• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Pimpwerx

Ever since I got the gnex..I kinda thought stock android was a bit over rated...especially when the hardware it comes with is mediocre...

The gift and curse of the Nexus. It gets updates first, but it's also baseline hardware. So you're getting the latest and greatest in software, but running on the most dated hardware it's made for. I find that the xda guys generally get the latest firmware ported fairly quickly. Chock full of glitches at first, but still enough to get a feel for the improvements. I just don't like the lack of stability anymore, so my top priority when choosing ROMs is stability/compatibility. It also helps that I like Sense5 better than any previous version. So I might be cool with rocking it and Blinkfeed for the life of this phone, unlike my other HTC phones. PEACE.

Husker86

The gift and curse of the Nexus. It gets updates first, but it's also baseline hardware. So you're getting the latest and greatest in software, but running on the most dated hardware it's made for.

I didn't find that to be the case with the Nexus 4. It had the best processor available when it came out...and wasn't it only just now topped by the One and S4?

Jedi2016

Just realized I can't upgrade until mid July. Damnittttt. :(
Neither can I, but they will make exceptions if they feel inclined to do so. I'm going in this week sometime to try to see if I can get them to bump it up. It's at the discretion of the store manager, I believe.

That's one thing I don't like about the way they handle their contracts and discounts. They'll advertise the ever-loving fuck out of a new phone, but then prevent you from buying it because reasons. With the launch of this and the S4 so close together, it's amazing that they would even consider turning away a customer that's willing to buy one.

Pimpwerx

I didn't find that to be the case with the Nexus 4. It had the best processor available when it came out...and wasn't it only just now topped by the One and S4?

My bad. I stopped following phones when I got my Evo a few years back. My understanding of the industry is dated. I got my Dinc2 from my ex, so didn't even research that one. This is my first phone back, so I assumed the situation with the Nexus was the same as a couple years ago. I remember they were baseline phones. PEACE.

Didn't the nexus 4 was plague with battery issues? Limited to 16gig storage and no LTE....only thing going for it was the processor ...

Definitely appreciating Zoe after this shot...

60acZ5J.jpg

LordAlu

So I've just gotten my HTC One to replace my SII and it is fantastic. Should I root it? Any custom ROM's out there that are any good - I've heard of TrickDroid and Revolution, what are these like?

So I've just gotten my HTC One to replace my SII and it is fantastic. Should I root it? Any custom ROM's out there that are any good - I've heard of TrickDroid and Revolution, what are these like?

i'm on TrickDroid...stable so far with lots of options, plus battery life is great.

its has a very stock feeling and look.

VoxPop

So I'm thinking about rooting my phone just so I can change the system font and hopefully find something like Activator for iOS. It's completely different from unlocking the bootloader, right? I don't wanna do that yet cause of the warranty situation..

abunai

So I'm thinking about rooting my phone just so I can change the system font and hopefully find something like Activator for iOS. It's completely different from unlocking the bootloader, right? I don't wanna do that yet cause of the warranty situation..

Rooting is an independent process to unlocking the bootloader, technically. But in order to flash the root files, you must have an unlocked bootloader :(

KlotePino

I'm so fucking pissy right now. They keep pushing back the date here, will be the beginning of next week now hopefully but my new contract started 2 weeks ago and my iphone 4 is falling apart. Just give me my damn phone.

Futureman

anyone coming from an iPhone that never used Android?

My buddy is done with this iPhone 4 and decided on the HTC One. I told him great choice my friend!

but I would be interested in hearing people's experiences.

VoxPop

My buddy is done with this iPhone 4 and decided on the HTC One. I told him great choice my friend!

It's not that huge of a leap as people make it seem. Should be a rather easy transition. I've been switching around back and forth since the first iPhone and Motorola Droid so take it for what it's worth.

Yep, I'm doing that right now, but I'm not in a contract so I can easily switch back. I'm trying the experiment and taking notes. There are definitely certain quirks and polished things that is jarring going from iOS to Android, but there's nothing glaring or a deal breaker yet.

VoxPop

My contract re-ups on Wednesday, do you guys think if I went to the AT&T store today they'd let me upgrade?

My friend's upgrade was due sometime near the end of May but the lady at AT&T told him he could come as soon as May 1st. Something about it being in the same month. Should call your local store and make sure first though.

My contract re-ups on Wednesday, do you guys think if I went to the AT&T store today they'd let me upgrade?

Does your 2 year contract end on Wednesday or is your period of eligibility open up on Wednesday? If your 2 year contract is over on Wednesday then you're already eligible.

NYCrooner

This is the first Android that has made me consider the switch. It's the best phone on the market for sure. I just have so much money invest in my iPhone between apps, accessories and, well, stock. lol.

off topic ...Marty Chinn, hows your LTE signal with your Dev edition phone?

I actually haven't taken the time to talk to AT&T to enable LTE. I'm getting about 10gb down from HSPA+ though which I'm fine with at the moment. I'll upgrade to LTE once I figure out if I plan to keep the phone and figure out what my wife is going to do for her phone upgrade so that we can just get it all sorted out at the same time.

On a different note, Dropbox just blew me off and said the 25gb promotion doesn't apply to phones with Sense 5 and that my phone isn't eligible all the while posting me a link which says Sense 5 is eligible.

I actually haven't taken the time to talk to AT&T to enable LTE. I'm getting about 10gb down from HSPA+ though which I'm fine with at the moment. I'll upgrade to LTE once I figure out if I plan to keep the phone and figure out what my wife is going to do for her phone upgrade so that we can just get it all sorted out at the same time.

On a different note, Dropbox just blew me off and said the 25gb promotion doesn't apply to phones with Sense 5 and that my phone isn't eligible all the while posting me a link which says Sense 5 is eligible.

maybe they check what network the phone is running on? iirc with the Samsung phones, you don't get the 50GB of Dropbox with Verizon or AT&T.

maybe they check what network the phone is running on? iirc with the Samsung phones, you don't get the 50GB of Dropbox with Verizon or AT&T.

If I tried it when it wasn't hooked to a network, shouldn't it have worked? I figure the Developer Edition didn't have an AT&T signature anyway since it was a different ROM.

If I tried it when it wasn't hooked to a network, shouldn't it have worked? I figure the Developer Edition didn't have an AT&T signature anyway since it was a different ROM.

what ive been reading is that if you sign in with a Sense device before within 2 years it wouldn't work.

Cuz I tried to get free space to when I flashed an international Rom on my unit and i didn't get any too....While others did.....

what ive been reading is that if you sign in with a Sense device before within 2 years it wouldn't work.

Cuz I tried to get free space to when I flashed an international Rom on my unit and i didn't get any too....While others did.....

I've never had an HTC phone before. I've been an iPhone user for the last 5 years and had a non-smart phone before that. There's just no way I could have signed in before. I just wish they could tell me what happened. I do appreciate people here trying to suggest reasons why though.

I've never had an HTC phone before. I've been an iPhone user for the last 5 years and had a non-smart phone before that. There's just no way I could have signed in before. I just wish they could tell me what happened. I do appreciate people here trying to suggest reasons why though.

Hmm maybe the dev version doesn't get the free space...only the international version.

HTC probably thought that most Dev edition user will be using it for ATT anyways..

Hmm maybe the dev version doesn't get the free space...only the international version.

Some people on XDA with the Dev Edition got the space, but the thing is they didn't list any other details other than they had a Dev Edition so it's hard to figure out if there are other factors involved. I wonder why they have to be so anal about this. The hassle makes me not to want to bother using Dropbox at all rather than trying to get me to like it.

Some people on XDA with the Dev Edition got the space, but the thing is they didn't list any other details other than they had a Dev Edition so it's hard to figure out if there are other factors involved. I wonder why they have to be so anal about this. The hassle makes me not to want to bother using Dropbox at all rather than trying to get me to like it.

hmm....maybe they mistaken unlock international version vs the dev version.

most people on XDA have the International version. They all the same hardware...so its confusing...

zewone

eWszG1c.png

This took way longer than I wanted, but I finished.

New home screen.

Now that I have, I feel like changing it again. lol.

Dead

well not really...yet
Caved

Good god, I didn't realise how shit touchwiz was until I spent time with the One. Settled on getting it today and I love it.

This is everything that Touchwiz isn't. It's sharp, sleek, modern looking, not as bloated full of pointless additions that no one really gives a shit about. It's light, yet hefty enough to feel like a premium product and the build quality is beautiful. And the design philosophy feels uniform, everything in a Galaxy feels haphazardly thrown together...

HTC did an amazing job updating sense. I used to have a sensation and wasn't the biggest fan then, but they really improved the shit out of it.

Caved

Good god, I didn't realise how shit touchwiz was until I spent time with the One. Settled on getting it today and I love it.

This is everything that Touchwiz isn't. It's sharp, sleek, modern looking, not as bloated full of pointless additions that no one really gives a shit about. It's light, yet hefty enough to feel like a premium product and the build quality is beautiful. And the design philosophy feels uniform, everything in a Galaxy feels haphazardly thrown together...

HTC did an amazing job updating sense. I used to have a sensation and wasn't the biggest fan then, but they really improved the shit out of it.

yeah Sense 5 is a big departure from Sense 4 & 4.5.....its so flat, smooth and minimal that you don't even need a 3rd party launcher.

too bad Touchwiz didn't improve from S3 to the S4...it actually looks worst cause the S4 screen is amazing and prominent how ugly touchwiz is.... the neon green everywhere ruined it.

Top Bottom