• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Gila

Man I really really wish they can input something that allows to get the top of the page easily. I don't want to switch to dolphin browser when chrome is great. But this is my biggest annoyance, especially coming from iOS...to get to the top of the page in any app and not just a browser. Other than that this phone is ace.

Man I really really wish they can input something that allows to get the top of the page easily. I don't want to switch to dolphin browser when chrome is great. But this is my biggest annoyance, especially coming from iOS...to get to the top of the page in any app and not just a browser. Other than that this phone is ace.

The one slight perk is, it's way way faster to scroll to the top or bottom than it is in iOS so it's not nearly as bad. I still would like it, but the speed of the scrolling helps dealing with it a lot.

Edit: wow, now that i'm back on my iPhone 4, the scrolling feels super slow now.

RoKKeR

Went into the ATT store today, picking it up tomorrow. Held it for the first time...even with all of the store shit they throw on it, the phone is absolutely beautiful. Fast, looks great, damn, I'm excited. And the speakers are just incredible.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I never bothered to try the stock music app, because of how shitty it was in the old HTC phones, until you guys mentioned it. But wow, I love the visualizer and lyrics functionality. Definitely gonna use this over Google Music.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
I want to keep it naked so bad but I just ordered 4 cases from Amazon for under $30. I'll check them out and see if any are usable.

i always go naked with my phones and it's pretty common that i eventually destroy them. Two months ago running for the muni my S3 flew out of my pocket and slid about 50 feet across the street. It was fucked. Also had to replace my S2 and Evo 4G before that because I'm awesome. I've been told a lot that I should buy cases for my phones... shrug

Nameless

Naked is best. But I caved and bought a case because the back of all my phones end up looking mauled eventually. For the past two weeks there's been a towel or stack of papers or paper towel between my One and every hard service it's encountered. That's no way to live.

Ordered the i-Blason Gileno Matte Series case(black) per the recommendation of a poster in this thread and I'm happy with it. Easy on/off, solid protection, feels good, slim, and doesn't detract too much from the phone's sexiness. Unbeatable for $7 and will hold me over until the redesigned Poetic Atmosphere case releases.

GSG Flash

The way I see it, by the time the naked phone is in such a state that it looks shitty from the outside, it's probably old enough to not be anything special anymore and how it looks doesn't really matter anymore, therefore I would rather enjoy my phone rather than pamper it.

That said, if you drop your phone a lot you should probably get a case(especially since the One is supposed to be hard to repair).

Everdred

I never bothered to try the stock music app, because of how shitty it was in the old HTC phones, until you guys mentioned it. But wow, I love the visualizer and lyrics functionality. Definitely gonna use this over Google Music.
I really like it, plus updating album art isn't a pain in the ass.

GSG Flash

I'm disappointed that it doesn't sync with Google Music. That's a big issue for me. Am I missing something there? PEACE.

I'm not sure if it does or not. Google doesn't give us filthy Canadians the privilege of syncing our music :(

google music app is awful

Now imagine how bad the old HTC music app was if Google Music was 10 times better than it :/

Pimpwerx

google music app is awful

All my music is on their cloud servers. If there was a way to sync the Sense music app with that, I would do it. However, that doesn't seem to be the case, and I don't think the music app even find the music the Google app stores locally either. So I'm kinda stuck. PEACE.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So I held this phone today for the first time. Gorgeous, but I have to say that it didn't look as good as on the internet pics, lol. Also, the screen on the GS4 demo unit looked better to me. Maybe it was the brightness settings.

I'll go back and mess with the camera and the software later this week, the store was closing.

The way I see it, by the time the naked phone is in such a state that it looks shitty from the outside, it's probably old enough to not be anything special anymore and how it looks doesn't really matter anymore, therefore I would rather enjoy my phone rather than pamper it.

That said, if you drop your phone a lot you should probably get a case(especially since the One is supposed to be hard to repair).

What if you never drop stuff but happen to drop your phone face down? Good luck replacing that screen yourself.

RoKKeR

So, what's the deal with the Poetic Atmosphere case again? Looks great but not shipping until the 17th, can somebody explain the whole 'redesign' thing?

Also, I feel like I'm going to regret not waiting for Black. I wish we had a solid release date for carriers. Silver looks great but Black looks killer.

So I held this phone today for the first time. Gorgeous, but I have to say that it didn't look as good as on the internet pics, lol. Also, the screen on the GS4 demo unit looked better to me. Maybe it was the brightness settings.

I'll go back and mess with the camera and the software later this week, the store was closing.

The gs4 has an excellent screen.
But is not as bright or white as white.

I tried all the screen setting but I couldn't get the screen as white.

The thing that always concern me about amoled is the burn-in(or reverse burn-in)....the s3 had burn-in issues.

So, what's the deal with the Poetic Atmosphere case again? Looks great but not shipping until the 17th, can somebody explain the whole 'redesign' thing?

Also, I feel like I'm going to regret not waiting for Black. I wish we had a solid release date for carriers. Silver looks great but Black looks killer.

I have the Atmosphere. It's a great case. The redesign is to remove the top button cover on the case that blocks the IR Blaster. I don't use the IR so I didn't care. I can always cut it off if I need to.

JaseMath

I have the Atmosphere. It's a great case. The redesign is to remove the top button cover on the case that blocks the IR Blaster. I don't use the IR so I didn't care. I can always cut it off if I need to.
Two questions since you own the case... Does it add a lot of bulk to the phone? How is the grip on the case?

RoKKeR

Alright, thanks. What color is the case, and what color is the phone? I think the white outlining looks the best, but I'm wondering if it looks weird against the silver.

Pimpwerx

Alright, thanks. What color is the case, and what color is the phone? I think the white outlining looks the best, but I'm wondering if it looks weird against the silver.

I'm waiting for that case too, and I heard the white is a no-no because it will fade and yellow over time. I think I'm gonna go with the black trim instead. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

Reviews on Amazon say the IR blaster works even with the case on. So I guess the casing is translucent enough to transmit the signal. I can't confirm that though. PEACE.

reKon

Banned
I can't get the all in one toolkit for t mobile because XDA has been fucking down all day. I come home after a long day of work to still find it down!

Don't settle if you're going to use the video camera capabilities.

Edit: For the record, it's something like 1.5 GB for 10 minutes of video. Video takes up a shit ton of space.
Maybe you're right but 32GB is double the space of the 16GB I currently have and anything is better than that so I'm already ahead there.
^^^ this

order it online.

reload the tracking number every hour. you'll be happier in the end when you have more space than you need instead of needing more than you have.
The thing is if I order it online my card is going to be charged immediately while I'm gonna have to wait for it to be shipped/get back in stock and also pick it up from a FedEx/UPS location since I'm not home at the times they deliver.

I don't know how long all of that is going to take and I need to sell my iPhone in order to cover the cost of this phone within a month. The thing is, I can't sell it until I get the new phone which leaves a lot less time for me to get the money before the month is up. Then there's also the fact that I might sell the phone for less than I would want to since I'd be desperate to sell it quick which means less money for me.

If I order it from the guy he'll bring it to my job that same day and I can post my iPhone up for sale asap. If I get the 32GB I could also save $100.

Decisions, decisions...

Jedi2016

I can't get the all in one toolkit for t mobile because XDA has been fucking down all day. I come home after a long day of work to still find it down!
Okay, not just me, then.. today was the day I finally sat down to root/rom my tablet, and fucking XDA is down.

Pimpwerx

For anyone that wants it, I uploaded the all-in-one kit, since XDA is down.

http://www.mediafire.com/?h4bgxwww4ltq2c6

I got this version on 4/26. I don't think anything new has been added since then, and it doesn't matter anyway since it does the job of rooting the phone in the current shape.

You basically go through the five items on the left, in order. Then choose one of the options on the right. The bottom options aren't necessary, unless you want to do some other stuff to your phone and don't feel like downloading the SDK.

Virus scan if you're paranoid, or just if you're smart. It's legit. Let me know if anything is wrong with it. PEACE.

EDIT: If this is against ToS, please don't ban me. I don't see anything in there about sharing open source software.

markot

Banned
For anyone that wants it, I uploaded the all-in-one kit, since XDA is down.

http://www.mediafire.com/?h4bgxwww4ltq2c6

I got this version on 4/26. I don't think anything new has been added since then, and it doesn't matter anyway since it does the job of rooting the phone in the current shape.

You basically go through the five items on the left, in order. Then choose one of the options on the right. The bottom options aren't necessary, unless you want to do some other stuff to your phone and don't feel like downloading the SDK.

Virus scan if you're paranoid, or just if you're smart. It's legit. Let me know if anything is wrong with it. PEACE.

EDIT: If this is against ToS, please don't ban me. I don't see anything in there about sharing open source software.

Its not against tos to root.

Saying Peace however...

I think the step is pretty easy even with out using the tool kit.

The tool kit doesnt make unlocking the bootloader any easier...

Purexed

Banned
Fellow One owners, are streaming videos looking somewhat low resolution for you as well? I'm talking about HBO Go and Netflix in particular. Doesn't seem as sharp as HD video on YouTube. Is it because of the 1080p native resolution of the phone?

Fellow One owners, are streaming videos looking somewhat low resolution for you as well? I'm talking about HBO Go and Netflix in particular. Doesn't seem as sharp as HD video on YouTube. Is it because of the 1080p native resolution of the phone?

YouTube = up to 1080p
Netflix, HBO Go = 720p

Purexed

Banned
I guess the resolution differences are much more magnified on mobile vs television. 720p is still pretty sharp on my TV

I have my phone set to automatically connect to the internet via wifi when available instead of the network, yet the on the top it still shows that it's connected to the network as well as wifi at the same time when I'm at home. Any idea why?

Deitus

I have my phone set to automatically connect to the internet via wifi when available instead of the network, yet the on the top it still shows that it's connected to the network as well as wifi at the same time when I'm at home. Any idea why?

Weird, mine only shows the Wifi symbol when on Wifi. Which network is it showing, 3G or 4G?

excuse my ignorance, but what is ZOE anyhow? I haven't played around with the camera much on my phone

Zoe grabs 3 seconds of video for each shot and then you can scrub through it to get the best picture(s). It's pretty great. Don't know why it wasn't done sooner for phones.

excuse my ignorance, but what is ZOE anyhow? I haven't played around with the camera much on my phone

It's a 3 second video clip that also captures 20 4 megapixel images including a few frames before you actually hit the button so you have shots before and after and you can select the best pic.

Hmph...just got the phone about 6 hours ago, charged it to 100% and have been playing with it(downloading apps, messing with settings) for less than 2 hours and it's already at 89%...damn.

Hmph...just got the phone about 6 hours ago, charged it to 100% and have been playing with it(downloading apps, messing with settings) for less than 2 hours and it's already at 89%...damn.

no worries...the battery seem to get better.....I been getting continuous 19~20hour with 5+ screen time....mostly web browsing and playing videos thru wifi and LTE...

Pimpwerx

shinobi602: Did you root your phone yet? It shouldn't be doing that with the wifi. Power cycle (shutdown and turn back on) the phone to see if that helps. Then maybe check to see if it continues to do that dual connection if you connect to another router. Your phone should only be using one data connection at a time. The only time both radios are turned on is when its transitioning from wifi to 4G or vice-versa.

It's a 3 second video clip that also captures 20 4 megapixel images including a few frames before you actually hit the button so you have shots before and after and you can select the best pic.

Xperias used to have 3 shot burst on their phones, and that was a very cool feature. You'd be able to pick the best one that way. I haven't tinkered with the Zoe features yet. I took one as a test, and that's it. I probably should look at it more. People here seem enamored with it.

#TeamNaked

I used to be among your ranks. However, I have a Dinc2 and Hero with shattered screens, and an Evo with a scratched back thanks to my clumsiness. I don't do phone insurance either, so a case is my insurance for this phone. That screen is just too damn big for me to risk. I do love holding the naked phone when on my sofa, surrounded by my rug. The phone definitely feels nice in the hands. All the large 4.5+ inch phones do. I have no idea how that Yahoo reviewer found issue with it. PEACE.

abunai

All my music is on their cloud servers. If there was a way to sync the Sense music app with that, I would do it. However, that doesn't seem to be the case, and I don't think the music app even find the music the Google app stores locally either. So I'm kinda stuck. PEACE.

link

Check the above link for a beta of an app which will sync Google music libraries to other third party applications. Dunno if itll work with Sense, but it's worth a shot. Works well with poweramp at least.

Nameless

An 11% drop after nearly 2 hours of constant use doesn't sound bad at all, especially out of the box.

My 4G signal icon never leaves either. Do you have AT&T?

Top Bottom