• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Xbox 360 Online Franchise: A World Without Favre

the problem in the passing game is definitely the speed of the CB's. take a look at any random NFL games and watch the CB's. a lot of times you see a CB 5-10 yards off the receiver. why? because they need time to react. playing a bump and run is very dangerous especially if you don't get pressure on the qb. given that pressure is hard to come by in this years madden, we should be seeing a lot of deep plays due to all the bump and run/tight coverage the league plays. but we don't because CB's are able to keep up with the wr's.

that's not to say there are no possibilities for big plays, but it's just not fair to the offense because you basically have to have bump and run happening with NO safety help and even then usually the play is tight (wr has to go up and make a play).

they either need to tone down the speed, or add an animation (as LJ said) for the cb's to turn.

bluemax

Banned
Mrbob said:
I would probably say the vast majority of ints this season are people not willing to take a sack on a play. I'm guilty of this plenty of times. Would be nice if there was an easier way to throw away the ball. With the current setting if you are in the pocket and want to throw it away it is intentional grounding. In the NFL you see QBs all the time with no one open and in the pocket overthrow his WR out of bounds to avoid the sack and losing yardage. There is no way to do this in madden.
Agreed. I know that probably a third of my ints are times when a real Qb wouldve thrown it away. If there was an easier way to do this I think league wide ints would drop.

I definitely feel that spidey sense and other BS picks are way down this year. I get more upset at myself for a throw than at the game. Could also be that I just avoid the riskier throws too.

TheCrow

CB3 said:
his connection will drop anyway. Sim it!

:lol

I am 2 for 2 in completing games on my first connection since I've been home. Me and storybook are going to play at around 10 est, conflicting diner schedules D: I'll post a link to the stream when we are about to start.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
yup. i tend to know as soon as the ball leaves the QB's hand if I made a mistake. its rarely some spidey sense garbage that used to happen alot in previous maddens.

I think alot of this is "im losing and not doing well so it must be maddens fault".

LukeSmith

FrenchMovieTheme said:
the problem in the passing game is definitely the speed of the CB's. take a look at any random NFL games and watch the CB's. a lot of times you see a CB 5-10 yards off the receiver. why? because they need time to react. playing a bump and run is very dangerous especially if you don't get pressure on the qb. given that pressure is hard to come by in this years madden, we should be seeing a lot of deep plays due to all the bump and run/tight coverage the league plays. but we don't because CB's are able to keep up with the wr's.

that's not to say there are no possibilities for big plays, but it's just not fair to the offense because you basically have to have bump and run happening with NO safety help and even then usually the play is tight (wr has to go up and make a play).

Everyone* plays press blitz in our league these days. High Press corners are godly in '10.
That's another reason why you're not going to see shit going to the outside.

First read (against press blitz) is the defender over the TE or over the Slot, second read is whichever of the two of those you looked past and third read is a check down to the flats. So then what you'll see smart defenders do, because of the way the game works this year, is Press Blitz and then manually cheat up the safety or play MLB to take away the TE or the Slot on the Press Blitz. It's not rocket science, but it's no big deal to leave your corners 1:1 with any receiver in this game.

*not everyone, but a lot of folks.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
though there are 5 games left, and that's 10 teams left to play, as of now, the league has thrown the ball about 950 less times than last year.

Season 1:

7782 for 12550 104086 yards (62% for 13.375 ypc and 8.294 ypa)

Season 2:

7074 for 11600 103000 yards (60.98% for 14.56 ypc and 8.879 ypa)

So, less times, for lower completion %, but for more yards per average completion and attempt.

32 teams = 16 games each = 512 games

S1: 203.29 ypg, 15.19 completions, 24.51 attempts
S2: 205.17 ypg, 14.09 completions, 23.10 attempts

LukeSmith

Lonestar said:
though there are 5 games left, and that's 10 teams left to play, as of now, the league has thrown the ball about 950 less times than last year.

Season 1:

7782 for 12550 104086 yards (62% for 13.375 ypc and 8.294 ypa)

Season 2:

7074 for 11600 103000 yards (60.98% for 14.56 ypc and 8.879 ypa)

So, less times, for lower completion %, but for more yards per average completion and attempt.

I'd bet that the bigger yards per completion and attempt are the result of some speedy rookie contributions.

Rorschach

Long ball isn't completely dead. I'll show you guys next season with my new WR. At least I'm able to beat the press and make people pay with the online roster. :(

LukeSmith said:
I'd bet that the bigger yards per completion and attempt are the result of some speedy rookie contributions.
For our HB passing members.

LukeSmith

Rorschach said:
Long ball isn't completely dead. I'll show you guys next season with my new WR. At least I'm able to beat the press and make people pay with the online roster. :(

How is Zach Miller going to take his reduced role :(

Lonestar

LukeSmith said:

I'd place "blame" on these players:
Santonio Holmes
Jeremy Maclin
Taurean Barclay
Giovanni Girley

Azaveus Phelps
Steve Smith
Lee Evans
Chad Ochocinco
Todd Heap
Josh Morgan
Mark Clayton
Andre Johnson
Miles Austin
Randy Moss
Ted Ginn
Jimmy Manning
Wes Welker
Antonio Bryant
The Other Steve Smith
Brandon Trammell

All these guys had at least 20 catches, and at least 20 YPC. Bolded are the rookies that I know of.

Rorschach

Santonio is badass. He breaks a tackle on every catch almost. :lol
LukeSmith said:
How is Zach Miller going to take his reduced role :(
Same way he did last season and every season since he's been drafted. Maybe I'll draft a fast tight end and make him share the load like Girley did for you team.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Jeremy Maclin
Taurean Barclay

DwightSmile.jpg

Lonestar

I'm wondering where Barclay is. I assume your slot guy, and you just Slot people to death :p

I completed a pass, 55 less times than season 1, I threw to 11 players versus 14 last season, and only 4 people from my S1 team caught a pass this year, and only 5 are still on the team (poor old, unused Marony)

LiveWire

Nice FMT. Effin' Blackheart. :lol

I was really hoping for a come-from-behind victory with Team Mega Man. Servbot came up a bit....short. :lol

Somnia

Shit I need to remember to take down my players stats and shit. I really wish they would just show the +/- at the end of the year =(

LiveWire said:
Nice FMT. Effin' Blackheart. :lol

I was really hoping for a come-from-behind victory with Team Mega Man. Servbot came up a bit....short. :lol

i was going to post a pic of blackheart and googled the name to find this:

2007_ghost_rider_062.jpg

i never saw ghost rider but are you fucking kidding me? :lol

my buddy came over and wanted to play some madden. sorry fellas!

what is the status for the remaining games? bluemax did you get internet or do we need a fill-in?

it also looks like i'll have to sim the chargers-chiefs game as smokey doesn't have an xbox for another 2 to 3 weeks :/ so if he gets into the playoffs that is going to cause some problems....

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
LJ11 said:
If EA nerfs defense anymore than they already have there won't be a reason to play. Problem is the deep ball, it's MIA. Everyone protects the middle of the field first, they squat with a safety even when they have mediocre corners because you can't get by them in one on situations. What's the point of PA, it only sucks up the middle linebackers. If you fuck up with a safety you're okay because your corners have your ass covered.

I complained going into this year that defenders (CB's), don't flip their hips and commit to a deep route when they're covering a deep third. You have to flip your hips at some point unless you're playing 15 yards off the line. It's common to have a receiver run a 10 yard vertical stem route, and if he's even with a DB playing a deep third he has the option to go deep, if not he breaks it off and runs a comeback. It's the most common shit, yet in madden, the DB stays in his backpeddle forever.

You can run some route combos, send a WR deep to clear a DB playing a deep third with a slot receiver running a corner route. The corner route should be a very completable route if there is no underneath defender to defend the corner route, because the DB should have flipped his hips and taken the deep WR. Yet in Madden, he stays in his backpeddle, and is magically able to defend both the deep ball and the corner. Granted some corners do a better job at defending both routes than others, so it's still a feasible option. But ninja DBs exist because these fuckers don't flip their hips.

With respect to leaping LBs, you need to do a better job at reading coverages and sending guys in front of said defenders. LB AI is atrocious in pass coverage compared to '09 or even '08. I still think int totals are a product of everyone defending the middle of the field first.

There are a couple of caveats to the following that I will outline, but here are my thoughts on this issue:

I've seen defenders carry WRs 20 yards upfield in a backpedal, but I think you may be overrating the flip. The flip will never be accuratey portrayed in a game so I don't know what exactly you are looking for.

What governs how quickly/well a defender flips is their AGI rating, and for the most part, CBs have such high AGI ratings that they can spin in place and not lose much momentum. To be honest, from the times I tested it, it looks like their ACC doesn't matter and it's almost all straight line speed.

If you were to run a post, corner, in, out, or slant that is when the flip is more important.

The numbers to watch are ACC/AGI of the receiver versus that of the defending CB. The defender will back pedal until the receiver makes his break, true to the NFL. At the point of the break the one with the higher AGI will get into and get out of the cut faster than the other. The next 5-6 steps are governed by the ACC rating - this is what separates the elite CBs from the mediocre ones. If you notice the better CBs in the league have 92+ ratings for ACC and they can close on the ball to make bats or picks.

It's easy to take advantage of this system if you have proper timing IMO.

I started alluding to some of this a bit back

Wellington said:
I have to respectfully disagree with you guys. In fact, I think that you must throw passes in anticipation in order to avoid some picks. Outs especially, defenders always play the inside on the horizontal routes.

I think this year's version is the best as far as passing goes since 2004 and I think our numbers reflect that. Wanting an overhaul is kind of crazy, considering the scores and passing yardage in our league.

I am surprised you guys are saying this as both your 1/2 receivers have great RTE and AGI ratings, the two determining factors for how routes are run (once in the open field, RLS rating is king, IMO). I always throw prior to the cut on posts, be it to WRs, TEs, or RBs. In fact, I've gone as far as making Nicks my #2 WR because the #2 routes in my PB are not as complicated as the ones for the slot or #1 guy. (And the fact that no matter what he is my second read, so I would never look at him before the cut is made).

The caveats:

1) Game difficulty - DBs break at the same time or before WRs in All Madden.
2) Press coverage - This here is where SPD becomes a huge factor (after the PRS/RLS matchup_

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:

my buddy came over and wanted to play some madden. sorry fellas!

what is the status for the remaining games? bluemax did you get internet or do we need a fill-in?

it also looks like i'll have to sim the chargers-chiefs game as smokey doesn't have an xbox for another 2 to 3 weeks :/ so if he gets into the playoffs that is going to cause some problems....
Wow... that would suck that not only is he not supposed to be in the playoffs in the first place, but that we could have a simmed playoff game. Why not give peter the win? :| Smokey played the cpu anyway...turnabout? :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
is smokey not able to play from his friend's anymore? smokey if you don't know anyone with a 360 maybe go to a manga shop or something and make some friends there

AstroLad said:
is smokey not able to play from his friend's anymore? smokey if you don't know anyone with a 360 maybe go to a manga shop or something and make some friends there

i dont know he hasn't posted. he pm'ed me asking that we extend but i think most of us have been subject to sims so that wouldn't be fair.

not sure how to resolve this particular issue :/

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
nein. i'm bout to eat dinner here with my guests but i can probably play after. tonight is probably better than tomorrow fwiw as i have tons of work shit tomorrow all day well into the night

Smokey

I've sent Peter a PM but at this point do w/e you want I'm sick of people bitching about how I shouldn't be in the playoffs and this and that. Why not have my game simmed right because hey, I'm not supposed to be there anyway so who gives a shit about Smokey's last game. I've been trying to find a replacement Xbox for the past few days but I shouldn't be in the playoffs (right) so why the fuck am I bothering using energy and inconveniencing other people to hear others in the league constantly bitch about my situation. I had to play the CPU this year so what, that is not my fault. Maybe if the league had an official way of dealing with people who cannot play their games I wouldn't have to constantly read bitching. From me "running up the score" to playing against the CPU I'm pretty much tired of being thrown under the bus by the league.

I've sat here and tried to not say shit about it but I'm tired of reading the BS. If it was anybody else in this league who has been involved longer I guarantee they wouldn't be dealing with this same shit I have been this year.

So do w/e you want.

well the other thing i dont want is for him to get it last minute and then your schedule doesn't allow you to play anyways.

bluemax you around? any status update on your internet?

Birdman02

Rorschach said:
Wow... that would suck that not only is he not supposed to be in the playoffs in the first place, but that we could have a simmed playoff game. Why not give peter the win? :| Smokey played the cpu anyway...turnabout? :p

I actually think this sounds like a fair option. I think we should do what we can to get the teams that should be there (according to NFL tiebreakers) into the playoffs! ;)

Also, I should be able to get my game against you or whoever is filling in for the Titan's sometime tonight...just not sure exactly when I'll be home.

EDIT: Smokey, just so you know, this isn't an attack against you....I'm just trying to get Rors to do the right thing and tank so the Titan's get the #1 pick, and I can get in the playoffs.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Smokey said:
I've sent Peter a PM but at this point do w/e you want I'm sick of people bitching about how I shouldn't be in the playoffs and this and that. Why not have my game simmed right because hey, I'm not supposed to be there anyway so who gives a shit about Smokey's last game. I've been trying to find a replacement Xbox for the past few days but I shouldn't be in the playoffs (right) so why the fuck am I bothering using energy and inconveniencing other people to hear others in the league constantly bitch about my situation. I had to play the CPU this year so what, that is not my fault. Maybe if the league had an official way of dealing with people who cannot play their games I wouldn't have to constantly read bitching. From me "running up the score" to playing against the CPU I'm pretty much tired of being thrown under the bus by the league.

I've sat here and tried to not say shit about it but I'm tired of reading the BS. If it was anybody else in this league who has been involved longer I guarantee they wouldn't be dealing with this same shit I have been this year.

So do w/e you want.
so you're saying there's a chance!?
a_chance.jpeg

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Fifty said:
Your connection's working finally, and now you're pressing your luck by hosting this 1940's-quality stream.

I was going to say, this stream quality is awful.

Top Bottom