• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alur

4 PM EST has come and gone. The promised announcement has not been announced. Vandy is late.

HjQ9tXv.jpg

You jealous bbgurl?

Zackat

Isn't the random portrait the same as the one for the first Blizzcon virtual ticket rewards?

I think he meant the loading screen portrait. So instead of showing as a random hero it actually shows your randomized hero. I am guessing it didn't do that before this patch, and instead showed you chose random.

Alur

Yeah I know. The hero it showed was just a bigger version of that portrait. Found an image in my screenshots from PTR:

pWGWlgM.jpg

Alur

They took my money both years. They pretty much take my money when they want, though. I simultaneously love and loathe them.

Milly79

I wish I had that horse. The most desired mount in the game for me.

Sucks this years Dorm participation portrait is tied to your account automatically. I guess my friend at UT Knoxville
*cough* Roflcopter *cough*
can't give it to me this year.

MattyG

Banned
I just played my first two matches and I love it. DOTA 2 and LoL never clicked for me, but this has. I only had one person shit talk; they told me to attack the enemy immortal (I still don't get that game mode totally), I was too slow and they called me a noob. I said it was only my second game and he said "then go play against AI".

We ended up winning largely because of an opportunity I opened up for the team. So I felt pretty good about that.

Anyways, are there any guides I should read or tips I should know that aren't super obvious or explained anywhere? I feel like I get the basics, but there's a lot of intricacies I'm missing.

Alur

19. Co-owner of Naventic. Two hours late with roster announcement. I don't know why I care but I do.

RIP Vandy, that Robitussin rekt your soul. It was a good run. 2016-2016.

I can't look at Hotslogs, down that path leads madness. Just had a real shitter of a match and the worst player on the team, like I thought they were brand new they were feeding and playing so badly, was apparently the highest MMR. I know the math is fuzzy but holy fuck.

I'm apparently Quick Match Platinum, which sounds like I'm the prettiest ugly girl at the beauty pageant, so this is a good as it gets. I guess I need to start playing HL.

Maximus.

I just played my first two matches and I love it. DOTA 2 and LoL never clicked for me, but this has. I only had one person shit talk; they told me to attack the enemy immortal (I still don't get that game mode totally), I was too slow and they called me a noob. I said it was only my second game and he said "then go play against AI".

We ended up winning largely because of an opportunity I opened up for the team. So I felt pretty good about that.

Anyways, are there any guides I should read or tips I should know that aren't super obvious or explained anywhere? I feel like I get the basics, but there's a lot of intricacies I'm missing.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MFPallytime

I feel MFPallytime is a good place to start to learn the game and characters.

I may be forgetting 3 different buttons on piano uther at any time but he's still tons of fun to play. After 3 losses in a row and a game that already seemed lost at the start we bodied them. Feels good. They got 2 or 3 turn ins in BHB for free and a boss when we somehow got our shit together and started fighting for real. The match ended 27-12 in our favour and wasn't even close.

I'm never gonna get out of scrub ranks but I find enjoyment in it at least.

Zackat

Use this website http://www.hotsbuilds.info/ for builds. It pulls from a lot of the major players like hotslogs (don't tell Brawndo, he'll get mathematical on your ass). MFPallytime is great, as well as the heroes subreddit.

Alur

If you can't beat them on the field...

Is it really, though? It was one tournament, not a major one, and both teams admitted to caring very little for what happened in it. Beyond that, Team Blaze has never won anything against NVT to my knowledge. Then there's the fact that bige himself made the move, so clearly HE doesn't think "they can't beat them" otherwise he'd have bought into the hype that his current team really was #2, no?

And, honestly, even if it was a "if you can't beat them, join/recruit them" style thing...how is that any different than plenty of previous roster swaps in HOTS? EU rosterpocalypse has been all about sniping players from competing rosters, and was the same last year as well. C9 cannibalized it's whole b-team (which was 4th in NA) just to get past Tempo Storm finally. If there's an upward move available you pretty much have to do it before someone else does.

why are you supporting my point yet starting with uhm? I meant Naventic crippling Blaze since they can't beat them fairly.

I see though how it could be laid out as short form for "If you can't beat them, join them" an easy mix up caused by me not being of english mother tongue. The comment was pretty much just a continuation of something I said earlier in the day.

Is it really, though? It was one tournament, not a major one, and both teams admitted to caring very little for what happened in it. Beyond that, Team Blaze has never won anything against NVT to my knowledge. Then there's the fact that bige himself made the move, so clearly HE doesn't think "they can't beat them" otherwise he'd have bought into the hype that his current team really was #2, no?

And, honestly, even if it was a "if you can't beat them, join/recruit them" style thing...how is that any different than plenty of previous roster swaps in HOTS? EU rosterpocalypse has been all about sniping players from competing rosters, and was the same last year as well. C9 cannibalized it's whole b-team (which was 4th in NA) just to get past Tempo Storm finally. If there's an upward move available you pretty much have to do it before someone else does.

It's part being facetious, part serious, part just disappointed there might be going a top contender and part trolling. It's fairly obvious and understandable why he switched and I wouldn't blame him.

Navi Dig was a straight up on the table deal negotiated after the players expressed their desires for all we know, unlike this which does have a bit of a behind others backs feel, but everything since was a shitshow me and other EU players were rather outspoken on.

C9 merging was disappointing as well, Vortex used to shake up new patches. Illidan + Aba was a glorious tournament

Alur

Zunatank confirmed. Now if he Zunafeeds, it's on his on brother.

Having replaced warrior player Erho with bigempct, a top-tier ranged assassin, the team will need to shift roles around. The team said that Chris "Zuna" Buechter will take over as the team's warrior player.

Zuna doesn't seem daunted by the prospect. Rather, as the team's shotcaller, he thinks it could be a boon. "I feel for a shotcaller being a warrior is a huge thing, because you're the one that initiates fights, or you're part of the main roaming squad in the beginning," he said.

brian!

Got eviscerated in the aram semifinal

Illidan artanis zagara monk greymane
Vs. Falstad azmo hammer johanna rehgar

Dunno if id play again, everyone was really chill and cool but i hate having to standby my computer for games or feel like i have to keep playing more when i dont want to lol

Also neogaf down on my lappy but not my phone?
oh nm it's working now

brian!

just a couple of randoms + my bruh
also gale force esports participated and lost immediately lol, tuff times for that team

Cerato

Neo Member
To the new guy who has played two games:

I've played about 1000, and people on my team tell me what I should have done all the time. Usually, they tell me I should have charged into that 2v5 with them.

And these are people who have played hundreds of games. So. You can always get better. And the people who complain loudest are usually noobs.

Have fun. If anyone is a jerk, mute them.

Alur

I am 4-12 in my last 16 games in QM on my main. 0-4 in my last 4 on my alt. Been a good run, I gotta say. C'mon Blizz, time for the luck to turn breh.

Maledict

No portrait for me... ;-(

And just watcing LiquidCris's stream - their random hero league game has 5 pro's in it. Snitch, Cris, Jaypl, Aethoro, Shihu. That's one how powered hero league game!

Milly79

just a couple of randoms + my bruh
also gale force esports participated and lost immediately lol, tuff times for that team

Was it actually competitive? Or was it like the shit shows ARAM usually is?

Portraits for the Spring Championships are going out boys.

Nice, hope I got it. No way I shouldn't have watching it on PC, phone and ps4 at different times.

No portrait for me... ;-(

And just watcing LiquidCris's stream - their random hero league game has 5 pro's in it. Snitch, Cris, Jaypl, Aethoro, Shihu. That's one how powered hero league game!

C9 was out last night for a bit in HL. Didn't see any other pros though. Just regular ladder dudes. Hopefully they'll start showing up more...

Alur

I do think some of the players are at Heroes of the Dorm, particularly since the schedule was changed. I know Glaurung, for example, goes to a lot of them (Glaurung and Mac are streaming now, though). Maybe that's part of it.

That said, I'm skeptical that we'll see them en masse on the ladder before Grand Master, and honestly skeptical that we'll see them after that because it seems like then it will be another excuse. They seem unable to grasp that EU pros are playing more than them, and Korean pros are playing way more than them and that it ultimately hurts their growth by not playing the game more. They also clearly haven't looked too hard at other games, like League of Legends and their pros, whom you can see streaming and playing constantly (and I'm sure make some decent money at streaming to boot, which you'd think a few HOTS pros would want).

I don't quite get what the mental block or whatever is for NA and playing the game outside of scrims. I think part of it is laziness/apathy and part of it is the fact that many of these guys truly believe they are the best in their role. I also get the impression that most of them don't really like the actual game. Particularly the version of the game the rest of us play when these pros are forced to be on a team with randoms without the communication they are used to and therefore are unable to carry the game solo/duo. And ultimately, once the structure of their team is taken away, they can be beaten on ladder by random players with similar MMR whom they by and large dismiss often as lesser (happened plenty of times in THH). I think it bothers some of those players when they are streaming and get the cat-calls from the cheap seats of Twitch chat over losing to people like Lightknite and chu8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom