• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

abunai

Cool thanks guys. Yeah I read about needing to change the kernel for the button. Anyone know how to change that god awful Sense status bar? I really love the one in LockerPro that they show on the lockscreen (screenshot below). Also is there a way to theme the notifications pull down menu?

Sense can't be "themed", per se. There is a manual (and highly tedious) way to do it which involves pulling system files from root over ADB on a computer, then modifying each image manually in photoshop, then re-pushing it to the phone. It might even break sense 5 completely, I'm unsure. Last time I did any framework modifications was in Gingerbread so a lot's changed since then.

Custom roms based off Cyanogen can use the Cyanogen theme framework, which allows for easy installation of custom themes. Other than that (and the aforementioned modifying) nothing springs to mind.

Black is sexy, yea :)

VoxPop

Sense can't be "themed", per se. There is a manual (and highly tedious) way to do it which involves pulling system files from root over ADB on a computer, then modifying each image manually in photoshop, then re-pushing it to the phone. It might even break sense 5 completely, I'm unsure. Last time I did any framework modifications was in Gingerbread so a lot's changed since then.

Custom roms based off Cyanogen can use the Cyanogen theme framework, which allows for easy installation of custom themes. Other than that (and the aforementioned modifying) nothing springs to mind.

Black is sexy, yea :)

Sweet, thanks for all the info :)

I've never used CM before. Is it basically just stock Android? Are there any other benefits to it besides that? Don't wanna go through the hassle of changing roms if that's all it does :p

Also that battery news is awesome. Not that I had anything to complain about. I've had power saver ticked with no noticeable slowdown and get GREAT battery.

Sweet, thanks for all the info :)

I've never used CM before. Is it basically just stock Android? Are there any other benefits to it besides that? Don't wanna go through the hassle of changing roms if that's all it does :p

Also that battery news is awesome. Not that I had anything to complain about. I've had power saver ticked with no noticeable slowdown and get GREAT battery.
it's like a much more customizable version of stock android

Sweet. Will I still be able to shoot Zoes and stuff like that though? I also like a few things about Sense. I'm guessing I'll lose those though.

Camera isn't currently working on CM.. neither is bluetooth.

If you need total functionality, you'll be waiting for a bit.

BT should come soon.. camera may be a while and I doubt there will ever be Zoe outside of Sense.

Con_Smith

Banned
Really loving the phone so far. After playing with Sense and it's quirks I'm liking its integration much more than my experience with blur. The TV app works surprisingly well and battery life with this thing is really blowing me away. Spent a full night listening to podcasts and audio books with casual web browsing and tweeting and the One probably hit around 70 percent after 9 hours. My old droid 4.would be usually be around 20 to 10 in comparison.

So far my only negative is how spotty Sprints coverage seems to be as anytime I go below 4g the phone becomes jarring as it's blazingly fast otherwise. Other than that any complaint I have would be silly nitpicking due to this being my first HTC device.

Question for those who have rooted their device, would I be able to unlock and root on a mac? I know some programs can be PC only and would like to know before diving deep into the danger zone.

Saw this today at the biggest mall in the area.

uRDKq6i.jpg

GzsjSBz.jpg

XYbeJPI.jpg

Sense 5 is actually really good.....it looks good as stock android. I'll give cm10.1 a try once a stable built is a vailable..but I don't even mind sense 5...I'm not even botheringto use a 3rd party browser....it's really a huge jump from sense 4.5 and touchwiz

Really loving the phone so far. After playing with Sense and it's quirks I'm liking its integration much more than my experience with blur. The TV app works surprisingly well and battery life with this thing is really blowing me away. Spent a full night listening to podcasts and audio books with casual web browsing and tweeting and the One probably hit around 70 percent after 9 hours. My old droid 4.would be usually be around 20 to 10 in comparison.

So far my only negative is how spotty Sprints coverage seems to be as anytime I go below 4g the phone becomes jarring as it's blazingly fast otherwise. Other than that any complaint I have would be silly nitpicking due to this being my first HTC device.

Question for those who have rooted their device, would I be able to unlock and root on a mac? I know some programs can be PC only and would like to know before diving deep into the danger zone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2245782

For mac

Saw this today at the biggest mall in the area.

uRDKq6i.jpg

GzsjSBz.jpg

XYbeJPI.jpg

Is that valley fair?

Goldrush

Cool thanks guys. Yeah I read about needing to change the kernel for the button. Anyone know how to change that god awful Sense status bar? I really love the one in LockerPro that they show on the lockscreen (screenshot below). Also is there a way to theme the notifications pull down menu?

I love LockerPro, but can't use it because security is pretty much busted.

Didn't know you're from the bay area too..

Before that spot had a Samsung booth and a Nintendo booth....surprise HTC can afford that spot..

Yep, I remember Samsung having a nice big booth there but wasn't Nintendo a bit further down towards Apple/Microsoft store? I don't remember them being in the center. I wonder what the space costs but glad to see HTC putting some effort here. It's a nice looking booth too. Better than the Samsung booth.

Yep, I remember Samsung having a nice big booth there but wasn't Nintendo a bit further down towards Apple/Microsoft store? I don't remember them being in the center. I wonder what the space costs but glad to see HTC putting some effort here. It's a nice looking booth too. Better than the Samsung booth.

Yeah you're about the Nintendo booth.
But yeah valley fair is the premier mall in silicon valley...so rent must be really expensive.

Peterthumpa

Does the US version also has an incoming software update? I'm running the 1.29.1540.3, is this the one with improved camera/battery already?

Pimpwerx

Actually, that's a different case. That's just a bumper, while the case I linked actually has a clear plastic shell covering the back. I did find a video on the case I linked though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIRjJhCk4XE

This is orange though, which looks much worse than the grey in my opinion. I'm still on the fence about the frosted glass though. It helps hide smudges and scratches, which is good. The frosting isn't particularly opaque, so it doesn't really obscure anything, but I worry that the back might look sort of dull when filtered through the mildly foggy glass. It's hard to get a feel for it in a video, especially since there aren't any videos with the black model of the phone that I've seen.

Oh well, at least its not an especially expensive case. If I decide to try it out and I don't like it, at least it won't be a very costly mistake.

That's the case I'm gonna order. I got the Bear Motion to tide me over while Poetic redesigns the case. I heard good things about it, but now that video has made me certain. I think I'd prefer the Double Dip, but the Poetic is a lot cheaper. PEACE.

Deitus

Well I picked one up today, and the new UI is a much bigger adjustment than I was expecting, especially compared to my aging Evo (still on Gingerbread). But I'm slowly getting used to it.

But I still have no idea what to do with Blinkfeed. I can't figure out what to do with it, and at the moment I just want it to go away. Is there a way to disable it?

Also, I was able to transfer all of my music, contacts, etc., but it looks like I'll have to redownload all of my apps. Is there an easy way to transfer apps between phones? This is only my second android so I haven't had to do this before. I wouldn't particularly mind redownloading the apps themselves, but I at least want to be able to recover my save data. I could probably copy the app data to my PC and then to my new phone, but honestly the android file structure is a bit of a maze to me, and I think it would be way too time consuming to do manually.

Madness

I think I'm going to go naked, it's too beautiful to ruin with a case. Might get a screen protector though

Might as well get a full body protector. Around $12 bucks. I used them on my friends One X and my GSIII... Don't like cases myself and while installation is tough, the protection is unbeatable.

You don't want lines, scratches, scrapes etc. Eventually over time, after being in pockets and other areas, some edges might lift, dust might get under. But you'd still have the sleek look and protection.

The only reason they get poor reviews sometimes is because people have no clue how to apply them or be patient. I've been using them since 2008 when I first got one for my blackberry bold and girlfriends iPhone 3g. So it's easy for me. Invisible shield, militaryshield, liQuidskin etc.

changed rom to trickdroid and its awesome!!

htc logo is now the menu button!!

latest camera firmware and improved capacitive buttons....its all good stuff!!!

reKon

Banned
changed rom the trickdroid and its awesome!!

htc logo is now the menu button!!

latest camera firmware and improved capacitive buttons....its all good stuff!!!

Which carrier are you on? Also let us know if there any connection issues with any of these, rims including phone calls

interesting, i have a feeling that theres going to be a future update that can make it accessible without rooting it

Maybe..they did that with the one x..when it didn't have a menu button..it was a multi task button, they had an update that turned the multitask button into a menu button.

Goldrush

Well I picked one up today, and the new UI is a much bigger adjustment than I was expecting, especially compared to my aging Evo (still on Gingerbread). But I'm slowly getting used to it.

But I still have no idea what to do with Blinkfeed. I can't figure out what to do with it, and at the moment I just want it to go away. Is there a way to disable it?

Also, I was able to transfer all of my music, contacts, etc., but it looks like I'll have to redownload all of my apps. Is there an easy way to transfer apps between phones? This is only my second android so I haven't had to do this before. I wouldn't particularly mind redownloading the apps themselves, but I at least want to be able to recover my save data. I could probably copy the app data to my PC and then to my new phone, but honestly the android file structure is a bit of a maze to me, and I think it would be way too time consuming to do manually.

Transferring files was a breeze with helium. Definitely recommend going with the paid version so you can copy it through Dropbox.

Deitus

Crap. Looks like I have a stuck/dead pixel already. As far as I can tell, its only visible against black, but the pixel is stuck on white, so it's really noticeable.

Am I going to have to take the phone back already?

Cipherr

Crap. Looks like I have a stuck/dead pixel already. As far as I can tell, its only visible against black, but the pixel is stuck on white, so it's really noticeable.

Am I going to have to take the phone back already?

Yep, some applications claim to be able to fix that, but a stuck pixel has always been a stuck pixel for me. Nothing ever fixes it. Return it.

Deitus

Transferring files was a breeze with helium. Definitely recommend going with the paid version so you can copy it through Dropbox.

Sadly, my old phone is not compatible with Helium. Every other app I've found that does the same thing requires my phone to be rooted though.

abunai

Really adoring the build quality on this phone. Makes my old nexus 4 feel like a fischer-price toy. Nice to see some AOSP rom betas appearing on XDA, hopefully not too long until some stables are out so I can ditch sense.

dralla

This might be a little off topic, but I'm thinking about getting this phone. I have T-Mobile and I know they changed the way there contracts work recently. So I have their $30/month unlimited text/web plan and I like it and would like to keep it. It's a MTM plan, not a contract. With the way they changed there service plans, can I just keep this MTM plan I have and pick up this phone for the $100 or whatever it is? On the website it says it requires a $20/month payment for 2 years for the $100 price, but my MTM plan is no longer offered, so do I need to get one of their new plans which are minimum $50/month or can I keep mine?

This might be a little off topic, but I'm thinking about getting this phone. I have T-Mobile and I know they changed the way there contracts work recently. So I have their $30/month unlimited text/web plan and I like it and would like to keep it. It's a MTM plan, not a contract. With the way they changed there service plans, can I just keep this MTM plan I have and pick up this phone for the $100 or whatever it is? On the website it says it requires a $20/month payment for 2 years for the $100 price, but my MTM plan is no longer offered, so do I need to get one of their new plans which are minimum $50/month or can I keep mine?
You would have to go to a T-Mobile store and buy one at full price. That or sign up for a new postpaid plan online, pay for the phone in full then cancel.

dralla

You would have to go to a T-Mobile store and buy one at full price. That or sign up for a new postpaid plan online, pay for the phone in full then cancel.

Well that fucking sucks, I like my plan, it's exactly what I need. It looks like I can get an S3 though without changing anything, maybe I'll do that instead, my phone is pretty shit and in desperate need of a better one

Well that fucking sucks, I like my plan, it's exactly what I need. It looks like I can get an S3 though without changing anything, maybe I'll do that instead, my phone is pretty shit and in desperate need of a better one

you wouldn't be changing your plan. currently they don't sell the handset online without a postpaid plan. you would be getting the phone with a postpaid plan and cancelling the postpaid plan shortly thereafter. then you just use your prepaid SIM in the phone.

the phone's full retail price isn't something you can just avoid.

Top Bottom