• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

negitoro7

Picked it up Friday and spent all weekend setting it up and learning (came from a blackberry 9900).

Love the thing, but how do I set it up so that the screen turns off after a minute or two, but doesn't require the physical power button press to unlock? ie. I can just touch the screen to wake it up if I choose to not lock it. I'd much prefer this anytime my phone is just sitting on my desk at home or at work. Obviously I'd still lock it if it's in my pocket.

Is this possible?

So I'm thinking of ditching my Iphone 4 for an Andorid of some sort...if only just to switch it up.

I have a few questions.

1. This or a S4? This looks pretty cool and obviously the s4 is the premier android (kinda?) but is there enough difference between the two to make a big deal..they are the same price after all?

2. I have a ton of ITUNES music that I would like to still acess...I heard you can use google play to still use that..it's not a big deal but it was the only thing truly keeping me locked into IOS as I don't play/buy a lot of apps. Is there a way to still use my itunes music?

3.Anything else I need to know coming from IOS?

Probably gonna buy one while I have a job and can justify buying a 200 (give or take) phone.

abunai

Picked it up Friday and spent all weekend setting it up and learning (came from a blackberry 9900).

Love the thing, but how do I set it up so that the screen turns off after a minute or two, but doesn't require the physical power button press to unlock? ie. I can just touch the screen to wake it up if I choose to not lock it. I'd much prefer this anytime my phone is just sitting on my desk at home or at work. Obviously I'd still lock it if it's in my pocket.

Is this possible?

Custom kernels can implement sweep2wake which does what you are asking. Developers will probably create a custom kernel with this feature in it (eventually), but when/if those kernels are eventually released, you'd need to root and unlock your phone to install the kernel.

questions

1. Your choice. S4 has a plastic body but removable sd card/battery etc. Do you prefer a better looking/feeling unibody, with locked in battery/storage (One) or user-expandable/replaceable parts (S4)?
2. You can download the Google Music manager and it'll have an option to import and upload your iTunes library, but it'll take time. Or you can manually import the files. There's a lot of articles on exporting iTunes to google music, according to a google search.
3. Android is more flexible? idk. If you're looking for a short answer, it's probably just customisation and productivity. Apps aren't always as high quality as iOS but the differential is decreasing all the time.

So I'm thinking of ditching my Iphone 4 for an Andorid of some sort...if only just to switch it up.

I have a few questions.

1. This or a S4? This looks pretty cool and obviously the s4 is the premier android (kinda?) but is there enough difference between the two to make a big deal..they are the same price after all?

2. I have a ton of ITUNES music that I would like to still acess...I heard you can use google play to still use that..it's not a big deal but it was the only thing truly keeping me locked into IOS as I don't play/buy a lot of apps. Is there a way to still use my itunes music?

Probably gonna buy one while I have a job and can justify buying a 200 (give or take) phone.

1.) Depends who you ask and whats most important to you. This phone has amazing build quality and looks fantastic. The S4 has a slightly bigger screen, removable memory, replaceable battery, comes with a newer version of Android, will receive updates quicker than HTC One.

2.) There are apps to put your iTunes music on phone

3.) I'm coming from iOS also but I'm going with the S4. I want this phone to last me a while and it comes down to software and support for me. So I went with S4.

1). The Samsung will be a great phone. One of the big differences will be screen size and touchwiz. I'd suggest putting a Samsung device in your hand to see if you like the feel. People complain about the plastic feel but it didn't bother me at all on the Note 2. I personally enjoy the Sense interface more as it looks more serious where s I felt Samsung's was a little childish.

2). iTunes music is very easy to shift over. Google had a piece of software that uploads all your iTunes into Play. You can continue to use iTunes for your purchases as well just not from your phone.

3). Coming from iOS Android can seem daunting at first. Almost like your normally write with your right hand and are now being forced to use your left. Buy somewhere that has a fair return policy and give it a week.

I went from iPhone 5 to nexus 4 to Note 2 to the HTC. I love the feel of this device. Nexus 4 had almost completely turned me off to Android. Awful build quality stepping off an ios device.

I have a few questions.

I have a few questions.

1. if you're switching just to switch it up, you should rethink that. if you REALLY want to switch, then either handset is a good choice, it depends on if you want something that feels more like an iPhone (the One) or something that has removable battery and SD card slot (the GS4). also, keep in mind that the GS4 comes with 16GB standard while the One comes with 32GB for around the same price.

2. if you're in a supported country (or i've read that you can do the initial setup with a proxy), you can sync your iTunes music to Google Play Music. there are also apps that will sync your iTunes DB from your PC directly to the phone, such as iSyncr and doubleTwist.

3. the back button is your friend.

how's the battery life for this phone?

should last all day

Addnan

4S doesn't have LTE. I'm not sure if that matters if you want to access LTE on the One, but I'll just throw that out there.
I know. My network doesn't offer LTE in the UK yet so that's okay. edit: or maybe it does, but my current plan does not. I can switch pretty easily. Hmm, maybe I should

Got it few hours ago, it is beautiful. Wow. Still getting the hang of everything, but it feels good and I am liking the black.

PKyirW1l.jpg

Amazing. Do want. Currently running an iPhone 4S but either this or the Sony Z is very very tempting.

Is that wallpaper standard? It's really nice!

reKon

Banned
When you guys talk about battery life with this phone, try to be a little descriptive on what you were going with it and how long you were on 4G or 3G. I know that GSMArena has battery tests where the HTC One can last 10 hours on Wifi, but that's on wifi... that kind of battery life wouldn't be realistic if you're in a big city...

VoxPop

Okay so my unlocked one shipped from HTC and I'm thinking of returning the one I got from AT&T back.

Would I be able to return the phone even if it was opened and used? I know there is a $35 restocking fee.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Okay so my unlocked one shipped from HTC and I'm thinking of returning the one I got from AT&T back.

Would I be able to return the phone even if it was opened and used? I know there is a $35 restocking fee.

yeah, should be no problem.

When you guys talk about battery life with this phone, try to be a little descriptive on what you were going with it and how long you were on 4G or 3G. I know that GSMArena has battery tests where the HTC One can last 10 hours on Wifi, but that's on wifi... that kind of battery life wouldn't be realistic if you're in a big city...

I always run 95% WiFi so I'm no help lol

and screenshot the battery stats and screen on!

NvCq0Tw.png
dNCE9kq.png

this was from the day of the boston marathon :(

that 4+ hour stretch of solid screen on in the middle was from when i was streaming video from http://boston.cbslocal.com/live-video/

kharma45

I know. My network doesn't offer LTE in the UK yet so that's okay. edit: or maybe it does, but my current plan does not. I can switch pretty easily. Hmm, maybe I should

Got it few hours ago, it is beautiful. Wow. Still getting the hang of everything, but it feels good and I am liking the black.

PKyirW1l.jpg

Looks good, like it a lot better in black. Wasn't too keen on the front of the silver one but that looks much better.

actually this phone is similar to the iphone 5 where it actually excels at LTE rather than other phones where LTE hurts the battery.

Anyway the battery is definitely good. But once again it's all BS comparisons because of the tons of different configurations that are possible. I'm talking brightness setting, blinkfeed use, update/push settings, your network connection.

My battery is surprisingly good but I don't use blinkfeed, my network connection is great, and I don't push a ton of shit, only emails. I don't use auto brightness either because it skews a little high for my liking, I just put it at 60-65ish.

Jigolo

Went to my local T-mo store to see if they have some in house yet... apparently they get there on Wends. damnit I want to try one out

VoxPop

Shots of my AT&T One in its case before I switch it out for my unlocked one. In the end I'm glad I went with silver although the black one is awesome too.

My impressions of it so far in comparison to my iPhone 5

Screen- The screen is simply gorgeous. 1080P 4.7" goodness. It's a nice upgrade coming up from my iPhone 5. Definitely a huge difference from the S3 as well. Everything is really crisp and I'm overall very satisfied with it.

Build - Man, I didn't really put this thing on a pedestal till I got it in hand and just realized how nice it looks. Really makes my iPhone look like a toy which I didn't think I'd ever say. I love the two tone front of the silver version, and while I do have some irks about how the back looks, it's still a very beautiful phone. I'd probably say the best at the moment. I always wanted a full unibody aluminum phone when I first saw concepts of the HTC Eden

but I think they have surpassed it handsomely with the One. It feels really sturdy in hand (still petrified at the idea of dropping it) and I am in love with the volume rocker as many have stated :) I just wish the LED was just a tad brighter and had more colors.

Speakers - Speakers are absolutely wonderful! Not as loud as I expected but it blows anything else I've used out of the water. All really clear and pleasing to the ears. I've never took speakers into the consideration of a purchase but from now on I just might have to.

Sense - I am pleasantly surprised at what Sense has accomplished. It doesn't feel like a hindrance like TouchWiz was on my S3. Also nowhere near as hideous. It ALMOST feels like I'm running a more modern Android version. I really love the idea of Blinkfeed and that it is available at a moments notice unlike opening up an RSS reader. The typography choice was pretty good as well. Despite loving much of sense I just couldn't stand the widget system. I also am constantly theming my phones so I need a more versatile launcher. I do wish I had BlinkFeed with other launchers though.

Camera - I am no photography aficionado by any means but I like the shots I've taken on the one. I'd say the iPhone camera is a little clearer in some pictures but I'd say they're about the same. I absolutely love Zoe though. Might be using the camera a whole lot more now :)

Battery - I did the whole draining on your first power on to fully charging thing. I spent the entire day playing with it the next day, installing all my apps, configuring, trying out vids, taking pics, chatting via gtalk, etc. I went about a good 10 hours till i was at about 10%. I must warn you though I do not currently have a phone service installed on it since I'm waiting for my sim to arrive. Still using my iPhone till the end of the week so I have entirely tested this phone on WiFi. The battery has been good to me and pretty much meets todays standards. I'd say it on par or slightly longer than my iPhone, much longer than my old S3, MUCH MUCH MUCH more than my old Galaxy Nexus and I'd say its pretty standard today from what you'd expect.

Overall I'm very pleased with the phone and I could safely say it's the best phone I've owned to date (and trust me I've used a shit ton). It may not have the best specs and blahblah in certain areas but I feel like this is the first true full package phone I've had. The device itself is stunningly beautiful and I'm glad I can finally say that about an Android phone. I'll miss the great App Store and certain features like iMessage/Nike+ but I'd say those are sacrifices I can make for this phone. I'd probably give it around 4.8 out of 5 :p

reKon

Banned
actually this phone is similar to the iphone 5 where it actually excels at LTE rather than other phones where LTE hurts the battery.

Anyway the battery is definitely good. But once again it's all BS comparisons because of the tons of different configurations that are possible. I'm talking brightness setting, blinkfeed use, update/push settings, your network connection.

My battery is surprisingly good but I don't use blinkfeed, my network connection is great, and I don't push a ton of shit, only emails. I don't use auto brightness either because it skews a little high for my liking, I just put it at 60-65ish.

Shouldn't this be how it should be for most phones with the S600 then?

Gritesh

So after having this phone for the weekend and getting some actual real life use out of it, I have to say that this is the best phone I have ever had. I am completely in love with this one!

Coming from a iPhone 4s the screen is really something else, and the build quality of the phone and the look of it just completed the whole thing.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Shots of my AT&T One in its case before I switch it out for my unlocked one. In the end I'm glad I went with silver although the black one is awesome too.

Screen- The screen is simply gorgeous. 1080P 4.7" goodness. It's a nice upgrade coming up from my iPhone 5. Definitely a huge difference from the S3 as well. Everything is really crisp and I'm overall very satisfied with it.

Build - Man, I didn't really put this thing on a pedestal till I got it in hand and just realized how nice it looks. Really makes my iPhone look like a toy which I didn't think I'd ever say. I love the two tone front of the silver version, and while I do have some irks about how the back looks, it's still a very beautiful phone. I'd probably say the best at the moment. I always wanted a full unibody aluminum phone when I first saw concepts of the HTC Eden

but I think they have surpassed it handsomely with the One. It feels really sturdy in hand (still petrified at the idea of dropping it) and I am in love with the volume rocker as many have stated :) I just wish the LED was just a tad brighter and had more colors.

Speakers - Speakers are absolutely wonderful! Not as loud as I expected but it blows anything else I've used out of the water. All really clear and pleasing to the ears. I've never took speakers into the consideration of a purchase but from now on I just might have to.

Sense - I am pleasantly surprised at what Sense has accomplished. It doesn't feel like a hindrance like TouchWiz was on my S3. Also nowhere near as hideous. It ALMOST feels like I'm running a more modern Android version. I really love the idea of Blinkfeed and that it is available at a moments notice unlike opening up an RSS reader. The typography choice was pretty good as well. Despite loving much of sense I just couldn't stand the widget system. I also am constantly theming my phones so I need a more versatile launcher. I do wish I had BlinkFeed with other launchers though.

Camera - I am no photography aficionado by any means but I like the shots I've taken on the one. I'd say the iPhone camera is a little clearer in some pictures but I'd say they're about the same. I absolutely love Zoe though. Might be using the camera a whole lot more now :)

Battery - I did the whole draining on your first power on to fully charging thing. I spent the entire day playing with it the next day, installing all my apps, configuring, trying out vids, taking pics, chatting via gtalk, etc. I went about a good 10 hours till i was at about 10%. I must warn you though I do not currently have a phone service installed on it since I'm waiting for my sim to arrive. Still using my iPhone till the end of the week so I have entirely tested this phone on WiFi. The battery has been good to me and pretty much meets todays standards. I'd say it on par or slightly longer than my iPhone, much longer than my old S3, MUCH MUCH MUCH more than my old Galaxy Nexus and I'd say its pretty standard today from what you'd expect.

Overall I'm very pleased with the phone and I could safely say it's the best phone I've owned to date (and trust me I've used a shit ton). It may not have the best specs and blahblah in certain areas but I feel like this is the first true full package phone I've had. The device itself is stunningly beautiful and I'm glad I can finally say that about an Android phone. I'll miss the great App Store and certain features like iMessage/Nike+ but I'd say those are sacrifices I can make for this phone. I'd probably give it around 4.8 out of 5 :p

Thanks for the slightly more in-depth GAF hands on, every little bit helps make the wait til september (when my contract ends) that much more painful.

reKon

Banned

Touchwiz is ugly, but really on the S3 it was mainly the look of the toggles that I found ridiculous. I wish they would change that terrible green color. Other than that though, you do know that the new touchwiz is actually more is a lot closer to the current stock android than Sense 5 is right? With Sense 5 it looks decent, but everything in terms of functionality such as changing the background and other things is unnecessarily more complicated (not hard, but seriously, it could have been as simple as stock/touchwiz) and just plain stupid. Visually, Sense 5 looks better and cleaner, but in terms of functionality and useful features over stock android, Touchwiz destroys Sense 5. I've seen the reviews of Sense 5 and then played with the HTC One over a week ago so I did get to mess around with it. Hopefully, the HTC improves Sense 5 and allow for things such as being able to change the actions of the two capacitive buttons.

Guy at work has one of these. I've an 4S with no intentions of getting a new phone until the contract is up. Initial impressions:

• Phone is big. Really big.
    The screen is gorgeous. I can imagine surfing the net on it is really nice.
    Speakers are fantastically placed
    It feels snappy.

Really nice phone. I hope Apples next phone is comparable as I like my jailbroken 4S a lot. But if it's not. I may make the switch.

Top Bottom