• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian!

there is a case to be made for taking everything in the beginning and not having that be rewarded proportionately

a lot of it has to do w/ the embedded comeback mechanics probably

Alur

It's not at all. That's not what's being discussed though. This is not a player/competitor min/max thing. This is a design thing.

"Is this play being good/possible healthy for the game?" is a question you ask as a dev. In this case, I would stronngly argue that's its very bad for the game when you can just bulldoze in at level 23 and kill the core like that vs 4 enemy heroes.

I understand. I disagree. I think it's just fine for the game. You see that shit all the time in QM and HL when people bother to play their advantage. Of course you will see it in competitive with more capable strategists and coordination.

I do agree the core should be stronger via keep shielding and that would prevent some of this, but I don't see it as a flaw by any means. Just a change that I would personally appreciate in my own games.

Just because they ended up winning doesn't make C9 the better team in the game. C9 was losing for months while being a better team than Tempo, this match they won while being the worse team.

It's okay Blaze lost because of a bad call but it's bad how easy it was for them. Someone in this thread once proposed a shield on the core proportionate to the structures still standing. This game highlighted once again that that could be beneficial.

Also wouldn't call this outplaying there was zero finesse to it. Bulldozing is quite an apt description.

kirblar

I understand. I disagree. I think it's just fine for the game. You see that shit all the time in QM and HL when people bother to play their advantage. Of course you will see it in competitive with more capable strategists and coordination.

I do agree the core should be stronger via keep shielding and that would prevent some of this, but I don't see it as a flaw by any means. Just a change that I would personally appreciate in my own games.
The crux of the problem is that they have over-focused on team-fighting and not made structures/minions as durable/hard-hitting/important as they need to be. The "insta wave clear" talents are an example of them handwaving an aspect that likely needs to be more important than it is. They're trying to be non-LOL but there's some things they're slowly learning are really important to making the games work.

Alur

My whole point is that this has been happening for some time now. I don't see why this one particular instance of it is a big deal. Hell it's honestly been happening since the beginning, it's just the issue became more exacerbated with the scaling changes.

It could be better with keep shielding, yes. But it's not a reason to call the scene and HOTS itself a joke. Talk about an overreaction.

I mean I'm personally pretty gat damn unenthused with the pro scene post Blizzcon myself and these qualifiers in particular, but it's not because the game has gotten less interesting. It's because the stories behind it (and the production around it) has been worse.

EDIT: And yeah, making the right call is an outplay. Particularly when everyone on the field knows how quickly a core can be bulldozed.

kirblar

My whole point is that this has been happening for some time now. I don't see why this one particular instance of it is a big deal. Hell it's honestly been happening since the beginning, it's just the issue became more exacerbated with the scaling changes.

It could be better with keep shielding, yes. But it's not a reason to call the scene and HOTS itself a joke. Talk about an overreaction.

I mean I'm personally pretty gat damn unenthused with the pro scene post Blizzcon myself and these qualifiers in particular, but it's not because the game has gotten less interesting. It's because the stories behind it (and the production around it) has been worse.
It's an issue of incremental advantage not being rewarded properly, because a late game error erases every single incremental advantage (via game loss) instead of just being a big setback. This feels really, really bad to a lot of players and viewers because they feel as though most of their contributions during the game don't end up mattering because it devolves into the last two minutes of a college basketball game every time a game goes late.

This is why Towers of Doom works. The entire map is about incremental successes throughout the game.

brian!

Yeah i agree w/ all that, esp the stories

I think the feelsbadman argument has clout, but the way i personally relate to mobas is usually w/ the game at hand, like figure out op heroes and optimal shit for the game as is, im usually pretty satisfied with that as long as i feel like a meaningful degree of the game is in my control

Alur

It's an issue of incremental advantage not being rewarded properly, because a late game error erases every single incremental advantage (via game loss) instead of just being a big setback. This feels really, really bad to a lot of players and viewers because they feel as though most of their contributions during the game don't end up mattering because it devolves into the last two minutes of a college basketball game every time a game goes late.

I guess. Like I said, I can see your point I just don't agree. I prefer it this way as opposed to what we had a while ago where a 3 level lead meant GG at level 12.

kirblar

I guess. Like I said, I can see your point I just don't agree. I prefer it this way as opposed to what we had a while ago where a 3 level lead meant GG at level 12.
I do too. This is not related to that issue though- this has been a design issue for years at this point.

edit: its specifically the "lose late teamfight when behind all game, bulldoze keep and win" or "bulldoze core with fullly alive enemy team defending" stuff, its just not healthy for the game. You should be able to come back, but the way that's happening right now is the endgame devolving into sudden death.

I mean it's outplaying in the sense of a good call vs. a bad call, that ending was completely preventable

Blaze outplayed themselves, they also wasted like 2 or 3 DKs.

I wouldn't call it a joke but it's lacking in identity right now. There's no top team in NA to root for right now except Cog imo if they are even one, not to speak of the joke that is EU right now.
Team Naventa (?) is 2/3rds filled with unlikeable dudes, C9 has Arth now, I feel sad for soldier in Tempo, which just leaves Cog whom we still have to see perform great outside of scrims.

The core issue comes up again since we haven't had that many games recently that came down to it, even if the problem never went away.

Nah i love nvt, they are hots tsm for me and ppl getting hot at them enhances them in my eyes

Gotta give credit to c9 for identifying the correct move and creating the situation where blaze could throw tho

Yes they made the right call, credit where credit is due but I'm not gonna give them credit for getting a fort and a couple walls. Was it K1Pro on Jaina, he was amazing how he lived through the burst with IB and Bolt.

Also with NVT I just don't like anyone but Fan and MC. Fan is awesome, been rooting for him since Heroes of The Dorm, but as a team, hell no.

brian!

Nah i love nvt, they are hots tsm for me and ppl getting hot at them enhances them in my eyes

Gotta give credit to c9 for identifying the correct move and creating the situation where blaze could throw tho

Alur

I wouldn't call it a joke but it's lacking in identity right now. There's no top team in NA to root for right now except Cog imo, not to speak of the joke that is EU right now.
Team Naventa (?) is 2/3rds filled with unlikeable dudes, C9 has Arth now, I feel sad for soldier in Tempo, which just leaves Cog whom we still have to see perform great outside of scrims.

The core issue comes up again since we haven't had that many games recently that came down to it, even if the problem never went away.

Don't forget EU rosters being a game of musical chairs and us knowing little and less about WTF is going on in China and Korea.

If you're a regular in NA you've got McIntyre and Fan (and maybe Zuna if you're into masochism) in Navi Jr. with some grumpers and C9 plus Trollelon. Tempo Storm completely lost it's luster and it has (IMO) REALLY hurt the scene. Having them there and the attention they brought + the drama and everything else meant more to it than we all thought I believe as everyone loves to hate someone.

I mean, you can hate BRFC/Navi Jr. or the corporate manuevering of C9, but it's just not the same. TS actually got a reaction out of people. These two teams have players who are just plain disliked. There's no real story to it. And then Cog is Cog. The day I believe in Cog will be the day they are actually on top of a real tournament and not a moment before.

It's definitely slim pickings.

Tempo was HOTS TSM. From the attitude all the way down to ultimately being a disappointment when it mattered most. BRFC have the heel members but other than Zuna no one really cares enough about any of them to get too bent out of shape like they did with Zoia's antics and Tempo's insane comebacks on C9.

Milly79

Not in our games it's not lol, maybe in the ones you play solo. The ones I play often see it tighten up around the 18-20 range if it's not finished before 20 talents.

Plenty of times they get their ults, team picks a fight and there's your snowball. It happens quite often still.

Alur

Zunas my fav probably

I feel like BRFC/Navi Jr. are more like nWo at the tail end of it's run. They kept adding members and some of em were cool but by then no one really gave a fuck.

Zuna is like the Hogan of the group getting all the heat, but he can't get anyone else over.

Plenty of times they get their ults, team picks a fight and there's your snowball. It happens quite often still.

I agree it snowballs up til about 20 but then people pussyfoot around and get passive and we typically just steal it right back with a team wipe. That's always been the biggest problem with pleb HOTS - no one ever wants to end the game.

Milly79

Yeah I don't think it happens to often when we play together, but if I'm solo or someone else it seems to happen a lot more.

Ketch

Blaze had ample opportunity to win, if two of C9's players were across the map instead of defending against the DK all those times they would have lost. C9 took advantage of their drafts strength in the late game and blaze misplayed.

I think the buildings are working as intended. When heroes are well past lvl 20 then of course their gonna be able to bulldoze through the buildings. It's designed that way on purpose because games aren't supposed to last that long.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Won my first placement game in HL. It was a very diff experience than what I've seen of like rank 1 streams or tournies (obviously).

First, all of my side prepicked choices but me. No one picked li/rhe so I was like oh shit we're about to get stomped.. other team had first pick and they took Illidan. I was like woah so now we'll change to li/rhe right? My team locks in zeratul/sonya. Wait what. Other team will surely.. they lock in artanis/ETC.

Wtf is going on. Like I get this is placement and everyone is like rank ~40 and below but..I was just surprised how everyone just seemed to be picking what they wanted rather than what was good/counter to the opponent. So my side the last pick wants to play Kharazim so me playing Rhegar would be a waste. The other guy locks in Zag, nice, and it's my turn. So I ask. What do you guys think I should play? All of a sudden my team comes alive and is like hm well yeah, looking at us and them probably another tank. So I offer Mura and they're like great choice. I'm again like wtf. They were so eager to choose what they wanted but as soon as I asked they went into actual thinking mode.

So the other side locks in Morales and some other non-meta assassin and our dude grabs Khara as our support. No rhe, no ming, I felt like I was playing a quick match. Inside the game was actually decent, we talked way more than a qm and coordinated a bit. Some raged a little but we pulled the win out.

So yeah, I'm sure I'll come across the cookie cutter drafts as I play more, I was just kind of surprised how both sides were so casual about playing what they wanted. Though..I guess..I shouldn't be..?

Only that their team will disband which would make him a free agent.

He's kinda damaged goods after the dignitas ordeal, dunno if we have enough of those in EU to make a top team though.

Maledict

ADRD is a fantastic player, but twice now he's had to leave top tier teams because of personel issues. Plus, didn't wubbi leave TSM and say they had massive interteam drama as well?

Sad fact is the guy just seems to be toxic, which is a real shame as I loved watching him play Kael. Easily one of the best Kael players around.

Ketch

On THH they were talking about EU teams having issues with the language barriers. Like make adrd doesn't want to do coms in anything but German or whatever nationality he is

Alur

That THH with Erho was surprisingly good. Not a huge fan of him or his streams thanks to McIntyre bias (and the former on-again off-again beef they had) but he came across as pretty well reasoned and knowledgeable even if he's a little acerbic.

It worked with BOB since there was a team in SK Gaming that had disbanded lacking a full roster he could just fill up.

I doubt any team will pick him up right now so he'll have to build it himself this time firmly holding the reins so if someone would get the boot it wouldn't be him.
I dunno how much weight is behind it but adrd was often referred to as one of the best drafters.?

Adrd is polish I believe. Dude always freaked me out when on camera. You can instantly spot the germans by their accent. There used to be country bias but with the recent shakeups all teams are international now.

VP was ukranina/russian, G2 polish, liquid spanish, fnatic was german (?), navi swedish, dignitas english, etc.

Maledict

I was less impressed. He criticised EU and draft choices, but then admitted he hasn't watched a single EU game. He also did the Zoia thing of dismissing heroes and strats without mentioning at all why - just saying "Greymane's shit" when he's being picked in every single game currently isn't fantastic content.

But then I'm not a fan of BRFC generally - I think both him and McIntyre come across really badly in their streams. Zuna's the only one I really enjoy watching out of all of them, weirdly enough.

Alur

I was less impressed. He criticised EU and draft choices, but then admitted he hasn't watched a single EU game. He also did the Zoia thing of dismissing heroes and strats without mentioning at all why - just saying "Greymane's shit" when he's being picked in every single game currently isn't fantastic content.

But then I'm not a fan of BRFC generally - I think both him and McIntyre come across really badly in their streams. Zuna's the only one I really enjoy watching out of all of them, weirdly enough.

I feel like your first paragraph is just a difference in geography. You EU dudes are pretty sensitive to knocks on EU, even more so than us 'merican's and NA or at least the people we have in thread. Part of that could be that THH takes every opportunity to shit on your scene, though, I suppose. I'd go so far as to say Familie aggressively defends EU like I defend HOTS in general lol. IIRC he or one of the others did give more reasoning for Greymane. And beyond that nitpick and maybe another, he was very forthright with why he thought certain heroes were good or bad.

Outside of that, how does McIntyre come across badly when streaming? I'd be interested to hear this because I've heard it here before but never really heard the reasoning. And I assume you mean beyond the Pentium II 400mhz graphics lol

EDIT: Not saying Mac does or doesn't, just curious.

EDITx2: Blizz is looking at Li-Mings early siege damage. Sounds good cause it's stupid.

I mean let's compare how many hots public people of no knowledge about it shit on NA? Wait no one, the only thing I heard is some saying HL is easier in NA.

Now let's look at how many people shit on EU while saying they don't follow it whatsoever in the same breath, wait every guy on THH except funnily Zoia, the supposedly unprofessional guy.

Obviously I'm biased but it's things like just recently Stitches that are just annoying.

They shouldn't nerf Li Ming's siege too much, that'd make her worse than Jaina w/o a buff in other areas.

brian!

just have to hold out until na gets a comeuppance at an intl tourney
jaina's probably already better than li ming, or at least more pickable at 1/2-3

Alur

I mean let's compare how many hots public people of no knowledge about it shit on NA? Wait no one, the only thing I heard is some saying HL is easier in NA.

Now let's look at how many people shit on EU while saying they don't follow it whatsoever in the same breath, wait every guy on THH except funnily Zoia, the supposedly unprofessional guy.

Obviously I'm biased but it's things like just recently Stitches that are just annoying.

EU bros need to start their own podcast and crack jokes about NA meta and personalities.

They shouldn't nerf Li Ming's siege too much, that'd make her worse than Jaina w/o a buff in other areas.

All according to keikaku. She must be rekt because the qq was too strong those first two weeks.

And yeah, agree w/ brian, don't see the issue with Jaina being better (and maybe she already is). Li just needs to remain in range with the other two mages and she'll get picked regardless thanks to the damage and insane range.

Maledict

Yeah, some of it is definitely the fact that the only decent high end Heroes podcast has the running joke of "EUs shit" every cast, every time, repeatedly. It's a bit grating. It's not even clever which is what I really object - a good burn can be hilarious, but when it's literally someone saying for the 50th time "EU is shit, they will come last, haha" it's just...dumb. Like fratboys talking crap (which, to be fair, I guess they are).

And nah, none of them discussed Greymane. Erho's contribution was "he's a jack of all trades, there's always someone who does something better". Which might be true, but doesn't explain what we are seeing in drafts at all - and watching LiquidCris play with him on his streams, he really, *really* doesn't come across as a jack of all trades. In terms of suddenly killing someone, Greymane seems to be in a class of his own in his ability to suddenly engage and murder you.

It's the same very time though - remember when we had Dreamhack, after Blizzard, and ETC was the top drafted tank in every game? Wasn't mentioned once on the show. It's weird, but the casual casts like "Into the Nexus" are far better at discussing the meta than THH in many ways because they do actually try to explain things and watch what's going on. Maybe it's because they are keeping secrets because money's on the line, but for whatever reason they spend a lot more time talking about the feel and experience of an event rather than the actual event.

Re Mac streaming, it's because he's gets really salty and can be abusive. I much prefer Grubby's style, or LiquidCris - even when they get pissed off, they don't get insulting to people or viewers in the same way.

brian!

thh is heavily a cliquish zone, which for me can be really entertaining but the cast that shows up every show is a cast im not interested at all

league has something called uh...fuck...oh, summoner's insight, which is similarly cliquish, forward about their biases, and in general pretty fun to watch w/ hateable ppl hosting, but thh has lower knowledge and in general it's hard not to cringe every few minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nATfskgH9g8

Greymane seems very well positioned he's great at poking and he can murder a squishy faster than anyone else. If you pair him with rehgar there's no escaping.

Jaina being better than Li Ming is fine but taken away the siege w/o giving her back anything will widen the gap possibly too much. I still take seeker primarily because of the siege most of the time.

Last THH wasn't bad there just wasn't a THH recently that was like actually great. I don't know why but Zoia is the only one that if he shows interest actually manages to make a good topic that's being seriously discussed.The shitting on EU can be especially cringeworthy when recently they've been ahead in the meta time and again. I'm not gonna compare teams anymore since that never worked out for me though, nor is there a team I could be biased towards.

Alur

And nah, none of them discussed Greymane. Erho's contribution was "he's a jack of all trades, there's always someone who does something better". Which might be true, but doesn't explain what we are seeing in drafts at all - and watching LiquidCris play with him on his streams, he really, *really* doesn't come across as a jack of all trades. In terms of suddenly killing someone, Greymane seems to be in a class of his own in his ability to suddenly engage and murder you.

That sounds pretty constructive to me. He isn't as good at range as Raynor and co and he can't go HAM in melee like a Thrall or Illidan necessarily. It's the same reason I don't like having him on my team. He's constantly in the middle. He feels very much like a hero that the crazy Zera/Illidan dude from Team Liquid who quit (forgot his name) would excel on but not many others. That's all IMO of course and I know he's getting play there, I'm just speaking from my own experience which seems to line up with their reasoning on Greymane right now.

I think most folks (and THH) read too much into why one continent/countries meta plays a hero and another doesn't. Like the real reasons behind it, I mean. Nearly all of those niche heroes eventually go both ways so I guess I've just never really found it that compelling.

Re Mac streaming, it's because he's gets really salty and can be abusive. I much prefer Grubby's style, or LiquidCris - even when they get pissed off, they don't get insulting to people or viewers in the same way.

Really? How many times have you watched that he has done that? Not defending Mac necessarily because I have seen him get a little salty three or four times, but we're talking three or four times in 9 months + 3 months on another account (so a full year) of being subbed to him.

And I don't mean salty like saying on stream "I have no clue why our KT just did that/picked that talent/whydid this guy pick Gazlowe" which is on every stream of every streamer I've watched, I mean salty like gets involved in chat/interacting and BMs.

I assumed you were going to referring to the more uncouth parts of the stream (the green shirt shenanigans and the like). I'm actually surprised.

Last THH wasn't bad there just wasn't a THH recently that was like actually great. I don't know why but Zoia is the only one that if he shows interest actually manages to make a good topic that's being seriously discussed.

Agreed on both points. Jake has gotten progressively worse at steering the conversation. Zoia is sometimes petulant, sometimes nonexistant, and sometimes engaging. Cooby is fine when given the chance to talk. The pro thing is very hit and miss. I honestly don't feel the show is better now than it was when it was just those 3 + Schamtoo and a guest. Hell, recently there's only been one guest several times. They've really flopped on the growth of the whole thing not unlike they complain about Blizzard flopping on the growth of the competitive scene.

brian!

greymane is pretty good
anything that comes out of nvt can be considered potential sandbagging imo, they havent played a game in public in a long time and as a team their goal explicitly is to win at worlds

dread probably should have done a video on map specific tiers before a video on drafting

another valuable video of stuff that should be standard by now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdzdksu20XM

Recently picked wave of force on Ming Lee by accident and it was surprisingly good.

Agreed on both points. Jake has gotten progressively worse at steering the conversation. Zoia is sometimes petulant, sometimes nonexistant, and sometimes engaging. Cooby is fine when given the chance to talk. The pro thing is very hit and miss. I honestly don't feel the show is better now than it was when it was just those 3 + Schamtoo and a guest. Hell, recently there's only been one guest several times. They've really flopped on the growth of the whole thing not unlike they complain about Blizzard flopping on the growth of the competitive scene.

I'm over Schamtoo but I'm gonna start looking for another podcast like this. Khaldor seems to plan starting casting with pro players from time to time now, today he cast ETS with Lowell from Liquid. I wasn't following intently but it was okay for a first time.

brian!

dread sums up my thoughts on most map objectives in the game, well mainly early map objectives
https://youtu.be/Hdzdksu20XM?t=9m37s

reynad really should pay dread to write these out, get some hits on the site

"related videos"
ChP64Ks.png

pretty scared to click on this arms every day video, but also very excited to learn about life on a nuclear submarine

____

on a side note, one of the tragedies of having haunted mines out of the game is that it was the #1 map for teaching the idea of "map strategy" to newer players. for me when I started out, playing a game where ppl were like "hold off on capping the fat bois, if it's behind the wall itll do more safe damage to the golem", or "yeah it really doesnt seem productive to keep running into the mines when we cant kill them, why dont we gain resources we can actually get like exp or take away their giants so the big golem they get is less valuable" really encouraged me to think out the other maps in beneficial ways

Alur

on a side note, one of the tragedies of having haunted mines out of the game is that it was the #1 map for teaching the idea of "map strategy" to newer players. for me when I started out, playing a game where ppl were like "hold off on capping the fat bois, if it's behind the wall itll do more safe damage to the golem", or "yeah it really doesnt seem productive to keep running into the mines when we cant kill them, why dont we gain resources we can actually get like exp or take away their giants so the big golem they get is less valuable" really encouraged me to think out the other maps in beneficial ways

It was good for that, but the bolded is something probably 70-80% of the player base can't be fussed with. It's just a game to log in, do dailies, get to play as Thrall and Arthas and GTFO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom