• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alur

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE WE CAN HAZ BANS

also lol @ Syfadious bodying Milly on news breaking. GET REKT MILKY

Blizzard said:
Ranked play will use the “Mid Ban” method, which works in much the same way that bans do in official Heroes of the Storm tournaments. This method features two bans per team during each ranked draft: One round of bans before hero picks begin, and a second after three hero pick rounds have elapsed.

Whichever team wins the coin toss before drafting begins will receive first ban, and the player with the highest matchmaking rating on each team will automatically be selected to issue bans for that team during ranked games. You can identify the ban issuer on each team by the crown icon that will appear over the hero portrait.

Each team will receive 45 seconds to select a hero during the first ban round, and 30 seconds during the mid-ban round. If a hero is highlighted, it will be automatically banned when the timer expires. Also—and this is very important—if no hero is selected or highlighted before time runs out, the ban will be skipped.

We wanted to make sure the drafting phase remained relatively quick and impactful, even after bans and ban timers were added. In order to help accomplish this, we decided to reduce hero pick timers from 45 to 30 seconds so that you can get back to brawling in the Nexus as soon as possible.

Ranked now requires 14 heroes but no longer requires level 30 to play. SMURFS REJOICE...kind of.

Syf

Banned
Additionally, the row of buttons we’ve added above your favorites will help you sort heroes by role, and the search bar will allow you to find heroes by name, universe, and other keywords.

It's beautiful ;-;

Alur

Yes. Thank you yung Blizz. I can live without grandmaster for a bit longer with bans implemented.

Now we can finally stop playing QM all the time.

Alur

Yeah this has to be going on PTR before live I would think. So tomorrow? Next Tuesday?

The way it was announced feels more like next Tuesday for PTR, then the patch and Dehaka comes on the 5th. That's like 5 weeks between heroes.

brian!

Not into highest mmr bans, but it's probably not a big deal

After a month bans will prob be pretty much automatic

Man bans should increase skill across the board too, so nice

Alur

If not highest MMR how would you do it, though?

Can't wait for the first time someone uses HOTSstats for MMR loading into a match, has the highest MMR on HOTSstats, but someone else gets the bans because their internal MMR is like 100 points higher than hotdoggies.

Alavard

Personally, I'd prefer they just quit with the PTR if the time-spans are so short. Having it open for 1 or even 2 weeks is just so short and doesn't provide much benefit to anyone, regardless of what they're testing. Very little of anything reported on the PTR, whether it's balance problems or even bugs can be tested and fixed by Blizz themselves before the full release of a patch a week or two later. In the end it simply becomes a patch-preview, and might as well just be released in full.

It might be different if the philosophy was to put it up on the PTR and release after all quickly-reported bugs were fixed internally and incorporated into the patch on release. But when you announce the release date for the patch ahead of time, it kind of defeats the purpose.

Edit - not that it makes me upset or anything. I just don't see the point.

brian!

Call for swaps probably coming in soon after
Or at least reddit threads where ppl say stuff like "if you dont own x hero pleeease dont play ranked"

Alur

Oh shit, PTR is going up today boys. PATCH NOTES!!

Very little of anything reported on the PTR, whether it's balance problems or even bugs can be tested and fixed by Blizz themselves before the full release of a patch a week or two later..

Yep aren't they on record saying they can't implement changes found to be necessary on PTR before going live? Basically PTR is live, really.

Granted with their more frequent patching they can theoretically get to it quicker once it's live.

Alur

GAZLOWE
This Hero has received significant Talent changes

Demolitionist (Talent) removed

Promote (Talent) removed

Calldown: MULE (Talent) removed

First Aid (Talent) removed

Burning Rage (Talent) removed

Stoneskin (Talent) removed

Fury of the Storm (Talent) removed

Hardened Shield (Talent) removed

Salvager (Trait) and Break It Down (Talent) tooltips have been updated to match their live functionality.

New Talent (Level 20): It's Raining Scrap

Activate to create 1 Scrap every second for 5 seconds near Gazlowe. 60 second cooldown

Rock-It! Turret (Q)

Mana cost increased from 60 to 70

Range increased by approximately 27%

Long-Ranged Turrets (Talent) removed

New Talent (Level 16): Superior Schematics

Rock-It Turrets deal 25% more damage when Gazlowe is in their attack range

Deth Lazor (W)

Goblin Fusion (Talent) moved from Level 4 to Level 16

Hyperfocus Coils (Talent) moved from Level 16 to Level 7

New Talent (Level 20): Firin' Mah Lazorz

Firing a Deth Lazor now causes each Rock-It Turret to fire its own Deth Lazor as well.

Charging Deth Lazor to its second and third power levels increases the range of turrets’ Deth Lazors, but not damage.

Xplodium Charge (E)

Mana cost reduced from 70 to 60

Cooldown increased from 12 to 14 seconds

New Talent (Level 4): ARK Reaktor

Reduces the cooldown of Xplodium Bombs by 2 seconds, and adds 2 charges of Rock-It Turret when hitting an enemy Hero with Xplodium Bomb

New Talent (Level 13): X-Tra Large Bombs

Increase the cast range and radius of Xplodium Charge by 25%

Kwik Release Charge (Talent)

Cooldown between Xplodium Bomb charge uses reduced from 2 to 1 second

Robo-Goblin (R)

Functionality has been added

You can now press R to manually target active Turrets

SYLVANAS

This Hero has received significant Talent changes

Basic Attack damage increased from 74 (+4% per level) to 85 (+4% per level)

Envenom (Talent) removed

Blood for Blood (Talent) removed

Will of the Forsaken (Talent) moved from Level 16 to Level 13

Remorseless (Talent) moved from Level 7 to Level 16

Damage bonus increased from 25% to 40%

New Talent (Level 7): Possession

Turn the allegiance of a non-Catapult enemy Minion. Stores up to 3 charges

Black Arrows (Trait)

Corruption (Talent) removed

Overwhelming Affliction (Talent) moved from Level 13 to Level 16

Slow amount per stack increased from 5% to 6%

Paralysis (Talent) moved from Level 4 to Level 1

Duration bonus reduced from 100% to 75%

New Talent (Level 1): Mercenary Queen

Nearby non-Boss, allied Mercenaries deal 50% more damage

Withering Fire (Q)

Damage increased from 39 (+4% per level) to 48 (+4% per level)

Corruption (Talent) removed

Splinter Shot (Talent) removed

With the Wind (Talent) moved from Level 1 to Level 4

Barbed Shot (Talent) moved from Level 1 to Level 7

Evasive Fire (Talent) moved from Level 13 to Level 16

Overflowing Quiver (Talent)

This Talent’s functionality has changed

Now releases a free Withering Fire shot whenever a nearby enemy Minion dies. The free shot can only hit non-Heroic targets

New Talent (level 4): Withering Barrage

Gain an additional charge of Withering Fire, and charges fire 33% faster

Shadow Dagger (W)

Life Drain (Talent) moved from Level 7 to Level 13

Lost Soul (Talent) moved from Level 1 to Level 4

Now reduces the cooldown of Shadow Dagger by 1.25 seconds for each enemy Hero hit

Cold Embrace (Talent)

No longer reduces Shadow Dagger’s range

Only the initial Shadow Dagger target becomes Vulnerable

Haunting Wave (E)

Ranger’s Ambush (Talent) removed

Shade Form (Talent) removed

Windrunner (Talent) moved from Level 16 to Level 13

In addition to casting Haunting Wave twice, Withering Fire charges now refill after teleporting

New Heroic (R): Mind Control

After channeling for 1 second, gain control of an enemy Hero’s movement for 2.5 seconds

Dark Lady’s Call (Talent)

This Talent’s functionality has changed and now affects Mind Control

Now increases target’s Movement Speed by 100%

brian!

All the hopeful "maybe they wont drop this until after spring champs"...fool me 7 times blizz its on you...fool me 8 itz on me...

Maledict

This makes no sense. They said specifically that the last balance patch is what the spring regional would be played on in Korea. Unless they have a tourney server set-up?

Alur

I'm going to assume they have a tournament set-up and potentially be not shocked when they don't.

Whatever doe. Fuk those pro dudes. This patch has some meat and should be fun.

Death recaps. Several hero reworks. Bans. New UI in draft. Hotkey changes. Garden of Terror changes.

This stuff cray here:

Dragon Shire

Dragon Knight

Now immune to Attack Speed slows applied by attacks from enemy Forts and Keeps

Savage Charge (W)
Targets punted by Savage Charge will no longer be stunned after landing

Garden of Terror

Garden Terror (Player Controlled)

Basic Attack damage reduced by 15%
Basic Attacks now deal 50% damage to nearby non-Heroic enemies
Basic Attacks now instantly kill Minions

Overgrowth (W)
No longer affects Minions or Mercenaries
No longer deals damage to Structures
Garden Terror now deals 100% bonus damage to Structures disabled by Overgrowth
Maximum duration increased from 15 to 25 seconds
Cooldown increased from 15 to 25 seconds
Health increased by 100%

Gonna take me 2 days to read all these changes

Rebuilding the game one character who didn't an overhaul at a time

What the hell at some of these character changes

Block change practically makes it a requirement against autoattack assassins now

Hmmm am i reading this correctly chain bomb integrated to living bomb ?

Living Bomb (W)
Explosion radius increased by 10%
Explosions now spread Living Bomb to all nearby enemy Heroes not already affected by it
Can no longer be cast on targets already affected by Living Bomb
Chain Bomb (Talent) removed
Pyromaniac (Talent)
Cooldown reduction decreased from 2 seconds to 1 second
Fission Bomb (Talent) moved from Level 7 to Level 13
No longer increases Living Bomb damage
Bonus to Living Bomb’s explosion radius reduced from 30% to 20%
Backdraft (Talent) moved from Level 16 to Level 13
Movement Speed slow reduced from 50% to 30%
New Talent (Level 16): Sun King's Fury
Basic Attacks deal 190 (+4% per level) damage to targets affected by Living Bomb
New Talent (Level 20): Master of Flames
Living Bomb can now spread indefinitely between enemy Heroes

There are other things about KT.

Alur

I think KT, Sylv and Gaz all needed an overhaul. KT and Gaz needed one bigtime. Sylv's reliance on her 16 talent was dumb and we knew Possession/etc. were gonna get looked at eventually...particularly after the lord and savior Xul brought balance to the force.

Dat envenom removal tho

Worst change is making Garden the worst map again by making the terror work more like a Dragon Knight, preventing drive-by W Terrors and prolonging an already too-long map

Not sure how badly they've fucked Jaina's survivability

Alur

Dat envenom removal tho

Worst change is making Garden the worst map again by making the terror work more like a Dragon Knight, preventing drive-by W Terrors and prolonging an already too-long map

I think it may actually work the opposite of that. At the very least you will have to push as a unit like the other maps even if it prolongs the map. The map was actually only just barely longer than any other after the W on core changes. A negligible amount compared to the like 1 min-2 min or more + on average in the past.

The chase and drive-by mechanic are the biggest parts of why the map is widely considered the worst one still going.

That is the only change I'm confused about.

Maledict

Dat envenom removal tho

Garden is already the worse map by a long stretch though - these changes seem to be about making the terror stick in one spot and fight rather than the dumb as hell Benny Hill chase that happens everytime a terror spawns. Will be interesting to see how it plays oui.

These Illidan changes are pretty substantial, seem to be really encouraging the lifesteal and chase elements of the hero. And basic attack damage too, damn, this is crazy. Just a sample of the changes:

New Talent (Level 1): Unending Hatred
Permanently gain 0.1 Basic Attack damage for each enemy Minion killed nearby, and 1 damage for each enemy Hero killed nearby
Upon reaching 20 bonus Basic Attack damage, gain an additional 20 Basic Attack damage.

Reflexive Block (Talent)
No longer triggered by Evasion
Casting Dive now provides 3 Block charges. Each charge reduces damage taken from the next incoming Basic Attack by 75%

Betrayer's Thirst (Trait)
Healing received increased from 20% to 40% of Basic Attack damage dealt
Thrill of Battle (Talent) removed
Thirsting Blade (Talent) redesigned and moved from Level 4 to Level 7
Increases Betrayer’s Thirst healing from 40% of Basic Attack damage to 60% of Basic Attack damage while Sweeping Strike is active

New Talent (Level 16): Blades of Azzinoth
Hitting an enemy Hero with Sweeping Strike grants 1 Blades of Azzinoth stack, up to a maximum of 5.
Upon earning 5 stacks, Blades of Azzinoth can be activated to gain 50% Basic Attack damage for 8 seconds. Activation consumes all stacks.

New Talent (Level 16): Fiery Brand
Every fourth consecutive Basic Attack against the same enemy Hero deals damage equal to 6% of the target’s maximum Health

Sixth Sense (Talent)
Ability Damage reduction increased from 50% to 75%
Now only affects the first 2 Abilities that would deal damage while Evasion is active

Maledict

So talents that require you to do something are now called "Quest" talents, and a lot of them now come with a permanent bonus if you reach a certain level.

E.G. Kael gets Arcane Barrier from collecting 25 mana globes, or a permanent +50 damage to his flamestrike if he gets to +100 damage with it.

Arcane Barrier (Talent) removed
Bolt of the Storm (Talent) removed
Mana Addict (Talent)
Upon gathering 25 Regeneration Globes, Kael’thas gains the Arcane Barrier Ability.
Activate Arcane Barrier to receive a Shield equal to 100% of Kael’thas’ maximum Mana for 4 seconds. 45 second cooldown

Huh, will we see more mechanics like this in the future I wonder. Illidan has that custom Seasoned Marksman where once you stack to 20 you get another 20 bonus.

So talents that require you to do something are now called "Quest" talents, and a lot of them now come with a permanent bonus if you reach a certain level.

E.G. Kael gets Arcane Barrier from collecting 25 mana globes, or a permanent +50 damage to his flamestrike if he gets to +100 damage with it.

Ah, okay so there is a new mechanic/name. Very interesting.

The KT one is a little weird because you lose the bonus dmg if you die. It's only permanent if you can get to 100.

Illidan and Gazlowe had 8 talents removed and Tychus had 11 talents removed. Talk about overdue pruning, Tychus basically had 3 tiers worth of talents excised.

And wow did they change Tychus:

Minigun (Trait) (D)
Minigun has been redesigned
No longer requires wind-up
Activate to cause Basic Attacks against Heroes to deal bonus damage equal to 1.5% of the target’s maximum Health. Lasts 3 seconds. 12 second cooldown

Also

Crippling Spores (W)
Let Them Wither (Talent)
The Slow amount applied by Crippling Spores no longer decays over its 3 second duration
Slow amount reduced from 60% to 50%

New abathur mines ahoy.

brian!

Yo the new sylvanas ult tho
That is pretty much a less complicated version of what i envisioned lol

These "reward" talents are really interesting and meant to slow down the early game i guess, dunno how itll pan out balance-wise and whether the rewards are too great

Maledict

Was Taste for Blood on Azmodan always 1.5 seconds? That's what the talent now says, but I'm sure it was more like 0.5 seconds on the current patch.

Alur

I missed that Jaina and KT had bolt removed. Overall I think that's a good thing, though I'm not keen on the Jaina Ice Block change. Now they need to tone down Li-Ming's blink.

Alur

Didn't catch if anyone mentioned this but:

Nydus Worm (R)

While inside a Nydus Worm, Health and Mana are now restored at a rate equal to the Hall of Storms

Nydus Worm can now be cast while inside another Nydus Worm

Zagara now exits Nydus Worms instantly, and can also exit by right-clicking the minimap

That's pretty interesting. And this:

The Hunt (R)

Nowhere to Hide (Talent)

Now also passively reveals all enemy Heroes who are below 25% Health

Will be fucking hilarious in QM.

Illidan is now Bloodseeker.

I missed that Jaina and KT had bolt removed. Overall I think that's a good thing, though I'm not keen on the Jaina Ice Block change. Now they need to tone down Li-Ming's blink.

That change to Iceblock does and doesn't make sense. It makes sense in that it shuts down so many things early in the game and is the dominant pick at that talent tier but it doesn't make sense when Jaina has no mobility, and it's her lone survivability talent. Also does she now only have two talents at level 13?

She does have Stormfront still while KT lost Flamethrower, so you can play her a little more safely, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom