• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Xbox 360 Online Franchise: A World Without Favre

Birdman02

Mrbob said:
Wait....I just found this online:

I just learned that the tie breaker for online franchise is alphabetical order by team name (mascot not city), not the actual NFL tie breakers. So if the Bears and the Packers finish with the same record the Bears win the division. This is a fatal flaw in my opinion. I don't understand how you could have overlooked this detail. This should be something that you can easily update to the servers. Please do so ASAP.

The plot THICKENS.

It is tough to say....last year:

AstroLad > FrenchmovieTheme
Cardinals > Fortywhiners

BigAT> DarkOberto
Packers > Vikings

Both cases alphabetical order comes first in gamertag and team name.

I know it wasn't for a playoff spot, but AirBrian and I tied last season. I had the lower draft pick (meaning I got the better division ranking) even though he beat me twice.

Jags>Titans
but
AirBrian>Birdman

Pretty sure it's alphabetical by team name.

Fifty said:
He's caught up in the festive spirit. Please forgive poor peterboi

wtf is this??

EDIT: arent't the 49ers listed as forty-niners in the team select screen??

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Mrbob said:
Wait....I just found this online:

I just learned that the tie breaker for online franchise is alphabetical order by team name (mascot not city), not the actual NFL tie breakers. So if the Bears and the Packers finish with the same record the Bears win the division. This is a fatal flaw in my opinion. I don't understand how you could have overlooked this detail. This should be something that you can easily update to the servers. Please do so ASAP.

The plot THICKENS.

It is tough to say....last year:

AstroLad > FrenchmovieTheme
Cardinals > Fortywhiners

BigAT> DarkOberto
Packers > Vikings

Both cases alphabetical order comes first in gamertag and team name.

wtf-boom.jpg

So it's possible that whoever loses, Patriots or Raiders, is effectively screwed. What happens if a Tie game happens? Patriots/Raiders Conference Record > Chargers, C > P, R.

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i'm just trying to fool myself into believing i have a shot at the playoffs :(

although i dont deserve it after how badly i blew the division lead.
You should give me back that win over you. :(

BigAT

FrenchMovieTheme said:
but its not "forty niners" it's "49ers". so you would think numbers come before letters!

When you scroll through the player management screen, it treats San Francisco as the "Forty Niners", not the numerical equivalent, as far as alphabetical order is concerned.

I had the tie breakers over Daw last year (the real NFL ones) to win the division, so that might necessarily be because Packers > Vikings.

Rorschach

Smokey said:
what?

i'm confused by the context of this post.
In my dummy league. Like I said last night, I think it's HTML color code order based on team colors.

Raiders = 000000

That's why each team has a colored background behind the name.

BigAT

Not that I would expect a definitive answer or anything, but has anyone tried Twittering Ian or some other EA staff member to try to find out how tiebreakers actually work?

Rorschach

BigAT said:
Not that I would expect a definitive answer or anything, but has anyone tried Twittering Ian or some other EA staff member to try to find out how tiebreakers actually work?
Yes. Ryan and Ian. Ian said go ask Ryan. Ryan said "go fuck yourself, douche."

Lonestar said:
How close to the current dilema did you get? Possible 11-5 records, me with 4 conference losses and him with 5?
Both were 9-7, but there were also 3 other teams.

Lonestar

Since I wasn't sure about the NFL's tiebreaker rule anyway, for wildcards of teams not in the same division, is it this:

Two Teams
1. Head-to-Head (didn't play)
2. Conference Record (I'd finish 1 game ahead)
3. Common Games (minimum of four) (Not sure on this, but they appear to be Bills, Steelers, Titans, Raiders. I theoretically went 1-4 versus those and he went 3-2)
4. Strength of Victory :lol
5. Strength of Schedule :lol
6. Combined Ranking Among Conference Teams (points scored and points allowed) (take too long, but since he ran up the score on people and I didn't... :D )
7. Combined Ranking Among All Teams (points scored and points allowed) Same
8. Net Points (conference games) Same
9. Net Points (all games) Same
10. Net Touchdowns (all games) Same
11. Coin Toss LETS DO THIS ONE!

Then you have the 3 or more breaker

Which I'm trying to think. out. Depends on who wins the North...

Three or More Teams
*If two clubs remain tied after a third is eliminated during any step, the tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-team format.

Start by eliminating all but the highest ranked club in each division by using the divisional tiebreaker above. After the field has been narrowed to no more than one team from each division, the following tiebreakers are used:
1. Head-to-Head (if Fifty doesn't win the division, but wins and I think me, him, and Smokey would tie. I beat Fifty, and Fifty and Smokey didn't play. So that would drop Fifty?)
2. Conference Record (same as above)
3. Common Games (minimum of four)
4. Strength of Victory
5. Strength of Schedule
6. Combined Ranking Among Conference Teams (points scored and points allowed)
7. Combined Ranking Among All Teams (points scored and points allowed)
8. Net Points (conference games)
9. Net Points (all games)
10. Net Touchdowns (all games)
11. Coin toss

But I guess if Fifty wins the division, and Ram falls to the same 10-5 record...well, he'd have the same record as Fifty, who wins that? If somehow Fifty got the division, I guess I would get the cut, as Smokey beat Ram, and I didn't.

Alphabetical makes more sense.

Smokey

All I can do is win my last game against the Chiefs.

The Madden gods will take care of the rest.

All these hypothetical solutions...Lonestar...if you win you're in. Pretty simple...

You should be trying to figure out how to beat Rors instead of worrying about me and what we do over here...

Lonestar

Smokey said:
All I can do is win my last game against the Chiefs.

The Madden gods will take care of the rest.

All these hypothetical solutions...Lonestar...if you win you're in. Pretty simple...

You should be trying to figure out how to beat Rors instead of worrying about me and what we do over here...

I know how to beat him.

Cut off his internet and play the CPU!

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
FrenchMovieTheme said:
btw CB we are facing off in the gaf fantasy football championship this week. i'm going to crush you.... and you know that!

I saw. Avatar bet part 2?

DCX

DCX
I'm pretty much out of the playoff race so i'm going to try to get Roddy his 100 catches for the season and sub in my young talent and have them progress. I tried using my 97 speed back Sanders against Ram hoping his speed would make a difference and he did no better or worse than LT :p

DCX

bluemax

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
only 5 games left! great work this week fellas. lets get them done so we can move onto the final week of the season and then the playoffs (thought i wont be participating..... unless my buddy bluemax can do what he does)

Lose on the final drive of the game? I can probably manage that!

DCX

DCX
If it advances tomorrow, DM i can't play i'm going to the movies to watch Avatar and may be back late, i'll AIM you if i can play.

DCX

Fifty

I'm glad that we have to wait till the last day because of Peterboy. We've all heard about how hectic these holidays are for him (he's so busy that he can't post in the thread!!). It's satisfying to know that he's going to get his game played. I hope that one day I get to face him, so that I can go through the enviable task of PMing him and hoping for a response!

Smokey

Fifty said:
I'm glad that we have to wait till the last day because of Peterboy. We've all heard about how hectic these holidays are for him (he's so busy that he can't post in the thread!!). It's satisfying to know that he's going to get his game played. I hope that one day I get to face him, so that I can go through the enviable task of PMing him and hoping for a response!

I get to experience this next :(.

Then again, ain't much I can do if I don't have a box to play on...

Fifty

Well,GCQuinton only has 47 posts in two seasons of reliable play, so maybe you don't need to post here that often to be a player in the league. Still..Bob is like Astrolad (flying across the country and playing at 3 am routinely) compared to pb

Top 10 Posters:

Rorschach - 1266
FMT - 1038
CB - 917
Astro - 709
Wellie - 676
Matrix - 552
Lonestar - 536
Smokey - 526
Livewire - 490
DCX - 484
Fifty ( 11th place! ) - 462

Bottom 5:
Ramirez - 202
Denog - 184
Birdman - 159
GCQuinton - 47
Peterboy - 9

Birdman02

ph33nix said:
you guys really scheduled it for tomorrow? its surprising that peterboy wouldn't be around today.

Well, I wouldn't be able to play until tonight, but his PM sounded like he wouldn't be able to play at all today anyway.

Birdman02 said:
Well, I wouldn't be able to play until tonight, but his PM sounded like he wouldn't be able to play at all today anyway.

would you be ok if it was simmed? I highly doubt the CPU chiefs will prevail over the CPU jags. its a risk you can take if you want but I'm not gonna force the issue
although we'll all love you

and even if the chiefs lose its a better draft pick for them!

LiveWire

Hey Matrix, I wasn't able to make it into work today to pick up my box. Definitely tomorrow though, before the week advances. I'll be available anytime after 5:30PM Eastern tomorrow.

Birdman02

ph33nix said:
would you be ok if it was simmed? I highly doubt the CPU chiefs will prevail over the CPU jags. its a risk you can take if you want but I'm not gonna force the issue
although we'll all love you

and even if the chiefs lose its a better draft pick for them!

Hell no I don't want to sim it!! I only have a 1 game lead over Luke, and he holds all the meaningful EA tiebreakers (alphabetical, points scored, point differential). I don't wanna miss the playoffs beacuse of a simmed loss to the Chiefs, however unlikely it might be.

I would be fine with booting him and letting me play the CPU though!!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
*shotgun to head*

Livewire, lets set a time. Can you play at either 8 pm est or 9 pm est?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Ok cool, 8 pm est tomorrow.

Top Bottom