• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Agentnibs

Is the re-focusing that you see throughout a result of youtube or the phone?

The phone, There was light and people everywhere so it prob made it tough for thé camera. Also I may have also forced it to focus by accidentally touching the screen. I certainly didn't do it any favors with my poor camera man skills lol

The speakers on this thing are very very good. I'm very curious as to how they're getting that kind of sound out of them. The ear buds are also no slouch either. They're not Grades but they seem to be a great value to have with the phone.

Blackhead

Redarse
Hey HTC One owners, how sharp is this 4.7" 1080p screen?

Test it here on the GAF site. Change to desktop mode and try reading a thread in portrait orientation wthout zooming in. Is it possible?

The speakers on this thing are very very good. I'm very curious as to how they're getting that kind of sound out of them. The ear buds are also no slouch either. They're not Grades but they seem to be a great value to have with the phone.

The speakers on this phone are CRAZY loud. I had my alarm on it this morning and i nearly jumped because it was so freakin' loud.

I'm also really liking HTC Zoe. It reminds me of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtyIZNBzrok

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
My Best Buy FINALLY got a display unit.

Man, this is a GORGEOUS phone. Even in person it's stunning. The screen really is gorgeous. For a long time, I've said 4.3" is the sweet spot on a smartphone - and that I wish Apple would go just a tiny bit bigger to hit it. However, after playing with the One, I gotta say my opinion might be changing. Somehow, HTC managed to make the large screen manageable. I'm not sure if it's the tapered edges, small bezel, rounded back, or what - but the screen isn't nearly as overbearing as some of the other Android phones out there.

Screen is beautiful - crazy sharp with great color and contrast. I did notice the viewing angle was ever so slightly smaller than that of my iPhone 5 - but not in a way that would be detrimental. It was definitely more crisp than the 5 - not that the iPhone is even kind of bad; but unquestionably, the One was better.

Everything was plenty fast. There is a hiccup every time I'd "unlock" an app from the lockscreen. There was a moment's hesitation going from the lockscreen to the web, or to messages. Again, wouldn't hurt the experience; but it's definitely noticeable and a tad disappointing. Funny, I recognize stuff like that is no big deal - but it's frustrating that it isn't completely solved by now.

Sound was definitely an improvement over what I'm used to. Watched a Youtube video and everything was plenty loud and clear, even in the store. Granted, 90% of the time you'll use headphones, anyway - but it's nice to know when passing your phone around, everyone will be able to hear just fine.

I didn't really like the way the "live tile" (buzzfeed) flipped as you scrolled. It's like it always went to the next "set" of tiles, rather than letting you inch through them at your own pace. Again, not a huge deal - but not how I'd prefer them to work.

Power button on the left/top is stupid. I hate it.

Build quality was very nice. Definitely right up there with Apple. Curious to see how it lasts long-term. The "knick-gate" was a huge story at launch; but say what you will - my black iPhone 5 still looks great after going case-less since day one. If the One can hold up just as well - then I'll have to admit another manufacturer finally got on Apple's level - and that's a huge deal, IMO.

Web pages rendered quickly and I like the way text is rendered. For reference - One of the biggest things I hate about the Lumina 920 is I absolutely HATE how text is rendered on web pages.

Unfortunately, though, it didn't load more than about half the pictures on picture-heavy pages - such as the funny pics thread here, the Verge homepage, or an anandtech gallery. My iPad 3 has this same issue a lot - and my iPhone 5 will do it if I have a lot of tabs open. But I only had one tab open on the One and it did this. MAy have been the internet - can't say for sure - but definitely a bit disappointing.

Overall, though, I was very pleased. It really is only the second phone that has me debating jumping ship - the first being the Lumina 920.

There are two big things that are my top priorities for a phone right now - build quality and "general snappiness" of the OS. Two things I personally don't think Apple has been beat on... .... yet. But the Lumina 920 was close - and the One is definitely closer. And the higher-res screen is a BIG plus, for me.

I am torn between getting the HTC One and the Sony Xperia Z. I love the look of the HTC One and the specs seem good, but I am put off by the blink feed which I don't think I would use. I like the look of the Sony, I also think it is cool how it is waterproof but I don't know whether it is better than the HTC One.

I will be jumping ship from an iPhone 4S, I would wanna sync my iTunes with it somehow, and connect it to my laptop (Macbook) to get photos.

I am torn between getting the HTC One and the Sony Xperia Z. I love the look of the HTC One and the specs seem good, but I am put off by the blink feed which I don't think I would use. I like the look of the Sony, I also think it is cool how it is waterproof but I don't know whether it is better than the HTC One.

I will be jumping ship from an iPhone 4S, I would wanna sync my iTunes with it somehow, and connect it to my laptop (Macbook) to get photos.

I weny through this process. Get all your music into Google play. They offer software for this.

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1229970

Also transfer your contacts into Gmail if you haven't already. I've been using Google+ to upload my photos. iPhoto has always been awful. In + my photos are immediately uploaded into the cloud and off my phone. You'll do a whole lot less plugging into a computer with an Android phone as I've learned over the past 4 months.

If you don't like the blink feed, it shouldn't be a problem. You can easily set another screen to be your homepage.

buhdeh

8669230950_32235f5bd9_c.jpg

8668128939_1a3df3aacd_c.jpg

oh god...

Husker86

Hmm, checked in the app but couldn't find anything about the LED. I just turned off notifications entirely for GroupMe for now.

Have you tried LightFlow app? I'm pretty sure it overrides whatever notification settings are there by default. You might need the paid version to select certain specific apps though.

get the HTC One!

oh, and there are ways and apps to transfer and sync any Android phone with your apple stuff. like iSyncr.

When moving from iOS to android what about apps bought through the app store? Those are gone forever, huh? Or if there a way to let you download android versions of the apps for free?

When moving from iOS to android what about apps bought through the app store? Those are gone forever, huh? Or if there a way to let you download android versions of the apps for free?

That's it. Things like comixology of course allow you to keep in app purchases. I realized as an iPhone user I barely used apps other than Google stuff. Decided to give android a whirl and it stuck hard. Went from Nexus 4 to Note 2 to One. This is it. I also picked up a Nexus 10 which I really enjoy.

That's it. Things like comixology of course allow you to keep in app purchases. I realized as an iPhone user I barely used apps other than Google stuff. Decided to give android a whirl and it stuck hard. Went from Nexus 4 to Note 2 to One. This is it. I also picked up a Nexus 10 which I really enjoy.

This will be my first time giving the Android ecosystem a spin. All I know is if Apple doesn't release a 4.7-5 inch (or even bigger) phone here in the next year or so, I will probably be gone for good. I don't want to keep jumping back and forth and losing stuff along the way.

This will be my first time giving the Android ecosystem a spin. All I know is if Apple doesn't release a 4.7-5 inch (or even bigger) phone here in the next year or so, I will probably be gone for good. I don't want to keep jumping back and forth and losing stuff along the way.

Perhaps pick up a Nexus 7 to get a feel for the OS?

Dead

well not really...yet
Fuuuck, played around with this last night and now I want it. Pretty close to straight up buying it

Would be my 3rd phone in about 6 months :(

Fuuuck, played around with this last night and now I want it. Pretty close to straight up buying it

Would be my 3rd phone in about 6 months :(

Swore up and down I wanted buy it. Picked it up and I was sold. They nailed the ergonomics. The phone just looks like the future

The remote control app on this phone is godlike. Took about a minute to recognize all my devices and pretty much stopped my need for my harmony one.

Only downside is it doesn't have my exact channel lineup on the guide, not a big deal though.

The remote control app on this phone is godlike. Took about a minute to recognize all my devices and pretty much stopped my need for my harmony one.

Only downside is it doesn't have my exact channel lineup on the guide, not a big deal though.

I love that it can not only control the TV and cable box but also a receiver. I felt this was really missing in the Wii U implementation as all my sound is pumping through the Onkyo 818.

teiresias

Damn this is a gorgeous phone. I moved to the Samsung S3 from my HTC EVO 4G and couldn't really stand the version of Sense on the original EVO - though this version doesn't look as horrible as it has in the past.

Still, I'd probably get Cyanogenmod on the thing as soon as I possibly could either way, but the hardware is gorgeous. Unfortunately, I still have a year on my Sprint contract, but I'm thinking of going to T-Mobile when it runs out, so we'll see what's out then.

The speakers are really awesome..finally the alarms and alerts are loud enough.....also makes GPS usuable.

The TV ir blaster thing is actually really usable and it's so simple to set up.

Addnan

Quick question. What type of sim card does this use. Will pick it up today if the sale of my 4S goes through. Can I just stick that in there. Think its a micro sim in that.

Top Bottom