• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA had a fantastic 2013, huh?

2013 was the year where I made a vow to never buy another EA game ever again thanks to the pile of expected disappointment that was Dead Space 3. Plan is going well, except that Mirror's Edge 2 might be coming soon.

2013 was the year where I made a vow to never buy another EA game ever again thanks to the pile of expected disappointment that was Dead Space 3. Plan is going well, except that Mirror's Edge 2 might be coming soon.

Don't make such stupid vows. If they release a crappy game with bugs, don't buy it. If they release something great, buy it. If EA was a mega-corporation bent on world domination with Stalin as CEO , I would swear off buying their products. But that's not the case. It's already ridiculous enough that they were voted the worst company in America over something like Monsanto. If anything, swearing off their games altogether is horrible since most people will continue to buy their crappy anyways (e.g. Battlefield 4) and more creative games will get ignored by the more core audience.

Elsolar

I bought BF4 at launch because I'm a huge DICE fanboy. Their games are pretty much the only EA games I buy nowadays, and I like to think think I know what I'm getting myself into when I buy an EA product. But man, BF4's launch was really something else. I personally didn't experience too many problems, but seeing the game and premium going for 50% off a few weeks ago when I knew that there were STILL tons of people who couldn't get into multiplayer games despite dropping $120 on the game before launch was disgusting. EA really needs to get their shit together, they managed to tick off someone who was EXPECTING a rough launch.

Arondight

It's amazing that despite claiming to change, they've gone even worse than previous years and what was probably a more contested title of worst game company in America a few years back isn't even contested anymore. Just how the heck do you even go backwards in this regard.

It's also amazing how these games gained higher than 70+ in ratings on average.

Good, the sooner we stop being shit games the better. DS3/SimCity and the whole B4 thing has just been disappointing.

Even if I really want Mirror's Edge 2 too

border

I would gladly...GLADLY...pay $20 for a PvZ2 that didn't involve microtransactions rather than get it for free. cmonson.gif

Or you could just take the free copy of PvZ2 and not buy any of the completely superfluous and unnecessary stuff they are selling. But why be reasonable?

Don't make such stupid vows. If they release a crappy game with bugs, don't buy it. If they release something great, buy it. If EA was a mega-corporation bent on world domination with Stalin as CEO , I would swear off buying their products. But that's not the case. It's already ridiculous enough that they were voted the worst company in America over something like Monsanto. If anything, swearing off their games altogether is horrible since most people will continue to buy their crappy anyways (e.g. Battlefield 4) and more creative games will get ignored by the more core audience.

You're right in the area of "it's going to be hard to continue this vow in the coming years," But I'm just not interested in their games at all. It's hard to trust a company when all they've ever been doing recently is destroying all your favorite franchises. It's a lot easier vow to continue then say Capcom, which I know some people who are doing that. They're nuts.

Still not the "worst company on America" but yeah, they had a poor year in releases. Two of their big releases, Crysis 3 and DS3, passed without glory, and the other big one, BF4, it's super buggy, even after one month, in both pc and consoles. After that we have the Sim City fiasco.

Ogimachi

Even considering that list - which is undoubtedly extensive and doesn't include the gay controversy on SWTOR- I don't think they deserve the title again. They've introduced 24-hour refunds with no questions asked on Origin, something I can't see Valve doing, and donated millions of dollars to charity.
Microsoft takes the crown, if you ask me.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Or you could just take the free copy of PvZ2 and not buy any of the completely superfluous and unnecessary stuff they are selling. But why be reasonable?
You're acting as if the game is being given away free with no strings attached.

The entire economy and gameplay has been shifted to a f2p one. That works for some games (had a blast with Clash of Clans and Boom Beach), but I have no interest in a f2p PvZ game.

Opiate

Out of curiosity, which major publishers do people like? EA is obviously not well liked. Activision also gets a great deal of criticism. What about Ubisoft? Take 2? What about major Japanese publishers like Capcom? SquareEnix? Sega?

FStop7

Banned
It may not meet the legal definition of "fraud" but when you charge people ~$60US for a product, sell millions of it, it's fundamentally broken, and little or no effort to fix is made in a reasonable amount of time... Then legal questions should be asked. We're talking hundreds of millions of dollars, collectively.

Roshin

The point of a game is not "I managed to get through all of it without paying anything", but to have fun. The first PvZ was fun to play, the second had been completely redesigned with F2P and microtransactions in mind. I barely even consider it a proper game.

kmax

Out of curiosity, which major publishers do people like? EA is obviously not well liked. Activision also gets a great deal of criticism. What about Ubisoft? Take 2?

Take 2 and Sony are the two best publishers for developers, in my opinion. A wealth of resources that lets their developers develop a game until it's actually ready to go.

Mman235

Mirror's Edge 2 with an empty open world that you mostly just run across full of inane "side-quests" and skinner boxes, skill-less auto-platforming, much more forced combat that requires flow-breaking moves, story just as bad but forced down your throat more, pay4fastertimes, tons of gamebreaking bugs

Day 1 my preorder is ready shutupandtakemymoney.jpg.

If I imagine the worst it can't be that bad, can it?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Take 2 and Sony are the two best publishers for developers, in my opinion. A wealth of resources that lets their developers develop a game until it's actually ready to go.
I agree with this and would add Ubisoft to the list. It's definitely top 3 to me.

border

The entire economy and gameplay has been shifted to a f2p one.

What are you talking about? How has the gameplay changed?

You can use money to unlock a few additional plants or fund some pointless one-time cheat attacks. There is no in-game economy, aside from the coins used to buy cheat moves. It's easy to beat the game without any of that stuff though. I've spent nothing and have progressed quite comfortably.

The point of a game is not "I managed to get through all of it without paying anything", but to have fun. The first PvZ was fun to play, the second had been completely redesigned with F2P and microtransactions in mind. I barely even consider it a proper game.

This is just nonsense. The game is exactly as fun as the first. The only point in mentioning "I beat it without paying" is to address the people crying about the dumb F2P stuff.....most of whom didn't even play it in the first place. The Premium plants are not particularly useful and the battles are not designed around the use of coin attacks.

Stop buying their games, people.
I totally have and my brain grew three sizes.
Out of curiosity, which major publishers do people like? EA is obviously not well liked. Activision also gets a great deal of criticism. What about Ubisoft? Take 2? What about major Japanese publishers like Capcom? SquareEnix? Sega?

Basically almost all major publishers have a history of doing a disgusting business plan that screws up a lot of their rep recently. So I got nothing.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
What are you talking about? How has the gameplay changed?

You can use money to unlock a few additional plants or fund some pointless one-time cheat attacks. There is no in-game economy, aside from the coins used to buy cheat moves. It's easy to beat the game without any of that stuff though. I've spent nothing and have progressed quite comfortably.
I just have one question...have you had to replay a level you've beaten previously in order to get more items/money/keys?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I got a bunch of the only games I care about from them for like 6 bucks on humblebundle. They won't be receiving any more of my money, sans another humblebundle-like deal. Go fuck yourself, EA.

Abounder

Banned
And shareholders might open a lawsuit against EA specifically against Battlefield 4: http://kotaku.com/battlefield-4-problems-have-shareholder-law-firm-thinki-1481190819

The very fact that NBA Live is a $60 game grinds my gears

Even considering that list - which is undoubtedly extensive and doesn't include the gay controversy on SWTOR- I don't think they deserve the title again. They've introduced 24-hour refunds with no questions asked on Origin, something I can't see Valve doing, and donated millions of dollars to charity.
Microsoft takes the crown, if you ask me.

I'd vote for Google/Youtube instead but none of these companies are really the worst in the USA

border

I just have one question...have you had to replay a level you've beaten previously in order to get more items/money/keys?

Having to play the game to progress in it is generally acceptable for games of all types. But that said:

Money/coins are not needed in PvZ2. You can use them for the mega-attacks but they're rarely necessary. I have 66,000 coins and nothing to spend them on.

Items -- what items? Progression upgrades like extra seed slots and plant food slots are given to you, but also purchasable.

Keys/gates -- no longer really exist. Map is a straight progression rather than multi-pathed. Beat all stages in a world once and you go to the next one. You can buy an unlock key for $5, but again it's needless.

As someone who used to love EA games and thought they made some of the best in the industry, watching them not make any effort to improve year after year, and arguably get worse, is incredibly disappointing.

Lkr

Capcom is fine by me when they localize the AA games. Nintendo and Sony are probably the publishers I bitch about the least, followed by Microsoft Game Studios

I don't really boycott EA but they make it very easy to ignore their games. I'm looking at their 2013 releases and it's the most uninspiring and depressing lineup in recent memory. Can't even laugh about it, it's just sad that this is one of the biggest publishers in the industry.

Sentenza

I don't really boycott EA but they make it very easy to ignore their games.
That's precisely how I feel about them.
Well, maybe except for Battlefield 4, which I would have bought, if it had any chance to run on my system.
Still, listening to some of my friends it sounds almost like I dodged a bullet, as the game is apparently a mess right now.

kswiston

I'd probably pick Sega and Take2 of the third party publishers. After that, Ubisoft. I'm sort of neutral on Activision because they don't publish much that I am interested in, outside of Blizzard's titles. Capcom, Konami, Square-Enix, and EA seem dead set on ruining everything I love though.

I don't play EA/Ubi/Acti games, not because of boycott or anything... because they all look boring, except for Rayman Legends which I should buy soon.

On the Japanese side I don't like the big guys, even if technically I'm an Atlus fan so now I gotta buy Sega games, haha.

Derrick01

Banned

Take Two and Sony are pretty good, although I don't know who's to blame for how horrible GTA Online was. Usually that kind of awful F2P-like design to force people to buy microtransactions would be a publisher choice but Rockstar's so huge it could have easily been their choice.

EA, Activision, Ubisoft and Square-Eidos are all atrocious for various reasons.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Having to play the game to progress in it is generally acceptable for games of all types. But that said:

Money/coins are not needed in PvZ2. You can use them for the mega-attacks but they're rarely necessary. I have 66,000 coins and nothing to spend them on.

Items -- what items? Progression upgrades like extra seed slots and plant food slots are given to you, but also purchasable.

Keys/gates -- no longer really exist. Map is a straight progression rather than multi-pathed. Beat all stages in a world once and you go to the next one. You can buy an unlock key for $5, but again it's needless.
Then that's very different than when it first launched.

Still zero interest in the game but good to hear they did something about the awful grind.

Vibranium

Banned
Battlefront by DICE/and the other Star Wars games are tempting (who knows if they'll be buggy messes though)... sigh. I've only bought the Humble Bundle from EA to support charity though. They did some good things in that aspect but continued to not give a shit about launches so I'm staying away.

There are so many people way out of touch with reality in this thread. Because a publisher does a shit job at everything publishers are supposed to be at least decent at, does NOT make them the worst company in the United States.

Are there people here who really believe that EA is worse than Monsanto? Microsoft is worse than De Beers? Walmart?

EA and Microsoft are not the definition of honesty and integrity, but holy hell, there is much worse out there.

I wasn't aware of this. That's fucking awful that they didn't let them know

Not only did they not let them know. Apparently they didn't want to be exclusive on Xbox and PC. Only for launch was what they wanted

There are so many people way out of touch with reality in this thread. Because a publisher does a shit job at everything publishers are supposed to be at least decent at, does NOT make them the worst company in the United States.

Are there people here who really believe that EA is worse than Monsanto? Microsoft is worse than De Beers? Walmart?

EA and Microsoft are not the definition of honesty and integrity, but holy hell, there is much worse out there.

Yes of course there are worse companies out there but that still doesn't excuse MS and EA. This is all in the context of gaming of course

Vibranium

Banned
Is there some sort of "Worst Videogame Publisher/Developer in America" award? This would allow us to keeping sending EA the message without interfering with the other poll where there are definitely tons of worse corporations that deserve it.

Top Bottom