ignore it just like they do the Dragon Shrine.

I just realized that changing "Day 1" to "Part 1" probably means no website update today.

Night_Hand

Neo Member
Aren't they password protected, or you can be kicked out by the owner, or someone else random can join at any moment?

Mumble is so weird. Despite my friend's server not being listed publicly, people can still join it. So yes random people can join at any time if it isn't password protected. Also, randoms will usually get kicked almost immediately. Better to buy your own mumble server

Manus

Me and my group use Dolby Axon. Seems to work pretty well. Sets up a permanent chat room people who are invited can always join plus it's free.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
heroes getting arcanas while poor Jakiro still isn't broken down

Seriously, they also need to remodel Viper, Zeus, and Slar already. These heroes look like complete ass, especially Slardar; dude was a badass fkn Naga (that looked intimidating and lethal) in wc3, but now he's a fat pink fish with a goddam bobble on his head it's fucking awful. If there's one hero I can't play just because of how bad he looks, it's Slardar. Might as well give him a beard and Santa hat for the next Christmas event, and you basically have a perfect fuckin Fish Claus.

Hylian7

Seriously, they also need to remodel Viper, Zeus, and Slar already. These heroes look like complete ass, especially Slardar; dude was a badass fkn Naga (that looked intimidating and lethal) in wc3, but now he's a fat pink fish with a goddam bobble on his head it's fucking awful. If there's one hero I can't play just because of how bad he looks, it's Slardar. Might as well throw a beard on him and a Christmas hat for the next Christmas event, and you basically have fuckin Fish Claus.

Slardar actually got remodeled like two years ago actually...

Night_Hand

Neo Member
I think zeus is supposed to be all puny and stuff because its displaying the hero according to his lore; a mortal with a napoleon complex/ god complex. He's supposed to be laughable because he isn't a god but instead a lightning mario

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I think zeus is supposed to be all puny and stuff because its displaying the hero according to his lore; a mortal with a napoleon complex/ god complex. He's supposed to be laughable because he isn't a god but instead a lightning mario

screw the lore, i want motherfukn zeus man:

Zeus_Jupiter_Greek_God_Art_14_by_donquijote10.jpg

inkls

at least textures, model isn't that bad. Dont want stereotypical zeus anyway

Madouu

Think I've figured out how to get Steam Voice Chat working, gonna try it later

Should hopefully make it much easier for teamwork.

We just use skype... it does the job.

Acinixys

Seriously, they also need to remodel Viper, Zeus, and Slar already. These heroes look like complete ass, especially Slardar; dude was a badass fkn Naga (that looked intimidating and lethal) in wc3, but now he's a fat pink fish with a goddam bobble on his head it's fucking awful. If there's one hero I can't play just because of how bad he looks, it's Slardar. Might as well give him a beard and Santa hat for the next Christmas event, and you basically have a perfect fuckin Fish Claus.

The most annoying part of Slardars model is the fact that you can SEE its a place holder because every time he takes a breath this lower jaw clips like 1/2 way into his chest

Also if you want a chat program just use Team Speak

They even have a global server that you can make your own temp channel in

Hylian7

I really want more of the "crazy" Dota 1 to 2 conversions, in the vein of Rubick, Oracle, and Legion Commander. Those three are easily the best "Let's make this even better than the original" designs in the game. I remember when we first saw concept art for Rubick and were like "Who is that?!" and someone said it was Rubick and everyone was shocked. Oracle's design is fantastic, and LC being changed to a woman proved to have amazing results.

manfestival

I really want more of the "crazy" Dota 1 to 2 conversions, in the vein of Rubick, Oracle, and Legion Commander. Those three are easily the best "Let's make this even better than the original" designs in the game. I remember when we first saw concept art for Rubick and were like "Who is that?!" and someone said it was Rubick and everyone was shocked. Oracle's design is fantastic, and LC being changed to a woman proved to have amazing results.

I really feel the same way for the most part. I love rubick and oracles designs for being out there. While I am indifferent about LC being changed to a different gender, I feel like her design could have been better. Granted I feel like riot has way better concept artists(no im not talking about the goofy skins)

oh and I initially hated how oracle looked at first but he grew on me

Night_Hand

Neo Member

I'm not a big fan of Oracle. He doesn't feel like future-telling prophet but more like spooky outer space creature

KingKong

LC had awesome concept art design but they went with the worst one. someone needs to make a set like the one on the left, the forward spike helmet is so cool

201c2_u1LDcT5h.png

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Looks really good but he basically Web 4.0'd DOTA.

I would love to see it in the game but there is nothing that particularly sets his design apart from... other modern websites I've seen.

At least there isn't some parallax scrolling effect that is all the rage these days.

screw the lore, i want motherfukn zeus man:

Zeus_Jupiter_Greek_God_Art_14_by_donquijote10.jpg

Mark my words: sooner or later they'll do one of those comic strip-style relaunches of Zeus like they did for PA, where he regains his godly looks and height and they introduce the updated character model, broken down for artists to make sweet shit for him + arcana.

I refuse to believe Valve will let Zeus look like a poor man's Mario for much longer. HE'S FUCKING ZEUS.

Saw this on reddit. Thoughts?

YES.

Randdalf

Saw this on reddit. Thoughts?

Don't really like it that much. It looks nice, but it would not just be a literal ton of work to implement, it just doesn't fit the tone of the game. It's also nice looking slick in concept art, but actually implementing it is another matter entirely. However, there are some nice ideas in the functional design (like hovering over a friend to see their KDA, similar ideas have been mentioned before).

abunai

The menus look very clean, and it's a well made mock-up (although probably a bit too flat for my tastes) but in-game looks really bad. The vignette effect on the screen is really distracting. The spacing between interface elements makes it look like a bad custom UI from WoW circa 2006.

Don't really like it that much. It looks nice, but it would not just be a literal ton of work to implement, it just doesn't fit the tone of the game. It's also nice looking slick in concept art, but actually implementing it is another matter entirely. However, there are some nice ideas in the functional design (like hovering over a friend to see their KDA, similar ideas have been mentioned before).

why are you worried about how much time it might or might not take to implement? that's not our job and a professional team of developers don't need you covering and excuse-making for them. "it might be hard" is not a valid excuse to decline better UI design. The UI has looked like this at the main menu and in-game for about 3 years now and they both need updates badly. The main menu wastes too much space and the in-game UI is bigger and bulkier than it ever needed to be. It could shrink by 30% and everyone would appreciate the reclaimed space.

also, I'm sure some faded rocks or some shit can be added to better fit the tone of the game as necessary.

Take notes, Valve. Even Leeg has a better looking landing screen that Dota 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom