• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian!

oh man that wombo miss was tragic
blaze needs to not let zera bait them and they can do this
nm they got baited, nice tourney I thought khaldor did a pretty good job

Alur

RIP the dream. Blaze almost got a huge advantage if they had killed Muradino there, but then got wiped themselves.

Hell of a showing by them.

Ketch

Can some one summarize the king of blades reddit post into a couple sentences?

Also feel like zuna/Kenma as team captains is a mistake. Should be fan.

Alur

Alur are you the ex-KoB manager??? Sounds like your typical bullying. :D

I told those motherfuckers. 900 dollars a year salary, 4% of tournament winnings, and only 5% of stream earnings AND THEY HAVE THE GALL TO CALL ME SELFISH. ME?!

What a bunch of assholes. Then they leave the organization and I threaten legal action against them for expenses that I may or may not have even really paid for.

Best believe Imma get my money! 900 dollars a year boys! THATS A FORTUNE FOR PLAYING VIDYA GAEMS. Y THEY SO GREEDY

Can some one summarize the king of blades reddit post into a couple sentences?

no, Yoshi jr. read it yourself

summary above, and yes that is how the owner acted. he's my brother IRL

Alur

A real nice guy by all accounts. Never heard a bad word except all the words I heard
that the bird is the word that the bird is the word that the bird is the word have you heard

Ketch

He looks like this:
image.php
IRL?

In other news, I'm starting my own Esports org. seems really affordable for me.

edit: also I did a shit ass job on some writing assignment and got 19/20 anyway. LUL college 2 ez

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Holy shit at that new Arthas skin :eek:

(Just saw it in a MFpallytime video)

Famalie are you trying to say MVP Black is gonna body C9?

Just saying it could have been different. C9 never actually met MVP Black in the year they became reigning champions which is kinda hilarious considering MVP was treated like a contender for the best team in the world, if not the top runner.

jlawokay.gif

Didn't even make it last blizzcon *yawn*

I'll believe it when I see it

I mean C9 didn't have the strongest showing in China either and that against fairly mid tier teams, am I supposed to call them shit because of that?

Not to mention that Korea just got 1 slot and if it things had been a bit earlier and under these conditions C9 wouldn't have made it either.

Hard

Banned
Nova is the most cancerous cancer champ I have ever had the cancer to cancer.

How is this allowed? How do you deal with this shit?

Nova is the most cancerous cancer champ I have ever had the cancer to cancer.

How is this allowed? How do you deal with this shit?

You look at the map for the predator shimmer. You position yourself so she can't just safely pop out of the fog to attack, you force her to move to where she can be spotted. Also don't be alone. So even if she does manage to secure a kill, it's a pyrrhic victory because she dies as well.

Gank heroes rely on soft targets being out of position, alone and/or near fog (be it fog of war on the map or from the grass). I mean you should know if you're going to be her target at match start and play accordingly.

She's not super viable in higher levels of play and her use dramatically falls off.

This one says hi. It's all the things you hated about Nova, only with more damage and mobility. Added bonus is you can see it coming and still get rekt. Enjoy!

Truth.

Alur

I'm guessing we'll know one way or another by the end of the day
hopefully

EDIT: idk if the THH change will work or fail but I have a giggle m8 everytime I watch bkb stream. hard not to like him.

Alur

Well BKB will actually be playing in our first Summer regional this week so doubtful he'll be on.

I saw you guys talking about that a page or two back but I've seen nothing about it on Twitter or reddit.

What happened? Where's the info, and where was the outrage? I looked on both I never saw anything (though I did at some point see the initial topic on reddit before I knew there was an issue).

Maledict

The info was posted Friday afternoon, and it got buried under the weekend tournies. Unfortunately it seems like its not going to change, so we can say goodbye to HotS in Europe for the rest of the year I think.

I love Blizzard games, but I have to say after 10+ years of them not giving a flying fuck about Europe it's gotten quite depressing at this stage. They aren't even capable of doing basic things like releasing content at the same time in all regions.

Syf

Banned
it really is bizarre to see them invest $4 mil into the scene only to let scheduling garbage like that happen

Alur

The info was posted Friday afternoon, and it got buried under the weekend tournies. Unfortunately it seems like its not going to change, so we can say goodbye to HotS in Europe for the rest of the year I think.

I love Blizzard games, but I have to say after 10+ years of them not giving a flying fuck about Europe it's gotten quite depressing at this stage. They aren't even capable of doing basic things like releasing content at the same time in all regions.

I agree with you on the content and the apparent disparity in priority, but isn't the bolded a bit dramatic?

I mean, I saw you guys spitting nails over it but after digging into it on Twitter, beyond people thinking it's absurd, I don't see anyone threatening to boycott or quit or anything.

it really is bizarre to see them invest $4 mil into the scene only to let scheduling garbage like that happen

That's ESL on both sides of the Atlantic. It's just the EU version is much worse. Not really sure why they wait so late to annouce and have such strange timetables. It's a summer qualifer and Spring literally just started.

Maledict

I'm not kidding when I comment about Blizzard and Europe. For a massive company whose games sell millions world wide, Blizzard has *always* been incredibly provincial when it comes to their products. I've known a few people who work for Blizzard EU (even had one in my raiding guild), and they all said the same thing - fantastic company, but there is absolutely no question or doubt in anyone's mind that Europe is an afterthought.

The fact that they put so much energy into Heroes of the Dorm, a competition that means fuck all to anyone outside of NA, whilst regions which are much larger in player base are completely screwed, sums it up.

Alur

The fact that they put so much energy into Heroes of the Dorm, a competition that means fuck all to anyone outside of NA, whilst regions which are much larger in player base are completely screwed, sums it up.

You guys keep saying this but we have no actual proof of this "much larger". Only "more". The only stats we had were HOTDOGS and it was like 1.1 million to 900,000 or something. Not like 1.1 million to 500,000.

Maledict

I agree with you on the content and the apparent disparity in priority, but isn't the bolded a bit dramatic?

I mean, I saw you guys spitting nails over it but after digging into it on Twitter, beyond people thinking it's absurd, I don't see anyone threatening to boycott or quit or anything.

That's ESL on both sides of the Atlantic. It's just the EU version is much worse. Not really sure why they wait so late to annouce and have such strange timetables. It's a summer qualifer and Spring literally just started.

It's not a boycott, it's the fact that

1) Our winning regional teams for Spring will be very hard pressed to qualify

2) There will be a 3 month gap in EU where there are zero tournaments happening

3) Our summer regional qualifiers is going to be played on the same patch as our spring regionals - we've already held those!

4) Our biggest teams outside of Dig and Fnatic don't even have full rosters - TL is trying out BKB and Navi is just 4 players currently.

Given how messed up the EU scene is right now with roster swaps, the above factors are going to significantly hurt it for the rest of the year. I think we'll see several teams collapse over the next few months, and I don't think we'll have a strong showing at Blizzcon because I just don't think there will be the scene to support it.

It's not possible to make a career out of a game when the organisers pull stuff like this - which means more pro's will stop playing, which hurts the scene.

Maledict

You guys keep saying this but we have no actual proof of this "much larger". Only "more". The only stats we had were HOTDOGS and it was like 1.1 million to 900,000 or something. Not like 1.1 million to 500,000.

It was 1.4m to 900K, or there abouts - it was quite a noticeable difference. The same can be said for the number of teams supported.

Just quickly checking Hotslogs, and as of today there are 70435 USA hero league players uploaded, and 104,461 EU players uploaded. That's a significant difference.

Alur

It's not a boycott, it's the fact that

1) Our winning regional teams for Spring will be very hard pressed to qualify

2) There will be a 3 month gap in EU where there are zero tournaments happening

3) Our summer regional qualifiers is going to be played on the same patch as our spring regionals - we've already held those!

4) Our biggest teams outside of Dig and Fnatic don't even have full rosters - TL is trying out BKB and Navi is just 4 players currently.

Given how messed up the EU scene is right now with roster swaps, the above factors are going to significantly hurt it for the rest of the year. I think we'll see several teams collapse over the next few months, and I don't think we'll have a strong showing at Blizzcon because I just don't think there will be the scene to support it.

It's not possible to make a career out of a game when the organisers pull stuff like this - which means more pro's will stop playing, which hurts the scene.

This is a lot of assumption and emotion for an event that is half a year away. It may well pan out as you, but we're talking two more championships pre Blizzcon unless they fold the Fall into Blizzcon which, at least for my part, I've yet to see them confirm or deny.

I don't think the roster issues are as big a deal as you apparently do. We just saw Team Blaze swap two players and body Naventic and nearly defeat C9 in NA for the first time since last summer. When a roster works, it just works. EU appears to be so fond of it's swaps post 2015 Blizzcon that it's hard to have an argument that they wouldn't be fucking up their own synergies with continuous swaps and half made teams regardless.

As for 2), there is still a Fall championship. The assumption that it will be October = Blizzcon is just that for now. They haven't said. Seeing as the Summer event is being played in Spring, it's just as likely they are crunching everything forward in order to have room for a separate Blizzcon event is it not?

It was 1.4m to 900K, or there abouts - it was quite a noticeable difference. The same can be said for the number of teams supported.

Just quickly checking Hotslogs, and as of today there are 70435 USA hero league players uploaded, and 104,461 EU players uploaded. That's a significant difference.

I think it was 1.1 or 1.2 but you may be right.

Re: the second part, uploaded today? Uploaded this week?

brian!

I dont think roster swaps are blizzard's concern, but the idea that regionals are held on what, a two weeks notice?, and coinciding w/ an intl tourney?, like wadafa

Wait it wasnt even two weeks it was one week, so yeh hopefully dig/myin can either try to get through based on pure skill/meta understanding or they have to waste a week prepping for eu teams rather than spring champz

brian!

On further reading they do get a bye if they want, still unfair but i guess it depends on how you see it (intl experience vs. special eu prep)

Maledict

What's even weirder is the fact the second Summer regional is being held 2 days after the first.

I hate to delve into conspiracy theories, but it feels like ESL just wants to push it out of the door with the minimum effort. Either they aren't earning enough of their contract with Blizzard, or they've fucked up the scheduling or *something*.

brian!

They both get an invite to the last qualifier a week after korea if they choose not to participate this week and next week

Probably the main failing here is not charting out a schedule ahead of time so the teams have space to react

I wonder if it is in dig's best interest just to grind it out this weekend, i feel like they can get through while myin would probably want to get some intl exp. through first

Syf

Banned
hopefully the MLG acquisition is a step towards Blizz eventually just doing all the major tournament stuff in-house

Where do you get these numbers from I checked hotlogs and the leaderboard in QM had 200k and 260k unique entries respectively.

Alur

I hate to delve into conspiracy theories, but it feels like ESL just wants to push it out of the door with the minimum effort. Either they aren't earning enough of their contract with Blizzard, or they've fucked up the scheduling or *something*.

I thought it was weird (just my personal opinion here) that Blizzard was going to give out so much prize money this year in each region and do so basically three times. They pretty much tripled or more their prize allotment for 2016 over 2015. It's possible they did so and intended to lowball ESL, I guess, and here we are?

Also think it's plausible EU ESL is just a joke though. Didn't HOTS have some issues and problems with RTBC last year in EU (I think it was ESL)?

It's been far from perfect in NA scheduling wise either, but it feels like two different companies or two different agendas.

Probably the main failing here is not charting out a schedule ahead of time so the teams have space to react

ye. I think we talked about this in Dec/Jan here in thread. Why is this shit not planned out months in advance like any other esport/physical sport? Like we should know the dates for the whole year already for any Blizzard sanctioned tournament.

hopefully the MLG acquisition is a step towards Blizz eventually just doing all the major tournament stuff in-house

That's the hope but we aren't sure if the MLG acquisition was intended for Activision and Blizzard games or just something related to Activision/Call of Duty.

Where do you get these numbers from I checked hotlogs and the leaderboard in QM had 200k and 260k unique entries respectively.

A good while back (maybe even before we were out of Beta) Barrett, the owner of hotdoggies released the total number of unique players who had uploaded at least one game in his database from each region. EU had somewhere over a million and NA had somewhere shy of a million.

brian!

I do think tho, unless there was a blizz lcs style thing w/ roster locks and contract signing periods, that roster issues are on the teams themselves. Like logically you wouldnt expect summer quals to start before spring champs were decided and i feel that, but that aspect isnt really on blizz imo

Alur

My biggest disappointment is that the Spring/Summer/Fall thing isn't more LCS-like. I really thought it'd be a lot more organized all the way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom