• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian!

Wish i knew first bhb turn-in is very low in value unless you destroy a mid turret first (or put more than half health dmg on it? Dont remember)

chiliboy

I wish I understood how important soaking experience was, and when NOT to team fight. For instance, if your team is level 9 and they're level 10 and an objective pops up... don't go to it because you will die. Go soak experience in a lane and get your team to 10. Also, if you're playing a tank, don't use your only escape as an initiator unless you have a massive advantage.

Great tips :) thanks!

Wish i knew first bhb turn-in is very low in value unless you destroy a mid turret first (or put more than half health dmg on it? Dont remember)

that is the bay map? with the pirates? :)

Maledict

Yeah. If you do half damage to one of the towers your first turn in will destroy the fort, which means you get a lot more value from it.

brian!

Plus your next turn in will cost more to just get what you would have gotten before and another half wall if you dont get the inital keep

Another thing is a willingness to use first objectives to gain a lead. I dont necesarily recommend newer players not to just group w/ ur team and push when an objective is taken since it's fun and prob not that horrendouz if you are starting out, just know it is inefficient and dangerous. Like cursed hallow for example is a pretty dangerous map to group as 5 if you dont have a talent or person lead at the time, and again, inefficient, like ull see your winrate go up if you even just valla w a wave by yourself first and then meet your team. One big thing for cursed is to try to not let the enemy team get all the amassed exp from a curse by either pressuring something hard (all-in a lane together while your minion waves die off to structures) or getting something safe and valuable like a boss where the enemy team isnt close

chiliboy

Yeah. If you do half damage to one of the towers your first turn in will destroy the fort, which means you get a lot more value from it.

Plus your next turn in will cost more to just get what you would have gotten before and another half wall if you dont get the inital keep

Another thing is a willingness to use first objectives to gain a lead. I dont necesarily recommend newer players not to just group w/ ur team and push when an objective is taken since it's fun and prob not that horrendouz if you are starting out, just know it is inefficient and dangerous. Like cursed hallow for example is a pretty dangerous map to group as 5 if you dont have a talent or person lead at the time, and again, inefficient, like ull see your winrate go up if you even just valla w a wave by yourself first and then meet your team. One big thing for cursed is to try to not let the enemy team get all the amassed exp from a curse by either pressuring something hard (all-in a lane together while your minion waves die off to structures) or getting something safe and valuable like a boss where the enemy team isnt close

Okay those are great :D Hadn't thought about any of that at all! thanks so much

brian!

Yeap np, also remember the lvl power spikes (4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 20) and the only real "currency" (shared exp)

But also reserve ur expectations w/r/t ur team being aware of certain things and try to find a mix of dumb and smart things that make the game fun for you

Alavard

Mmmm, gotta love those HL matches where the enemy team takes no Support and Artanis as their only warrior, while we take ETC, Diablo, and Rehgar. Slaughtered them good.

bizzle

Neo Member
Great tips :) thanks!

that is the bay map? with the pirates? :)
Just realize that simply knowing a tip like that isn't going to net much value for the most part since you'll either be arguing with people about why you aren't turning in your coins or taking a heap of grief from your team if you or anyone happens to lose your coins while you're saving them until the optimal time.

So regardless of what people share with you in this thread, the best tip is that it's far better for 5 people to be doing the wrong thing together than 1 person to be doing the right thing alone.

Maledict

Also, and this was a really hard lesson for me to learn as a former raid leader:

It is better to do something stupid as 5 than something clever as 1.

If your group does something, even if you know it's wrong, generally the best option is to go with them. By all means try to persuade them otherwise (if you are the tank you can do this quite well), but generally it's a team game. Also don't insult them in chat when they do something dumb - no-one ever performs better when being publicly mocked.

Far more so than any other moba, you live and die as 5.

chiliboy

Yeap np, also remember the lvl power spikes (4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 20) and the only real "currency" (shared exp)

But also reserve ur expectations w/r/t ur team being aware of certain things and try to find a mix of dumb and smart things that make the game fun for you

Just realize that simply knowing a tip like that isn't going to net much value for the most part since you'll either be arguing with people about why you aren't turning in your coins or taking a heap of grief from your team if you or anyone happens to lose your coins while you're saving them until the optimal time.

So regardless of what people share with you in this thread, the best tip is that it's far better for 5 people to be doing the wrong thing together than 1 person to be doing the right thing alone.

Yeah you have to develop muscle memory first and then make sense of what works and what doesnt

Also, and this was a really hard lesson for me to learn as a former raid leader:

It is better to do something stupid as 5 than something clever as 1.

If your group does something, even if you know it's wrong, generally the best option is to go with them. By all means try to persuade them otherwise (if you are the tank you can do this quite well), but generally it's a team game. Also don't insult them in chat when they do something dumb - no-one ever performs better when being publicly mocked.

Far more so than any other moba, you live and die as 5.

Okay so teamwork over all basically, even if the team is doing it wrong and doesn't listen in chat?

is there any group of EU gaffers that play together regularly?

Alur

So Azmodunk tomorrow, Tracer next Tuesday, then ???? right? I would assume with Overwatch officially launching the 24th that we might see another Overwatch hero on May 10th/17th, and possibly one more after that since they seem to like their three-pack releases.

On the other hand, the Warcraft movie drops on June 10th and I guess they'd want some kind of tie-in or promotion with it? That would mean we'd only get one more hero before that time after Tracer. What characters are even in the Warcraft movie? Literally all I know about it is there was drama over Paula Patton's character and that the Vikings dude is in it.

EDIT: Looks like Doomhammer and Garrosh are in it, as is Varian and Paula is Garona. Garona would be sweet. And Gul'dan, nice.

Not Garrosh...Grommash huehue

Alur

Derp, yeah, Grommash :p.

Shouldn't Medivh also be in it?

I believe he is. Says Ben Foster is playing him.

Okay so teamwork over all basically, even if the team is doing it wrong and doesn't listen in chat?

Typically the more you type in chat, the worse things will go. People take it the wrong way, or tell you that you are wrong, etc etc. It's best to avoid typing anything but good job, good luck have fun, and so forth in my experience.

But yes, if the team is gonna suicide as 4 into 5 while you do something else and they won't listen to pings, then you kind of have to go even though it's not a smart move. 4 v 5 they wipe and you are in a deep hole. 5 v 5 at least you have a chance.

brian!

is there any group of EU gaffers that play together regularly?

Its really something youll have to go out and see for yourself, sticking w/ team decision above all else is kind of hyperbole but itll make more sense as you play more.

Alur

Well, at least one person got the message from the Korean HOTS massacre:

McIntyre said:
McIntyrelol: so like reading chat and trolling is going to be at a minimum
McIntyrelol: obviously when I'm in queue and stuff it's different
McIntyrelol: but
fraxure115: all good
McIntyrelol: I want to be the best melee in NA
Tastyqt: What team are you currently on?
McIntyrelol: and the only way to do that is practice
fraxure115: u already are mac
Teokin: World*
castif: @Mcintyrelol .. why do you have a dorm portrait?
McIntyrelol: I don
McIntyrelol: t think that I am
Lameosaurus: =)
Brylee_TV: @Mcintyrelol for that, you would actually have to queue 4Head EleGiggle mcinW
McIntyrelol: so I need to practice harder
Lameosaurus: brother Mac you're op
fraxure115: @McIntyrelol great attitude dude, thats how u become the best, keep up the good work

A little later he said he felt had a good Illidan, Sonya, and Kerrigan, but he needed to become better at Zera and Thrall among others. Also said he will no longer play Greymane for the team, that'll be someone else.

Good to see him diving in so hard. Hope the rest of the team is as well.

Alur

Yep, Rentaro. She was needling him about Fan playing Zera instead.

I want to see it. Mainly because I never played any Warcraft games outside of WoW and I hardly followed the lore.

I want to see it because of the countless hours I spent on that game in my early adult years. I still get the nostalgia pings to play it sometimes. I hope they do tie-in somehow, though I would honestly rather have 3 Overwatch heroes than 2 OW and more Warcraft if that's how it pans out. Just sucks they are kinda back to back releases like that.

Okay this is funny

i1HNTmY.jpg

What's so difficult about hitting the print screen button? It's literally its own button.

brian!

What heroes have we seen bigempct play anyway? I struggle to remember any specifics.

Dunno blaze always existed as a singular entity in my head, i only know yuuj plays support, bige will be playing ranged tho so gmane will be on him unless fan does it. I hope nvt doesnt sleep on dehaka and has someone learn him.

Maledict

From memory on THH they said that they all played all heroes.

Also, just to say, the latest State of the Nexus was fantastic. That really is *the* place to go for proper Heroes e-sports discussion right now. Dread, Bakery and Khaelaris bring so much to the table - and Grubby was a fantastic guest.

Alur

I hope nvt doesnt sleep on dehaka and has someone learn him.

Same. C9/Dunktrain hate anything split push. Promote meta, Abathur, etc. It's a good route to attack them on IMO, and at the least draw out bans after the first game or two and allow you to get other heroes you prize.

Also, just to say, the latest State of the Nexus was fantastic. That really is *the* place to go for proper Heroes e-sports discussion right now. Dread, Bakery and Khaelaris bring so much to the table - and Grubby was a fantastic guest.

Would love to listen if it ever gets on iTunes. Makes no sense that it isn't on there now if he did submit it a while back, it shouldn't take this long to be approved.

Alur

Dehaka is garbage. Either that, or I don't know how to play him

He requires much more coordination than the average tank. And he's new. Probably not ever gonna be a really great hero for solo queue life due to how team oriented he is.

brian!

After trying him a bit last weekend i do think they should allow his e to be activatable and for burrow to be cast on minimap, they might have to change his lvl 4 then tho

Also im a little less hype about the minion talent at lvl 1, it's the best option imo but movement speed feels valuable on him. Isolation is pretty strong but im bad at landing it atm

Oh, another thing, i forget which tier it's in but he has a talent for +ms after he zs, they should change that so it's a weaker version of homeguard from league instead of only 3 secs (ms burst for x duration, cancelled if you attack or get attacked), thatd be sick and make him very terrifyig

Dehaka is garbage. Either that, or I don't know how to play him

On a coordinated team you can play Dehaka as an aggressive global initiator/ganker, solo queue you need to play Dehaka more as a durable counter-initiator. Drag is great at interrupting a lot of the strong melee assassins at key moments (Illidan after he uses Dive and Evasion, Thrall during his Windfury combo, a diving worgen Greymane) shutting down their durability and/or putting them in a horrible position. Isolation is a really strong ult against those backline heroes you need to shut down, if only for a few seconds, and Adaption makes him annoyingly persistent in a teamfight.

At the end of the day, there are more viable tanks to play as though. Especially solo queue.

Alur

Dive (Q)
Friend or Foe (Talent)
Range bonus decreased from 33% to 20%.

Reflexive Block (Talent)
Block charges granted after casting Dive reduced from 3 to 2.

These two changes to Illidan would've been a good start and may be enough. The range is how he was surviving for so long, IMO, easier getaways.

But couple it with the health nerfs and stuff, that's pretty rough. I'm not an Illidan player so I may be wrong, but people here already said he felt less survivable...now he's even less than that less.

Alur

Yes, thx Blizz for more Li-Ming nerfs. As you said, though, still surprised the trait hasn't been hit yet to make it reset on only killing blows or something.

Alur

That's a big damage increase on Water Dragon for Lili lol

Where's Soka?

Muradin
Haymaker (R)
Damage dealt to secondary targets increased from 25% to 100% damage of Haymaker’s primary target damage.

Maledict

These two changes to Illidan would've been a good start and may be enough. The range is how he was surviving for so long, IMO, easier getaways.

But couple it with the health nerfs and stuff, that's pretty rough. I'm not an Illidan player so I may be wrong, but people here already said he felt less survivable...now he's even less than that less.

Nah, once we got used to him people quickly figured out he was actually far harder to kill than before. The block talent at 7 was ludicrous, and I want to know what developer thought that was okay to go live as it is. It gave more charges than normal block, could be used on demand and was spammable like crazy on him

Kael stuff is interesting, but I don't think people will start using his stun until they give the speed back on it somehow. It's simply too slow to land as it is most of the time.

kirblar

Nah, once we got used to him people quickly figured out he was actually far harder to kill than before. The block talent at 7 was ludicrous, and I want to know what developer thught that was okay to go live as it is. It gave more charges than normal block, could be used on deman and was spammable like crazy on him

Kael stuff is interesting, but I don't think people will start using his stun until they give the speed back on it somehow. It's simply too slow to land as it is most of the time.
Overcorrection for lack of burst HP healz.

Alur

New Sylv is still pretty fun. The E refreshing Q talent creates a lot of burst when you use it now with the changes. It's kind of like the same hero remixed. I still dig her, still one of my favorites when it comes to ranged.

Nah, once we got used to him people quickly figured out he was actually far harder to kill than before. The block talent at 7 was ludicrous, and I want to know what developer thought that was okay to go live as it is. It gave more charges than normal block, could be used on demand and was spammable like crazy on him

I had the block talent included in that post as the two changes they needed to make.

He can literally leap a screen with dive talent to skirt away with like 75 HP, and block was what pretty much everyone was taking there AFAIK. If they just changed the dive range and the block, they probably could've left it at that til they saw what happened for another week or two. They also hit his other survivability, though, so I dunno how it pans out now.

He's hard to balance and not be OP or UP. Hopefully they can find a way to keep him viable but not ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom