• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Yes, it is. That whole area down there is touch sensitive.

I tried out the mod and it doesn't work as well as I'd hope. The bottom and middle part of the logo don't seem to be touch sensitive only the very top of it and the touch sensitive area is so close to the bottom of the screen that whenever I tried to use it I ended up tapping the screen half the time to unwanted effect

I tried out the mod and it doesn't work as well as I'd hope. The bottom and middle part of the logo don't seem to be touch sensitive only the very top of it and the touch sensitive area is so close to the bottom of the screen that whenever I tried to use it I ended up tapping the screen half the time to unwanted effect

an HTC rep on the HTC one subreddit
posted a year down pic and the logo isn't touch sensitive. the mood remains a few pixels from the bottom of the screen creating the illusion that it is and that's why it's hard to press from the middle and the bottom

dralla

you wouldn't be changing your plan. currently they don't sell the handset online without a postpaid plan. you would be getting the phone with a postpaid plan and cancelling the postpaid plan shortly thereafter. then you just use your prepaid SIM in the phone.

the phone's full retail price isn't something you can just avoid.

I know, but I plan on keeping my plan which is $30/month, I was hoping I would get the phone for $100 and keep using this plan for the next 24 months. Cause it says you can get the phone for $100 if you pay $20+ a month for 24 months, which I currently do.

I know, but I plan on keeping my plan which is $30/month, I was hoping I would get the phone for $100 and keep using this plan for the next 24 months. Cause it says you can get the phone for $100 if you pay $20+ a month for 24 months, which I currently do.

that's not what it says at all.

it's saying the device costs $580 but you can pay $100 down and then $480 ($20 x 24 months) to get the phone instead of $580 upfront. if you were on a postpaid rate plan, it would add $20 a month to your bill until the balance was paid. the offer isn't extended to prepaid rate plans.

Pimpwerx

Beating my head against the wall for a case. That Poetic case doesn't look too bad, but what about these?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BVWJ99E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C2SXX34/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or any other suggestions would be awesome.

I have the Bear Motion in green. I posted pics a week or so ago. I'd recommend it, but if you use the volume rocker a lot, you might want to avoid it. The rocker is harder to actuate with the Beat Motion case on.

If you get that leather flip case, let us know, and post pics. I'm always interested in what cases people are using, because it's next to impossible to sample all the cases out there. PEACE.

dralla

that's not what it says at all.

it's saying the device costs $580 but you can pay $100 down and then $480 ($20 x 24 months) to get the phone instead of $580 upfront. if you were on a postpaid rate plan, it would add $20 a month to your bill until the balance was paid. the offer isn't extended to prepaid rate plans.

Yea, basically what I wanted to know was could I do this with my prepaid plain, essentially add $20 to my bill and pay the upfront cost of $100 or whatever for the phone, but the answer is no

Husker86

Hmm. I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my battery then. With regular use (same as on iPhone) I'm getting about 24 hours out of it. On my iPhone I could go without charging for about 48.

I have a bunch of power saving measures set too.

I think, and I don't own the One, but from what I can gather from all Android phones, is the standby time is still nowhere on the level of iOS devices. Usage time has caught up, but standby drags it's overall time down.

I think, and I don't own the One, but from what I can gather from all Android phones, is the standby time is still nowhere on the level of iOS devices. Usage time has caught up, but standby drags it's overall time down.

Thanks. Yeah. That really is the issue I'm seeing. I can use the phone for a day without issue so I'm not too concerned. When an emergency crops up it's nice to have those few extra hours though.

Pimpwerx

Hmm. I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my battery then. With regular use (same as on iPhone) I'm getting about 24 hours out of it. On my iPhone I could go without charging for about 48.

I keep Power Saver on, and I'm running Revolution 7.2 (about to install 7.3), which uses the 1.29.401.13 firmware. I went over 7 hours yesterday and only used 25% of the battery. I've gotten 18-20 hours consistently, but I think the latest firmware bumps the battery life up significantly. Maybe root and flash a ROM. PEACE.

I keep Power Saver on, and I'm running Revolution 7.2 (about to install 7.3), which uses the 1.29.401.13 firmware. I went over 7 hours yesterday and only used 25% of the battery. I've gotten 18-20 hours consistently, but I think the latest firmware bumps the battery life up significantly. Maybe root and flash a ROM. PEACE.

Thanks for the tip.

My standby time on this phone is pretty good. But again, I don't use blinkfeed and I have push and background syncing and all that turned off for everything other than gmail.

Goldrush

Anyone Blinkfeed showing hid posts from Facebook? Would seriously lower its usefulness if it shows the posts from some of my more "verbose" friend.

reKon

Banned

Does this rom have the skip track by holding the volume rocker feature?

zewone

Really adoring the build quality on this phone. Makes my old nexus 4 feel like a fischer-price toy. Nice to see some AOSP rom betas appearing on XDA, hopefully not too long until some stables are out so I can ditch sense.
What ROM and widget are you running?

Nameless

LTE, especially a weak LTE signal, devours the battery. If you haven't already, download a task killer or a battery monitoring app like GSam and keep track of any programs you don't use accessing resources or data in the background and disable them. Every little bit helps. And if your'e using Chrome that could be an issue too.

Jedi2016

One of my co-workers is using a ROM (I don't know which one) that strips out a lot of the stuff that sucks up battery life. He's able to get 24 hours of heavy usage.. talking, texting, videos, music, the works. He knows my usage, and he expects me to get around three days on a single charge using that ROM, under my "normal" usage.

That's assuming I can get one... I'm going to stop by the AT&T store next week and see if they can bump up my upgrade eligibility (it's only two months out) so I can pick one up now.

I did go ahead and order a case today. Just a plain black TPU case, like the kind I've been using forever on my iPhone. Don't need anything fancy, although I might pick up a kickstand case later on if I can find a decent, non-bulky one.

Nameless

LTE shouldn't hurt this phone much at all. Spotty coverage is always a killer though.

It's not too bad with a healthy signal but still noticeably more draining than Wi-Fi. I actually wish there was a way I could toggle between 3G at work; it seems preferable to one shaky bar of LTE. :(

It's not too bad with a healthy signal but still noticeably more draining than Wi-Fi. I actually wish there was a way I could toggle between 3G at work; it seems preferable to one shaky bar of LTE. :(

Click on mobile data in the options menu and change network mode to GSM/WCDMA only.

VPhys

Might as well get a full body protector. Around $12 bucks. I used them on my friends One X and my GSIII... Don't like cases myself and while installation is tough, the protection is unbeatable.

You don't want lines, scratches, scrapes etc. Eventually over time, after being in pockets and other areas, some edges might lift, dust might get under. But you'd still have the sleek look and protection.

I don't understand this line of thinking. By default you are covering that sleek look by putting a case the phone.

Nameless

Click on mobile data in the options menu and change network mode to GSM/WCDMA only.

Theres one button to search available networks and another set to 'automatically select preferred network' by default. Both are grayed out and inaccessible. I have the AT&T version and I'm assuming from your handle that you're using the international. I guess AT&T locks you into LTE as long as it's available.

Cyklops

Neo Member
dscn1977couhm.jpg

Really adoring the build quality on this phone. Makes my old nexus 4 feel like a fischer-price toy. Nice to see some AOSP rom betas appearing on XDA, hopefully not too long until some stables are out so I can ditch sense.

Wow! How do you do that with the phone?

abunai

Second this. And now I'm second guessing Silver.
Wow! How do you do that with the phone?

Gonna be a massive jerk and quote myself

The latest trickdroid with Apex launcher + these UCCW widgets. Can't remember where I got them from but they're uploaded for you there. I use a 10x7 portrait grid in Apex.

Rooted and using Trickdroid rom (although, in this screen all that does is put the statusbar clock to the middle). Apex launcher (replaces sense on the homescreen, but not the lockscreen) used here, with a 10x7 portrait grid. The dock is hidden, again in apex launcher. Icon labels hidden, using lajal minimal icons found here. Clock/date is the UCCW skin i posted in the above quote. Wallpaper is some random picture I had on my hdd, can upload if you want but it's not 1080p so I'm trying to find the source/another version in the meantime.

Pimpwerx

The latest trickdroid with Apex launcher + these UCCW widgets. Can't remember where I got them from but they're uploaded for you there. I use a 10x7 portrait grid in Apex.

How stable is Trickdroid? I've been using Revolution mostly because it was one of the most stable ROMs when I rooted. I'm liking what I've seen and heard about Trickdroid though. Also, is it worthwhile going with an AOSP ROM yet? PEACE.

EDIT: Also, does anyone know if Live wallpapers are as big of a battery drain as in the past? I never ran live wallpapers on my Evo, Dinc2 or Hero, but I've left the lava lamp background on my phone thus far. I'm getting good battery life, but if that wallpaper is eating a lot of cycles, then I'll probably go with a static image.

abunai

How stable is Trickdroid? I've been using Revolution mostly because it was one of the most stable ROMs when I rooted. I'm liking what I've seen and heard about Trickdroid though. Also, is it worthwhile going with an AOSP ROM yet? PEACE.

EDIT: Also, does anyone know if Live wallpapers are as big of a battery drain as in the past? I never ran live wallpapers on my Evo, Dinc2 or Hero, but I've left the lava lamp background on my phone thus far. I'm getting good battery life, but if that wallpaper is eating a lot of cycles, then I'll probably go with a static image.

It's pretty much stock rom with a few performance/battery patches and customisation options thrown in, 100% stable. I dunno if it's worth switching from Revolutionary, not a ton of difference between the two.

AOSP roms are in (barely) alpha. Calling, audio, bluetooth etc don't work at all. They are a while away from being stable enough for daily drivers. Whether they get there any time soon depends on the skill the teams have of working through exploits, and how much they are willing to use HTC's libraries or AOSP libraries. It'll affect kernel compatibility (atm all custom kernels are based on HTC's libraries so require a sense ROM to work). It'll be easier to build a rom from AOSP (as it's open source) than through reverse engineering HTC's stuff, so the AOSP roms will come, but kernel compatibility may be a headache for the HTC one.

Live wallpapers will much a bit of battery for sure, maybe an additional 5-10% over a day. In my experience anyway, not used one on the HTC one yet.

Rooted and using Trickdroid rom (although, in this screen all that does is put the statusbar clock to the middle). Apex launcher (replaces sense on the homescreen, but not the lockscreen) used here, with a 10x7 portrait grid. The dock is hidden, again in apex launcher. Icon labels hidden, using lajal minimal icons found here. Clock/date is the UCCW skin i posted in the above quote. Wallpaper is some random picture I had on my hdd, can upload if you want but it's not 1080p so I'm trying to find the source/another version in the meantime.
Those UCCW widgets come up as white squares for me. Care to reup?

Edit: never mind it works upon reestablishing the widget.

I haven't tried ARHD on the One yet but I tried it on other devices, it's a lil too stock for me. Trickdroid been solid so far and battery life seem a lil better.

And regarding live wallpapers....I read somewhere that it's a myth that it will drain your battery a lot..

Edit: here's a link

http://www.phonearena.com/news/5-myths-about-improving-your-smartphone-battery-life_id33618

Well, I've had my iPhone 4 unhooked for the exact same amount after a night of charging since 8:30 am EST.

iPhone 4 = 83%
HTC One = 78%

Not bad but I'm going to see what more I can do.

There is so much I need to learn about this phone.

Yeah, I wish that black was available in Canada.

abunai

Well, I've had my iPhone 4 unhooked for the exact same amount after a night of charging since 8:30 am EST.

iPhone 4 = 83%
HTC One = 78%

Not bad but I'm going to see what more I can do.

You could try installing WakeLockDetector (free) or BetterBatteryStats (like 2$ and gives more detailed info) to see if you have any wakelocks keeping your phone from entering deep sleep. I've only had my phone a day but I only lost 1% overnight (11pm-9am) with power saver on; although I do have a custom rom+kernel+undervolting on my device.

You could try installing WakeLockDetector (free) or BetterBatteryStats (like 2$ and gives more detailed info) to see if you have any wakelocks keeping your phone from entering deep sleep. I've only had my phone a day but I only lost 1% overnight (11pm-9am) with power saver on; although I do have a custom rom+kernel+undervolting on my device.

I will check both of those out.

Spoke too soon about international Rom not afftecting Att reception. Dev edition and international Rom has slower LTE than Att base Rom.

I was getting around 20mb with dev edition

With Att I was getting 50mb.

People with dev version might want to flash a an Att base Rom to take advantage of the faster LTE speed.

Theres one button to search available networks and another set to 'automatically select preferred network' by default. Both are grayed out and inaccessible. I have the AT&T version and I'm assuming from your handle that you're using the international. I guess AT&T locks you into LTE as long as it's available.

I'm English but I live in Canada. So I have a north American version but yours may be restricted due to being AT&T.

reKon

Banned
Got my One! God I didn't realize how much I missed Android (Windows Phone user with a short Nexus S period.) Customizing is so addicting:

Wanted to make it look like a style I saw posted on Androidbeautiful. Love that blog.

damn I want mine to look like this

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Flash the dev edition ROM. Fixes that up nicely.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Friend got this this week, haven't had much time to check it out, but absolutely loved the design and weight (tho still felt fragile enough to want to put a case over it), and the sound is great and loud as well when hooking up earplugs (see this lacking in too many phones usually)

Kibbles

Is HTC good and keeping up with new Android OS versions? Im going to miss that switching over from the Nexus 4 if I do.

Top Bottom