• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tain

VR web talk. After trying that goober browser from the DK2 days, this is pretty legitimately interesting.

edit: lol ReactVR

Tain

Did they go into detail on it? Like shit man a wireless headset for PC is fucking crazy this fast

It's standalone. Something like GearVR but with more focused hardware and inside-out tracking. Not as exciting as a wireless PC headset to me, but it's still pretty awesome.

Zalusithix

Yeah this is incredibly promising

I thought the same about VRML when I was a kid. I'm a bit gunshy on the virtual 3D web as a whole. I see applications, but limited in scope, and many of those requiring much higher headset fidelity to be really useful.

Tain

ohhh ok, so akin to phone VR but with positional tracking?

Yup, that's about all they showed: someone wearing a development prototype (it looked like the CV1 with something attached to the back) and briefly walking around the papercraft city from the Dreamdeck demo.

I feel like avatars is something you release as a small press release and not as a main stage thing. I mean it's cool, but everyone knows what an avatar is.

I thought the same about VRML when I was a kid. I'm a bit gunshy on the virtual 3D web as a whole. I see applications, but limited in scope, and many of those requiring much higher headset fidelity to be really useful.

Oh god, VRML, don't remind me. I was doing some stuff at the NCSA at the time, and there was this core group of ACM SigVR-heads there who were swearing up and down that VRML was the future of the web. Same sort of people who were saying in 10 years every home would have a CAVE, etc. Yeesh.

VRML was such a nightmare.

I feel like they should have unified the social app avatars and the other version. The official avatars are kind of underwhelming after the social demo. Maybe it's a performance thing though.

Psykoboy2

I really feel for this woman on stage right now. She's fighting back some horrible allergies or a cold or something. Good work on her.

Soo, does the game have to run at native 45 to utilize Spacewarp? Does a game fall back to it if it drops from 90?

We'll see, but I sincerely doubt it. It would defeat the point. Vive's method is that it runs at native 90, but if you start dropping a certain amount of frames, then it forces the game to run at 45 until it can sense that you are back up to 90. Granted, Vive's method doesn't do the positional warping like this new technique does, so there may be some differences in how this handles. However, it really would defeat the point if it made your game run at 45 all the time. As he emphasized, there is no substitute for 90fps native.

Fret

Even though I don't like oculus as a company, this is very heavy competition for Valve. Good times incoming for PC VR

DieH@rd

Banned
So they are emulating PSVR, but since they dont have screen that is capable of 120hz refresh, they are going with the 45>90fps upscale. The effect of ghosting for nearby objects will be stronger, but I guess, better this than nothing.

Any chances of a Rift 2 (or rather, new iteration of it for PC) being announced here?

I'd say that may not even happen for a couple years. They put a lot of effort into the CV1 and they probably want it to gain way more momentum before they drop seconds on our plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom