• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Yeah I have to admit, the camera quality has really given me pause about this phone.

Some reviews are using some crappy old European version of the phone with awful camera quality. A behind the scenes update was applied to the later reviewable phones which other reviewers managed to get. It caused the software update rumour that was travelling about.

HTCs fault for sending out crappy unfinished software.

Anandtech's review is starting to make me feel a bit more comfortable. Now I gotta figure out how to replace Visual Voicemail, iMessage, Facetime, etc....

when's this phone releasing for at&t? my 2 month old lumia 920 took a tumble at a trackday =(...it's in ok shape still but i have a huge pet peeve of scratches on my screen

April 19th, you can pre order now

Anandtech's review is starting to make me feel a bit more comfortable. Now I gotta figure out how to replace Visual Voicemail, iMessage, Facetime, etc....

Google voice/Google chat?

same here. if sprint got the 64GB version (which it doesnt - damn you at&t) and the sim card slot was unlocked for international use (sprint is being quiet about it so far), i would really consider switching over to it from my jailbroken iphone 4S 64GB.

i would miss the same things you said, like imessage and facetime, but i believe visual voicemail is carrier dependent and im pretty sure that all 4 carriers support it.

the high end 2013 phones are just now starting to coming out so it makes sense to wait imo. i also want to see how the GS4 fares as well as look at what apple and microsoft are up to for their own respective platforms.

Good choice. Only thing going for the Note II at this point is bigger screen and battery life. Everything else is worse.

Is this post supposed to be a parody? "Nope, I hate seeing what's on the screen better, and I hate it when my phone doesn't die when I use it."

I guess if you're not a "heavy user" and your focus is on how pretty the phone looks in your hand, then I guess this is a reasonable rationale. Otherwise it borders on lunacy.

HTC One

- Better screen
Xperia Z's screen is washed out and viewing angles are terrible. HTC One is the best screen most reviewers have ever seen.

- Bigger Battery
All reviews have pointed to better battery performance from the One

-Build Quality (Subjective)
HTC One is the most beautiful phone I've ever laid eyes on. Xperia Z is also gorgeous but the One takes the cake for me.

-Sense
Sense has been leaned out and is super fast. Looks much better than Sony's skin as well.

-Community Support
Hacking community has always been strong with HTC handsets. So you will see nightly builds of CM and other custom ROMs soon after the phone launches. ( I'm not into hacking so this category means shit to me)

-SoC
If you read Anandtech's review they show that the Snapdragon 600 is a worthy upgrade to the Snapdragon S4 Pro in the Z and Nexus 4. Better GPU and CPU performance. Huge jump in CPU performance from their analysis.

-Camera/Sound
Reviews are saying that the camera is one of the best they've ever used, rivaling the Lumia 920 as the best camera.

Front facing speakers....nuff said. Also HTC is working some decible and stuff to improve sound under the hood, but I'm not into that kind of stuff so I don't know too much. Only thing I know for sure is that all reviews have said that the sound is amazing. "All phones should have FFS", best speakers on a phone
Nice! Thanks for that. Im leaning towards the One now.

The anandtech review was a great read I can't believe how wide the aperture is on the One. Also it's 16:9 by default which is what I always switch my camera phones to anyways (brings the lumia 920 from 8 mega pixels to 6 at 1.4 microns vs 2.0 on the one) and the shutter speeds sound amazing even in low light which was my biggest issue with the 920

Is this post supposed to be a parody? "Nope, I hate seeing what's on the screen better, and I hate it when my phone doesn't die when I use it."

I guess if you're not a "heavy user" and your focus is on how pretty the phone looks in your hand, then I guess this is a reasonable rationale. Otherwise it borders on lunacy.

Really now? A bigger screen doesnt mean a better screen, especiqlly when the screen in the One is better quality and the battery in the One matches just about every other phone released such as the Z on standby and on screen time especially for web browsing even beats the S4. I suggest you check out the GSM arena review.

The screen on the One is better quality, it's faster, has better sound, has a better camera.

I'm not the one misinformed here.

Hell, the anandtech review just posted pretty much points to it being the best current phone on the market today.

HTC One

- Better screen
Xperia Z's screen is washed out and viewing angles are terrible. HTC One is the best screen most reviewers have ever seen.

- Bigger Battery
All reviews have pointed to better battery performance from the One

-Build Quality (Subjective)
HTC One is the most beautiful phone I've ever laid eyes on. Xperia Z is also gorgeous but the One takes the cake for me.

-Sense
Sense has been leaned out and is super fast. Looks much better than Sony's skin as well.

-Community Support
Hacking community has always been strong with HTC handsets. So you will see nightly builds of CM and other custom ROMs soon after the phone launches. ( I'm not into hacking so this category means shit to me)

-SoC
If you read Anandtech's review they show that the Snapdragon 600 is a worthy upgrade to the Snapdragon S4 Pro in the Z and Nexus 4. Better GPU and CPU performance. Huge jump in CPU performance from their analysis.

-Camera/Sound
Reviews are saying that the camera is one of the best they've ever used, rivaling the Lumia 920 as the best camera.

Front facing speakers....nuff said. Also HTC is working some decible and stuff to improve sound under the hood, but I'm not into that kind of stuff so I don't know too much. Only thing I know for sure is that all reviews have said that the sound is amazing. "All phones should have FFS", best speakers on a phone

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_vs_xperia_z-review-917p9.php

"Winner: Sony Xperia Z. The color rendering and HDR could have been better, but if Sony tweaks its image processing algorithms, the Xperia Z can put out some pretty good shots. Even as things stand now though, it has an advantage over the HTC One."

Also, Xperia phones will have better community support. Every single time.

Sense is still awful. Always has been. They just need to junk it. Amazingly HTC have just announced an AOSP phone, HTC First is AOSP and you can just uninstall FB Home to revert to stock. Facebook doing what HTC won't.

RIP Nokia. new low light king.

same here. if sprint got the 64GB version (which it doesnt - damn you at&t) and the sim card slot was unlocked for international use (sprint is being quiet about it so far), i would really consider switching over to it from my jailbroken iphone 4S 64GB.

i would miss the same things you said, like imessage and facetime, but i believe visual voicemail is carrier dependent and im pretty sure that all 4 carriers support it.

the high end 2013 phones are just now starting to coming out so it makes sense to wait imo. i also want to see how the GS4 fares as well as look at what apple and microsoft are up to for their own respective platforms.
does the Sprint version actually have a SIM slot?

Wow, you are a lunatic even in Android thread. Not everyone want to carry a giant ass phone around. Big screen is nice for reading but it still not as good as dedicate device like iPad mini or even Nexus 7. Smartphone for many is to check info on the go and not a replacement for heavy duty reading, so size do matter. Battery is the only nice feature since it is Android and HTC after all.

Only thing this thing is missing from my 920 is wireless charging. I am going to wait for more real world impression before getting one.

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_vs_xperia_z-review-917p9.php

"Winner: Sony Xperia Z. The color rendering and HDR could have been better, but if Sony tweaks its image processing algorithms, the Xperia Z can put out some pretty good shots. Even as things stand now though, it has an advantage over the HTC One."

Also, Xperia phones will have better community support. Every single time.

Sense is still awful. Always has been. They just need to junk it. Amazingly HTC have just announced an AOSP phone, HTC First is AOSP and you can just uninstall FB Home to revert to stock. Facebook doing what HTC won't.

Someone needs to read the Anandtech review.

Yep, and iMessage can be replaced by Whatsapp and Facetime can be swapped for Skype.
Whatsapp isn't a good replacement for imessage from what I've read. I want something that will try for data usage automatically but then default to SMS if it's not possible. Everything I read says everyone needs whatsapp. Skype was always a huge battery drain in the past so I am skeptical leaving it running all the time in order to replicate FaceTime always being available.

Talon

Yep, and iMessage can be replaced by Whatsapp and Facetime can be swapped for Skype.
I think his point is that they're platform native, so they're seamless. With iMessage, you only worry about one application for all of your messaging because SMS and iMessages are merged. You don't have to think about it. Same with FaceTime, awfully convenient to just transfer an ongoing voice call into a video call.

As with all platform choices, there are gives and takes that ultimately even out nowadays.

Whatsapp isn't a good replacement for imessage from what I've read. I want something that will try for data usage automatically but then default to SMS if it's not possible. Everything I read says everyone needs whatsapp. Skype was always a huge battery drain in the past so I am skeptical leaving it running all the time in order to replicate FaceTime always being available.

Well iMessage is the only one i'm aware of to switch between SMS and Data on the fly.

However both Skype and Whatsapp have a major advantage over iMessage and Facetime, and thats multiple devices. You need both parties to have an iPhone with what you have.

I really don't. Anand is (and always has been) so far up HTC's arse it's not worth bothering with.

Denial? Fair enough.

you might want to return your order...

Denial? Fair enough.

to be fair, Anand has always been a bit of a HTC/Qualcomm fanboy... but the review really does speak for itself.

Denial? Fair enough.

Not in the slightest. I've never denied that it is a decent phone. I just don't think it's going to save the company as Peter Chou thinks it will. It's going to sell worse than the other two major Android flagships (Xperia Z, GS4) by a very long distance and it costs more to produce than both.

I've said here a couple of times, it probably is the best Android device available right now in terms of hardware, but Sense is still a piece of shit, HTC's software support is still spotty to terrible (I say this as the owner of a Sensation btw, it's from experience) and it doesn't have expandable storage and I'm a heavy media user (I have a 64GB card in my Sensation right now full of videos, music and pics from travelling I take with my real camera). For these reasons I am jumping on the ZL train, just waiting for it to filter through Germany into the UK.

HTC are acting like this is the device that will save them, I don't think it is, and given they can't even produce them with any kind of decent volume it probably won't be because it's going to get steamrolled by the GS4 in three weeks.

It's a good device, not great, I would rate the GS3 above it still if I were recommending someone a phone to buy today that they had to have one right this minute, either that or Xperia Z/ZL. If HTC can prove that they are serious about software support and bring back SD cards then I might take them seriously. Until then why even bother.

Also, whatever Anand says about the camera is bunk, I put the link there, it's pretty clear that the One struggles with detail, even agains the blurry POS Xperia Z photos it can't keep up, against the burst mode ones it is a very clear loser. In the 100% scaled crop it's not even close:

crop1.jpg

crop3.jpg

The second is scaled to 4MP which is a like for like comparison and the Z has a very, very clear win for detail and resolution.

And with burst mode it's just embarrassing for the One:

crop4.jpg

Ultrapixels are not very ultra for regular photography. For night time photography it's a revelation, but that's little comfort for most users.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Every tech site review of One X in short: "We like this phone because it's pretty, let's ignore all its shortcomings because of that."

Chinner

Banned
everything i read about this phone leads me to think its a strong product, but the design really puts me off. i'm very tired of the iphone design, and the one just seems to reminisce of that design too much, so it puts me off.

reKon

Banned
I have a feeling that one of the hidden gems here that people won't realize is awesome is the dual front speakers. If people upgrade from the One in the future, I think that they'll be expecting this design for flagships*

* If HTC lives to see another day

kitch9

Banned
Auto iso is bugged hence the grainy pictures some are seeing. Manual iso sorts it. The iso confusion will be fixed in 1.29 firmware.

Not in the slightest. I've never denied that it is a decent phone. I just don't think it's going to save the company as Peter Chou thinks it will. It's going to sell worse than the other two major Android flagships (Xperia Z, GS4) by a very long distance and it costs more to produce than both.

I've said here a couple of times, it probably is the best Android device available right now in terms of hardware, but Sense is still a piece of shit, HTC's software support is still spotty to terrible (I say this as the owner of a Sensation btw, it's from experience) and it doesn't have expandable storage and I'm a heavy media user (I have a 64GB card in my Sensation right now full of videos, music and pics from travelling I take with my real camera). For these reasons I am jumping on the ZL train, just waiting for it to filter through Germany into the UK.

HTC are acting like this is the device that will save them, I don't think it is, and given they can't even produce them with any kind of decent volume it probably won't be because it's going to get steamrolled by the GS4 in three weeks.

It's a good device, not great, I would rate the GS3 above it still if I were recommending someone a phone to buy today that they had to have one right this minute, either that or Xperia Z/ZL. If HTC can prove that they are serious about software support and bring back SD cards then I might take them seriously. Until then why even bother.

Also, whatever Anand says about the camera is bunk, I put the link there, it's pretty clear that the One struggles with detail, even agains the blurry POS Xperia Z photos it can't keep up, against the burst mode ones it is a very clear loser. In the 100% scaled crop it's not even close:

crop1.jpg

crop3.jpg

The second is scaled to 4MP which is a like for like comparison and the Z has a very, very clear win for detail and resolution.

And with burst mode it's just embarrassing for the One:

crop4.jpg

Ultrapixels are not very ultra for regular photography. For night time photography it's a revelation, but that's little comfort for most users.

100X zoom comparisons and calling the anand review partly bunk without seeing it? Yeah.

100X zoom comparisons and calling the anand review partly bunk without seeing it? Yeah.

So how do you explain the middle picture which is scaled to 4MP (native resolution for HTC)? Oh that's right, you can't. Because in regular lighting Ultrapixels are not particularly ultra.

So how do you explain the middle picture which is scaled to 4MP (native resolution for HTC)? Oh that's right, you can't. Because in regular lighting Ultrapixels are not particularly ultra.

I'm not an expert on these matters, neither are you from the sounds of it. However i've read enough expert reviews to make an informed decision on my phone, and the Z or ZL isn't even worth considering in my book. Not against the One or S4.

Seems only a select few on here seem to be dead set against the One, even so far as refusing to look at probably the deepest review of a phone I have ever seen. Keep your head in the sand though.

I'm not an expert on these matters, neither are you from the sounds of it. However i've read enough expert reviews to make an informed decision on my phone, and the Z or ZL isn't even worth considering in my book. Not against the One or S4.

Seems only a select few on here seem to be dead set against the One, even so far as refusing to look at probably the deepest review of a phone I have ever seen. Keep your head in the sand though.

Owner of an NEX-6 and RX100, previously a Canon 40D which got stolen. I know about photography. The HTC One pictures have a lack of detail because of the low MP count, it's really that simple. In a like for like comparison (one where photos from rival cameras are scaled to match the 4MP resolution) it will lose every time in normal lighting (it loses to the Xperia Z which has terribly over-smoothed high NR pictures, that's bad). Only in low light where sensel size matters does the One have a decent showing. Not to mention that Sony could (I don't think they will since the mobile division is run by a bunch of idiots) push an update to fix the camera post-processing and then it would utterly destroy the One's camera in regular lighting. Like tino has said in the main Android thread, if they wanted to go for a low MP count then they should have gone for a non-standard pixel array which would give them higher detail levels even with the lower MP count and small sensor. Look at the Fuji X-Trans sensor for more detail but it does at APS-C what other companies including Canon and Sony (market leaders for camera sensors) can only achieve with Full Frame sensors.

GSMArena's review is always the gold standard. Anand for whatever reason is a huge Qualcomm fanboy and ever since they invested in HTC he also became a huge HTC fanboy. I have no idea why, you would have to ask him. I get that Qualcomm make solid products, the SD600 is the market leader for performance per watt, but Anand takes that to another level.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Are phone prices purposefully bloated to persuade us into contracts?

I don't mind being on a contract at all. The thing is, honestly, I'm gonna use whatever smartphone I buy for the next 24 months, anyway.

I had a first-gen iPhone after waiting in line and dropping $600 on it. An astronomical amount of money, it felt like... but also "worth it", as it was unlike any mass-market phone before it. From there, I was pushed into a contract when I upgraded to a 3GS -> 4S -> to my current iPhone 5. Obviously, I have a little over a year before I can snag another subsidized phone.

But man, that HTC One is the first phone to really call to me. Firstly - I'm a sucker for build quality and craftsmanship. I'm not saying the Galaxy phones are necessarily "bad", but the plastic definitely feels like a big jump down from my iP5. Secondly, screen quality is very important to me. I have an IPS monitor at home. A retina Macbook Pro. A retina iPad. And my next TV will definitely be a plasma. From every review, the One is one of the best screens on the market.

And finally, a super clean and easy-to-read, elegant and FAST look for the OS.

But I'm not ready to ditch my iPhone, yet. I really love my iPhone - honestly, there's nothing I don't like about it, except for the scratching on the bezel and the sub-1080p display.

If I could snag a One off-contract for $300 or so to compliment my iPhone, I'd do it in a second. But as it stands, I'll probably just wait for the iPhone 5S :-/

twofold

HTC had a choice.

They could have used a camera that takes great day light shots and awful low light shots, like pretty much every camera bar the 920, or they could use a camera that takes great low light shots and average daylight shots. They went with the second option which, in my opinion, was the better choice.

The camera quality will be good enough for Facebook, instagram, etc., anyway, meaning it'll be more than good enough for the majority of HTC one owners.

Owner of an NEX-6 and RX100, previously a Canon 40D which got stolen. I know about photography. The HTC One pictures have a lack of detail because of the low MP count, it's really that simple. In a like for like comparison (one where photos from rival cameras are scaled to match the 4MP resolution) it will lose every time in normal lighting (it loses to the Xperia Z which has terribly over-smoothed high NR pictures, that's bad). Only in low light where sensel size matters does the One have a decent showing. Not to mention that Sony could (I don't think they will since the mobile division is run by a bunch of idiots) push an update to fix the camera post-processing and then it would utterly destroy the One's camera in regular lighting. Like tino has said in the main Android thread, if they wanted to go for a low MP count then they should have gone for a non-standard pixel array which would give them higher detail levels even with the lower MP count and small sensor. Look at the Fuji X-Trans sensor for more detail but it does at APS-C what other companies including Canon and Sony (market leaders for camera sensors) can only achieve with Full Frame sensors.

GSMArena's review is always the gold standard. Anand for whatever reason is a huge Qualcomm fanboy and ever since they invested in HTC he also became a huge HTC fanboy. I have no idea why, you would have to ask him. I get that Qualcomm make solid products, the SD600 is the market leader for performance per watt, but Anand takes that to another level.

Doesn't a higher MP picture downsampled always produce higher quality pictures than a lower MP camera at native res? I was told that you should always take pictures at the highest MP possible then downsample to requested size, rather than adjust the MP size in the camera beforehand.

yeah, i can't really recommend the Z or ZL over the One or GS4.. well, unless you REALLY REALLY want a waterproof phone, then get the Z.

Doesn't a higher MP picture downsampled always produce higher quality pictures than a lower MP camera at native res? I was told that you should always take pictures at the highest MP possible then downsample to requested size, rather than adjust the MP size in the camera beforehand.

Well it depends on what you want, if you resize from native resolution you get a big supersampling bonus, the PureView 808 from Nokia works on this principle. If you change the MP in the camera it crops the sensor, people do this to get the "zoom" bonus as 35mm equivalent zoom range of the lens will suddenly be much longer with the cropped sensor. That's why going for the low MP count with a traditional pixel array yields such poor photos in regular conditions.

We get it. You love big plastic phones from samsung. Gotcha. Noted. Cool.

Move along...

Most people I know take pics on their phones in low light conditions. Most people i know take pics on their phone and throw them up on facebook. This camera is perfect for that. Who's anecdotal evidence is more right?!

The camera phone 'power users' are a minority.

Owner of an NEX-6 and RX100, previously a Canon 40D which got stolen. I know about photography.

lol what?

Because you own two high end point and shoots you are some photography expert? Okay... at least you got really nice point and shoots i suppose.

The only DSLR that you owned just happened to get stolen... right...

Also, if you have two high end point and shoots both of which are very expensive, why are you so concerned with the camera in your phone? You bought $1500 worth of cameras just so you could leave them at home and use your phone instead?

Right...

lol what?

Because you own two high end point and shoots you are some photography expert? Okay... at least you got really nice point and shoots i suppose.

The only DSLR that you owned just happened to get stolen... right...

Also, if you have two high end point and shoots both of which are very expensive, why are you so concerned with the camera in your phone? You bought $1500 worth of cameras just so you could leave them at home and use your phone instead?

Right...

Hahaha, NEX-6 a point a shoot. You have the gall to call me out and then say the NEX-6 is a point a shoot. Yes my Canon did get stolen, it's actually pretty well chronicled on GAF, I suffered a break in late last year and pretty much all of my electronic equipment was stolen, I discussed my buying options at length in the Camera megathread, it came down to the XE-1 and the NEX-6. I got the NEX-6 because of better legacy support from guys like Metabones who make adapters for E-Mount.

The best camera is the one you have with you, and again, it's not about what I want, clearly I care about photography more than the average user which is why I bought an expensive compact that doesn't compromise on IQ, but most people aren't going to do that. The HTC One camera is poor in normal light, worse than the processed pictures from the Xperia Z (and those are pretty awful) and much worse than iPhone 5 and it will take a very big loss against GS4 when we get some picture samples from reviews in a couple of weeks as it uses the same sensor as Xperia Z but won't be held back by Sony's terrible processing.

Hahaha, NEX-6 a point a shoot. You have the gall to call me out and then say the NEX-6 is a point a shoot. Yes my Canon did get stolen, it's actually pretty well chronicled on GAF, I suffered a break in late last year and pretty much all of my electronic equipment was stolen, I discussed my buying options at length in the Camera megathread, it came down to the XE-1 and the NEX-6. I got the NEX-6 because of better legacy support from guys like Metabones who make adapters for E-Mount.

The best camera is the one you have with you, and again, it's not about what I want, clearly I care about photography more than the average user which is why I bought an expensive compact that doesn't compromise on IQ, but most people aren't going to do that. The HTC One camera is poor in normal light, worse than the processed pictures from the Xperia Z (and those are pretty awful) and much worse than iPhone 5 and it will take a very big loss against GS4 when we get some picture samples from reviews in a couple of weeks as it uses the same sensor as Xperia Z but won't be held back by Sony's terrible processing.

Its ILC at least but its still a point in shoot. It's still not as capable as a DSLR or SLT

Its ILC at least but its still a point in shoot. If it was as capable as a DSLR or SLT it would be called that.

Okay, really, lets take a look at that claim.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-nex-6/21

Mess around with that all you like. NEX-6 has the leading 16MP APS-C sensor. APS-C is APS-C is APS-C. Whether it is in a Canon SLR or a Sony SLT/NEX it's the same sensor size. Just because MILCs are compact it doesn't mean they have worse IQ. The new entry level NEX-3N will wipe the floor with pretty much all entry level Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Sony full sized SLR cameras.

Seriously, you call me out but you know absolutely fucking zero about this subject. Literally fucking nothing.

Okay, really, lets take a look at that claim.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-nex-6/21

Mess around with that all you like. NEX-6 has the leading 16MP APS-C sensor. APS-C is APS-C is APS-C. Whether it is in a Canon SLR or a Sony SLT/NEX it's the same sensor size. Just because MILCs are compact it doesn't mean they have worse IQ. The new entry level NEX-3N will wipe the floor with pretty much all entry level Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Sony full sized SLR cameras.

Seriously, you call me out but you know absolutely fucking zero about this subject. Literally fucking nothing.

I've already read the review on dpreview, thanks. How much info can you regurgitate?

Yeah, i know nothing, except to use my DSLR for photography instead of leaving it at home and bitching about my camera phone lolol

edit---

add more 'fucking' to your posts - it makes you tough on the internet!

Chinner

Banned
quite interesting observing this debate. zomg putting forward an argument, and mastershake trying to counter it not by proving his own argument, but by trying to discredits zomgs/

did i say interesting? more like tedious.

Chinner

Banned
guyz, i have a zl, please do not batter the xperia phones too much because i will cry and then my tears will break the zl because it is not the waterproof model.

Top Bottom