• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alur

It was on front page for a day or two.

I wouldn't get too excited. Took nearly a year to get bans. Season will come next. I'd be pretty shocked if we saw swaps this year considering we haven't heard anything about them in a positive light from Blizz IIRC. It's fine without it right now IMO, though it'd be a nice addition.

brian!

Yeah i dont expect it anytime soon or anything, just the dialogue on the topic seemed kinda muted to me i thought itd pop off like a week after bans were shipped w/o it

For pro play they should prob prioritize a tournament client running the correct patch (dont think they are tho) since there is already a third-party solution for custom game drafting

The store Best Buy lets you pay $30 for 2 years for 20% off new games and a bunch of other benefits (for Overwatch, you get a $10 gift card after you pick up the game)

It's super sweet.

if you were lucky to get in one of the cellphone deals before, you were able to get gcu for 2 years for like 4 bucks. i ended up getting like 12 years.

Alur

I also think they would probably be more concerned with a tournament client/server than the swaps currently. Swaps will come, even if it's only for tournaments at first. It's hard to tell what their stance is on it, but I feel like they'd say it adds more complications for players and it's likely that the vast majority of players DGAF about it or even know it should be there.

Personally I cringe to think about swapping with some the randoms I see and that's in all rank 1 games, even though I know when it works it'd make the experience better. Can't imagine what it'd be like if you were at average MMR and rank ~25ish.

brian!

For yall hl players how have hl bans turned out in terms of bad experiences. I play pick up draft games sometimes and it's prtty loose but obviously ranked is a different story w/ numbers involved

Quesa

Shoutouts to all the people learning tracer right now. Makes it easy to feel good about my own. Went up against one earlier and crushed her -- HD was like 36k to 13k.

For yall hl players how have hl bans turned out in terms of bad experiences. I play pick up draft games sometimes and it's prtty loose but obviously ranked is a different story w/ numbers involved

"focus morales" turned into "ban morales", cringe rising exponentially. Some people rather face illidan than morales apparently.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Rexxar is just too much work for too little results, and I don't think these buffs will accomplish much. It'll help, but the underlying problem with the hero remains.

I love playing Rexxar, but yes you are right, he is a lot of work to play for little results. I played with him a bit last night after patching, honestly he doesn't feel any different to me, lol.

I love playing Rexxar, but yes you are right, he is a lot of work to play for little results. I played with him a bit last night after patching, honestly he doesn't feel any different to me, lol.

That's because he wasn't updated yet, the patch is today. Personally excited, I love me some Rexxar but will be the first to admit that he isn't exactly the best hero.

Alur

The bans make it a much better experience at our level (and probably even better at yours, TBH). You really should get into it as much as you talk about how the game needs those things.

You got fooled by Ketch's premature patchulation. Don't worry, he got me as well. Patch isn't til today.

Syf

Banned
Im prtty much a spectator now i think, been playing dark soulz and probably gonna get wrapped up in overwatch soon
I'm trying out cardstone right now, then Friday I'll be all-in on the new Diablo season and Overwatch next week

Also we need a cardstone hero, every single button is a random ability from any hero in the game and the ult just selects a random hero to die and the second ult randomizes all the heroes on both teams to different ones. Useful when you know you got a bad draft. I feel like HotS is missing the RNG element that makes HS so fun and totally not frustrating.

Alur

Have they said whether open beta progress will carry over to live? Because if not, I'll probably just play whenever there's a group going and not dive in too deep and lose my sweet loot to a reset.

yeah i'm not doing the open beta after being in the closed beta from the beginning (stealth brag).

but i will be playing the hell out of HoTS tonight if anyone wants to join me, will be playing Lunara mostly to get master skin.

Maledict

Something weird is up with hero league matchmaking. I've just had two games on th run where we only got 85 points for winning, which I haven't seen in *months*. in the second game, two players in our group were unranked (and they weren't partied together). We had a rank 1 and a rank 3 in our party, that simply shouldn't be happening at all.

Ketch

just played him. seems pretty good. but he always seemed pretty good to me.

the extra leash range is pretty good. chasing people/attacking people from the fog on BOE was really good. total freedom to harass the back line, got a couple kills that way too, and then I could tell that the other team was specifically looking for rexxar. "Like get this fucking bear off me!" and then ETC goes around checking fog for me.

still doesn't feel like a warrior though obviously.

also, zoning out an entire team with the bear is still one of the best feelings in the game.

brian!

yeah i mean the bonus ones
i mean regardless I'll prob get the 40 dollar one so I might as well just do it now

oh damn for some reason I thought the beta was running until release

Ketch

yeah i mean the bonus ones
i mean regardless I'll prob get the 40 dollar one so I might as well just do it now

oh damn for some reason I thought the beta was running until release

nope. sadly. it's like 3 days open beta for one thing, 6 days if your special.

scoobs

Tracer now top win rate hero across all leagues, and 61% in masters. I have a feeling that will keep going up. The nerfs are coming, the nerfs are coming!

Tracer now top win rate hero across all leagues, and 61% in masters. I have a feeling that will keep going up. The nerfs are coming, the nerfs are coming!

"We found that Tracer is doing just a tad too much damage relative to other heroes who fill similar roles. We love that players have found so many ways to incorporate her unique play-style into the game and we want to preserve her identity and keep the core mobility of the hero intact. To that end here are some small adjustments that we think will bring Tracer's damage more in line with other assassins while keeping her fast-moving and pulse-pounding playstyle intact."

Insert huge nerfs ala Li-Ming.

Having to actually guess what they do is much harder. Probably just increase reload time, reduce damage/charge speed of pulse bomb. Maybe reduce Echo to 1 charge but I seriously doubt it.

scoobs

"We found that Tracer is doing just a tad too much damage relative to other heroes who fill similar roles. We love that players have found so many ways to incorporate her unique play-style into the game and we want to preserve her identity and keep the core mobility of the hero intact. To that end here are some small adjustments that we think will bring Tracer's damage more in line with other assassins while keeping her fast-moving and pulse-pounding playstyle intact."

Insert huge nerfs ala Li-Ming.

Having to actually guess what they do is much harder. Probably just increase reload time, reduce damage/charge speed of pulse bomb. Maybe reduce Echo to 1 charge but I seriously doubt it.

nerf lvl 1, 7, and 20 recall talents. Not sure how you nerf em', but recall is what makes her OP, and without changing the core ability the only way to really nerf is to hit the popular recall talents. Maybe increase cooldown on it by 10 seconds or so so she can't just do whatever the hell she wants all over the map and get away with it

One of the things that sort of frustrates me about hero design in HotS is they don't seem to be designing new heroes or tuning old ones with the idea that some should hard-counter others. Like Butcher should be a hard-counter to someone as crazy mobile as Tracer but even if he does manage to land a charge, which can be broken quite easily, the likelihood he can do anything after, even with Lamb, is unlikely because Tracer can blink away so damned quickly.

scoobs

Its real hard to counter a hero that has 3 charges of blink, a time rewinding ability that is better than 90% of ultimates in the game, and running auto attacks. I'm extremely curious how they intend on bringing her in line with the other assassins in the game.

Maledict

I've actually stopped using the recall talent at level 1 for the moment. I've been trying out the Tracer rounds ability and finishing it a lot more useful than I originally thought. Bushes completely mess with her ability to do damage as she has no way to of revealing anyone, so it really lowers her damage running into a bush. Tracer rounds eliminates that,mparticulary on maps like Battlefield or Towers where there's constant fighting around bushes.

scoobs

Remember when Tracer wasn't oppressive nor broken, she was fine.
Li Ming vindicated

Don't get me started oh MingLee.

I do find it funny when a new OP hero releases there is a vocal group of players, who are having a ton of fun pooping on people in HL with that hero, that come out in droves on the message boards saying they're not OP. I guess they just want to enjoy the OP hero as long as is humanely possible so they'll defend them forever.

Happened with Xul, MingLee, and Tracer. Even with older heroes, the Nova apologists were the worst. "Guys if you're dying to Nova in literally .01 seconds you need to get better at the game! Watch the ground for her shimmer!"

Maledict

I think Tracer is slightly different to Li-Ming and xul though, although clearly she's at broken levels right now and needs nearing.

With Li-Ming, she was simply flat up broken with Ess of Johan and her damage levels. There was no question Ess needed to go, and there was no question she dealt too much damage - she was one shooting over half the heroes in the game just by landing her insanely easy to hit abilities. With Xul, he was just tuned too well across the board - his damage was again massively out of line, and was swiftly nerfed down.

With Tracer, it's harder to pinpoint the issue. There's been lots of suggestions and ideas, but ultimately she doesn't blow people up like the other two did, her heroic doesn't win team fights, and she has very legitimate weaknesses built into her kit and some really powerful hard counters which the others didn't have. Personally I think they should drop the blink charges on her recall talent to 1 charge only, and then possibly look at a tiny nerd to her damage.

My own experience has been a 50% win rate with tracer in games - and weirdly in hero league I seem to have a 100% win rate against her. Maybe I've been lucky because so far people just keep picking the heroes who are really good against her in my games (Zeratul, Lunara, Raynor, Valla, Chen, etc).

I absolutely agree with those win numbers she needs needing, but do feel she's in a different place to the other two (who simply were overturned on release).

scoobs

I think Tracer is slightly different to Li-Ming and xul though, although clearly she's at broken levels right now and needs nearing.

With Li-Ming, she was simply flat up broken with Ess of Johan and her damage levels. There was no question Ess needed to go, and there was no question she dealt too much damage - she was one shooting over half the heroes in the game just by landing her insanely easy to hit abilities. With Xul, he was just tuned too well across the board - his damage was again massively out of line, and was swiftly nerfed down.

With Tracer, it's harder to pinpoint the issue. There's been lots of suggestions and ideas, but ultimately she doesn't blow people up like the other two did, her heroic doesn't win team fights, and she has very legitimate weaknesses built into her kit and some really powerful hard counters which the others didn't have. Personally I think they should drop the blink charges on her recall talent to 1 charge only, and then possibly look at a tiny nerd to her damage.

My own experience has been a 50% win rate with tracer in games - and weirdly in hero league I seem to have a 100% win rate against her. Maybe I've been lucky because so far people just keep picking the heroes who are really good against her in my games (Zeratul, Lunara, Raynor, Valla, Chen, etc).

I absolutely agree with those win numbers she needs needing, but do feel she's in a different place to the other two (who simply were overturned on release).

You're absolutely right. Her numbers are about right, its her non-damaging abilities and talents that are simply too good right now, which I can't really recall happening before with a new hero. Its usually some number is tuned too high and people are taking advantage of it.

Maledict

That post would have been a lot better had my iPad not decided to auto correct every other word in it. Hopefully still makes vague sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom